With my hair of course.. LOL
back home my mom would deal with this but now I live with my DBF
he got kind of mad the other week because I’ve clogged the drain
but have done nothing about it...

how do you all deal with this? XD
how do I unclog a drain... LOL

Ophidian
April 12th, 2018, 06:30 PM
:rollin: This has just recently started happening to me too. My SO pulled a ton out of the drain and was like WHAT IS THIS (he's never had long hair). I also had a near miss with the vacuum cleaner but that's another story....

Congratulations on the milestone:p

spidermom
April 12th, 2018, 06:31 PM
Hemostats are best for sticking down in the drain and grabbing the hair plug. Peeeyuuuu; it will stink! If no hemostats. try tweezers. Just reach down and squeeze them shut, then pull upward.

Oh, and a coat hanger with a little hook in the end can work, too. Have the trash nearby.

lithostoic
April 12th, 2018, 06:46 PM
Ya gotta pull it out. I use a silicone hair catcher over my drain and it makes a huge difference. I never need to clean the drain out anymore.

DweamGoiL
April 12th, 2018, 06:48 PM
I use these (https://www.amazon.com/FATHER-SON-Drain-Remover-Snake-Cleaning/dp/B01N1Z6IFJ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1523580393&sr=8-5&keywords=drain+unclogger+tool). Easy to use, cheap, and reusable.

EdG
April 12th, 2018, 07:03 PM
Get a drain auger. I used this one (https://www.doitbest.com/products/407991) to unclog my shower drain recently. The clog was 6-7 feet away from the drain. You may be able to get by with a shorter one if the clog is closer to the drain.
Ed

MoonRabbit
April 12th, 2018, 07:16 PM
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread lol. I still can't find a catcher that will fit in my drain. We have a weird one where the plug threads in the center and around it is metal cross bars, kind of like bicycle spokes so sticking anything in there is nearly impossible. I just try to clear the drain after every shower since most of the hair will get stuck on top of the bars.

At least my partner also has long hair so I'm not the only one to be blamed :p

prairie lark
April 12th, 2018, 07:18 PM
I use these (https://www.amazon.com/FATHER-SON-Drain-Remover-Snake-Cleaning/dp/B01N1Z6IFJ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1523580393&sr=8-5&keywords=drain+unclogger+tool). Easy to use, cheap, and reusable.

These are so handy. :thumbsup: Bonus, the dollar store closest to me has them -- love no shipping

Definitely get a drain screen to pop over the drain when you empty your bath or use the shower.

Garnetgem
April 12th, 2018, 07:28 PM
I have had a clogged drain recently tried everything to remove but no matter what it wouldn't budge..in the end had to call out the plumber and wow the size of the hair sausage or make that the three hair sausages were huge!
they looked like a dead rodent's and it really stank the house out once removed...it was 15 years worth of hair so you can imagine the amount!

if not a huge amount you could try a crochet hook down there it can work...

prairie lark
April 12th, 2018, 08:09 PM
they looked like a dead rodent's and it really stank the house out ...

sewer rats is the Technical Term according to a good friend who happens to be a plumber :D

prairie lark
April 12th, 2018, 08:09 PM
whoops! double post

Shorty89
April 12th, 2018, 08:23 PM
Hemostats are best for sticking down in the drain and grabbing the hair plug. Peeeyuuuu; it will stink! If no hemostats. try tweezers. Just reach down and squeeze them shut, then pull upward.

Oh, and a coat hanger with a little hook in the end can work, too. Have the trash nearby.

I usually use needle nose pliers. But yes, it can really stink. At my old place, before I got a hair catcher, I would pull out foot long clumps of hair, conditioner and soap. Yuck!

spirals
April 12th, 2018, 09:24 PM
Am I the only one without this problem? Well, it happens, but it's extremely rare. I've been in this place almost 10 years and I've had to use Drano in the tub exactly twice. The sink is a different story.

Larki
April 12th, 2018, 09:32 PM
I have a Tubshroom, super easy. Had it for almost a year now, I think, and it's wonderful.

