PDA

View Full Version : Time

JEMTheNerd
April 10th, 2018, 09:29 PM
So, as some know I am growing my hair out for another year starting June. So until June 2019 there will be no haircutting, other than maybe a trim.
Right now, my hair is at mid neck length, it's been 15 months since shaving my head. How long do you guys think my hair will be by this time next year? Because I may just continue to grow it out if I find I like it growing by then. If I had to say it's length, I'd say it's about 8 inches long rn. It is a bit uneven, longer in the back by maybe another inch but that's to be expected with this awkward stage and all. I need 28 inched to get to my hips, how long do you believe it'll take me to hit that mile stone?

Glitch
April 10th, 2018, 09:58 PM
I've never actually measured my hair from the scalp, but have totally taken a ruler to the length I wanted to reach and every inch represented 2 months (the average growth rate). That way at least I had a good estimate of the time it would take me to reach a certain length. Everyone's body is different, both in growth genetics and body proportions, but judging from the average rate, it'll be 14 inches by this time next year (wherever that may fall on you :)) and to get to hips, should take 3 years and 2 months. These rates don't include any trims, so those mini set backs will all depend on how you go about it. And again, these are averages. Your hair could grow slower or faster, it's hard to say unless it's measured every few months. I know it might sound like it's forever, but time flies!

cjk
April 10th, 2018, 10:15 PM
Most people's hair grows around 1/2" per month. 28" means 56 months. That's a long time.

Which is one of the reasons why there is a thread titled mini-milestones. You and I both started from shaved at nearly the same time. January 2017. But I noticed when I could first gather my hair into a ponytail, put it in a French twist, use a comb, then a fork, and now a stick to secure it...etc.

I know what you mean about awkward. But the nice thing is just how many style choices there are, particularly for women.

By the standards of this forum you and I have short hair. But it's growing, getting longer, and opening up possibilities every day.

It's fun!

Glitch
April 10th, 2018, 10:47 PM
Oops, I thought OP meant 28 inches means hip on them. 28 more inches would indeed take much longer, like cjk said.

Stray_mind
April 11th, 2018, 12:29 AM
So, as some know I am growing my hair out for another year starting June. So until June 2019 there will be no haircutting, other than maybe a trim.
Right now, my hair is at mid neck length, it's been 15 months since shaving my head. How long do you guys think my hair will be by this time next year? Because I may just continue to grow it out if I find I like it growing by then. If I had to say it's length, I'd say it's about 8 inches long rn. It is a bit uneven, longer in the back by maybe another inch but that's to be expected with this awkward stage and all. I need 28 inched to get to my hips, how long do you believe it'll take me to hit that mile stone?

It depends on your growth rate. I went from neck/chin length to SL in 8 months, i have 4 more months to grow.

I think you can at least reach SL next year

JEMTheNerd
April 12th, 2018, 07:15 AM
Yes you're right! 28 inches would be hip length for me, I am not very tall. (4'11") :)

lapushka
April 12th, 2018, 08:38 AM

The best (and really only) way to tell is to measure how long it is between the length you want and the length you are now, then multiply that number by 2 and you'll know how many months it will take you. Hair (without trimming) will grow about 6 inches a year IF you have healthy growth - this is an average. Some have less growth, some have a bit more growth.

Best to measure on yourself - every body is different and will hit milestones at different times!

Glitch
April 12th, 2018, 03:07 PM
Yes you're right! 28 inches would be hip length for me, I am not very tall. (4'11") :)

Ohh, okay great! It just means it won't take as long after all :)

JEMTheNerd
April 13th, 2018, 09:35 PM
Rough guess how long would it take to grow 20 inches of hair? Not long I hope? 😅

Wildcat Diva
April 13th, 2018, 09:41 PM
3-4 years?

MidnightMoon
April 13th, 2018, 11:46 PM
3 years I'd say (a bit more if you make small trims), given your height and hair type, which doesn't shrink much. Good luck!

Glitch
April 14th, 2018, 12:10 AM
Yeah, the average rate would take around 3 years and some months. However many inches you're thinking about, always times it by 2 and that will give you the number of months it will take to get there, again, on average :) **trims not included.

leayellena
April 14th, 2018, 03:25 AM
https://www.hairfinder.com/info/hair-lengths.htm . Calculating without trims

spidermom
April 14th, 2018, 07:49 AM
I would say that your hair will be collarbone length by this time next year. My hair is a little longer than that right now, and it's a fun length - quick to wash and dry, many styling options.

For hip length, I'm going to guess 3 years.

MusicalSpoons
April 14th, 2018, 09:08 AM
Rough guess how long would it take to grow 20 inches of hair? Not long I hope? 😅

20 inches at [an average of] half an inch per month = 40 months, or 3 years 4 months. So, about 3 and a half years and you'll be there :)

JEMTheNerd
April 14th, 2018, 02:40 PM
Ok, ok not too bad. About three and half years then. 😅 that's so long oml. I'll be 21 by then. But I guess the earlier I start, the quicker I'll have long hair. Going by this, by that time I'm 25 I should have calf length! 😂😂😂 if I decided to grow it that long that is. Goodness. That is such a long time..

lapushka
April 14th, 2018, 03:00 PM
Ok, ok not too bad. About three and half years then. �� that's so long oml. I'll be 21 by then. But I guess the earlier I start, the quicker I'll have long hair. Going by this, by that time I'm 25 I should have calf length! ������ if I decided to grow it that long that is. Goodness. That is such a long time..

