PDA

View Full Version : Does your hair hate braids?

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 5th, 2018, 05:16 PM
For me, its not that my hair hates braids but the exposure that braids give.
I was sleeping in a braid for 2-3 days, and by the time wash day came around, my ends looked dry and tangled.
The hair that was actually in the braid felt fine and great but my exposed ends were horrible.
I put my hair in a braid, oiled my ends HEAVY and when I woke up in the morning my ends felt great, a little oily but most of the oil was gone.
But any other way, my hair would not tolerate a braid. Anyone else?
I love braids because theyre gentle on my scalp but my ends just dont seem to like them.

I wont wear parandas or wrap my ends in ribbon/silk or wear a sleep cap.
Im trying to feel some bit of "normal" through this journey. Just putting that out there. LOL

nycelle
April 5th, 2018, 05:42 PM
I don't like them for me. They do nothing for my natural wave pattern other than give me BIG, frizzy hair. I also don't find them that comfortable. The longer my hair has been, the more pulling they've done on my scalp, but the same goes for ponytails.

Larki
April 5th, 2018, 06:29 PM
I always keep my hair super oiled or put deep conditioner in it when I braid, because that keeps it from 'shredding'. I haven't braided clean hair since I found LHC.

MusicalSpoons
April 5th, 2018, 06:42 PM
Ugh, even with heavily oiled hair my ends are ridiculously exposed in braids. They're just not protective for me, and also result in tangles. I'll only wear a braid now if it's going straight up into a bun, so to me I may as well save my energy and just bun the hair straight away! (I haven't done a braided bun for ages but on occasion it's a simple way to have a more intricate-looking style. Though the end has to be secured otherwise it will just unravel before I even get it up into a bun, so that's another potential form of damage to put me off doing them more often.)

school of fish
April 5th, 2018, 07:10 PM
Yes. Yes it does. :p

The only braid I ever wear is a side braid with a ridiculously long tassel - like 2/3 tassel to 1/3 braid. As far as my ends are concerned, my hair is worn loose even in that braid, lol!

AutobotsAttack
April 5th, 2018, 07:36 PM
My hair doesn’t particularly not like them, but there’s always opportunities for me to snap or snag a hair trying to pull it into a braid. It also pulls at the nape hairs on my head, and they’re some of the longest hairs I have, no matter how loose I make the braids. I much much much much much prefer two strand twists over braids. No snagging hairs and it doesn’t pull at my nape

Corvana
April 5th, 2018, 07:49 PM
Hmmm... I'm not sure? I do them for bed, and of course they shred a whole bunch by morning. But my hair doesn't feel worse for wear or anything.

cathair
April 5th, 2018, 08:17 PM
I like them. But my side sleep braid caused breakage around shoulder length. So I had to give them up completely, sleeping and awake.

Glitch
April 6th, 2018, 04:15 AM
I don't like them for me. They do nothing for my natural wave pattern other than give me BIG, frizzy hair. I also don't find them that comfortable. The longer my hair has been, the more pulling they've done on my scalp, but the same goes for ponytails.

Yeah, same here. I don't remember if I get frizz from them (it's been so long), but I do remember waking up multiple times to really messy, disturbed wave patterns and giant tangles from braids, even though my hair isn't tangle-prone to begin with :shake: I mean, I even sleep with loose hair and wake up to tangle-free hair. Anyway aside from that, the added scalp aches from braids were already too much. Sometimes I'll do a loose side braid but I know I can't keep it in for very long lol. They look so nice though, wish I could really rock them!

Lisa Long4Life
April 6th, 2018, 06:53 AM
I like braids but I think I've got too much of a taper going on, and lots of shorter bits near my neck that stick out and look messy. I also think my braid is skinny, my one braid is about the thickness of other people's braids when they have 2.
Wish I had more hair.

lapushka
April 6th, 2018, 07:34 AM
The only braid I like is a plain English side braid. And that's it. And yes, your ends are never neat, not once out the braid and not even in it; that is why I always leave a longer tassel, and that helps *hugely*!

NightSister
April 6th, 2018, 09:23 AM
YES. My hair hates the manipulation and my blunt hem leads to shredding. :shrug:

Nini
April 6th, 2018, 10:52 AM
Nope, not at all :)

Sure, it's on the thin side with my fine hair, the tassle might not be up to everybody's standard since I've got fairytale ends and sometimes I look like I stuck my finger in the socket. But I like it :D

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 6th, 2018, 11:31 AM
I’m not talking about my ends looking neat.
I’m talking about how dry and destroyed my tassel looks when I wake up.
Like it’s gone though a lot of friction.

MusicalSpoons
April 6th, 2018, 01:38 PM

I very quickly realised that sleeping with a braid was the quickest way to kill my hair :( not just the tassle, but the ends poking out throughout the length

Aredhel
April 6th, 2018, 01:56 PM

This exact thing happens to me when I wear a braid to bed. I wake up with a straw-like tassel.

