PDA

View Full Version : Different textures of hair suit different styles of fashion. Do you agree?

Wavybrunetteuk
April 6th, 2018, 07:46 PM
I saw a fashion article that suggested if you have curly hair, some styles of clothes will complement or highlight your hair better.What do you think? Does your hair affect the way you dress? If so (or not), I want to read all about it.

lithostoic
April 6th, 2018, 08:35 PM
Dumbest thing I've ever heard. One's hair is going to look the same regardless of the style of top one has on.

cjk
April 6th, 2018, 08:45 PM
I'm sure there is some correlation with ethnicities, Viking/Germanic styles pairing well with blond braids for instance. A redhead wearing tartans. Or dreadlocks with African inspired fashions.

But I think the correlation is weaker than you imply.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 6th, 2018, 09:05 PM
I'm sure there is some correlation with ethnicities, Viking/Germanic styles pairing well with blond braids for instance. A redhead wearing tartans. Or dreadlocks with African inspired fashions.

But I think the correlation is weaker than you imply.

I agree! Whoever wrote the article is probably trying to sell something, that's usually how these things go. As for myself, I don't follow fashion, I follow comfort :laugh:

Spikey
April 6th, 2018, 10:12 PM
I could see how it might. If you've got really curly hair, then that's a complex texture, so it might draw the eye in different ways then smoother, straighter hair? But that seems more like something a fashion designer would have to think about.

Personally my hair does sometimes affect the way I dress, but only if my curls look really good and I wear it down. If they look great I might wear a shirt that's lighter colored so you can see my hair better (I've got dark hair). Not something I think about on a regular basis, though.

longmane
April 6th, 2018, 10:20 PM
Different textures suit different styles? I don't think so. It goes in the same category with "you should get a specific haircut for your face shape" or "only this hair length will suit your body shape/built"
I don't agree with being told to have a specific texture/length/cut to give the illusion of whatever ideal look. I think it's just a way of limiting a person's options so that they spend more on shopping and salons. Gains $$ for them

AutobotsAttack
April 6th, 2018, 10:24 PM
I’m gonna agree with others. Not really something that matters at all. I appreciate how all hair textures are and frankly, the versatility that many hair textures have goes with whatever someone chooses. The person is what makes the clothes and hair, not the other way around. Ethnical background or hair color also don’t mean squat for how you decide to dress either. “Fashion” or rather, society view of “fashion” can go take a hike. Be the best spontaneous you that you can be.

cjk
April 6th, 2018, 11:39 PM
There was an episode of Project Runway in which the stylists did avant-garde hairdos and the designers had to create gowns to compliment them.

Like I said earlier, I do believe there's something to viewing hair as a part of an overall look. And, if that's true, the way the hair looks would be a big contributing factor to what you can wear successfully.

But I still think the degree of correlation is a lot smaller than the author implies.

yahirwaO.o
April 7th, 2018, 12:38 AM
Well the only thing that kinda applies to me and feel very good is wearing dark tops when hair is fine or thin at the bottom

My hair is dark, straight and fine so I feel a black top kinda deceives the eye into making it look fuller than it is and quite frankly white tops do quite the opposite.

But that just me, my hair is all dark so it gives not only for my hair but for my body and life style a lot of of benefits that are quite effortless.

Stray_mind
April 7th, 2018, 12:49 AM
I do think that complete look of a certain style requires certain hair too. That said, i don't follow fashion trends, never have and never will.
I dress according to my personality and not what is "in" that season.

Robot Ninja
April 7th, 2018, 06:16 AM
It's true to some extent. A sleek, minimalist style would go better with straight, sleek hair. A flowy, romantic dress goes better with wavy hair. If you look at runway photos, they style the models' hair to go with the overall look the designer is trying to accomplish. However, the real world is not a runway and we are not models being paid to fit a designer's aesthetic, so it probably only matters to people who are super fashion-conscious and like to follow trends and "rules."

Hairkay
April 7th, 2018, 06:37 AM
I'm simply not buying it.:cheese:

Kake
April 7th, 2018, 06:40 AM
I agree! Whoever wrote the article is probably trying to sell something, that's usually how these things go. As for myself, I don't follow fashion, I follow comfort :laugh:

Me too! Totally agree.

MoonRabbit
April 7th, 2018, 07:11 AM
I wouldn't go as far to say hair texture plays a huge role in clothing style but I would say hair styles do compliment certain clothing options better than others. Not sure if that would fall in the same category. As for myself, If I am wearing a Victorian inspired top, I prefer to have my hair wurly/curly unkept, and if I dress in a simplistic blouse, blazer, sleek look, I prefer to have relatively straight, 'polished' hair. But that just falls under my own personal preference since I don't know diddlysquat about fashion. This kind of reminds me of an article I read years ago about straight hair vs curly hair in the professional world, and how one with straight hair would be more likely to be hired for a job because they appeared more "put together". The article also gave clothing options for women with curly hair to wear to an interview to make them look "more acceptable"...

I just feel like when it comes to clothes, it depends on the person, what colors look best on their skin tone, body shape, all over confidence that person carries in the outfit. (anyone can wear what makes them feel good and happy) but to say hair is such a major importance..nahh

spidermom
April 7th, 2018, 07:38 AM
Well, to the extent that wearing long hair down works best with very smooth fabric in order to avoid friction damage - sure.

Groovy Granny
April 7th, 2018, 09:36 AM
In general...no; I wear what I want depending on the occasion and weather (and hair cooperation lol).

Sure....formal events = a more formal style...or for a themed party etc.

It sounds like the usual styling info re: hair and fashion depending on what was trending at that time....and I wear what I like and am comfortable in :lala:

enting
April 8th, 2018, 12:56 PM
I can see how a certain fashion may choose a certain hairtype to "go" with it, but there's no reason one can't mix it up. (edit: historically, certain hairtypes were in fashion or out of fashion together with certain clothing types. If a fashion is inspired by a certain historical period I could see wanting the hair types to reflect that historical fashion as well.)

I do think that different textures of hair can give a different effect, but as far as ultimately what hair types "go" with what, that's balderdash. That entirely has to do with fashion mores, and those change every few years, if not more frequently. I grew up being told that one can never wear black and dark blue/navy together, nor black and brown, yet last year dark blue or navy with black was the "in" style, and I have garments that have black and brown together in the same item. I might prefer a certain look that includes certain garments and certain hairtypes together, but there's no need to impose that on anyone else. I'm very much in the camp of doing your own thing as long as you're appropriately dressed for your environment.

Siiri
April 9th, 2018, 09:10 AM
This reminds me of a blog post I've read about matching your hair texture to the texture of your clothes. The point is to create harmony in your overall appearance: https://insideoutstyleblog.com/2008/10/how-to-choose-flattering-texture-in-fabrics.html

I can see how it could work, but obviously there are more things to consider when choosing what to wear, like your personal taste. I do feel like I look better in silk shirts when I've blow dried my hair straighter, but my natural wavy texture goes better with more textured linen shirts.