PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo advertising...

Sarahlabyrinth
April 5th, 2018, 04:28 PM
How the shampoo advertisers fool us all... (but not LHCers, surely?) This was in the newspaper today.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=12027178

Dark40
April 5th, 2018, 04:46 PM
Yes, those shampoo ads do fool you. Especially, the ones here in the united states. My mom has always said especially the ads and commercials for Pantene Pro-V products when the ad says, "It will leave your hair looking and feeling strong, healthy, and shiny." My mom doesn't believe them. She always say, "They get those model's hair to look straight. healthy, and shiny by flat-ironing," and I agree with that too...lol

Sarahlabyrinth
April 5th, 2018, 04:51 PM
I love seeing the glossy beautiful hair in the ads, but never believe them. They photoshop them a lot too, you never see a single shorter hair sticking out anywhere, and hair just isn't like that!

Dark40
April 5th, 2018, 04:57 PM
I do too! Yes, they do photoshop them a lot, and no you don't see a shorter hair sticking out anywhere. Your'e right. Hair isn't like that!

NightSister
April 6th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Thanks for sharing, that was really cute :) NOW I WANT TO BUY NEW CONDITIONER ARGH

Kaya
April 6th, 2018, 09:57 AM
I always figured that those shampoo commercials were misleading, but I didn't quite realize just how much went on behind the scenes to get those sequences! :agape:

Serious kudos to Suave for doing this video! Refreshing and real! :applause:applause:applause

lapushka
April 6th, 2018, 10:13 AM
It's a piece on how Suave doesn't want to trick us, meanwhile it's just "another" way of doing marketing, after that study revealed that people aren't fooled - they had to do something. ;)

Yeah...

Oh well, shampoo is shampoo to me. I prefer the harshest on the market and I just go by ingredients. Currently I am using up whatever's in my stash, and it works just like any other shampoo, as long as there's sulfates in them. :shrug:

ETA: when that tall blonde lifted her head up (with the cotton pads and all). I *actually* thought it was her own hair. OMG! :shocked:

Glitch
April 6th, 2018, 03:04 PM
I love seeing the glossy beautiful hair in the ads, but never believe them. They photoshop them a lot too, you never see a single shorter hair sticking out anywhere, and hair just isn't like that!

I know what you mean, hair really doesn't even ever look like that, it's just not what hair is!

I always figured that those shampoo commercials were misleading, but I didn't quite realize just how much went on behind the scenes to get those sequences! :agape:

Serious kudos to Suave for doing this video! Refreshing and real! :applause:applause:applause

I really like how the models weren't photoshopped to hell and back either, it was definitely refreshing to see.

nycelle
April 6th, 2018, 03:13 PM
The hair isn't real, and neither are the claims the shampoo companies make. All fake.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 6th, 2018, 04:58 PM
It's good seeing the reality behind the hype....

spidermom
April 6th, 2018, 08:26 PM
The Suave hair, except for the super curly girl, looked impossibly smooth and even, too; no shorter, newer hairs sticking out to ruin the look of the canopy. I didn't see anything refreshing or new in that at all.

yahirwaO.o
April 7th, 2018, 12:17 AM
I always took for granted it was expensive photoshop to hell wigs what they used in modern ads so it was not that much a surprising!

Actually I love seeing late 80's early 90's mexicans ads, the blow dry straight bouncy look was pretty beautiful and realistic.

Suave is making marketing and its fine, it was cool to see some backstage thing just to make sure how unrealistic the whole thing is!

Stray_mind
April 7th, 2018, 01:10 AM
Bhahaha, i was a kid still and i already knew that hair in shampoo adds are Fake as heck, either completely fake or edited.

I Love the ladies showing their real hair. I think it looks much more beautiful, just like i think a natural look looks much more beautiful than one with make up caked on and false eyelashes ( I recently modeled for a make up school, it was fun and all, getting my face painted, and it looks Striking and bold in pictures, but i looked at them and ...Didn't See myself, but a fake doll...)..

Stray_mind
April 7th, 2018, 01:12 AM
The Suave hair, except for the super curly girl, looked impossibly smooth and even, too; no shorter, newer hairs sticking out to ruin the look of the canopy. I didn't see anything refreshing or new in that at all.

It's because the girls styled it with the blow driers before that... Average women usually style their hair after washing, instead of air drying and letting it be like we do, so i think it's quite natural :)

embee
April 7th, 2018, 05:25 AM
Is anyone old enough to remember the Breck Shampoo ads from mid-20th century? They were not photographs but drawings, and they clearly portrayed "an ideal". I think a whole generation struggled to achieve that look!

