PDA

View Full Version : My step mom said that I am almost too old

DreamingLong
October 30th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Tonight my stepmom said to me, wow your hair is getting so long, how long do you want it? Then said your 29 years old almost 30. Older woman should not have long hair! What? Why not? She said because it looks funny!

I can't believe she said that to me!!!!!!!!

Gumball
October 30th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Ignore it. She's under a preconceived notion of how older women should wear their hair. If it's not how you want your hair then that's not a problem at all. It's not her hair after all! Your hair looks great. As long as it makes you happy that's what matters.

Crinita
October 30th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I can believe it... there is a bizarre cultural fascination with lopping off locks when you blow out your 30 candles... or your 40... 50 ad nauseum. I think women look sexier with long hair and the young girls don't want the competition. :twisted:

Pax,
Crinita

Oskimosa
October 30th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Wow! That's pretty shocking. :shake: Not only is 29 NOT old, there are some members here well past that with hair far longer than yours (and it looks fabulous, I might add!).

Besides, even if you were an older woman, older women used to put their hair up in elegant updos; it's really only in the past few decades that shorter hair is more expected of them.

I'm so sorry she said that to you, and even sorrier that that's how she views long hair!

jojo
October 30th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Well I am 40 next and if your too old, i am prehistoric!

The only time I shall be too old for long hair is when I am 6 foot under and pushing up the daisys!

NightDaemon
October 30th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I say it's hair envy.

The only time I shall be too old for long hair is when I am 6 foot under and pushing up the daisys!
What, you don't want to be the next Elling woman? Long hair for eternity!

Deborah
October 31st, 2008, 12:27 AM
Well, she is hopelessly out of date in her thinking. Just ignore her on this issue. Enjoy your hair, and grow it as long as you like!

gdimoonbeam
October 31st, 2008, 12:38 AM
Isn't 30 the new 20? In any case she's probably envious, she may have shorter hair because she followed what other poeple have said to her.

longhairedfairy
October 31st, 2008, 01:05 AM
I think she is old enough to know better than to say something so rude.

Janka
October 31st, 2008, 01:53 AM
Well, we would not expect this in the 21st century, would we?
My mom told when she got married and I was born (she was 20!), the general belief or let's say kind of "should-do/behave" in our small town was that she has to cut her hair short (well, she's married, no need to look good?!) and - STOP WEARING JEANS!!!
So I would say, your step mom is quite outdated ;)
This is just some more of the so-called rules how we should look/behave/work/... that OTHERS think we should.
When people ask me how long I want to grow ma hair, I answer "as long as I have fun with it". I can still reduce the leght, can't I?
Just ignore it. My cousin used to tell me how I should get a short hair cut, but I just ignored her. Last year she saw my hair with nice waves (from my wedding hair rehearsal) and she said "wow, your hair ist so long and nice!". I think she's a bit jelaous, because her hair has always been rather short.
So, try to ignore any negative comment, enjoy all positive ones and HAVE FUN with your hair!
J.

Forest
October 31st, 2008, 04:24 AM
Well, you should feel good that you have more space to do what you feel is good for you without letting rules like that interfere. I bet you have more freedom in your life than she does if she has a set of rules similar to the hair-rule that she thinks she has to live by.

winter_star
October 31st, 2008, 04:29 AM
30? Old? Playing by the rules is always a boring option.

Laila23
October 31st, 2008, 05:38 AM
29 is not old.

Long hair looks nice on older woman (whatever your definition of older is). It softens their faces and makes them stand out against everyone else who usually has some sort of shorter updo.

Amara
October 31st, 2008, 06:27 AM
My reply: "Actually, I don't think hair matters at any age. But by 30, I do think people should definitely learn to do what they want instead of following rules laid out by society."

Xandergrammy
October 31st, 2008, 06:32 AM
It's a bunch of nonsense. Don't listen to her. Hang out here and don't pay any attention to people who don't know any better. :flowers:

Lady Godiva
October 31st, 2008, 06:53 AM
"My step mom said that I am almost too old... to decide how to style my hair."

Yeah, makes sense to me. :hmm:

MandaMom2Three
October 31st, 2008, 07:30 AM
WHAT?! You mean I only have 2 or 3 years left to grow my hair classic and love it before I have to lop it all off?!?!?!?!?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! :D

DarkChocolate
October 31st, 2008, 07:30 AM
Ignore her.

