PDA

View Full Version : Can naturally frizzy hair be healthy and grow longer?

Margarita
April 4th, 2018, 03:28 AM
Just a question from a natural frizzy hair girl, ofcourse my hair is healthy and moisturized but its naturally frizzy no matter what(this doesnt mean that my hair dont have awsome hair days where my hair dont frizz). So, can healthy hair be frizzy?

Joules
April 4th, 2018, 04:08 AM
My hair is naturally a freeze fest and it's now pushing hip length. Frizz is essentially a type of texture, it doesn't mean that your hair is inherently damaged, but it may be prone to more damage than for instance straight hair (like, it tangles more, it's drier, etc.). If you're taking good care of your hair and don't use heat, there's no reason why your hair can't be healthy.

Margarita
April 4th, 2018, 04:16 AM
Ofcourse, thats what i mean. Im tired hearing people saying that frizzy hair means damaged hair even if its color-treated(my hair is color-treated). Thanks to the forum, i learned to take care of my hair even better and i have zero split ends :D

lapushka
April 4th, 2018, 05:18 AM
Just a question from a natural frizzy hair girl, ofcourse my hair is healthy and moisturized but its naturally frizzy no matter what(this doesnt mean that my hair dont have awsome hair days where my hair dont frizz). So, can healthy hair be frizzy?

Frizzy has nothing to do with growth or health; just with how you take care of it. I'm sure that if you moisturize more, the frizz will go down more. Nice and thick conditioners (for dry and damaged hair, as those are the most moisturizing on the market), and curly girl methods such as the LOC/LCO method (link in my signature).

That should help.

Simsy
April 4th, 2018, 05:27 AM
Seconding Lapushka, frizz won’t stop you from growing long hair.

Just means you will need to be on top of the moisture and care routine for your hair; but that isn’t anything you won’t already be doing.

Margarita
April 4th, 2018, 05:27 AM
I continue doing the CGM once a week. I just asked this question to see and other's opinions based on this texture and what they have to say about. Absolutely i dont stop moisturizing my hair but ofcourse as balanced as possible to not cause any over-moisturize :D Thank you.

lapushka
April 4th, 2018, 05:30 AM
Sometimes frizz just comes with being wavy, Margarita. Don't worry about it. :D :flower:

Margarita
April 4th, 2018, 05:37 AM
Yes, lapushka
Thank you all for your replies!

Kake
April 4th, 2018, 06:08 AM
I think frizz does not necessarily equal damage. Some of us just have frizzy hair. I don't have splits either, but my hair looks like it does due to frizz and regrowth. Serum is my best anti-frizz product, but that would be a CGM no no.

DweamGoiL
April 4th, 2018, 09:47 AM
Echoing that frizz does not equal damage. My hair is very healthy (have had it tested for properties) and it still frizzes. For me it's not about adding moisture with products because my hair is smooth when it's in low humidity. I call my hair humidity hair. It springs into action to let me know when it's going to rain. I don't tame it with moisture because since my hair is also fine, it would just lay flat looking stringy and gross. I just accept that it will be somewhat frizzy and go about my day. Regarding growth, my hair is now HL, but it grew out to CL when I was a child. Because my hair is prone to frizzing it's also super tangly when it's out of the bun. Even when contained there is always some random hairs bounding about.

What I do find works to tame the frizz for me is non-alcoholic hairspray and not touching my hair while it's air drying. Damp bunning used to always leave my hair very sleek and bouncy, but now my scalp doesn't like it and as the hair gets longer, that damp bun gets heavier :)

Groovy Granny
April 4th, 2018, 10:23 AM
New growth can make it look frizzy too if you have a tendency to curl.
I have new growth from crown to hemline and my fine silver curls at the least hint of humidity, giving it that 'look'....but it just is not 'sleek' :shrug:.

Biosilk Lite Serum helps me get some definition while not weighing it down or making it greasy.

Rosewater and glycerin spritzes also help....as does damp bunning for an hour +

In the past I used hairspray, and will occasionally now if I have somewhere special to go and really need it to hold ....rarely though.

I have come to embrace and love my natural texture and plan my styles according to how it is behaving :flower:

nycelle
April 4th, 2018, 10:37 AM
@DweamgGoiL - It's the god awful summers here. The humidity is ridiculous.

I also frizz up terribly when it rains, and in the summer if I don't use products like hair oils. And not the natural kind, I mean hair oils with natural ingredients plus cones. Like my HG Ouai hair oil.

Keeping my hair well moisturized via conditioners isn't enough for me. But like others have said, the frizz itself doesn't mean damage, not at all.

Margarita
April 4th, 2018, 10:44 AM
Its also very positive that i dont have anymore split ends so i can say that "saves" my frizz kind of. My hair has grown 2 inches(maybe, who knows, im just calculating) and its the first time my hair didnt get any split ends and horrible frizz while growing. Ofcourse my hair is quite enough short to frizz horribly, but i guess due to the revolution of having a new and healthier hair routine will save my hair.

lucid
April 4th, 2018, 11:45 AM
Why is frizz considered bad? I thought it was mostly a consequence of having more textured hair. It even took a while before I even understood what people were talking about - I thought their hair looked great.

