PDA

View Full Version : Question about my hair

chiapommama
April 6th, 2018, 02:24 PM
Wasn't sure where to put this , so if it's in the wrong place go ahead and move it.

Wednesday night was my regular wash day. I washed with Shea Moisture moisture retention shampoo and restorative conditioner. I didn't put anything else in it , because I wanted to see how it would do.
Yesterday and today my hair has been less shiny, rough , and frizzy looking. Not able to post a picture.I ditched cones here recently .
The shampoo was nice on my scalp though. It's less itchy than it has been, which is good for me.

Here's my question: What do y'all think is going on with my hair? Does it hate the stuff or what?

Thanks!

mwallingford
April 6th, 2018, 02:55 PM
Hello! Is there a reason you stopped using cones, or did you just want to give cone free a try? There seems to be a lot of debate with silicones, with people either loving them or hating them with not much in the way of middle ground. To be honest, I don't mind silicones. I think it helps my hair, and I just make sure to clarify every couple weeks. It gives me a good deal of slip so that I don't have as much mechanical damage from brushing/detangling, and seems to help the cuticle lie flatter. Maybe that's what cones were doing for your hair before? But have you tried other cone free conditioners? It could just be that this particular formula doesn't work as well for your hair, and that happens too! There may be a random ingredient in there that your hair refuses to like, and the only thing you can really do is take note of that and avoid that conditioner when walking down the hair care aisle. The shampoo sounds like it might be a good one for you though! Some people's scalps get irritated with sulfates, so maybe that was an issue before? I really hope someone with more experience can help you soon! I'm just guessing on everything here. And good luck finding what works for you! Sometimes that's the most fun part! :flowers:

lapushka
April 6th, 2018, 02:59 PM
Wasn't sure where to put this , so if it's in the wrong place go ahead and move it.

Wednesday night was my regular wash day. I washed with Shea Moisture moisture retention shampoo and restorative conditioner. I didn't put anything else in it , because I wanted to see how it would do.
Yesterday and today my hair has been less shiny, rough , and frizzy looking. Not able to post a picture.I ditched cones here recently .
The shampoo was nice on my scalp though. It's less itchy than it has been, which is good for me.

Here's my question: What do y'all think is going on with my hair? Does it hate the stuff or what?

Thanks!

It's difficult to say.

Looks like the shampoo is a hit. I have heard mixed reviews on that conditioner though.

Maybe you can't go silicone-free. Maybe it's that. Maybe for your next wash try the SM shampoo, but a silicone conditioner and see how your hair does with it.

Also, do you normally put stylers in your hair, or a leave-in and a serum, and you now didn't - maybe it's just that!

AutobotsAttack
April 6th, 2018, 03:15 PM
Sometimes the shampoos they have can be drying, even if they say moisturizing. It’s a bit of a hit or miss.

It’s a good idea to follow up with whatever matching deep conditioner of the line you’re using. If the shampoo didn’t work or was a bit drying, their deep conditioners do a decent job of giving some moisture back.

chiapommama
April 6th, 2018, 07:02 PM
Mwallingford I stopped using cones because I thought I was getting a lot of white dots with them. I have tried cone free before and never had this problem.

Lapushka when I used cones I did use a leave in after washing. Maybe I need to with this stuff.

Thank you all for your advice! You guys are a wellspring of knowledge.

I did put in some grapeseed oil and some Africa's Best, and it feels a little better. Maybe the Shea Moisture isn't moisturizing enough for me on its own.

mwallingford
April 7th, 2018, 06:08 PM
I would then agree with you and Lapushka and say that it was definitely the oils and additives that helped out afterwords. You could always try mixing that conditioner with a more moisturizing one next time to get better results and apply stuff as needed to your hair after the shower (like you did with the oils). Glad you found a solution to make it work!

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 8th, 2018, 12:14 AM
I would need to know your hair type. I cant see any info on you.
is your hair wavy and course or fine and curly, or straight and corse?

To me it sounds like you need more moisture and a styling product/leave in at the end of your routine
I love shea moisture products. But I deep condition with every wash.

Joules
April 8th, 2018, 03:56 AM
Dry and dull hair can also be a result of protein overload. There is such a thing as too much nourishment and moisture.