PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Bristle Brushes, who uses them?

Stagecoach
April 9th, 2018, 12:21 PM
I came across Holisticchicks YouTube channel (https://youtu.be/T680KTT9NgE) the other day, and am facinated by the wooden bristle brushes she uses. I went to find one locally, and picked up a cheap one from the local Ulta, but it has bubble ends, and I want to get one of the Tek brushes that have straight bristles.

It feels so good on my hair, and glides right through it without any issues.

Have you used one? What was your experience?

Siiri
April 9th, 2018, 01:40 PM
I’ve got one with straight bristles from the body shop. I bought it specificly for blow drying since it doesn’t have seams or sharp edges but still has a good grip because the part where the bristles are attached is rubber. The one I use is labelled as styling brush, but they carry other kinds of wooden brushes too. Mine has been quite durable.

Otempura
April 9th, 2018, 01:50 PM
I have a really nice one that my boyfriend bought for me for christmas :) he got us a matching set even. It's brand Breezelike (I think that's the name, it's the name on the brush.) I don't remember what kind of wood it is though but I love it so much.

Stagecoach
April 9th, 2018, 01:59 PM
Mine has been quite durable.

Do you like how it feels in your hair? Does it seem to spread the oils at all?

Stagecoach
April 9th, 2018, 02:00 PM
I have a really nice one that my boyfriend bought for me for christmas :) he got us a matching set even. It's brand Breezelike (I think that's the name, it's the name on the brush.) I don't remember what kind of wood it is though but I love it so much.

How does it seem to do with the oils?

Glitch
April 9th, 2018, 02:29 PM
Lol I actually bought one that HolisticHabits recommended in a video! It’s been a couple months and it’s my first wooden brush. If used gently, many times not a single strand will end up out of the scalp :) If used roughly, well, speaking from experience, yikes! Anyway, it does do a fantastic job of spreading oils/sebum evenly across the hair. As a result, since I don’t want old sebum or oil going through my hair, I gently wash the brush about every week and a half or so.

Stagecoach
April 9th, 2018, 02:33 PM
Lol I actually bought one that HolisticHabits recommended in a video! It’s been a couple months and it’s my first wooden brush. If used gently, many times not a single strand will end up out of the scalp :) If used roughly, well, speaking from experience, yikes! Anyway, it does do a fantastic job of spreading oils/sebum evenly across the hair. As a result, since I don’t want old sebum or oil going through my hair, I gently wash the brush about every week and a half or so.

That's awesome!

Glitch
April 9th, 2018, 02:41 PM
That's awesome!

Yes, definitely much better than the plastic ones!

littlestarface
April 9th, 2018, 02:56 PM
I came across Holisticchicks YouTube channel (https://youtu.be/T680KTT9NgE) the other day, and am facinated by the wooden bristle brushes she uses. I went to find one locally, and picked up a cheap one from the local Ulta, but it has bubble ends, and I want to get one of the Tek brushes that have straight bristles.

It feels so good on my hair, and glides right through it without any issues.

Have you used one? What was your experience?

Offtopic but woah your hair has grown since that last sig pic you had up. Very nice.

lapushka
April 9th, 2018, 03:35 PM
I have a travel-sized one from The Body Shop, back when they didn't yet have bulbs on the end. It's a nice one. I would use it because it is comparable to the Tangle Teezer, but since I have so much "lint" in my hair at the end of the week the TT is easier to clean out. After my hair comes out the towel damp I use a Wet Brush. So my wooden bristle brush is kind of set to the side for the time being. I might bring it back out at some point, because it is a good brush and a good way to brush, IMMHO.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 9th, 2018, 03:40 PM
I have one and it feels wonderful on my scalp. I use it gently and it does no damage. I don't use it much though, I should probably reach for it more.

Groovy Granny
April 9th, 2018, 03:46 PM
Is it this one?
Breezelike Sandalwood Hair Brush (https://www.amazon.com/Breezelike-Sandalwood-Hair-Brush-Detangling/dp/B00PBXMAPY/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1523310189&sr=8-1&keywords=breezelike+wood+bristle+brush)

This is what I have and I love it!

