PDA

View Full Version : 100 stroke brushing with BBB

Wendyp
April 3rd, 2018, 02:57 PM
I was just reading that this is recommended for hair growth and health. I’m really afraid to brush my hair is really only comb. What’s the verdict on this one?

Groovy Granny
April 3rd, 2018, 03:04 PM
I do it mostly in Winter to cut static, and it has had nice results on my fine wispy silver in general.
I have very little sebum, but what I do have as the week progresses, plus the oils/serums I use are worked into the ends and my wurls are very soft and moisturized.

I avoid it in Summer humidity because it causes frizz and decreased curl definition.....but I have a BBB version of the Vented Wet Brush that I used year round for detangling, so I still get some BBB benefits,and the bristles reach further down the shaft because of the nylon bristles in the brush too.

It also enhances my shine.

Trip
April 3rd, 2018, 03:17 PM
Agreed^
I use it a lot in winter snd when stretching washes to distribute the sebum makes my hair look really good/moisturizes and doesnt give me breakage like it does some people really badly - I’d give it a trial run and see how it works for you

nycelle
April 3rd, 2018, 03:18 PM
I also think it's a good way to cut static and spread sebum. But no matter how gently I brush, I break and pull hair out.

Groovy Granny
April 3rd, 2018, 03:47 PM
Agreed^
I use it a lot in winter snd when stretching washes to distribute the sebum makes my hair look really good/moisturizes and doesnt give me breakage like it does some people really badly - I’d give it a trial run and see how it works for you

I also think it's a good way to cut static and spread sebum. But no matter how gently I brush, I break and pull hair out.

I have never had breakage :hmm:

nycelle
April 3rd, 2018, 03:50 PM
I have never had breakage :hmm:

Lucky.
I can't use brushes, and haven't seen my teens. Well not true, I use to use the huge round barrel ones for blow-outs but that's it. Never just to brush.

lapushka
April 3rd, 2018, 03:57 PM
If I were to do that with my wavy hair, I would not only fluff it all up but it would lead to breakage. I did brush with a nylon BB brush before and I found that yes it wasn't the best for my hair and that I lost a lot more than with the TT. So it was an easy choice for me.

I think that myth of a 100 strokes was done away with before on this forum. If I remember correctly. ;)

Groovy Granny
April 3rd, 2018, 04:05 PM
I dunno about it being a myth; it was suggested decades ago for having healthy hair.

The fact that it distributes the sebum = shine and less static has held true for me for 66 + years :flower:

As for the exact number of strokes.....for me 100 strokes is what I average when brushing my hair both inverted and hanging naturally based on my own length and texture.

I am unsure what would cause breakage unless the shaft is damaged; it has never done that on my fine hair...ever.

YMMV :shrug:

MusicalSpoons
April 3rd, 2018, 04:24 PM
I dunno about it being a myth; it was suggested decades ago for having healthy hair.

The fact that it distributes the sebum = shine and less static has held true for me for 66 + years :flower:

As for the exact number of strokes.....for me 100 strokes is what I average when brushing my hair both inverted and hanging naturally based on my own length and texture.

I am unsure what would cause breakage unless the shaft is damaged; it has never done that on my fine hair...ever.

In my own experience, breakage has only happened if I've had a tiny tangle and tugged too hard, or gone too quickly causing a tangle to form (and then not stopping to pull it apart - naughty me *slaps own wrist* :shake:). I have heard other people say that BBBs cause breakage for them no matter what though, so I would be interested to hear when/how it happens.

I actually don't regularly BBB at the moment, but that's because it takes a long time for me, and I have to take my glasses off the get all the hair properly so I can't really do anything else at the same time. I also won't BBB unless it's just before a full wash, because although it does help to distribute the sebum somewhat, I'm still left a greasy mess on top regardless, which is then too much for a scalp wash to deal with.

It seems BBBing is truly no exception to the 'YMMV' rule!

ETA: I first started to see if it could enable me to stretch washes, but that failed spectacularly. However my scalp loves it (despite the seemingly increased oil production) which is why I still do it at all. When I do use the BBB, I try to do it some hours before a full wash to give the sebum the best chance of having any effect.

CuteCrow
April 3rd, 2018, 04:26 PM
It was like a kind of 'Grandmother tip' for me. It's supposed to give shine and make your hair grow faster but I haven't seen any scientific evidence of it?

I used it most of my teens, It only caused a big frizzy afro and a lot of breakage on me. But I still think it can work for straight hair, just maybe the 100 strokes is a little random.