My mom kind of thinks the same thing. She used to trim my hair and when I was 21 instead of trimming it she lopped it off to just past chin length.

Another thing that bothers me is how people make such a big deal about early twenties,mid-twenties and late twenties. It never matters how old you are with respect to having long hair, wearing cute outfits,getting into different things like starting an instrument or studying dance. I hate it when people have the perception that beginning an instrument or starting to study dance are only reserved for children. I think alot of adults who have these perceptions lack self-esteem.

I just ignore all negativity.

lora410
October 31st, 2008, 07:34 AM
My mother is in her 50's and has long hair. Just ignore the its no becoming comments :)

angelthadiva
October 31st, 2008, 07:35 AM
I did not read the other posts...

Ask her if she wants some "hater-aid to wash down her hater-tots". :flowers:

Sorry, I have teenagers! :)

rymorg2
October 31st, 2008, 07:38 AM
Tonight my stepmom said to me, wow your hair is getting so long, how long do you want it? Then said your 29 years old almost 30. Older woman should not have long hair! What? Why not? She said because it looks funny!

My grandmother says that too....I think she's jealous. Oh, and now she's got longer hair LOL....she's 76! I'm only 34.

StephanieB
October 31st, 2008, 07:38 AM

I think that longhairedfairy got it right: Your stepmother should be old enough to know how to speak her mind without being so hurtful. The ole green-eyed-monster sure can make people say the most nasty things!

Let's review - in 4 sentences - and prolly 6 seconds - she said: (1) you're hair is getting "too long", (2) you're aging/old (we're all aging unless we're dead - but her implication is that YOU ALONE are aging or old), (3) you shouldn't have your hair however you like it (especial note: it's not even radical or outside accepted social norm), (4) (serious heavy implication that) you aren't capable of making an intelligent decision about how you wear your own hair, and (5) you not only don't look good... but you look well out of the socially acceptable norm for our society.

WOW

Can I please nominate her for the Disneyesque Wicked Stepmother of the Year Award for 2008 without hurting your feelings?!

Dreaminglong's stemother: Mirror, Mirror, on the wall - Who's the cruelest mom of all?

Mirror: You're lookin' at her, Your Nastiness!

Stepmother: Mirror, Mirror, silvered platter - Hush or by my hand you'll shatter!

Mirror: All-righty then.............. ............. ............. ____!

*CRASH*

*tinkling sound of shattering glass*

the above ^ tale is copyrighted by Grimmer Sister StephanieB :stirpot:

StephanieB
October 31st, 2008, 07:41 AM
My grandmother says that too....I think she's jealous. Oh, and now she's got longer hair LOL....she's 76! I'm only 34.

wait ......... what?! ROTFLMAO

ChloeDharma
October 31st, 2008, 07:42 AM
Well i'm 30 and nobody has said anything like that to me yet that i can think of.....but then nobody who knows me would expect me to be bothered about silly rules like that. If she says it again i'd just laugh and be like "like i care??"

ClareDee
October 31st, 2008, 08:04 AM
29 too old for long hair? No way. In fact, I don't think 50, 60, 70, any age, is "too old" for long hair. I think she's either envious or is paying far too much attention to strange social "rules" (which only have power when too many people take them seriously). Maybe the two are connected in some way.

I think in part some of the disapproval is because you challenge them with your choice to be different. It makes them wonder "I could have that too. Should I?". It's more comfy for them if everyone looks the same and they don't have to doubt their own choices.

Your hair is lovely, and for as long as you like it and enjoy it, you should keep it. :thumbsup:

Peggy E.
October 31st, 2008, 08:18 AM
Whoa! I'd better stay away from your stepmother! Did someone appoint her the "Hair Length Fairy" or something?

Blow it off - I can't help but feel there's a goodly measure of envy and possibly some jealousy, too, going on here.

If she mentions your hair length again, and your "creaking old age" - what is THAT about??! Jeesh, 29 and OLD????!!! - tell her you like your hair long, and you don't intend to discuss it with her any further. Then comment on the weather and end of story! ;o)

There are no age limits to beauty - young or old, we are beautiful through all the phases of our lives. We simply need to remember to tap into our capacity to appreciate that there are different forms of beauty, as it flows over the passing of our years.