It massages your scalp and does distribute the oils...as well as stop static flyaways.

Waterlilly21
April 9th, 2018, 04:52 PM
I ordered a tek brush from Calia website. Looking forward to trying it out and hope I like it cause it was definitely an investment. Glitch has amazing looking hair so I’m using that as hope I made a great decision 😆

Glitch
April 9th, 2018, 05:22 PM
I ordered a tek brush from Calia website. Looking forward to trying it out and hope I like it cause it was definitely an investment. Glitch has amazing looking hair so I’m using that as hope I made a great decision 😆

Omg thanks so much! I believe it was meant to be because that's actually exactly the brush I got, and from Calia too! I wish all these brushes were cheaper, but at least from what I've read and seen, it should last for many years :) I hope it works out for you! :heartbeat

Oh and don't forget to always start brushing from the bottom!

Waterlilly21
April 9th, 2018, 05:56 PM
I will! Thank you, glad to hear that’s the same brush! How do you clean it though if I may ask? U mentioned that earlier I think. Do you just rinse it?

Glitch
April 9th, 2018, 06:16 PM
I will! Thank you, glad to hear that’s the same brush! How do you clean it though if I may ask? U mentioned that earlier I think. Do you just rinse it?

Yeah no problem! I first manually remove any lint etc. from the brush (though I do this whenever too in general), then rinse under luke warm water. I'll wet my hand too and then soap it up with really gentle soap (I use Dove but I'm sure anything gentle/non-stripping is totally fine), and then "drip" the soapiness onto the brush like I'm sprinkling something on it. I'll move the brush around to get the soapy water everywhere, sometimes rubbing my finger in some areas, and then just rinse it again. I'll turn over the brush to air dry, which takes just minutes. This totally cleans it up like brand new :)

Otempura
April 9th, 2018, 11:21 PM
Is it this one?
Breezelike Sandalwood Hair Brush (https://www.amazon.com/Breezelike-Sandalwood-Hair-Brush-Detangling/dp/B00PBXMAPY/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1523310189&sr=8-1&keywords=breezelike+wood+bristle+brush)

This is what I have and I love it!

That's it exactly!!! It's simply the best!

Stagecoach
April 10th, 2018, 05:51 AM
Offtopic but woah your hair has grown since that last sig pic you had up. Very nice.

Thank you! It seemed time to update!

I ordered a tek brush from Calia website. Looking forward to trying it out and hope I like it cause it was definitely an investment. Glitch has amazing looking hair so I’m using that as hope I made a great decision ��

Me too! I'm hoping it doesn't take forever to arrive!

Also, the lady I linked to in my origional post has a video entirely about caring for wood bristle brushes.

Waterlilly21
April 10th, 2018, 07:42 AM
Thank you! It seemed time to update!

Me too! I'm hoping it doesn't take forever to arrive!

Also, the lady I linked to in my origional post has a video entirely about caring for wood bristle brushes. mines supposed to arrive today or tomorrow after what feels like two weeks. I had a big order though with a shampoo/conditioner bundle. Super excited, feels like Christmas when my hair product orders come in the mail.

Waterlilly21
April 10th, 2018, 07:43 AM
Yeah no problem! I first manually remove any lint etc. from the brush (though I do this whenever too in general), then rinse under luke warm water. I'll wet my hand too and then soap it up with really gentle soap (I use Dove but I'm sure anything gentle/non-stripping is totally fine), and then "drip" the soapiness onto the brush like I'm sprinkling something on it. I'll move the brush around to get the soapy water everywhere, sometimes rubbing my finger in some areas, and then just rinse it again. I'll turn over the brush to air dry, which takes just minutes. This totally cleans it up like brand new :)

Thanks so much for this! I’ll use your tip when I clean my brush. I saw your hair wrapping post too and I’m also gonna use that. Thanks!!

Glitch
April 10th, 2018, 07:58 AM
Thanks so much for this! I’ll use your tip when I clean my brush. I saw your hair wrapping post too and I’m also gonna use that. Thanks!!