Groovy Granny
April 6th, 2018, 02:01 PM
Now my tassels are fine in sleep braids :hmm: but the braided parts themselves dry out and frizz unless I apply Biosilk Lite Serum before/after.

Accent braids are out for me....my hair is too fine and wispy; even a French braid = cobweb tangles :tmi:

I can only do a faux French, a single english, side braid, or twin pigtail english braids to sleep; single rope braids are ok as well.

MoonRabbit
April 6th, 2018, 02:15 PM
My braid ends only feel weird in the morning if I am close to clarify time. But I would say my hair doesn't really care for braids much, I still get damage from them, and I wake up with tangles. Yet, I always do a braid before going to bed out of habit now. I just accept the damage now, since I can't seem to sleep with anything on my head.

spidermom
April 6th, 2018, 02:45 PM
Oh man; I love braided styles! I always braid as completely as I can (no long tassel). I haven't noticed damage to the ends although I never could overcome having thousands of split ends when my hair was long, so who knows?

Hexen
April 6th, 2018, 09:59 PM
I myself like them and I like my hair whilst braided. What I don't like though is sleeping with a braid, and the resulting waves from an extended period of adornment. Especially if placed while wet. I have this idea in my head that it looks like I applied an extra large crimping iron to myself. I do love my natural wave pattern and prefer that it be visible rather than something that resembles a cascade of uncooked lasagna noodles.

https://image.ibb.co/iSzkXH/JCvx_CE0a_A89_E.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

It's very possible that I could just be making my braids way too tight, with way too many "braidy" convolutions though.

Salwety
April 6th, 2018, 11:18 PM
My hair doesn't like braids too. The ends will look horrible only after an hour or two. And with my curly dry hair it doesn't move. It kinda sticks out like a broomstick. Buns are way better for me.

yahirwaO.o
April 7th, 2018, 12:26 AM
I like braids but I think I've got too much of a taper going on, and lots of shorter bits near my neck that stick out and look messy. I also think my braid is skinny, my one braid is about the thickness of other people's braids when they have 2.
Wish I had more hair.

You basically described my braid drama! :P

Im ok with the shed and such, but I kinda have mixed feelings on how skinny they look on me.

I usually put it two braided pigtails and its extremely comfortable to me and out of the way versus a bun for instance.

But they look skinny and braid waves are sometimes a total win or a total failure!.

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 7th, 2018, 01:00 AM
My braid ends only feel weird in the morning if I am close to clarify time. But I would say my hair doesn't really care for braids much, I still get damage from them, and I wake up with tangles. Yet, I always do a braid before going to bed out of habit now. I just accept the damage now, since I can't seem to sleep with anything on my head.

I haven’t genuinely clarified with a real clarifying shampoo in awhile.
I’ve used a sulphate free clarifying shampoo, a sulphate shampoo, and a chelating shampoo.
But I haven’t used a clarifying shampoo in a long long awhile.
Maybe I need to give it a try.

But yes, if my braid isn’t covered in oil, my ends usually look broom like after a night or two.

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 7th, 2018, 01:02 AM
This exact thing happens to me when I wear a braid to bed. I wake up with a straw-like tassel.
Yup! And I don’t want to be slathered in oil just so I can wear a braid.

Groovy Granny
April 7th, 2018, 01:03 AM
That's why I like the Biosilk Lite Serum before & after braiding ~ no greasies yet my hair is moisturized; just a few drops does the trick :thumbsup:

Hexen
April 7th, 2018, 01:55 AM
That's why I like the Biosilk Lite Serum before & after braiding ~ no greasies yet my hair is moisturized; just a few drops does the trick :thumbsup:

Hey I have some Biosilk! Bought it from my long time hairdresser friend that ive known since high school. I threw it into a box when I last moved (about six months ago) and only recently found it again. I have actually used it before and you are absolutely correct. A few pea sized drops seems to coat a surprisingly large amount of surface area. Pleasant aroma and I even really like the way it absorbs well and leaves little to no oily residual sensations on my skin after just a brief amount of time on my hands. And it seems to "condition" my hands and fingers as well after I apply it to my hair. (Not that im some guy looking for extra soft hands or anything lol) But I only really used it on the ends, meaning the bottom 6 or seven inches of my hair.

:o

Groovy Granny
April 7th, 2018, 02:49 AM
Hey I have some Biosilk! Bought it from my long time hairdresser friend that ive known since high school. I threw it into a box when I last moved (about six months ago) and only recently found it again. I have actually used it before and you are absolutely correct. A few pea sized drops seems to coat a surprisingly large amount of surface area. Pleasant aroma and I even really like the way it absorbs well and leaves little to no oily residual sensations on my skin after just a brief amount of time on my hands. And it seems to "condition" my hands and fingers as well after I apply it to my hair. (Not that im some guy looking for extra soft hands or anything lol) But I only really used it on the ends, meaning the bottom 6 or seven inches of my hair.