But 29-onto-30 is so far from being considered even "middle-age," it's laughable! That's what makes me wonder if there isn't something niggling behind the eyeballs of that sad figure of a stepmother. She needs to stop worrying so much about you and work on making herself happy and fulfilled....

Euphony
October 31st, 2008, 08:21 AM
Well woops, apparently I committed a major faux pa then - I didn't start growing until I was over 30. Don't listen to her, let her know you are not there to decorate her world.

chelles2kids
October 31st, 2008, 08:28 AM
Ermmm, 30 is NOT old!:rolleyes:

Just ignore her, she can't help that she's confused!:cool:

redtea
October 31st, 2008, 08:43 AM
My mom hates long hair and always has. She doesn't care how old or young you are, to her it's all "disgusting." My best friend used to have incredibly thick hair past her tailbone and my mom always kept saying how she needed to have it cut and "thinned"!!! I was always like "Why on earth does she need to have it thinned??" When I was 3 or 4 years old I told my mom specifically that I wanted to grow my hair long and then she took me to get my hair cut and they cut it into one of those awful bowl cuts! I remember crying for hours over my hair. The only time I've had long hair was in high school, when I stopped cutting it and it grew close to waist length. Otherwise, I've always felt some sort of pressure to cut. Now, finally at 29 years old my hair is finally on its way to being long again, and I don't care what anybody says about it. :)

StephanieB
October 31st, 2008, 08:47 AM
Just ignore her, she can't help that she's confused!:cool:

That's it!!

Stepmom's not mean and nasty like I thought! My bad - shame on me for believing the worst.
She's just senile!!! :rollin:

StephanieB
October 31st, 2008, 08:49 AM
But 29-onto-30 is so far from being considered even "middle-age," it's laughable!
I wish you could say that to ME - in all seriousness, and without laughing. pffffffffffffffffffft :rolleyes:

bunnii
October 31st, 2008, 08:58 AM
Wow 30 is old? Sorry but :rollin::rollin::rollin: If we all listened to what everyone else wanted we'd never do anything different. Sure sounds like a case of jealousy IMO. Keep growing if that's what you want :D

LutraLutra
October 31st, 2008, 09:35 AM
My reply: "But by 30, I do think people should definitely learn to do what they want instead of following rules laid out by society."
Yup, damn right.

If you want to have long hair, have long hair.

Why do people have to be so mean?

rymorg2
October 31st, 2008, 09:58 AM
wait ......... what?! ROTFLMAO

Yep, she has grown hers out and at the moment it's longer than mine. Hers is past her shoulders now and she can twist it up. Mine is at my shoulders. I should tease her next time I see her.

jastark84
October 31st, 2008, 01:59 PM
Ughhh, I'm sorry your mother said something like that to you! I never understand people that say things like that.

My older sister who is 28 , mother(53), and myself all have long hair. My sister just recently cut hers from TB to BSL only because my 2 year old nephew thought it was his new toy. Now she's currently growing it back out. My mother has had her hair when she was my age she said to her ankles, and now she has it to about TB, as long as I can remember it has always been at least waist length. They get preached to a lot of the time about how they should cut their hair, blah blah blah. They just ignore it, or politely tell them to F-off! LOL

Everyone is different in their hair length preferences, and have different notions on what's appropriate or what is not. All I can say is either ignore it or tell your mom very nicely that you appreciate her input, but you will keep you hair as long as you like, and to stop mentioning it if it's a repeat comment.

ChloeDharma
October 31st, 2008, 02:05 PM
[QUOTE=Peggy E.;323152]There are no age limits to beauty - young or old, we are beautiful through all the phases of our lives. We simply need to remember to tap into our capacity to appreciate that there are different forms of beauty, as it flows over the passing of our years.
QUOTE]

Peggy, that is such a wonderfull statement! Can i quote it sometime? :flowers:

FrannyG
October 31st, 2008, 02:07 PM
I can so completely believe that your step mom said that. I really can. I was about 30 when I started hearing the "age-appropriate" comments about my hair and its style from my mother and two of my aunts. Even when I did get a fairly short cut, it was one of those tousled looking styles and I was told that it was not suitable, because I "was no kid". :neutral:

In any case, I think that as a group we can just turn the old rules out the window. I simply ignore the silly age/hair comments now.