Hold your horses. LOL Take it slowly, that would be my advice to you. One milestone at a time. And each length comes with its pros and cons and sometimes it is even very hard to keep growing, especially at awkward lengths. Until you hit APL it's not going to be the easiest, I can tell you that much. But... hang in there. :thumbsup:

Lady Stardust
April 14th, 2018, 03:11 PM
I actually think it’s a good thing that hair doesn’t grow really quickly. It gives you time to work out what your hair and your scalp like and dislike, and how to put it up and just get used to it being there. I think if I suddenly had extremely long hair I would find it too difficult to deal with and would convince myself that long hair is not for me.

That’s not to say that I don’t find myself cursing how long it takes :-)

Sorry for the double negative. Brain will not rewrite sensibly.

cjk
April 14th, 2018, 04:52 PM
I agree with Lady Stardust, above. Had I magically had long hair appear, one morning, it would probably look a lot like this.

https://i.imgur.com/oPSXTil_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

But instead I've learned to care for it and keep it in some semblance of order. So I look like this instead.

https://i.imgur.com/gH1gxPc_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

By the way, you and I both started from razored within two weeks of each other. These photos are of me, I'd love to see how your hair is progressing, too.

JEMTheNerd
April 14th, 2018, 07:46 PM
I'm at the same length as you, it seems! My hair isn't as poofy tho.

JEMTheNerd
April 14th, 2018, 07:55 PM
I think I find myself agreeing with being glad hair doesn't grow so quickly
(though I would like for it to at the same time.) I have been learning to tolerate my hair being down. Before, I always had it tightly pony tailed, and then would braid the tail because I couldn't stand it being in the way, or the tangles. Now, however I sometimes enjoy it curtaining my face, I've adjusted to it. I can tuck it behind my ears now too which helps a lot. I really dont like tangles though, and I live in a windy, windy, W I N D Y area. Any tips on how to leave your hair down without it getting tangles? :( I hate this awkward length, but I like it all the same too. I just fear I look so plain, or long hair won't suit my face. Saw old pics of me from when I did have long hair, never have I cringed as hard as I did upon seeing those photos. My hair elongated, my already oval face shape. I looked dreadful. Then again, those photos are almost two to four years old and since then I gained about 20lbs, lost around 10 of those pounds, my face has narrowed a bit and my features are more defined (I like to think so, anyways). I now also part my hair to the left rather than straight down the middle. Maybe I outta get bangs when my hair gets longer so my face doesn't look so dreadfully shaped? But I'm told I wouldn't look good with bangs.

EdG
April 14th, 2018, 08:25 PM
Hair and time were the themes of many of my signature pictures. The two just go together. :beerchug:

http://www.edgrochowski.com/photos-lhc/edg-siggy-2013.jpg

Ed

hennalove
April 14th, 2018, 09:29 PM

If your hair grows at the average rate then expect 6" growth in one year providing you do no trims. You can do a S&D that would remove any damage without reducing length. To get 28" more growth at the average rate it would take you 4.6 years providing you do not cut and protect your ends to retain length.

Lady Stardust
April 15th, 2018, 01:48 AM
I think I find myself agreeing with being glad hair doesn't grow so quickly
(though I would like for it to at the same time.) I have been learning to tolerate my hair being down. Before, I always had it tightly pony tailed, and then would braid the tail because I couldn't stand it being in the way, or the tangles. Now, however I sometimes enjoy it curtaining my face, I've adjusted to it. I can tuck it behind my ears now too which helps a lot. I really dont like tangles though, and I live in a windy, windy, W I N D Y area. Any tips on how to leave your hair down without it getting tangles? :( I hate this awkward length, but I like it all the same too. I just fear I look so plain, or long hair won't suit my face. Saw old pics of me from when I did have long hair, never have I cringed as hard as I did upon seeing those photos. My hair elongated, my already oval face shape. I looked dreadful. Then again, those photos are almost two to four years old and since then I gained about 20lbs, lost around 10 of those pounds, my face has narrowed a bit and my features are more defined (I like to think so, anyways). I now also part my hair to the left rather than straight down the middle. Maybe I outta get bangs when my hair gets longer so my face doesn't look so dreadfully shaped? But I'm told I wouldn't look good with bangs.

I have a fringe (bangs) and I look better with it than without it. I had shoulder length hair without a fringe, and with a centre parting, when I was about 11 and it looked awful. I prefer a fringe now, but I don’t think I’d look terrible without one because I’ve “grown into my face” since then. I’ve had various lengths of fringe before but it’s currently about cheekbone length, so slightly side swept. It balances the proportions of my (long) face well. A longish side swept fringe would suit most people I think?

As for windy days, my hair will always tangle in the wind if it’s down. I keep a Buff with me, it takes up next to no room in my bag but I can put it on when I need protection from the wind. Otherwise tangles will lead to splitsville. Do you like wearing hats? That’s another option, tucking it up inside a cap.

Glitch
April 15th, 2018, 01:54 AM
I have a fringe (bangs) and I look better with it than without it. I had shoulder length hair without a fringe, and with a centre parting, when I was about 11 and it looked awful. I prefer a fringe now, but I don’t think I’d look terrible without one because I’ve “grown into my face” since then. I’ve had various lengths of fringe before but it’s currently about cheekbone length, so slightly side swept. It balances the proportions of my (long) face well. A longish side swept fringe would suit most people I think?

As for windy days, my hair will always tangle in the wind if it’s down. I keep a Buff with me, it takes up next to no room in my bag but I can put it on when I need protection from the wind. Otherwise tangles will lead to splitsville. Do you like wearing hats? That’s another option, tucking it up inside a cap.

As a bangs-lover, I love these ideas! A beanie would be great too for those windy winter days. A sun hat for the hot days. They should keeps the bangs put :) It's not always ideal to wear either, and it doesn't always work out, but that's just the price that comes with cute bangs!