PDA

View Full Version : Just had a pregnancy shed holy guacamole

Strands
April 12th, 2018, 11:09 PM
I really freaking wish I took pictures, but maybe I am glad I didn't. I feel like I lost all my successful growth in a way. shudder::knitfrog:

I just lost 15-20% of my hair. You think I kid, I do not kid. My buns are so much thinner that there is an extra inch visible on my forks than used to be on the same styles of buns. :(

I lost so much hair... I had a horror situation during my c-section involving high dosaging of drugs to compensate during and after surgery, but I have NEVER lost this much hair before. It is a good thing I have so much hair to begin with and it is fairly bushy or I would look borderline balding now.

But anyways - Is this relatable to anyone else post-partum? (BTW I am 4 months PP on Saturday. :D)

GalaMoon
April 12th, 2018, 11:59 PM
Yep, that's what happened to me at 4 months PP. The increased shedding lasted about a month, then, a month later, I could already see new growth at the hairline. That was a little over two years ago and I've regained the thickness I had before the shed (but my hair is not nearly as long as yours, so it might take a wee bit longer until the thickness travels down to your hemline). It's scary but perfectly normal. I think there's also a big thread about this topic on here, in case you want to check it out for ideas on how to handle the new situation. Congrats on the new family member, may he/she bring you lots of joy!

Beeboo123
April 13th, 2018, 12:02 AM
Posts like this make me fear for my hair if I ever do get pregnant in future... Was your shedding spread out, or in patches? My mom lost two huge patches around her temples after giving birth to my little brother, I hope that isn’t in my future...

lapushka
April 13th, 2018, 05:11 AM
PP shedding can be bad. My mom *never fully* recovered from it. She lost about 1/3 of her hair due to it. That was the 70s when wigs were a thing here, so that's how she managed that. She had see-through hair at some point. There's still a picture with me age 9 months and her with her hair in a beehive and you can sort of see it if you know what to look for.

I'd really keep taking the pre-natals especially when breastfeeding.

My mom also didn't have that during pregnancy, and I made her lose 3 teeth (calcium).

spitfire511
April 13th, 2018, 08:10 AM
Oh my - sooooo sorry - and YEP - totally relatable.

We can't gain the lovely thickness that we do while PG without having to lose it later.

I did with both of mine. One frustrated me enough that I gave up and chopped back to SL. The other I toughed out.

I think *most* people regain most if not all of their thickness back. I did - and then some as I topped 40 (after another MAJOR shed that scared the poop out of me.)

HUGS - It's hard enough with all the hormones running amok PP and caring for a little one without stressing this too! :grouphug:

Strands
April 13th, 2018, 08:19 AM
Yep, that's what happened to me at 4 months PP. The increased shedding lasted about a month, then, a month later, I could already see new growth at the hairline. That was a little over two years ago and I've regained the thickness I had before the shed (but my hair is not nearly as long as yours, so it might take a wee bit longer until the thickness travels down to your hemline). It's scary but perfectly normal. I think there's also a big thread about this topic on here, in case you want to check it out for ideas on how to handle the new situation. Congrats on the new family member, may he/she bring you lots of joy!

Glad to hear this is not abnormal. I did NOT experience nearly this amount of hair loss with either of my two previous pregnancies. I remember losing like a brush full on the last two, but this time was enough hair that I could have crocheted a set of 12 doilies with it - it was excessive to say the least.

I will look for that thread, I did not see it when I searched it on the site? Do you have a link to it?

Strands
April 13th, 2018, 08:21 AM
Posts like this make me fear for my hair if I ever do get pregnant in future... Was your shedding spread out, or in patches? My mom lost two huge patches around her temples after giving birth to my little brother, I hope that isn’t in my future...

Oh god no, no patch loss here. All spread out. I am afraid I might loose more yet but with the bulk I have lost so far I just do not think that will happen. At least I pray not.

I am considering taking a hair/nails/skin vitamin or something. IDK what else to do. :/

Alex Lou
April 13th, 2018, 08:23 AM
Around the 3 month mark pp I was losing handfuls of hair every day. I think I lost about a third of my thickness overall and all the hair from my temples needed to grow back. It's one of those situations where having thick hair to begin with is a really good thing. 2 years pp and I don't notice the difference although I'm sure my length is thinner.

There is a thread somewhere that I found useful at the time in which the op tracked her regrowth in photos.

YvetteVarie
April 13th, 2018, 08:24 AM
I'm sorry about the PP shed OP. It also happened to me last year from 4 months PP. I still haven't regained my thickness, but its better than what it used to be. My entire hairline had gone bald.

Congratulations on the new family member

Strands
April 13th, 2018, 08:55 AM
PP shedding can be bad. My mom *never fully* recovered from it. She lost about 1/3 of her hair due to it. That was the 70s when wigs were a thing here, so that's how she managed that. She had see-through hair at some point. There's still a picture with me age 9 months and her with her hair in a beehive and you can sort of see it if you know what to look for.

I'd really keep taking the pre-natals especially when breastfeeding.

My mom also didn't have that during pregnancy, and I made her lose 3 teeth (calcium).

Your mom's situation sounds like mine. :/ Not a third of hair, but a lot. Like I said, I think 15-20% of my hair based on circumference of my ponytail and bunning size.