Don't be offended; it's a common opinion. Just let it go, and be your longhaired self. :blossom:

mellie
October 31st, 2008, 02:20 PM
Argh, why do people say that? I don't understand it. And 30 is not old, either!!

meganb990
October 31st, 2008, 02:44 PM
Do what makes you happy!! There are many different aged women and men on the forum and I think the long hair looks beautiful on ALL of them. I was shocked yesterday my mom has always been the type to say all woman over 40 ( she is 54) should have short hair. She has a bob that is a little above chin length and said I'm so tired of my hair. I suggested she grow it longer and she said she will think about growing it longer to just under shoulder length hopefully she can grow her hair out with me!:p Bottom line do what makes YOU happy.

heidi w.
October 31st, 2008, 02:49 PM
Then I'm ancient!!

Tut! Tut!

heidi w.

Speckla
October 31st, 2008, 03:49 PM
Sorry you're hearing that.

I'm 33 and want 36" of natural hair (61" tall). A lady at work (68 years old) told me that I might want to consider cutting it when I'm 35 but I'm still young enough between now and then to get away with it. WTH?? I'll be 34 next month so I have to cut it next year??? No way.
________
Marijuana hemp (http://marijuanahemp.com)

Laululintu
October 31st, 2008, 04:29 PM
If she persists on the topic, I'd tell her to mind her own beeswax ;)

SophieGrowGrow
October 31st, 2008, 04:52 PM
I didn't think 30 was old?

paper
October 31st, 2008, 05:36 PM
My mom did the same to me. She thought I should cut my hair by the time I was 30. I told her I was going to cut it before turning 40, and I did. I am now growing my hair again at 46!

DaveDecker
October 31st, 2008, 06:18 PM
Yay to you all! :applause

I think she is old enough to know better than to say something so rude.

So true! :agree:

I did not read the other posts...

Ask her if she wants some "hater-aid to wash down her hater-tots". :flowers:

Sorry, I have teenagers! :)

That's great! :lol:

I think that longhairedfairy got it right: Your stepmother should be old enough to know how to speak her mind without being so hurtful. The ole green-eyed-monster sure can make people say the most nasty things!

Let's review - in 4 sentences - and prolly 6 seconds - she said: (1) you're hair is getting "too long", (2) you're aging/old (we're all aging unless we're dead - but her implication is that YOU ALONE are aging or old), (3) you shouldn't have your hair however you like it (especial note: it's not even radical or outside accepted social norm), (4) (serious heavy implication that) you aren't capable of making an intelligent decision about how you wear your own hair, and (5) you not only don't look good... but you look well out of the socially acceptable norm for our society.

WOW

Can I please nominate her for the Disneyesque Wicked Stepmother of the Year Award for 2008 without hurting your feelings?!

Dreaminglong's stemother: Mirror, Mirror, on the wall - Who's the cruelest mom of all?

Mirror: You're lookin' at her, Your Nastiness!

Stepmother: Mirror, Mirror, silvered platter - Hush or by my hand you'll shatter!

Mirror: All-righty then.............. ............. ............. ____!

*CRASH*

*tinkling sound of shattering glass*

the above ^ tale is copyrighted by Grimmer Sister StephanieB :stirpot:

FTW! :rockerdud

harley mama
October 31st, 2008, 06:58 PM

Oh my, your stepmom thinks that 29 is old??? :confused:
How does she feel about dinosaurs with long hair? ;)

RavennaNight
October 31st, 2008, 07:01 PM
Hey, I'm 29 too and don't plan on chopping for any reason any time soon. Jeez I hope I don't get those comments from people when I turn 30. I'm one of those that will actually give a piece of my mind to em. Don't listen to her.

Tangles
October 31st, 2008, 07:11 PM
It's these kinds of thoughts that make life so much more depressing than it needs to be.

noelgirl
October 31st, 2008, 07:34 PM
I echo others who have already said that 30 is not old at all! That was probably the most ridiculous part - what, we spend pretty much our entire lives as old ladies? The notion that there is any age when long hair is inappropriate is just totally arbitrary. We have so many rules in our lives that actually matter - why add another?