Wendyp
April 3rd, 2018, 04:38 PM
If I were to do that with my wavy hair, I would not only fluff it all up but it would lead to breakage. I did brush with a nylon BB brush before and I found that yes it wasn't the best for my hair and that I lost a lot more than with the TT. So it was an easy choice for me.

I think that myth of a 100 strokes was done away with before on this forum. If I remember correctly. ;)

Myth that it promotes growth or that it’s good for your hair? Or both? Lol

Joyful Mystery
April 3rd, 2018, 04:38 PM
I really like my BBB. I use to brush with mine daily before I chopped my hair off and never had any issue with it causing damage. I make sure to always detangle with my comb first.
I stopped using it when my hair was short but now that my hair is getting longer, I've decided to pick it up again.

Wendyp
April 3rd, 2018, 04:40 PM

It’s the inversion thing that I’m interested in. supposed to help hair growth and health.

Wendyp
April 3rd, 2018, 04:44 PM
In my own experience, breakage has only happened if I've had a tiny tangle and tugged too hard, or gone too quickly causing a tangle to form (and then not stopping to pull it apart - naughty me *slaps own wrist* :shake:). I have heard other people say that BBBs cause breakage for them no matter what though, so I would be interested to hear when/how it happens.

I actually don't regularly BBB at the moment, but that's because it takes a long time for me, and I have to take my glasses off the get all the hair properly so I can't really do anything else at the same time. I also won't BBB unless it's just before a full wash, because although it does help to distribute the sebum somewhat, I'm still left a greasy mess on top regardless, which is then too much for a scalp wash to deal with.

ETA: I first started to see if it could enable me to stretch washes, but that failed spectacularly. However my scalp loves it (despite the seemingly increased oil production) which is why I still do it at all. When I do use the BBB, I try to do it some hours before a full wash to give the sebum the best chance of having any effect.

I tend to be oily so it worries me to do it because I think even my own oil causes shed. As with everything else it’s YMMV and you just have to try it out. :eye:

C_Bookworm
April 3rd, 2018, 04:45 PM
Per The Encyclopedia of Hair:A Cultural History (https://books.google.com/books?id=9Z6vCGbf66YC&lpg=PA386&dq=women's%20hair%20curls%20history&pg=PA386#v=onepage&q&f=false) by Victoria Sherrow, it may have been more of a preventative thing.

Victorian hairstyles for women aimed to create a sweet, feminine look as well as the appearance of an oval or round-shaped face. Hair was considered a primary aspect of a woman's appearance, and long, thick hair was admired. Girls and women spent time each day brushing and grooming their hair. Some historians think the idea of brushing a hundred strokes per day originated at this time, but the purpose of the brushing may have been to get rid of lice nits more than to improve the hair's appearance.

nycelle
April 3rd, 2018, 04:47 PM

When I was using brushes, my hair was also damaged from blow drying and playing around with drugstore bottle dyes. So brushing fried hair wasn't ideal.
Still, a lot of my hair is coarse, and it tends to be on the dry side. So even when I was using a large barrel brush on untreated hair for heat styling, it caused my hair to break. I don't know if it's the way I use brushes, or if my hair is prone to breaking from certain types of bristles or, what it is, but I've been using combs and picks for regular detangling for years now and it works for me.

I do have to wash my scalp very well when I shampoo though, because I feel that by not brushing, I'm missing out on loosening any debris that's built up on my scalp. But my scalp is healthy, no flakes, dandruff or irritation so I'm fine with no brushing.

lapushka
April 3rd, 2018, 04:50 PM
Myth that it promotes growth or that it’s good for your hair? Or both? Lol

Both. I'll see if I can locate the threads, hang on... Found one, from 2011:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=73871

Wendyp
April 3rd, 2018, 05:02 PM
Both. I'll see if I can locate the threads, hang on... Found one, from 2011:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=73871

Awesome thanks! I’ll read through.

Beeboo123
April 3rd, 2018, 05:15 PM
I hardly produce any sebum at all, my skin is really dry, so I have never bothered with this. It’s just going to fluff up my hair and turn me into Hagrid!

Wendyp
April 3rd, 2018, 05:27 PM
Awesome thanks! I’ll read through.

That was really helpful. Seems very much YMMV. I just did 5 strokes and got scared lol! I have a super soft bbb that I’m gonna try. Love how it feels though.

nycelle
April 3rd, 2018, 05:32 PM
That was really helpful. Seems very much YMMV. I just did 5 strokes and got scared lol! I have a super soft bbb that I’m gonna try. Love how it feels though.

