PDA

View Full Version : My son cut my daughter's hair!

AmaryllisRed
April 10th, 2018, 06:17 PM
We had an unfortunate incident.
My four-year-old daughter's hair was hip length. She had it in pigtails this morning and my six-year-old son lopped off several inches with kid scissors.
I cried.
Here you can see the missing hair on the left side.
https://i.imgur.com/bvp0BYw.jpg

I was so sad. I had been thinking about having it cut but ultimately decided not to yet. So after this, we had to.
It's quite a shock for me and I'm still a little sad, but it does look nice. It will take some getting used to.
Here she is after the professional cut. (The wind was blowing. It's not shorter on one side.)
https://i.imgur.com/Btypsj4.jpg

Trip
April 10th, 2018, 06:22 PM
It looks gorgeous in the second picture!
If she isnt upset then i wouldnt be either she’s definitely got time to grow it back and worry about kid stuff haha

DweamGoiL
April 10th, 2018, 06:31 PM
It happens! When my youngest daughter was about your son's age, she cut her own hair at the top in the back. It was a giant cowlick for months. It eventually grew out and wasn't discernible.

Glitch
April 10th, 2018, 07:02 PM
Sorry to hear! Yikes. However, it does indeed look great now too. And because she's very little, it'll grow back quickly with her height :)

AmaryllisRed
April 10th, 2018, 07:12 PM
I hope it grows back fast! Haha!
But she just said to me, "Mom, I like my short hair. It looks like the lady who cut it." The lady who cut it had a short, blond bob, very neat and cute. I'm glad it's not *that* short. :)
My oldest cut his own when he was about the same age. Right before picture day, of course.

Beckstar
April 10th, 2018, 07:18 PM
It's a very nice cut. My son cut his bangs when he was about 3. He had a bowl cut and *clip* went a large chunk. I added a little bit of gel and slicked his hair back. He still looked cute.
Right before we were getting ready to leave to take pictures. Oh yeah, and I noticed that he changed one of his socks too. He was wearing green shorts and a white top so I put green socks on him. I noticed too late that one sock was green and one was blue.

AmaryllisRed
April 10th, 2018, 08:18 PM
Hahaha! Kids, man. Always with excellent timing. 😀

Stray_mind
April 11th, 2018, 12:22 AM
Eh, i remember i got the round brush stuck in my hair and had to get it cut out. Kids don't worry about these things too much. The hair will grow back rather quickly.

Katsura
April 11th, 2018, 12:34 AM
Her hair is so beautiful. :) It will grow back in a flash, I'm sure.

Of the Fae
April 11th, 2018, 01:56 AM
I think everyone has done this at some point. When I was about four or five me and a friend cut one another's hair with kid scissors.
Of course we looked really ridiculous, and our parents were mad :P But it grew back quickly and I don't remember caring that much about it except for a tiny pang of regret when my parents told me it looked so messy. So I wouldn't worry about it too much, though I understand the distress. I think this is usually so much worse for the parents than for the kids.
Your daughter's hair looks really good after the professional cut, and if she likes it how it is now, that's awesome :) !

embee
April 11th, 2018, 05:14 AM
I "trimmed" my own bangs on picture day.... my mom was *so angry*! I still had the scissors when mom found me and when she tried to take them I stabbed them at her and she slapped me - on the face. So then I had loopy bangs and a big red handprint! Oooops! :D

I also got the new livingroom curtains she was working on, slice slice slice.

DD trimmed her own bangs to the scalp at about age 3. There was no fixing that one.

The worst story I ever heard was from a friend. She had drifted to sleep on her sofa while her two little ones were playing on the floor... and woke up with a big chunk of *her own hair* missing! :(

I guess the moral of these stories is to lock up the scissors. And good luck with that!

Your DD has lovely hair and it will grow like a weed.

olivetime
April 11th, 2018, 05:19 AM
It's like a children's right of passage, haha! Her hair cut looks great :)

I remember being 3-4 and hiding underneath the table with kid scissors and cutting off my bangs. My mom's reaction was enough that I still remember it clearly!! So upset with me!

I have 4 kids and they all cut their own hair when they were little.

spitfire511
April 11th, 2018, 06:16 AM
Agreed with the others - *raises own hand* safety scissors to the bangs when I was about 5. There was really no fixing that!

I know it's gutting for you, but her hair looks simply gorgeous after the cut!

spidermom
April 11th, 2018, 06:51 AM
Wow - that girl has beautiful hair. I love the cut.

AmaryllisRed
April 11th, 2018, 06:55 AM
Awww thanks for all the compliments and encouragement!

lapushka
April 11th, 2018, 09:03 AM
Does anyone remember those comb-razor thingies? I once wanted to "comb my hair like grandma", opened the drawer, took the thing out and just combed my hair with the razor-comb. My mom saw (thankfully) before I could go through my hair a third time, but I had some chunks missing. LOL!

Kids! It's really gorgeous, and might be easier for her to deal with at this age.

Addy
April 11th, 2018, 09:12 AM
My granddaughter cut off her English braids in Oct of 2016. She was nearing waist length at 3 years old. She went to a very short cut because she hacked herself up pretty good. She is at one length APL right now. My daughter was really mad but she did the same thing when she was little!

Beckstar
April 11th, 2018, 09:47 AM
I cut off my bangs in the first grade. They were hanging in my eyes and annoying me... So *whack* they went. They were 1/2" long and there was no way to hide them. They just had to grow out. My hair is curly so I had horns for months.

