PDA

View Full Version : Another Biotin warning

Caraid♫
April 12th, 2018, 02:39 PM
I've been taking biotin at a megadosing level for just over a month now (5000 mcg) and definitely came across advice that megadosing (water soluble or not!) is a bad idea yet did it anyways because some people take that much and have no problems.
Now the symptoms I've been having are totally random, I can't find a source online of them being related to biotin, but they a) showed up about a month after starting b) decreased the first day after stopping the biotin and c)disappeared completely the second day ... I figure if you're having weird symptoms and the only thing you've recently changed in your life is taking a RIDICULOUSLY larger than recommended dosage of something, maybe it's not too far of a stretch that they are related?

My symptoms that were constantly there for a week and a half were abdominal cramps, lower back cramps, tingly/numb lower back and hips, feeling dehydrated, and sore lower ribs. It finally occurred to me hey maybe I should try stopping the biotin and, boom, the symptoms completely disappeared in 2 days!

Anyone else experience such a thing? Is it a crazy leap to attribute them to the biotin? Is it more likely coincidence that the symptoms went away the same time I stopped biotin? It was so strange and am so happy I feel normal now! The only other thing I could think of was pregnancy haha(I'm not pregnant!)

Anyways, I have no proof biotin causes those side effects, just wanted to say proceed with caution when thinking of taking really huge amounts. It did, by the way, totally increase my hair growth! But I'm sure taking a safer amount is the better way to go

*Wednesday*
April 12th, 2018, 02:46 PM
A healthy person does not need mega doses of vitamins of any kind unless prescribed by a medical doctor. Please be careful and follow the signs of your body.

Caraid♫
April 12th, 2018, 02:52 PM
A healthy person does not need mega doses of vitamins of any kind unless prescribed by a medical doctor. Please be careful and follow the signs of your body.

totally! It was really silly of me to ignore this advice before but it is absolutely sound advice! I have no intentions of trying it again!

Nightshade
April 12th, 2018, 02:56 PM

I totally agree with this. More is not better. You're genetically capped at a certain rate of hair growth and there are a lot of factors that play into you reaching it or not. Just meeting your recommended amounts will maximize the factors that that one particular thing affects. More isn't doing anything but forcing your body to process it out.

Caraid♫
April 12th, 2018, 03:04 PM
I totally agree with this. More is not better. You're genetically capped at a certain rate of hair growth and there are a lot of factors that play into you reaching it or not. Just meeting your recommended amounts will maximize the factors that that one particular thing affects. More isn't doing anything but forcing your body to process it out.

I feel so stupid now for ever taking that much but I thought almost nothing of it at the time! Never again!

Sarahlabyrinth
April 12th, 2018, 03:07 PM
Just eat a banana every now and again, they have biotin in them. I have a couple a week.

diddiedaisy
April 12th, 2018, 03:13 PM
I’ve taken high doses in the past, and still do intermittently. However, I do have digestion problems. My dietician which I was under at the time and my gp was aware of it, but as it was benefiting me (it aids the digestion of foods, vits etc) I was fine taking it.

I always know when I need to start taking it again as my weight drastically falls off as I’m not not digesting all my food. A couple of weeks of biotin and the weight comes back. Nothing and I mean nothing else works to put the weight on. You can eat a million calories a day but if your not digesting it you are wasting your time. I’ve even had malnutrition in the past.

My system loves the stuff!!!

It’s only a baddie if you don’t need it. :)

Dark40
April 12th, 2018, 03:42 PM
You have to be very careful in how many doses of biotin you take daily. I only take 3,000mg per daily with my hair, skin, and nails vitamins.

Lanalavallama
April 12th, 2018, 04:36 PM
Thank you for the reminder. Sometimes we allow our desire for longer hair to take precedence over common sense. I certainly appreciate the reminder to not be ridiculous, just be as healthy as possible and give it time.

Glitch
April 12th, 2018, 06:03 PM
Yeah, again, I wouldn't stop bleeding for days after I took the B vitamin complex. I had overdosed without even realizing. Very terrifying! And worse, it was recommended by a doctor right before a major surgery. I'd say most of the time, you (general you) do have enough of everything, and if you do feel deficient, a blood test will tell you :)

ChloeDharma
April 12th, 2018, 06:48 PM
I've heard of people getting kidney failure from mega dosing on biotin. This was more than enough to discourage me from taking it at high evels. As has been suggested, try eating foods that contain amounts your body can safely process but high doses don't seem worth it, I value my kidneys more than my hair.

MoonRabbit
April 12th, 2018, 06:59 PM
Happy to hear you listened to the signs your body was giving and stopped taking a high dose before something serious happened.

I never took biotin but I did have bad reactions to b complex. I would feel very sick after taking it and would not feel better until my urine ran clear instead of that bright yellow b complex causes. What got my attention was actually putting off taking the vitamins, I kept thinking Oh I have to take it but I don't want to feel like crap right now...Warning right there, if my body needed it, I wouldn't have been reacting in that way.