Joules
April 7th, 2018, 10:04 AM
I remember being 12-13 years old and falling for this deception. I used Dove shampoo and conditioner in blue bottles and I genuinely couldn't understand why my dry and wavy hair didn't look like a commercial, and what were these tiny short strands that were sticking out all over my canopy and ruined the whole look. When I was 13 I got so ridiculously frustrated I decided to just start regularly straightening my hair with a blow dryer (I didn't know heat protection was even a thing), and after two months of perfect frizz-free days my hair got burned to chrisp and I had to cut a lot of it off.

Moral of the story: hair commercials are pure evil.

sugar&nutmeg
April 7th, 2018, 11:10 AM
embee I confess to being old enough to remember the Breck Girls. I loved the beautiful drawings, but the shampoo was very harsh as I recall.

Once I grew up, I stopped believing anything any advertisers told me. Once I realized that they were NOT my best friends sharing important secrets and / or life-changing information with me, out of the goodness of their hearts.

Yeah. No. They're only trying to sell things, to make money for themselves. The end. Yet, it still seems to work, on so many people...

hennalove
April 7th, 2018, 11:44 AM
All advertising is 'fake' to greater and lesser degrees especially with respect to foods and beauty but really pretty much anything. I gave up magazines years ago as they aren't ecofriendly, use a strong adblocker on my computer and very seldom see advertising on tv so while seeing these clips didn't surprise me entirely, in some ways they did. The styrofoam ball one is really more into the fraud aspect of advertising but they likely call it creative licensing. At any rate, the beauty industry has consistently created advertising and standards the normal person cannot possibly achieve. No product in a bottle is ever going to give those kind of results but they do play into our wishful thinking and vanity all for the all mighty dollar. I have found and this may be just be but most of my absolute must have or favourite productus that I currently use do minimal to no advertising. Instead they rely on word of mouth and ethics. No unrealistic promises ;)

lapushka
April 7th, 2018, 12:23 PM
Oh gosh, I haven't read a magazine in forever, so I'm not up on current actors/actresses or singers, etc. No gossip, not a thing. It is so freeing. :D I only buy a weekly TV program booklet and sometimes there's a few articles in there, but I almost never read them.

sugar&nutmeg
April 7th, 2018, 04:57 PM
Off-topic slightly

lapushka at the supermarket, in the check-out line, where all the 'entertainment' magazines are, I never know who any of the 'stars' are featured on the covers. Not a clue.

You know, all those poor people who apparently have no last names. ;)

I'm strangely okay with my ignorance on this matter.

lapushka
April 7th, 2018, 05:00 PM
Off-topic slightly

lapushka at the supermarket, in the check-out line, where all the 'entertainment' magazines are, I never know who any of the 'stars' are featured on the covers. Not a clue.

You know, all those poor people who apparently have no last names. ;)

I'm strangely okay with my ignorance on this matter.

Hahaha! LOL!

When I was a teen, I was on top of every movie that came out. Nowadays? Not so much. Yes, Blade Runner, because I followed the series, that remake has to be awesome, but for the rest... I didn't even buy magazines in my 20s!

cjk
April 7th, 2018, 10:38 PM
Harrison Ford is Deckard. Period.

Hollywood really does hold pretty much zero interest for me. They even managed to screw up Star Wars. I usually wait for stuff to come out on cable, don't even bother going to a theater any more.

I'm not sure that the current crop of "stars" was even born the last time I paid for a movie ticket.

sugar&nutmeg
April 8th, 2018, 06:47 AM
It's annoying to be thought (by advertising companies) gullible enough to fall for their tricks. But I will say that, once you've 'broken the code' and truly understand that advertisers are playing you, it can be fun to pick adverts apart (print and video).

ravenskey
April 8th, 2018, 07:15 AM
So unsurprised about the ads. No ones hair is that perfect without help.

All the ads with hair wafting in the air - anyone with long hair can say that's impossible with out a lot of tangles. :rant:

Stray_mind
April 8th, 2018, 10:22 AM
So unsurprised about the ads. No ones hair is that perfect with help.

All the ads with hair wafting in the air - anyone with long hair can say that's impossible with out a lot of tangles. :rant:

Even with short hair it's impossible, hahaha (unless you have a pixie cut, then maybe :D)