Rehab350
April 11th, 2018, 03:10 PM
It's fine if she loves it. It looks cute for a little girl.

victorian girl
April 11th, 2018, 03:15 PM
It's great that your daughter likes her new haircut! My granddad, when he was in primary school (in 1940s) cut his classmates braid off during the lesson... poor girl.

divinedobbie
April 11th, 2018, 05:25 PM
Eh, i remember i got the round brush stuck in my hair and had to get it cut out. Kids don't worry about these things too much. The hair will grow back rather quickly.

Me too. Well, to be fair, my brother (5) got a round brush stuck in my hair really good when I was 4 and there was no getting it out. My mom had to cut my hair and it was at ear level. I still remember being so so upset about it, and I was just starting kindergarten. To this day I hate any photo of my around that time.

Your daughters haircut looks very nice though and not too short, not like an accident or anything. Right of passage and the cut was bound to happen eventually, just unfortunate you weren't prepared for it.

JadedByEntropy
April 11th, 2018, 07:53 PM
its okay to be sad. try not to show her too much emotion about her new look or the incident. it'll echo back when shes a teen and trying to be defiant or becomes obsessed herself with appearance. if it holds too much importance it could hurt her self esteem later on.
I wacked off my own pig tail as a kid, but i learned not to cut myself/others. looks like its a really common thing among that age. its cute-don't fret.

Dark40
April 11th, 2018, 07:58 PM
I'm so sorry that happened. Her hair looks gorgeous in the second photo. She has plenty time to grow it back at her height.

AmaryllisRed
April 11th, 2018, 09:22 PM
Thank you everyone!

Deborah
April 11th, 2018, 09:51 PM
My little sister cut her long hair when she was four. I asked her why, and she told me it was too hot. It was August, and it was hot, so to her snipping it off made perfect sense. It grew back in no time, and was as beautiful as ever.

mindwiped
April 11th, 2018, 11:29 PM
I don't know why they give kids safety scissors...they can barely cut paper, but boy can they massacre hair. I found out my boss's oldest cut the younger daughter's hair. I'm in the class, and the girl's sitting on my lap. She's at the 'baby mullet' stage girl's hair go through when they're slow growers. I notice the right side is two inches longer than the left. So I have my boss/kiddos' mon take a look. After she found out her oldest had cut it, she bawled. The younger was nearly two and barely had shoulder length, mullet hair.

Hexen
April 11th, 2018, 11:53 PM
Aww...if it's any consolation, what your six year old did to her hair...is still far better (In my opinion) than what I did, as a 13 year old, to my own hair. Your son at less than half my age then, still used better judgement than I did!
Because I wanted streaks ..and of which my folks would not let happen....I took matters into my own hands......and broke out the hydrogen peroxide.....

Need I really say anything more?

It took several years....to remedy that disaster. And I think the application even damaged the follicles at "ground level"....meaning I had mutated hair one one side of my head for an inordinate amount of time even after that. (guess I could have shaved me head)

Flash forward 30 years....I finally have what I wanted then. And it actually looks normal lol!

So, now that ya'll have seen my confession here.....would you please be kind enough to look directly into this thing? :laugh:

https://i.imgur.com/gOkmosb.gif

Joules
April 12th, 2018, 12:51 AM
I love how it looks on the second picture! Your daughter's hair color is to die for!

Stray_mind
April 12th, 2018, 01:08 AM
Me too. Well, to be fair, my brother (5) got a round brush stuck in my hair really good when I was 4 and there was no getting it out. My mom had to cut my hair and it was at ear level. I still remember being so so upset about it, and I was just starting kindergarten. To this day I hate any photo of my around that time.

Your daughters haircut looks very nice though and not too short, not like an accident or anything. Right of passage and the cut was bound to happen eventually, just unfortunate you weren't prepared for it.

I just got a chink cut out and walked around like that for a while, hahaha! We didn't have money for hairdressers

I love the APL hair cut of this little girl. Her hair is really beautiful. And i think it looks pretty stylish too! :)

ponine
April 12th, 2018, 01:46 AM
When I was probably less than 8 yo me and my friends played hairdresser. I was the stylist and I chopped my friend's and my cousin's hair :D I don't remember the results but their parents weren't happy. And they couldn't cut my hair because I was "growing it out". Seems like this is a very common thing to happen!

fhairyqueen
April 12th, 2018, 05:35 AM
Her hair will grow back before you know it
I cut my daughters hair to shoulder and a year later it was waist length and so much thicker and healthier
I cut hers myself deliberately but same out come
I can see how this is easy to happen though as my daughters left out child scissors the other day and my youngest grabbed them off the table at lightning speed
He’s only 1 but he is fast and extremely mischievous
I’m surprised my daughters haven’t cut each others hair yet as they love playing hairdressers with accessories
Your daughters hair looks so beautiful at the shorter length
Actually both my daughters have had long hair cut to short and it grows back super fast
I mentioned this in another thread and we came to the conclusion they have the same growth rates as us but their tiny body’s make it appear that they grow super fast long hair
Honestly your daughters hair looks beautiful

Angelica
April 12th, 2018, 05:41 AM
What a shame. Although it looks nice now, I preferred the longer length. I am glad she wasn't upset about the incident.

AmaryllisRed
April 12th, 2018, 04:34 PM
Thank you all for the compliments!
So fun to read everyone's similar stories or childhood confessions.
Hexen-- oh no!!

pili
April 13th, 2018, 10:23 AM
When my kids were two and one, my daughter cut my son's hair...Fryer Tuck style! She only cut the crown. Both of them were giggling when I caught them at it. That taught me showers for moms are dangerous.

prairie lark
April 13th, 2018, 11:01 AM
Here she is after the professional cut. (The wind was blowing. It's not shorter on one side.)
https://i.imgur.com/Btypsj4.jpg

Oh brother, brothers! :cool: What a beautiful head of hair. <3 It'll be as long as before in no time, I'm sure.

Is that classy coat available in lady size? lol