I think if it doesn't hurt your hair, it's awesome for your scalp.

Wendyp
April 3rd, 2018, 05:50 PM

I’m afraid to do anything wrong tho, my hair is on the mend.

Larki
April 3rd, 2018, 06:24 PM
I use my BBB almost every night before bed, except on wash nights obviously, because my hair is still damp when I go to bed. I have three, a bamboo one with nylon bristles mixed in, a super soft blonde bristle one and a stiffer black bristle one. My favorite is the blonde one, I feel like every stroke makes my hair so happy. The stiffer black one feels great on my scalp, but I usually only do a few strokes on each side with it.

JadedByEntropy
April 3rd, 2018, 06:50 PM
my only concern is it could cause fallout like with CO washing, some people (myself included) see a lot of loss when too much scrubbing or scalp-massaging is involved

Rowdy
April 3rd, 2018, 07:27 PM
Personally I can't use a BBB. My coarse hair just can't stand up to the mechanical damage from it and my hair really doesn't tangle so it's not from that either. It's a shame because I did like the stimulation for my scalp and oil distribution. I tried for a bit just on the scalp hair but eventually I started seeing splits way up where I NEVER ever had them before and threw in the towel.

It seems to be very individual.

spidermom
April 3rd, 2018, 07:30 PM
I think BBBing causes breakage for me. I KNOW it causes my hair to develop a huge halo of fly-aways.

Reyesuela
April 3rd, 2018, 07:31 PM
It WAS a great way to distribute natural oils, clean the hair (the BBB was washed after), and prevent scalp sebum buildup.

With modern products, it’s a great way to have needless friction damage.

divinedobbie
April 3rd, 2018, 08:03 PM
I was just wondering, wouldn't lots of brushing with any kind of brush cause mechanical damage on the hair cuticle? I imagine you might not notice it right away and some hair types might not notice it at all but I would be worried that I'm roughing up the cuticle.

Reyesuela
April 3rd, 2018, 08:23 PM
I was just wondering, wouldn't lots of brushing with any kind of brush cause mechanical damage on the hair cuticle? I imagine you might not notice it right away and some hair types might not notice it at all but I would be worried that I'm roughing up the cuticle.

Of course it would. :). Back when all washing options were really alkaline, it was better than using soap, but that was long ago.

Interesting factoid: In China, people don’t use brushes at all!

divinedobbie
April 3rd, 2018, 08:26 PM
Of course it would. :). Back when all washing options were really alkaline, it was better than using soap, but that was long ago.

As in, they only use combs? Or they don't use brushes/combs at all and only finger detangle?

Dark40
April 3rd, 2018, 08:30 PM
I honestly don't believe in the 100 strokes a day with a BBB. If I did that with my thick hair I would loose a lot of hair rather than gain length. So, I only brush 5-10 strokes a day. That's what helps my hair to grow, and keep it in good health.

Reyesuela
April 3rd, 2018, 09:12 PM
Per The Encyclopedia of Hair:A Cultural History (https://books.google.com/books?id=9Z6vCGbf66YC&lpg=PA386&dq=women's%20hair%20curls%20history&pg=PA386#v=onepage&q&f=false) by Victoria Sherrow, it may have been more of a preventative thing.

That’s definitely not true. Brushes did nothing for lice. Turpentine was the usual like treatment.

Reyesuela
April 3rd, 2018, 09:14 PM
As in, they only use combs? Or they don't use brushes/combs at all and only finger detangle?

Combs only. My Mandarin tutor didn’t even recognize a hair brush!

TiffPhares
April 4th, 2018, 08:14 AM
I use my BBB twice a day in the AM and right before bed. I have naturally 3a curls, but brushing turns them into waves ala 1940's. I haven't seen any breakage in my hair, actually it's looked so much healthier since I started last year. The major thing I've found is to detangle your hair thoroughly before brushing. That said, I'm sure I don't do 100 strokes-I've never counted them...but I do give each section a few strokes.

Aredhel
April 4th, 2018, 08:21 AM

Truth. I'm half Chinese and growing up we only ever used combs. Hair brushes were pretty foreign to me until my teens, when my sister started using them, because they were more effective in her thick/coarse hair than combs.

Joyful Mystery
April 4th, 2018, 03:37 PM
Madora was always a big advocate of using a %100 pure boar bristle brush and has posted on several threads on how to use one properly and on the benefits she has experienced.