Caraid♫
April 12th, 2018, 08:47 PM
Just eat a banana every now and again, they have biotin in them. I have a couple a week.
I didn't know that about bananas, thanks for the tip! ;)

I’ve taken high doses in the past, and still do intermittently. However, I do have digestion problems. My dietician which I was under at the time and my gp was aware of it, but as it was benefiting me (it aids the digestion of foods, vits etc) I was fine taking it.

I always know when I need to start taking it again as my weight drastically falls off as I’m not not digesting all my food. A couple of weeks of biotin and the weight comes back. Nothing and I mean nothing else works to put the weight on. You can eat a million calories a day but if your not digesting it you are wasting your time. I’ve even had malnutrition in the past.

My system loves the stuff!!!

It’s only a baddie if you don’t need it. :)
that's great that its so effective your digestion problems! I guess that's why they even sell such large doses; there are people out there with conditions for which it's beneficial :) I've now learnt that desire for hair growth is not great reason to take it!

You have to be very careful in how many doses of biotin you take daily. I only take 3,000mg per daily with my hair, skin, and nails vitamins.
that's still very high! (I'm one to talk, as I was taking the even higher dose :p ) But as they say, listen to your body as to whether it seems all right to you =)

Thank you for the reminder. Sometimes we allow our desire for longer hair to take precedence over common sense. I certainly appreciate the reminder to not be ridiculous, just be as healthy as possible and give it time.
Yep, it was totally ridiculous, but it's so easy to get that way when you're hoping for that magic pill! I have had to remind myself that it's just hair after all!

Yeah, again, I wouldn't stop bleeding for days after I took the B vitamin complex. I had overdosed without even realizing. Very terrifying! And worse, it was recommended by a doctor right before a major surgery. I'd say most of the time, you (general you) do have enough of everything, and if you do feel deficient, a blood test will tell you :)
Woah that's scary!! Yeah it's better to test and leave it to a doctor to tell you what you're actually deficient in if anything! B12 is one I take, but truly had a deficiency- that reminds me I should get my levels checked out again! I hope everything turned out well with the surgery!

I've heard of people getting kidney failure from mega dosing on biotin. This was more than enough to discourage me from taking it at high evels. As has been suggested, try eating foods that contain amounts your body can safely process but high doses don't seem worth it, I value my kidneys more than my hair.
EEek!! Yes I've been reading that too, it's pretty scary and is definitely not worth a risk like that!

Happy to hear you listened to the signs your body was giving and stopped taking a high dose before something serious happened.

I never took biotin but I did have bad reactions to b complex. I would feel very sick after taking it and would not feel better until my urine ran clear instead of that bright yellow b complex causes. What got my attention was actually putting off taking the vitamins, I kept thinking Oh I have to take it but I don't want to feel like crap right now...Warning right there, if my body needed it, I wouldn't have been reacting in that way.
I'm guessing you must not be deficient in b vitamins in which case there is no need ( as there is absolutely no need for me to take biotin!!) No sense in taking something that makes you feel bad, I''m glad you were able to realize they were making you feel sick!

prairie lark
April 12th, 2018, 09:07 PM
Another Biotin warning

Thanks for posting your experience.
https://www.allure.com/story/fda-warning-biotin-supplements

"Just because something is OTC or natural doesn't mean that it is completely harmless."

We all need to be more aware and informed of the supplements we take.

Glitch
April 12th, 2018, 09:10 PM
Woah that's scary!! Yeah it's better to test and leave it to a doctor to tell you what you're actually deficient in if anything! B12 is one I take, but truly had a deficiency- that reminds me I should get my levels checked out again! I hope everything turned out well with the surgery!

Awe thanks so much! It indeed did go well though I still have some swelling :o And yes, always better to stay on the safe side and re-check once in a while :)

spirals
April 12th, 2018, 09:16 PM
I read that as Bitcoin warning.

pailin
April 12th, 2018, 10:37 PM
I saw a mention somewhere of it causing excessive thirst, which would fit with your feelings of dehydration. And if it was affecting your kidneys, perhaps that might fit with the lower back cramps and such?
Anyway, I'm glad you figured it out so quickly and are fine now that you stopped it!

pailin
April 12th, 2018, 10:37 PM

This was really funny!

Joules
April 13th, 2018, 12:39 AM
Max dosage of Biotin I've ever taken was 3000 mcg. I took it for three months, never had any side-effects, except for weight gain (I wouldn't say my appetite increased, I just suddenly gained 5 pounds and started feeling bloated). Then I had a break with supplements and lost everything I gained, which by the way took some effort, so it wasn't just water retention. Then I decided to take 1 mcg a day for 6 months and gained even more. So no high doses of biotin for me anymore.