Queen V
October 31st, 2008, 09:46 PM
Well, I'm 28 now and have no intention of cutting my hair once I reach a given age, whatever that may be. I love my hair, and the idea that long hair is inappropriate on older women is very old-fashioned, in my opinion.

BranwenWolf
October 31st, 2008, 10:19 PM
My mom has this idea that "older" women should not have longer hair.
I think as long as the hair is healthy you can wear it however you want. I intend to keep mine past my shoulders, if not waist length, for most of my life. It just behaves that way!

No one seems to bother the older women with gorgeous, long silvering braids at pow-wows.

spidermom
October 31st, 2008, 10:20 PM
One thing for sure - you are too old to let your mom tell you how to wear your hair.

People get all sorts of strange notions in their heads. I once had an old guy stop me in the grocery store to tell me that I wasn't old enough to wear the red-orange sweater that I had on (I was in my 30s). Say what?

Lamb
November 1st, 2008, 05:00 AM
but I'm still young enough between now and then to get away with it.

Uhh, now I'm confused, are we talking about hair or murder? :confused:

I just can't believe some people make such a big deal of other people's hair length.

30isthenewblack
November 1st, 2008, 05:05 AM
30 isn't old. People spend their whole life wishing it away. This makes me realise how lucky I am to have a supportive mother. I told her I was doing a microtrim on my longest lengths and she told me twice not to cut too much off!

longhairedfairy
November 1st, 2008, 05:13 AM
My grandmother (my mom's mom) always told me that if I ever cut my hair I'd regret it (which I know is true in my case). She was speaking from experience.

eadwine
November 1st, 2008, 05:18 AM

My comeback to this would be: and even older women should have learned to respect other peoples' opinions.

Tristessa
November 1st, 2008, 06:42 AM
I echo others who have already said that 30 is not old at all! That was probably the most ridiculous part - what, we spend pretty much our entire lives as old ladies? The notion that there is any age when long hair is inappropriate is just totally arbitrary. We have so many rules in our lives that actually matter - why add another?

Ah, this awesome comment sums up for me so much of what just boggles my mind about being a woman (though, guys out there, I know you also get your fair share of such rediculousness). I mean, really, we only have any worth or any right to do what we want, or attempt to be beautiful, or do or learn anything different, if we are, like, younger than 30? Then decade after after decade of conformity? Wha? I say boo!

Dreaminglong thanks for sharing your story; I'm glad you did and I hope you feel better after seeing all the support there is here at LHC. I've received similiar comments before and am your age. Hang in there. Your hair looks great.

Lady Lilya
November 1st, 2008, 07:17 AM
I'll be 30 in 17 months.

When I was closer to 20, I got a lot of comments about being too young to wear my hair in a bun.

purpleorc
November 1st, 2008, 07:50 AM
Has lady of 44 :agape: when did I get that old :lol:. Right back to being serious. Why oh why does it mean when we get to a certain age we have to lop our hair off.

I have had comments over the years but I have told them politely that it is my personal choice so like it or lump it.

I decided long ago that I wanted to my hair long so here I am breaking the mode of ideation that ladies of a certain age should cut their hair.

The only reason I can see that I would cut my hair to a shorter length is to make it easier to manage if my MS deteriorated to the point were very long hair was too difficult to manage.

MissFrenchTwist
November 1st, 2008, 08:01 AM
My step-mom has been saying that to me since I was 38... (I'm 63 now, and it's longer..) You can see how well THAT is working... :)

Speckla
November 1st, 2008, 08:38 AM
Uhh, now I'm confused, are we talking about hair or murder? :confused:

I just can't believe some people make such a big deal of other people's hair length.

both if she doesn't let up.:cheese:
________
Medical Marijuana Dispensary (http://dispensaries.org/)

neon-dream
November 1st, 2008, 08:42 AM
I get that all the time.
My step mam's like 'You're not 6! Only 6 year olds have long hair!'
I just ignore her, I love long hair. And loads of other people do
So just ignore it :) Long hair is gorgeous
xxx

Speckla
November 1st, 2008, 08:46 AM
I get that all the time.
My step mam's like 'You're not 6! Only 6 year olds have long hair!'
I just ignore her, I love long hair. And loads of other people do
So just ignore it :) Long hair is gorgeous
xxx

So why does hair continue to grow after the age of 6, 16, 26, 66 or 106?? The ends would snap off if it wasn't meant to grow.