:o

Awesome :thumbsup:

I can't do oil on dry hair but it works well on damp, then I apply Biosilk to 'seal the deal'.

Speaking of 'deals'...you can get great deals on Amazon...anda bottle lasts a long time.

The fragrance is nice...and I sometimes add essential rose oil :love:

For me that is my 'holy grail' product for dry hair...to cut frizz and define wurls.

Hairkay
April 7th, 2018, 06:45 AM
I'm the opposite. If I leave my hair out it will tangle, have more ssk and the ends will dry out very fast. In plaits/braids or twists the moisture holds for longer and it's more organised because I keep it in sections which is best for thick hair. I don't have a tassel because I plait right down then twist the last inch or two. My tight curls let it stay most times though there may be a little unravelling. I do tuck up my plaits most times so the ends aren't exposed. I get to rinse my hair daily in plaits and let it air dry then go about my business. My hair thrives best in plaits/braids.

Joules
April 7th, 2018, 09:58 AM
My ends get dry in a braid, too, but here's the thing: ends of my hair get dry no matter the circumstances. I also tend to leave a very tiny tassel, if I leave a very long tassel it's fine, so braids aren't the problem, it's just the way my hair is. I'm ok with it, since I don't have a choice, my scalp is beyond sensitive, I can't wear buns for longer than an hour.

chomsky
April 7th, 2018, 12:10 PM
I'm the opposite. If I leave my hair out it will tangle, have more ssk and the ends will dry out very fast. In plaits/braids or twists the moisture holds for longer and it's more organised because I keep it in sections which is best for thick hair. I don't have a tassel because I plait right down then twist the last inch or two. My tight curls let it stay most times though there may be a little unravelling. I do tuck up my plaits most times so the ends aren't exposed. I get to rinse my hair daily in plaits and let it air dry then go about my business. My hair thrives best in plaits/braids.

I'm the exact same, only I don't rinse my hair every day.

The only time plaits aren't good for my hair is when I plait my hair for sleep when it's straightened. The tassel usually gets beat-up and sweaty while I sleep, but that's only when it's straightened.

Kat-Rinnè Naido
April 7th, 2018, 12:49 PM
I love plaits for my hair.
I do the basic three strand side plaits or pig tail type. I plait all the way to the ends then twirl the ends.My entire hair feels more moisturised when I wear plaits.

Beeboo123
April 8th, 2018, 04:03 PM
Meh my hair hates it. My braids get shredded within a few minutes, and the shredded bits form tangles, which is SUPER annoying because it tangles much more than when it is let down. And I don’t get braid waves, I get braid frizz. If I wear braids, I need a ton of gel and hair wax to hold it in place. I never wear them to sleep, so uncomfortable

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 9th, 2018, 02:09 AM

My hair reacts the same way. But if I leave a tassel the tassel gets broom sticky, dry and tangled.
Unless I moisturize really heavy or use oil on my ends. Soaking.
But my hair also gets tangled if I leave it loose.

Of the Fae
April 11th, 2018, 03:08 AM
The braided part feels tangle free and moisturized, and I love braids... but I'm starting to think that all the splits up my length are because of braids and friction :( and the ends don't do too well. Perhaps more oil? I dunno :(

Wendyp
April 11th, 2018, 06:01 AM
I have been sleeping in a braid for the last couple weeks and I think it’s really protecting my hair particularly fragile ends. I put on oil before though so that helps too. My ends feel super smooth on the am now. I’m using nightbloomings blends. I used to sleep in a bun on my head.

tangocurl
April 11th, 2018, 02:27 PM
My hair hates braids too. It looks like an old crimping iron job from the 80s when I take them out.

njrb
April 12th, 2018, 05:50 PM
I don't have any issues with braids, though I don't sleep in them. I do vary how long my hassle is here and there to prevent wear at the same spot though.

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 12th, 2018, 06:10 PM
The braided part feels tangle free and moisturized, and I love braids... but I'm starting to think that all the splits up my length are because of braids and friction :( and the ends don't do too well. Perhaps more oil? I dunno :(

That’s my same issue: the braided parts that are protected are fine.
The exposed ends and ends that are held with an elastic/band are not so happy.
There’s friction so I try to do the braided buns so the ends aren’t exposed at all.
But I can’t seem to get them to stay tight and neat, they always come undone and fall. lol.

Griselda
April 20th, 2018, 10:06 AM
I can't really enjoy braids because there is too much friction going on. It doesn't work as a protective style for me :(