You’re so sweet!! You’re welcome and best of luck! :heartbeat

Zalicat
April 10th, 2018, 08:56 AM
I love mine! I got mine while on exchange in france about 4 years ago and use it everyday and it looks brand new i think its bamboo. Spreads oils so well through my dry prone hair

Waterlilly21
April 10th, 2018, 11:54 AM
So my Calia order with my tek brush just came in and of course I couldn’t help but IMMEDIATELY take a shower and use all the products. I love the brush, it feels so nice and brushes through my hair so easily without snagging! Anyway wanted to let you all know I love my new wooden brush!

Stagecoach
April 10th, 2018, 12:08 PM
So my Calia order with my tek brush just came in and of course I couldn’t help but IMMEDIATELY take a shower and use all the products. I love the brush, it feels so nice and brushes through my hair so easily without snagging! Anyway wanted to let you all know I love my new wooden brush!

Yayay!!! I just received my shipment notification and can hardly wait for it to arrive.

Glitch
April 10th, 2018, 01:58 PM

Awesome!! :joy:

ReptilianFeline
April 10th, 2018, 11:26 PM
I love wood bristles!
My current brush is bought in the lokal pet supply shop... they have a number of amazing combs and brushes for dogs. This one is small enought to travel with and has no nobs on the ends. I'm sure that if it were sold for humans it would be three times the price or so.

Stagecoach
April 11th, 2018, 05:42 AM
I love wood bristles!
My current brush is bought in the lokal pet supply shop... they have a number of amazing combs and brushes for dogs. This one is small enought to travel with and has no nobs on the ends. I'm sure that if it were sold for humans it would be three times the price or so.

What a brilliant idea! I hadn't thought to check the pet shop but it sure makes sense. I'm good to hear you like it. My cheap, rounded end one I already love so I'm really looking forward to my nicer Tek brush.

Siiri
April 11th, 2018, 12:48 PM

I don’t try to spread the oils, but I think it would do that. The bristles feel smooth to me. The styling brush is more densely bristled that other body shop wooden ones as far as I kone. I think the large paddle brush has straight bristles too like the styling brush with no balls in the ends.

Waterlilly21
April 11th, 2018, 05:09 PM
Yay! Hope you don’t have to wait too long! Hope you like it!

Ligeia Noire
April 11th, 2018, 07:32 PM
I got one some years ago and I ended up not using it, I think I gave it away or something, every time I tried to use it, it snagged and pulled random hairs, it felt really stiff and I was afraid to use it on wet hair, I thought about buying a wooden comb instead just because I like the thought of wood but I gave up I just use what my hair likes, which is a cheap plastic conair comb that has never left me down, I prefer plastic, it is gentler on my hair and it does not snag and it does not splinter. To brush I just use the thick and curly TT and I am done. Yeah I definitely cannot use wood.

ursaV
April 11th, 2018, 07:47 PM
Glad you like it, it's definitely my preference. Boar bristle puffs up my hair, and plastic rips it. Wooden seems to be the smoothest! If anyones looking for an inexpensive quality one I have this Olivia Garden one and it works well, I just have to rinse it off after brushing through an oil treatment. https://www.ulta.com/healthy-hair-eco-friendly-bamboo-ionic-massage-large-oval-brush?productId=xlsImpprod4320091

Stagecoach
April 18th, 2018, 07:29 PM
My Tek brush finally arrived, and....WOW!!!! It is so much nicer than the Olivia Garden brush I had! It feels sooooo good on my scalp, and because how the bristles are shaped around the base it out it wayyyyyy less hair. I'm so in love with this brush.

browneyedsusan
April 20th, 2018, 07:17 AM
I have a bargain basement one from Walmart or CVS-- I can't remember. It was 8 or 10$, and I LOVE it. It detangles, scritches my scalp, and smooths my hair. Best invention ever!!!!

Stagecoach
September 12th, 2019, 06:29 AM
Over a year with my Tek brush now, and I still love it. It's the only brush I use anymore! My hair is now at hip length, nearing tailbone.

Zesty
September 12th, 2019, 07:38 AM
I use a Tek brush too, I like how it feels on my scalp and it seems to make my hair shinier than my Tangle Teezer (maybe that's the oil distribution?).