Attitudes like that stink! :poot:
________
MAGIC FLIGHT LAUNCH BOX (http://www.vaporshop.com/mflb-vaporizer.html)

purplebubba
November 1st, 2008, 01:31 PM
She said it would look funny.

Reminds me of the saying "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

I'd rather look funny than say such "funny" things.

bunnii
November 2nd, 2008, 11:47 AM
She said it would look funny.

Reminds me of the saying "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

I'd rather look funny than say such "funny" things.

Bolding mine.

:rollin:now you know why I don't post much :D

QueenMadge
November 2nd, 2008, 12:42 PM
I think it is tied into the the thing of long hair being a youthful sexual thing....and when we are older we are not supposed to be recognized as such in our weird culture.....I am going to keep my hair long even though I am short, aging and it is curly and thick...I refuse to conform to what others think I should be:-). I will not be a meek mouse who fades into blue bubble haired obscurity unless it suits me to be blue bubble haired.......

teacher_mom2
November 2nd, 2008, 12:48 PM
What does she expect? When you hit 30, you need to get an old lady perm and a weekly "set"? LOL! I'm picturing myself with old lady hair. Ha ha ha!

I'd MUCH rather have long flowing tresses and I'm 36. :)

Indigosails
November 2nd, 2008, 05:25 PM

Gee stepmom, so kind of you to take an interest.:rolleyes:

I thought at some point the idea that a woman should not have long hair would be left behind. Is it because their mothers told them they coudn't have long hair and they believed her and are wanting younger women not to have what they didn't have? Confusing, I know.

Meatball Head
November 2nd, 2008, 10:10 PM
wow thats a bitch thing to say...lol the only person i get told doesn't like my haior is my sister...and i coudl care less what she says...she likes short hair. period...my dad loves my hair cuz he likes girls with long hair, my mom used to say i shoudl get it cut, but has since given up on my ass since i'm so stubborn, and since its long AND nice now she tells me to grow it long lol :P my aunt loves my hair and everyone else is just indifferent...although my little brother wants me to hack mine because whenever we have our "brother-sister fights" he alwasy has to stop cuz i yell cuz my hair gets caught somewhere...usually under him...LMAO...

Demetrue
November 2nd, 2008, 10:56 PM
Hmmm - I'm thinking of snappy comebacks ...
1. Life's too short to live by other people's rules
2. I'm really happy with it, and that's all that matters
3. Things have changed since you were 29 - People can wear their hair however they want to
4. My husband/boyfriend likes it long
5. Actually, I'm growing it down to my toes
6. I prefer longer hair on women, when are you going to stop cutting yours?

Elenna
November 2nd, 2008, 11:21 PM
My mom has this idea that "older" women should not have longer hair.... No one seems to bother the older women with gorgeous, long silvering braids at pow-wows.

I just love the thought of all these older indian women at pow-wows. No one is telling them to cut their braids off. :cool:

Vicky Veiss
November 2nd, 2008, 11:41 PM
No one seems to bother the older women with gorgeous, long silvering braids at pow-wows.

Long silver braids -- that's my ultimate hair goal! I have lucky family history on the "older women with long hair" score, since I can always remind anyone who even lets the word "haircut" pass their lips in my hearing that Grandmother R. had beautiful classic-length silver hair until the last year of her life. NOBODY is going to diss my Grandma, even by implication! :D

SearMeCarefully
November 3rd, 2008, 12:22 AM
I can believe it... there is a bizarre cultural fascination with lopping off locks when you blow out your 30 candles... or your 40... 50 ad nauseum. I think women look sexier with long hair and the young girls don't want the competition. :twisted:

Pax,
Crinita

hahah I love it! So awesome

Robbi Dehlinger
November 3rd, 2008, 12:33 AM
Very cool, you are probably right!:)

SearMeCarefully
November 3rd, 2008, 12:33 AM
I think it is tied into the the thing of long hair being a youthful sexual thing....and when we are older we are not supposed to be recognized as such in our weird culture.....I am going to keep my hair long even though I am short, aging and it is curly and thick...I refuse to conform to what others think I should be:-). I will not be a meek mouse who fades into blue bubble haired obscurity unless it suits me to be blue bubble haired.......