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 12th, 2018, 10:32 PM
I need to get a stopper or was going to, but I moved here in November and the shower drain isn’t like the one at home.
It’s got like this “topper”... I’ll have to fiddle with it. Either that or have the matenince guy of our building do something.
After reading these comments I’m kind of afraid to deal with it now XD

Rehab350
April 12th, 2018, 11:37 PM
Don't forget to use one of these when talking shower. I still couldn't unclog my drain yet so I'm following.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OCEBMFM/ref=psdcmw_344740011_t3_B06W2MPGZV

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 13th, 2018, 01:31 AM
So i think i fixed it. LOL

Hexen
April 13th, 2018, 04:44 AM
I actually find this to be a very humorous thread. Humorous, albeit compassionately understandable. One of the most disgusting things that I feel that i can, and have...come into contact with...is a sicko wet slimy amalgam of hair thats been accumulating within a confined space. Ohhhh man!!!! Even though I know its all my own hair.....I am completely repulsed when I have to dig it out physically. And YES...Draino....has been a great utility at times. But I smile....widely...when I find myself pouring draino into my tub/shower drain.

I have actually envisioned a specific tool for this....and I am going to develop a prototype and become a zillionair hahaha. :)

Simple has often times meant historically prevalent and utilized. ....right??? lol

Props to those unlucky , yet willing,...individuals whos job it is to clean the public showers of a well patroned athletic club.

lapushka
April 13th, 2018, 04:55 AM
Ya gotta pull it out. I use a silicone hair catcher over my drain and it makes a huge difference. I never need to clean the drain out anymore.

I have a drain catcher too. My mom uses one too. Everywhere you need to wash your hair, put one of those down. It's not worth it clogging your drain.

We use a liquid to pour in there with just a bit of sodium hydroxide (not totally because plastic piping can't handle that), and it so far is nice! You need to get the ones that say "safe for plastic piping", because that's the new generation of pipes when we build an extension to the house. It's not "improvement" if you ask me. Far less nasty products you can use to unclog.

lapushka
April 13th, 2018, 04:56 AM
So i think i fixed it. LOL

Oh that's great!

:thumbsup:

I was a little late to this thread, apparently! :o

MusicalSpoons
April 13th, 2018, 10:31 AM
Glad OP has fixed it! But just wanted to add, in case this is helpful for anyone else, we use a very cheap metal ... thing. I've seen it described as a sink strainer? Anyway, it cost less than £1 at the time and has been going strong for some years. It looks something like this
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/872/40718535294_a5dfa82da0_q.jpg

It is for a very basic plug hole, but there must be something that can be used with the newer fancier ones. It's definitely worth it to find something that works :)

Flowerness
April 13th, 2018, 01:06 PM
I was in the middle of reading this when I stopped what I was doing and went to go clean out my shower drain. It had been a little bit slow lately draining. You'd think I'd pulled out a softball's worth of hair from down there. Yuk! (I actually stopped up the plumbing in my house once, by flushing the gigantic ball of hair instead of throwing it away. Had to have someone come and fix it. Whoops!)

lapushka
April 13th, 2018, 02:38 PM
Glad OP has fixed it! But just wanted to add, in case this is helpful for anyone else, we use a very cheap metal ... thing. I've seen it described as a sink strainer? Anyway, it cost less than £1 at the time and has been going strong for some years. It looks something like this
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/872/40718535294_a5dfa82da0_q.jpg

It is for a very basic plug hole, but there must be something that can be used with the newer fancier ones. It's definitely worth it to find something that works :)

We have lots of those; we get them from discount stores. They're nice!

Trip
April 13th, 2018, 02:51 PM
Congrats lol

spidermom
April 13th, 2018, 05:45 PM
We have a plastic hair catcher to put over the drain now, but hair gets under it because I still occasionally have to fish out a hair plug. We had a stopper in the drain that you could press down to fill the tub, but I took it apart the first time the drain got clogged, so it's an open drain now, and bought a plug for baths.

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 14th, 2018, 12:22 AM
We have a plastic hair catcher to put over the drain now, but hair gets under it because I still occasionally have to fish out a hair plug. We had a stopper in the drain that you could press down to fill the tub, but I took it apart the first time the drain got clogged, so it's an open drain now, and bought a plug for baths.