Here is a link to an older thread some may find interesting:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=61646

This is very much YMMV!

nycelle
April 4th, 2018, 03:56 PM
Madora was always a big advocate of using a %100 pure boar bristle brush and has posted on several threads on how to use one properly and on the benefits she has experienced.

This is very much YMMV!

I want to make an appointment at Madora Salon here (the original George Michael salon) for my next trim. Gonna ask them about the boar brush and 100 strokes method.

Wendyp
April 4th, 2018, 04:59 PM
I honestly don't believe in the 100 strokes a day with a BBB. If I did that with my thick hair I would loose a lot of hair rather than gain length. So, I only brush 5-10 strokes a day. That's what helps my hair to grow, and keep it in good health.

That’s all I have been able to do lol I’m rather terrified ..glad to know this will suffice!

Wendyp
April 4th, 2018, 05:00 PM
I want to make an appointment at Madora Salon here (the original George Michael salon) for my next trim. Gonna ask them about the boar brush and 100 strokes method.

Oh I went to the one in NY in like 91??? My hair felt like silk, and it smelled so good. Used to by the products too.

Wendyp
April 4th, 2018, 05:45 PM
:popcorn::popcorn:

This is very much YMMV!

Thanks for sharing this, it’s very interesting. I’m on page 10....:popcorn:

EliseMarie
April 4th, 2018, 07:53 PM
I use my BBB twice a day in the AM and right before bed. I have naturally 3a curls, but brushing turns them into waves ala 1940's. I haven't seen any breakage in my hair, actually it's looked so much healthier since I started last year. The major thing I've found is to detangle your hair thoroughly before brushing. That said, I'm sure I don't do 100 strokes-I've never counted them...but I do give each section a few strokes.

I just brushed my hair tonight and I got the same effect with the waves.....kinda like finger waves. Plus it feels soooooo good.

mira-chan
April 4th, 2018, 08:19 PM

Brushes generally don't reach my scalp. I have coarse hair which doesn't have much give. Between than and the waviness I can't get them to move/brush though my hair either most of the time.

I grew up only using combs, so brushing wasn't much of a thing. At this point I hardly even comb, but that's to prevent the Hagrid look. My hair doesn't really tangle for the same reasons I can't brush - coarse, stubborn hair.

Alissalocks
April 5th, 2018, 07:08 AM
Just the idea makes me shudder :shudder:... I remember hearing this old wives tale and following it for periods of time in my life only to wonder why I had so much damage, breakage and split ends.

For my hair, no brushing everrrrrrrr. It will destroy my hair, I've learned that the hard way. No matter how gentle, no matter the bristle type (boar, or nylon, or those wiry nubby things).

Also it causes static for me. But I live in an extremely low humidity environment.

floraflowerpowe
April 5th, 2018, 10:29 AM
It's just a big no for me having wavy hair. First brushing makes my hair puffy and looking frizzy, so I would only do it at night. But besides that I can't imagine the damage I'd do to my hair that many times. But I believe this 100 stroke brushing comes from a period that people didn't have the haircare things we have nowadays.

Wendyp
April 5th, 2018, 11:11 AM
It's just a big no for me having wavy hair. First brushing makes my hair puffy and looking frizzy, so I would only do it at night. But besides that I can't imagine the damage I'd do to my hair that many times. But I believe this 100 stroke brushing comes from a period that people didn't have the haircare things we have nowadays.

That’s a good point. I’m really intrigued by the idea of moving sebum down the shaft. I read through the gm thread and really learned a lot. It’s clear Curlies have a hard time with it. I don’t think I’ll ever do anywhere near 100 but will try to polish my hair and move sebum down with a really soft bbb. I won’t brush the damaged ends tho growing all of that out. We’ll see how it goes.

lapushka
April 5th, 2018, 04:15 PM

My thoughts almost exactly. I have waves too, I don't want my hair to totally fluff up. I finger detangle (separate the strands) during the week. And I only brush it out right before a wash, with the Tangle Teezer. After the wash I use a Wet Brush type brush. Then I style & scrunch.

Dark40
April 5th, 2018, 04:54 PM
That’s all I have been able to do lol I’m rather terrified ..glad to know this will suffice!

Yeah, I know whatcha mean. Awwww, don't let it terrify you....Yes, I'm also glad to know this will suffice too! Sometimes I'll brush 5-10 strokes twice a day. Especially, if I'm going out of something. Always like for my hair to look neat. :)