This makes sense to me. (and yet makes NO sense to me lol) It's so.. sad how it's perceived that the older you are the less sexual being you are.. Man are people going to be rolling over when they see me when I get "old" heeheehee :twisted:

gdimoonbeam
November 3rd, 2008, 08:40 PM
I watched "Practical Magic" yesterday. All of the main female characters had long hair, even the aunts.

Robbi Dehlinger
November 3rd, 2008, 11:06 PM
Ever notice how in many Romantic Novels that the heroine has long hair and the evil lady has it short???

Starr
November 3rd, 2008, 11:58 PM
I just want to know. . . since when did 29 become old?:confused:

If that's the case then in a couple of years I'll be officially old and longhaired.:disco::wigtongue

Robbi Dehlinger
November 4th, 2008, 12:19 AM
I am 29, for the 27th time?

I guess that makes me waaaay too old for long hair?:)

wizzel
November 4th, 2008, 12:31 AM
:blossom:Why is it that any one that dose something different is weird and should change to conform to cultural norms? To what is popular and "right" it just makes no sense. It seems to me that people would be much happier if they dressed and wore there hair in ways that made them feal comfortrable (with reasonable modisty). Don't worry about what your Stepmom says or any one else for that matter. The world dose not need more cookie cutter people be your self and be happy.

Lady Snow Bird of the Great North Western Valley of the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

wizzel
November 4th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Quick note i'm 25 and there is nooooooooooo way that i'm cutting my hair when i turn 30 not going to happen. It is just about tail bone length at the moment I'm probably going to grow it longer.

Robbi Dehlinger
November 4th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Quick note i'm 25 and there is nooooooooooo way that i'm cutting my hair when i turn 30 not going to happen. It is just about tail bone length at the moment I'm probably going to grow it longer.

Good for you! (Notice my goal?:))

purplebubba
November 4th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Good for you! (Notice my goal?:))

Is that the Diane Witt da long hair?

Robbi Dehlinger
November 4th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Is that the Diane Witt da long hair?

Only Diane Witt I know:)

How ARE you!

purplebubba
November 4th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Only Diane Witt I know:)

How ARE you!

PB is Jammin :o

Robbi Dehlinger
November 4th, 2008, 01:13 AM
PB is Jammin :o

So is your hair! I rmember when it was half that long and I looked like a boy:):D

Mebo
November 5th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Yeah, so do some of the rest of us! ^^^^^^^^^

Back to the topic - I have socks older than you are at 29. Your stepmom is seriously out of touch, and over the top on her advice. Maybe you should ask her if her hair is now the topic of conversation and advice?

Cascade
November 5th, 2008, 06:09 PM
This is how it works for some people:

3~don't you want her to have short hair so it's easier to comb?
9~you're athletic, wouldn't it be easier to have short hair?
15~don't you want to be trendy? get a hair cut and style. get some color.
23~aren't you a career woman? you'll want short hair to look professional. a fresh cut makes you look put together.
30~you're getting short hair now that you have kids, right? You don't want them pulling on your hair.
40~aren't you getting a bit old for long hair?
50~don't you want a nice cut to look younger? doesn't long hair pull your face down?
60~wouldn't short hair be more convenient?
70~you don't want to be a little old lady with a white bun, do you?

Some people just have ideas about how we should look, act, be. Don't worry about it. If it's not hair it will be something else.

longhairedfairy
November 5th, 2008, 07:49 PM
23~aren't you a career woman? you'll want short hair to look professional. a fresh cut makes you look put together.
30~you're getting short hair now that you have kids, right? You don't want them pulling on your hair.
50~don't you want a nice cut to look younger? doesn't long hair pull your face down?
70~you don't want to be a little old lady with a white bun, do you?Some people just have ideas about how we should look, act, be. Don't worry about it. If it's not hair it will be something else.

I would much rather be a little old lady with a nice neat bun than a little old lady with an inch of permed hair that shows how thin the hair is by exposing the scalp underneath.

Robbi Dehlinger
November 5th, 2008, 10:52 PM
LOL!

You got THAT right!