I usually like frizz, it softens updoes/hairstyles and looks natural. When looking at before/after anti-frizz pics, I tend to like the "before" pic better. Especially when it comes to curly hair.

I guess there is a difference between excess frizz from under moisturized hair and frizz caused by natural texture?

Margarita
April 4th, 2018, 12:03 PM
lucid Finally a person who speaks, personally i dont like frizzy hair and im trying to smooth them down to become more "textured". I feel bad when i have frizzy hair days and some people say to me why my hair looks like this and WHY it looks like this.
Many people with naturally straight hair complains their hair frizz but they actually can fix this at once because straight hair are "weighed down" and stronger to humidity. Unlike curly hair is more prone to frizz and it needs sometime to fix the frizz.
Anyway, sometimes i completely ignore how my hair looks.

Kake
April 4th, 2018, 01:10 PM
Why is frizz considered bad? I thought it was mostly a consequence of having more textured hair. It even took a while before I even understood what people were talking about - I thought their hair looked great.

I usually like frizz, it softens updoes/hairstyles and looks natural. When looking at before/after anti-frizz pics, I tend to like the "before" pic better. Especially when it comes to curly hair.

I guess there is a difference between excess frizz from under moisturized hair and frizz caused by natural texture?

I find frizz very annoying, I deal with it every day. It doesn't go away. Maybe it's one of those things that looks worse to the person who has it than it does to others. But that doesn't make it any easier to live with, not for me anyway.

lucid
April 4th, 2018, 01:16 PM
I find frizz very annoying, I deal with it every day. It doesn't go away. Maybe it's one of those things that looks worse to the person who has it than it does to others. But that doesn't make it any easier to live with, not for me anyway.

Annoying how? The way it looks or the way it behaves?

Kake
April 4th, 2018, 01:23 PM
Both. How it looks and the fact I can't do anything about it.

nycelle
April 4th, 2018, 01:24 PM
I don't like the way it looks or the way it behaves.

When my hair gets frizzy, it gets puffy and big. There is no defined wave, or curl. I prefer my hair smooth.

here's a pic I found online.

This is frizz to me.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31087&d=1522870035

Stray_mind
April 4th, 2018, 01:35 PM
My hair is a frizz fest sometimes (espacially if i comb it out after washing) and i successfuly grew to hip length and would have grown more if i hadn't cut off my hair. Frizzy hair are usually just lightweight wavy hair.

hennalove
April 4th, 2018, 01:37 PM

To me there are two types of frizz. There's the cute little baby hair frizz 'just waking up from a nap frizz' that in adult life softens hairstyles, usually worsened by humidity. Then there is the frizz due to damage that is just not nice, all over 'I fried my hair' frizz. I don't mind the baby frizz because it is natural and while it can be annoying sometimes I still don't mind it. What I really don't like is the second type of frizz because there is damage from something I've done or am doing to my hair so this is the frizz I try hard to minimize. But, we have all seen that frizz on someone who has over processed their hair and honestly it's almost to the point of no return. I would consider that frizz to be a bad thing. Thank goodness my hair tends to frizz from the first type mainly during high humidity days in the summer so while I say it is prone to frizzing it is only under certain conditions and then mainly the baby hairs.

hennalove
April 4th, 2018, 01:41 PM
Rosewater and glycerin spritzes also help....as does damp bunning for an hour +

How do you make this? It sounds like a lovely way to combat a bit of the frizzies.

Groovy Granny
April 4th, 2018, 01:53 PM
How do you make this? It sounds like a lovely way to combat a bit of the frizzies.

I buy it on Amazon....or from Lucky Vitamin .....I look for the best deal ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Heritage-Store-Rosewater-Glycerin-Ounce/dp/B001U2BUJW

It is great for the body as well; I love it in Summer to freshen up on a hot day.

It is even nice spritzed on bed linens or clothing ....or used as an air freshener :love:

MusicalSpoons
April 4th, 2018, 03:19 PM
My hair isn't exactly frizzy according to nycelle's picture definition; it's probably more along the lines of hennalove's 'baby hair frizz' description. But here's the top part of my hair in its completely natural, airdried state:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4548/37558268694_c22745959a_n.jpg

My hair was not quite mid-thigh length, there, and frizzy like that pretty much all the way down (I couldn't fit any more into the shot). So yeah, naturally frizzy hair can be healthy and grow long :grin:

[Btw I usually airdry overnight to avoid that frizz fest; it seems to somehow flatten the frizz and makes it so that it blends into the rest of my hair when I comb it all the next morning.]