I am taking my vitamins, and will make sure I keep taking them. I am suspicious that I should take a hair/skin/nails... my nails seem thinner lately as well, and like I said I am 4 months PP and breastfeeding so maybe something is wrong?

JESUS THE WOMAN LOST TEETH?!? :bigeyes:

I BETTER KEEP MY CALCIUM CONSUMPTION UP. :cheese::cheese::cheese::gobblecheese::gobblechees e::gobblecheese:

Strands
April 13th, 2018, 08:57 AM
Oh my - sooooo sorry - and YEP - totally relatable.

We can't gain the lovely thickness that we do while PG without having to lose it later.

I did with both of mine. One frustrated me enough that I gave up and chopped back to SL. The other I toughed out.

I think *most* people regain most if not all of their thickness back. I did - and then some as I topped 40 (after another MAJOR shed that scared the poop out of me.)

HUGS - It's hard enough with all the hormones running amok PP and caring for a little one without stressing this too! :grouphug:

I am waaaaay to attached to my hair to cut it, in fact this whole thing makes me NOT want a cut. haha. But I am glad you toughed it out. How long did it take you to notice better thickness after your shed? and then what caused that shed later??

Thanks for your love and support!

lapushka
April 13th, 2018, 10:09 AM
Your mom's situation sounds like mine. :/ Not a third of hair, but a lot. Like I said, I think 15-20% of my hair based on circumference of my ponytail and bunning size.

I am taking my vitamins, and will make sure I keep taking them. I am suspicious that I should take a hair/skin/nails... my nails seem thinner lately as well, and like I said I am 4 months PP and breastfeeding so maybe something is wrong?

JESUS THE WOMAN LOST TEETH?!? :bigeyes:

I BETTER KEEP MY CALCIUM CONSUMPTION UP. :cheese::cheese::cheese::gobblecheese::gobblechees e::gobblecheese:

Yes during pregnancy. She wore those tiny dentures for *years*, they fit her like a glove, but yes 3 teeth. No prenatals in the 70s in Belgium and she has a high metabolism, so she just couldn't keep up with the needs a baby had. I just sucked the calcium right out of her, that's what the doctor said.

spitfire511
April 13th, 2018, 10:29 AM
Well TBH there was a looong period of time when benign neglect was my friend. When my son was born it was long enough to go up and it stayed that way or braided so I could ignore it.

I'd say it was probably a grand total of a couple of years (I know that doesn't sound promising, but it is!) before I was truly happy with my hair again. But I had a lot of fun with updos and paranda (I might have just spelled that wrong) in the mean time - that got pretty easy because my ends were a little thinner so they actually tucked in way better than my heavy hemline did.

The later shed I'm attributing to hormones - I was on BC for a while, then got off of it (I have TERRIBLE emotional/mental reactions to synthetic hormones) and I think that caused the shed. It was worse than either pregnancy shed by a long shot. I'm now dealing with those 3" long pieces coming up everywhere (especially right at the hairline in front ARGH!) but am just glad my ponytail has stopped being sad!

Alex Lou
April 13th, 2018, 01:37 PM
Yes during pregnancy. She wore those tiny dentures for *years*, they fit her like a glove, but yes 3 teeth. No prenatals in the 70s in Belgium and she has a high metabolism, so she just couldn't keep up with the needs a baby had. I just sucked the calcium right out of her, that's what the doctor said.

I think her doctor in the 70s was wrong about the calcium. If a woman's diet is deficient in calcium during pregnancy, the calcium will be pulled from her bones, not her teeth. Tooth loss during pregnancy happens due to gingivitis leading to periodontal disease due to hormonal changes. Periodontal disease affects about 40% of pregnant women.

Upside Down
April 13th, 2018, 01:58 PM
I had a bad pp shed too a few years back. It didn’t last too long but I also think I lost almost 1/3 of my hair. And then it was growing back in but the ends looked so thin... anyway I cut it for several reasons and it feels so thick now lol... or not-lol
Unlol.

Darn it pp sheds suck.

lapushka
April 13th, 2018, 02:35 PM
I think her doctor in the 70s was wrong about the calcium. If a woman's diet is deficient in calcium during pregnancy, the calcium will be pulled from her bones, not her teeth. Tooth loss during pregnancy happens due to gingivitis leading to periodontal disease due to hormonal changes. Periodontal disease affects about 40% of pregnant women.

My mom had no gum disease, sorry. I trust the doc, he was an internist and knew my mom inside out, also the dentist at the time didn't notice anything "off".

misspriss
April 13th, 2018, 02:38 PM
I lost hair by the handful for months, from about 3 to 6 months PP with all my pregnancies. It just finally is starting to feel like it is coming back and YDS is almost 8 months. I have a TON of baby hairs now, they are starting to be noticeable.

Alissalocks
April 13th, 2018, 04:42 PM
Hey Strands, welcome back girl!! Yup, I too lost tons of hair at the end of my "fourth trimester" for both my pregnancies. More the first kiddo than the second, as I remember? Eventually, as others have said, it seemed to normalize so don't worry. It's totally hormonal and natural.

Hugs and kisses to your new sweet one :cloud9: and enjoy your lengths no matter the thickness ;)