Sarahmoon
November 6th, 2008, 04:55 AM

Some people just have ideas about how we should look, act, be. Don't worry about it. If it's not hair it will be something else.

That is exactly how it works for most people :(
Not many are creative and have their own opinion.

noelgirl
November 6th, 2008, 05:40 AM

That's funny, because at each of those ages that I've hit so far, I've had equally good reasons to keep it long:

3 - nobody's getting a comb through these crazy curls, maybe they'll be tamer if they're longer
9 - you're taking dance now, and need to be able to wear a bun
15 - all the preppy girls at school are cutting and coloring their hair; hmmm, wonder how I can stand out?
23 - your hair is going to look wavy, crazy, and "unprofessional" whether it's short or long . . . unless it's pulled into a nice updo ;)

Who knows what the future will bring? :)

Robbi Dehlinger
November 6th, 2008, 05:48 AM
That's funny, because at each of those ages that I've hit so far, I've had equally good reasons to keep it long:

3 - nobody's getting a comb through these crazy curls, maybe they'll be tamer if they're longer
9 - you're taking dance now, and need to be able to wear a bun
15 - all the preppy girls at school are cutting and coloring their hair; hmmm, wonder how I can stand out?
23 - your hair is going to look wavy, crazy, and "unprofessional" whether it's short or long . . . unless it's pulled into a nice updo ;)

Who knows what the future will bring? :)

Your hair is AWESOME! Why would anyone want you to cut it??

(Jelousy or just cluless?)

noelgirl
November 6th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Your hair is AWESOME! Why would anyone want you to cut it??

(Jelousy or just cluless?)

Awww, thanks! And yeah, I can only hope that with age and wisdom, I'll have even better reasons to buck the status quo :p

Robbi Dehlinger
November 6th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Awww, thanks! And yeah, I can only hope that with age and wisdom, I'll have even better reasons to buck the status quo :p

Good for you!

Just do not do the oppsite of me and come out as a guy, like I came out as a girl? I LIKE my longhaired l'il sis:)

noelgirl
November 6th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Good for you!

Just do not do the oppsite of me and come out as a guy, like I came out as a girl? I LIKE my longhaired l'il sis:)

Haha, no worries there, I'm a total girl. A weird girl, for sure, but yeah:p

Robbi Dehlinger
November 6th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Haha, no worries there, I'm a total girl. A weird girl, for sure, but yeah:p

I am a total girl also, just do not always appear as such??:)

You go, girl (And GROW also)

Tressie
November 7th, 2008, 12:47 AM
As someone else pointed out in an earlier post, it used to be that all women and girls wore their hair long. Upon reaching a certain age, they were allowed to wear their hair "up". This was an exciting time of feeling "grown up". Sort of like young boys finally getting to wear long pants. A sign of maturity.

In the 1920's era there was a rebellion against established behaviors and staid dress and hair. Girls "bobbed" their long hair and wore dresses that looked more like slips than outerwear. They danced the charleston and rode in fast cars with fast fellows and sometimes drank booze LOL!

Here's the clincher........... most older women wore.......you guessed it.............LONG HAIR!!!!! (In an updo of course). :D

So, now we must cut our hair as we age "they" say, well I propose a new rebellion..................let's not!:cheese:

Tressie
November 7th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Whoa! I'd better stay away from your stepmother! Did someone appoint her the "Hair Length Fairy" or something?

Blow it off - I can't help but feel there's a goodly measure of envy and possibly some jealousy, too, going on here.

If she mentions your hair length again, and your "creaking old age" - what is THAT about??! Jeesh, 29 and OLD????!!! - tell her you like your hair long, and you don't intend to discuss it with her any further. Then comment on the weather and end of story! ;o)

There are no age limits to beauty - young or old, we are beautiful through all the phases of our lives. We simply need to remember to tap into our capacity to appreciate that there are different forms of beauty, as it flows over the passing of our years.

But 29-onto-30 is so far from being considered even "middle-age," it's laughable! That's what makes me wonder if there isn't something niggling behind the eyeballs of that sad figure of a stepmother. She needs to stop worrying so much about you and work on making herself happy and fulfilled....
Peggy E., I had to do a slight hijack and tell you that your comment about the "Hair Length Fairy" was hilarious!!!! Laughing, laughing!