Alex Lou
April 4th, 2018, 03:32 PM
My hair has a frizzy texture. It's naturally strong and grows long easily. I notice that my kinky strands tend to break more easily though. So I guess it depends on your definition of frizzy. I think curly girls typically do have a harder time.

Alex Lou
April 4th, 2018, 03:37 PM
Btw, I thought that my frizzy hair meant that it was damaged, so I grew out my virgin hair for years and it was still frizzy. And since I'd given up heat, people were saying, why don't you iron/blow dry your hair?

I've even gotten the response on these boards that my natural texture looks "dry". It's not...

nycelle
April 4th, 2018, 03:51 PM
My hair isn't exactly frizzy according to nycelle's picture definition; it's probably more along the lines of hennalove's 'baby hair frizz' description. But here's the top part of my hair in its completely natural, airdried state:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4548/37558268694_c22745959a_n.jpg

My hair was not quite mid-thigh length, there, and frizzy like that pretty much all the way down (I couldn't fit any more into the shot). So yeah, naturally frizzy hair can be healthy and grow long :grin:

[Btw I usually airdry overnight to avoid that frizz fest; it seems to somehow flatten the frizz and makes it so that it blends into the rest of my hair when I comb it all the next morning.]

Yours looks like new growth to me, more like flyaways rather than frizz? hmm...:hmm:

Oddly enough, even in the nasty weather we're having here, I haven't had any frizz in a while. Fingers crossed it stays flat through the summer..

Kake
April 4th, 2018, 04:02 PM
My frizz doesn't change with the weather. Seems like that's unusual. My curl pattern stays the same too. Maybe climate related.

Hairkay
April 4th, 2018, 04:12 PM
Frizz is part of my hair's nature. That doesn't stop it from growing once I keep it properly moisturised and use updos to reduce wear and tear.

Dark40
April 5th, 2018, 05:05 PM
Ofcourse, thats what i mean. Im tired hearing people saying that frizzy hair means damaged hair even if its color-treated(my hair is color-treated). Thanks to the forum, i learned to take care of my hair even better and i have zero split ends :D

Yeah, I'm also sick and tired of people saying that frizzy hair mean damaged hair too! i naturally have frizzy hair too, and take special care of mine. Because, it's chemically-treated. Meaning that I both relax and color-treat my hair. So, you know with that type of hair it is prone to breakage and split ends. But with me using good thick conditioners and using products to moisturize my hair and scalp I don't have any problems with split ends. I only have to trim once or twice a year. Instead every 3 or 4 months. To me, that's unnecessary...lol

*Wednesday*
April 5th, 2018, 08:48 PM
Lord knows my hair gets frizzy. When it is hot and humid, it's nuts. I just go with it. I wear it up all the time anyway.

hennalove
April 6th, 2018, 07:29 AM
I buy it on Amazon....or from Lucky Vitamin .....I look for the best deal ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Heritage-Store-Rosewater-Glycerin-Ounce/dp/B001U2BUJW

It is great for the body as well; I love it in Summer to freshen up on a hot day.

It is even nice spritzed on bed linens or clothing ....or used as an air freshener :love:

Perfect! Thanks so much. I will definitely be giving this a try as it sounds quite lovely.

Beeboo123
April 8th, 2018, 04:24 PM
My hair frizzes just as it’s about to rain... my friends and family sometimes look at me and say “don’t forget to bring an umbrella, look at beeboo’s hair!”. Grrrr humidity. I don’t think my hair is damaged or dry, it always feels soft

yahirwaO.o
April 8th, 2018, 06:24 PM
Most people think only wavy or curly hair is frizzy...

Well im one of those people whose hair is naturally straight and its just frizzy naturally. Some people in here have mention that it might be a potencial for wavy hair and not really my hair is not at all wavy if i apply product or dry it in a shirt it looks like messy stringy straight hair.

I confirm this with people who have my same problem here in country There were 3 girls with kinda my same texture in class (Black, fairly thick and straight) they all had my same issues like me. One of my those ladies had lovely classic lenght hair but she usually braid it and play with make up so she never got anything but compliments.

Me on the other hand being a boy and enjoy wearing it down I had people telling things that go from "your hair is so bouncy" to "you look caveman". So this texture is running in people here in my native indigenous group (some however it is sleek 1A straight naturally :pumpkin: I wish i had)

Usually 2dn day hair looks much tame but i prefer to wash at least every other day cause i work out and do a lot of that involves sweat and cooking

Sure puting it up helps a ton but im much more a wash, comb, spray and down go person. Products and conditioners only make it look limp or crunchy. Oiling lightly, hairspraying and ACV is what kinda works still it is frizzy and my open natural cuticles are just like so.

Now i simply embrace it, it is growing and its super healthy also clean hair is nice for people who have fine hair (I can cheat thicker hair like so). So in short, frizzy hair can be healthy and there are ways to semi tame it without damaging but overall it is natural and sometimes its nice just to accept it! :):):):)