That’s like how ours is.
Eh, we’re moving out in August so I’ll clog it up and then ditch the place.
LOL

lapushka
April 14th, 2018, 04:34 AM
That’s like how ours is.
Eh, we’re moving out in August so I’ll clog it up and then ditch the place.
LOL

All kidding aside, I'd take this time to learn how *not* to clog the drain, so this comes in handy in your new place. You don't want to have it happen there, surely. ;)

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 15th, 2018, 01:27 PM
All kidding aside, I'd take this time to learn how *not* to clog the drain, so this comes in handy in your new place. You don't want to have it happen there, surely. ;)

Haha I’m going to have to learn tub matenience in general.
For whatever reason the products I use leave the worst soap residue and funk behind.

lapushka
April 15th, 2018, 02:21 PM
Haha I’m going to have to learn tub matenience in general.
For whatever reason the products I use leave the worst soap residue and funk behind.

Yeah well if you clean the tub/shower after every use I'm sure it's do-able. My mom does this every time with a scouring product (Cif).

lmfbs
April 15th, 2018, 11:15 PM
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread lol. I still can't find a catcher that will fit in my drain. We have a weird one where the plug threads in the center and around it is metal cross bars, kind of like bicycle spokes so sticking anything in there is nearly impossible. I just try to clear the drain after every shower since most of the hair will get stuck on top of the bars.

At least my partner also has long hair so I'm not the only one to be blamed :p

I've seen silicone ones that sit basically flush with the drain - I'm sure if you spent some time on amazon or something you'd find something suitable!

MoonRabbit
April 16th, 2018, 09:41 AM
I've seen silicone ones that sit basically flush with the drain - I'm sure if you spent some time on amazon or something you'd find something suitable!

Ah! Thanks for the tip!

SnowDancer
April 16th, 2018, 03:02 PM
My husband always cleans out the drains with tweezers while scolding me.

He loves my long hair though.
I just never think to unclog it myself. Out of sight, out of mind I guess.

ravenskey
April 16th, 2018, 03:09 PM
I make hair art on the shower walls while letting the conditioner soak in - if I didn't carefully pick up ever hair I saw the drain would be blocked like every week. :doh:

SnowDancer
April 16th, 2018, 03:13 PM
I make hair art on the shower walls while letting the conditioner soak in - if I didn't carefully pick up ever hair I saw the drain would be blocked like every week. :doh:

When I was still putting the conditioner on my scalp I would lose so much hair in the shower that I would do this too. Now I only lose a few strands and they don't get stuck between my fingers. :lol:

lapushka
April 16th, 2018, 03:32 PM
I have one of those hair catcher thingies, and it gets cleaned out after shampooing (hair's in there), after conditioning (hair's in there), after conditioning again (hair's again in there), and final rinse (again hair). So you tend to lose a lot while washing, and it only becomes apparent once you "install" one of those plug thingies.

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 16th, 2018, 08:44 PM
I have one of those hair catcher thingies, and it gets cleaned out after shampooing (hair's in there), after conditioning (hair's in there), after conditioning again (hair's again in there), and final rinse (again hair). So you tend to lose a lot while washing, and it only becomes apparent once you "install" one of those plug thingies.
I think if I installed one of those things it would make me freak out lmao

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 16th, 2018, 08:45 PM
I think if I installed one of those things it would make me freak out lmao

Jo Ann
April 16th, 2018, 09:32 PM
I'm the one who cleans out the shower drain (and other minor plumbing maintenance). For the shower drain, I use an old metal crochet hook (about a size 2) and needle-nose pliers (needle nose for the MASS, crochet hook for what's left behind). For some reason, Mom thinks MINE is the ONLY hair what clogs the drain... :lala: I have YET to use a "snake" (auger, if you will) to go beyond the shower, and we've had our Happy Hacienda for 44 years *knocks wood*

Rebecca, when the water drains quickly out of the shower, you know you got your clog taken care of :cool:

lapushka
April 17th, 2018, 05:37 AM
We're here for 42 almost 43 years now, Jo Ann.

Rebeccalaurenxx, better in the "thingie" (why do I keep calling it that) than in the drain. And I love being able to keep an eye on what I shed from "product use"! I think that's the most important shed. Not before the wash, and after a bit more, but during when using new shampoos and such, I want to see what it takes out of my head!

Jo Ann
April 17th, 2018, 06:01 AM
Lapushka, at this stage, I'd be afraid to use an auger/"snake" to clean further than the shower! :shocked:

For right now, though, if it's not broken, I'm NOT going to fix it :p