PDA

View Full Version : Does your hair have to adjust to air drying?

gustavonut
April 9th, 2018, 06:31 AM
Or does is have to get used to blow drying?
Either way I’ve noticed that for the longest time my hair was in the nicest condition when I airdried it, but in winter my hair thrives on blow drying. I have to have my hair slowly get used to airdrying now because at the start I had oily/sebum-y patches on my scalp, mainly the back of my head. I’ve found that drying out in the warm breeze or sun helps with that feeling. The next day it usually clears up though. :)

spidermom
April 9th, 2018, 06:47 AM
Well, I think maybe you have to adjust to how your hair looks and feels when it air dries.

lapushka
April 9th, 2018, 06:47 AM
Hmm, I'm not sure if there's a "getting used to" time at all.

I do both, I airdry for a couple hours, then all it needs is a quick diffusing session.

If you have sebum "patches", which isn't the norm, are you sure you are massaging your scalp enough while washing, using enough shampoo (too little can cause that as well)? Getting it everywhere?

gustavonut
April 9th, 2018, 02:38 PM
Well, I think maybe you have to adjust to how your hair looks and feels when it air dries.

Spidermom: Yes, I just love the volume I get with a hairdryer... I’m just afraid of tangling it too much because these past weeks I’ve been having a LOT more tangling after I blow dried my hair. My hair feels softer when I don’t blow dry though. I’d rather have soft untangled hair to be honest.

Lapushka: I think you’re right about it being from shampooing with too little shampoo. I use about a nickle sized amount and doubt that is enough. :) My hair is super thick on my scalp so it’s hard to get deep in there sometimes.

lapushka
April 9th, 2018, 03:37 PM
Lapushka: I think you’re right about it being from shampooing with too little shampoo. I use about a nickle sized amount and doubt that is enough. :) My hair is super thick on my scalp so it’s hard to get deep in there sometimes.

Unless you are diluting it, that is far, far too little shampoo for thick hair (ii/iii, iii). I glob a palmful on the back of my head, the top of my head, and one palmful separated into 2 for the 2 sides. Then I suds that up each individually until it becomes a lather on the entirety of my scalp, and I make sure to massage every bit of my scalp evenly.

gustavonut
April 9th, 2018, 04:09 PM
Unless you are diluting it, that is far, far too little shampoo for thick hair (ii/iii, iii). I glob a palmful on the back of my head, the top of my head, and one palmful separated into 2 for the 2 sides. Then I suds that up each individually until it becomes a lather on the entirety of my scalp, and I make sure to massage every bit of my scalp evenly.
:O wow. As long as it doesn’t dry my hair out, I will definetly use more shampoo now. In fact, when I scrub my scalp, i almost never have suds. So yeah, I will definetly use more. Btw the shampoo I’m using is Herbal essences hello hydration.

lapushka
April 9th, 2018, 04:27 PM
:O wow. As long as it doesn’t dry my hair out, I will definetly use more shampoo now. In fact, when I scrub my scalp, i almost never have suds. So yeah, I will definetly use more. Btw the shampoo I’m using is Herbal essences hello hydration.

Yeah, I do this because at the end of the week my hair is oily enough to need the good cleansing, and it needs to last me a week. A sulfate shampoo definitely needs to suds up!!!

Trip
April 9th, 2018, 04:36 PM
Seconding spidermom
If youre used to volumized/blown out hair after the hairdryer youre just not gonna get the same result airdrying
I will usually tip my head upside down in front of my fan as opposed to using heat and then let it airdry the rest of the way and think it comes out pretty nicely. Not the same as blowdrying but still less damaging than a blowdryer and less flat than airdrying

AmaryllisRed
April 10th, 2018, 01:55 PM
I definitely found that my hair needed to adjust to air drying. It used to feel greasy and like... sticky if I didn't blow dry.