PDA

View Full Version : Need hairstyle suggestions for a formal event.

Robot Ninja
April 7th, 2018, 05:23 PM
I'm going to a wedding in about a month and I have no idea what to do with my hair. I don't think I want to wear it down, since it's been tangle-prone lately, I don't want to do a bun, and my braids tend to shred and not look so nice after a few hours. I was thinking maybe some kind of bun-like style where the ends are hanging out so it's kind of like loose hair but "shorter" so I'm not sitting on it and it's not tangling as much. Hairtoy-wise, I'm limited to a Ficcare, a pair of sticks that may or may not work with any given style (they are a bit on the short and thin side), and some pins that I kinda suck at using but I'm willing to try again. So any ideas?

Sarahlabyrinth
April 7th, 2018, 05:27 PM
What about a knot ponytail? Like this?

https://i.imgur.com/7V7G9WS.jpg

-Fern
April 7th, 2018, 05:35 PM
What about a knot ponytail? Like this?

https://i.imgur.com/7V7G9WS.jpg

That's beautiful, Sarah! Do you happen to know of a tutorial?

Robot Ninja
April 7th, 2018, 05:57 PM
If that's just tying your hair in a knot, I need a thicker stick to make it work.

mwallingford
April 7th, 2018, 06:16 PM
I'm not sure if you're willing to dish out any additional money, but have you thought of trying spin pins? They work really well for me, and hold like a rock. They last time I bought them was a several years ago so I'm not sure how much they are now, but I can't imagine that a pack of three would cost more than $6.00-$7.00. They would be able to hide in your hair really well for something like the knot ponytail, and should hold all day so you don't have to worry about them. Or come to think of it, that type of style should theoretically be able to be held with bobby pins or even Amish pins if you have them and wouldn't mind practicing. Or maybe a ficcare could hold it?

And that's absolutely beautiful Sarahlabyrinth! :crush:

Robot Ninja
April 7th, 2018, 06:29 PM
I'm not sure if you're willing to dish out any additional money, but have you thought of trying spin pins? They work really well for me, and hold like a rock. They last time I bought them was a several years ago so I'm not sure how much they are now, but I can't imagine that a pack of three would cost more than $6.00-$7.00. They would be able to hide in your hair really well for something like the knot ponytail, and should hold all day so you don't have to worry about them. Or come to think of it, that type of style should theoretically be able to be held with bobby pins or even Amish pins if you have them and wouldn't mind practicing. Or maybe a ficcare could hold it?

And that's absolutely beautiful Sarahlabyrinth! :crush:

Spin pins do not work for me. At all. I've tried. They sit in a drawer, reminding me of my failure. They are little screws of disappointment. (And yes, I did use the good ones, they're Goody brand.)

cjk
April 7th, 2018, 06:29 PM
Formal styles are often about subtlety and simplicity.

Frankly, your avatar picture looks amazing. You'd look amazing.

But an updo is pretty common for formal events. Keep it sleek and simple, bunned or rolled, and you'll be styling. Keep any adornments precious and not overly showy, though.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 7th, 2018, 06:53 PM
That's beautiful, Sarah! Do you happen to know of a tutorial?

Torrinpaige has one for a knot bun, which includes the knot ponytail :) I just bunned my hair damp first, overnight, to get the curls.

mwallingford
April 7th, 2018, 07:07 PM
Spin pins do not work for me. At all. I've tried. They sit in a drawer, reminding me of my failure. They are little screws of disappointment. (And yes, I did use the good ones, they're Goody brand.)

Awe; I guess that's just the way things work out sometimes! (but "little screws of disappointment" had me laughing out loud, btw! :spitting:) I have to admit, that's me with bobby pins all the way. For whatever reason I have a heck of a time getting them to work, even though they seem to work for everyone else... they also like to sit there and remind me of my failure!

cm006j
April 7th, 2018, 07:10 PM
I love the knot bun with ponytail!

This is another option. The maki bun. I think you can control how much is hanging down. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAXcZGEw8ks

For something simple a peacock twist would lift your end up so you aren't sitting on them.

Robot Ninja
April 7th, 2018, 07:55 PM
I love the knot bun with ponytail!

This is another option. The maki bun. I think you can control how much is hanging down. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAXcZGEw8ks

I don't think I can get much hanging down, but it's a cute style, thanks for sharing. (Holy crap, a long-hair Youtuber who isn't a iii!)

For something simple a peacock twist would lift your end up so you aren't sitting on them.
Hmm, it appears there are variants you can do with actual long hair. Must research further. Googling "peacock twist long hair" of course brings up a bunch of tutorials for shoulder-length hair.