I also had a weird reaction to a multivitamin with insane doses of many vitamins. I took VP LAB Ultra Women's multivitamin complex, and mind you, I took only half the recommended daily dose. It felt like I was on drugs. My heart was pounding (I'm prone to tachycardia anyway, my pulse is usually on the higher end of the norm, but this was something else), I slept for 4-5 hours a night and my energy levels were through the roof. It was kinda helpful in a way since it happened during exams in uni, but overall it freaked me out and I stopped taking it. Also, it made my period much heavier than usual, sorry for TMI.

I just take your average supplements where doses of water-soluble vitamins sometimes are big, but not that gargantuan. I take breaks sometimes. My hair is fine, my immune system is great, I'm more than satisfied.

Soulina
April 13th, 2018, 12:43 AM
I eat 10 mg of biotin daily, I eat the one that is meant for dogs :puppy:
I have problems of getting my vitamins (diagnosed) and this dose of biotin has had positive effects on my hair growth etc. But taking more than you need is not going to have nothing but negative effects. This is a good reminder for us all.

gustavonut
April 13th, 2018, 04:22 AM
Carrots, fish, walnuts, fruits, veggies. That’s all you need to get your biotin.

Caraid♫
April 13th, 2018, 06:36 AM
Thanks for posting your experience.
https://www.allure.com/story/fda-warning-biotin-supplements

"Just because something is OTC or natural doesn't mean that it is completely harmless."

We all need to be more aware and informed of the supplements we take.
thanks for the articles- that is concerning information, hopefully someday these warnings will go on the bottle!

Hahaha! :laugh: I see so many memes about bitcoins yet I don't understand them at all!

I saw a mention somewhere of it causing excessive thirst, which would fit with your feelings of dehydration. And if it was affecting your kidneys, perhaps that might fit with the lower back cramps and such?
Anyway, I'm glad you figured it out so quickly and are fine now that you stopped it!
Interesting, so that symptom makes sense then! I'm hoping I didn't do any damage to my kidneys! =S but I am feeling 100 per cent back to normal so hoping I didn't take it long enough to do major damage!

Max dosage of Biotin I've ever taken was 3000 mcg. I took it for three months, never had any side-effects, except for weight gain (I wouldn't say my appetite increased, I just suddenly gained 5 pounds and started feeling bloated). Then I had a break with supplements and lost everything I gained, which by the way took some effort, so it wasn't just water retention. Then I decided to take 1 mcg a day for 6 months and gained even more. So no high doses of biotin for me anymore.

I also had a weird reaction to a multivitamin with insane doses of many vitamins. I took VP LAB Ultra Women's multivitamin complex, and mind you, I took only half the recommended daily dose. It felt like I was on drugs. My heart was pounding (I'm prone to tachycardia anyway, my pulse is usually on the higher end of the norm, but this was something else), I slept for 4-5 hours a night and my energy levels were through the roof. It was kinda helpful in a way since it happened during exams in uni, but overall it freaked me out and I stopped taking it. Also, it made my period much heavier than usual, sorry for TMI.
Interesting, because I've seen it touted as weight loss supplement too!

I just take your average supplements where doses of water-soluble vitamins sometimes are big, but not that gargantuan. I take breaks sometimes. My hair is fine, my immune system is great, I'm more than satisfied.
That's wild (about the multivitamin effects) and sounds scary!! especially at half the recommended dosage! I'm glad you've figured out a system that works for you! I'm not sworn of vitamins in general or anything (my diet isn't great and benefit from a multivitamin) but it's all about finding reasonable dosages!

I eat 10 mg of biotin daily, I eat the one that is meant for dogs :puppy:
I have problems of getting my vitamins (diagnosed) and this dose of biotin has had positive effects on my hair growth etc. But taking more than you need is not going to have nothing but negative effects. This is a good reminder for us all.
Haha I didn't know the had vitamins for dogs! :D 10mg sounds like a much more sane dose!!

Carrots, fish, walnuts, fruits, veggies. That’s all you need to get your biotin.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions! I don't eat fish, but the rest I could definitely eat more of!

chrissy-b
April 15th, 2018, 10:32 AM
My symptoms that were constantly there for a week and a half were abdominal cramps, lower back cramps, tingly/numb lower back and hips, feeling dehydrated, and sore lower ribs. It finally occurred to me hey maybe I should try stopping the biotin and, boom, the symptoms completely disappeared in 2 days!

Those are all symptoms of kidney issues. I've had three major kidney infections in my life and that is exactly what they felt like. I would go to your doctor and have them run a urinalysis just to be sure you're okay. While I do think that the biotin played a role, it may have simply been that your kidneys were already struggling and the biotin was just too much because they were already overtaxed.

spirals
April 15th, 2018, 11:10 AM

I used to be vegetarian and I went pescetarian. Ever since I've gotten more baby hairs. I needed whatever is in fish, apparently.