PDA

View Full Version : Ficcare alternative?

ShilvaA
April 3rd, 2018, 09:28 AM
I have seen a lot of lovely bun photos using these ficcare things... So I googled them so I could get one for myself and whoa! Are they expensive! Even pre-owned are still bloody extortion... like... £40+ (Or over $50 plus shipping!)

Are they really all that? Or is there an alternative that is a tad more ‘wallet-friendly’?

If there really is no other option then I may shell out for one but surely it is just a hair clip?

AmaryllisRed
April 3rd, 2018, 09:43 AM
There are definitely other options! I found something similar at Sally Beauty Supply (I'm in the US so depending where you are you might not have that?) for $7!
Search for "fakkare" or "beak clip" or "flamingo clip". I have one real ficcare and three similar style clips of other brands and love them all.

Aredhel
April 3rd, 2018, 09:54 AM
I'd say ficcares are worth it...... if you have the money to shell out for one. The quality and hold are incomparable for me. "Fakkares" are definitely an option though, I'm pretty sure there's a fakkare thread floating around in the Conventional Products & Hair Accessories board (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46) somewhere, where people periodically post links to some pretty decent looking fakkares that they come across online. I haven't tried any fakkares myself so I can't vouch for any of them, but apparently some are pretty decent. :)

lapushka
April 3rd, 2018, 09:59 AM
I'd say ficcares are worth it...... if you have the money to shell out for one. The quality and hold are incomparable for me. "Fakkares" are definitely an option though, I'm pretty sure there's a fakkare thread floating around in the Conventional Products & Hair Accessories board (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46) somewhere, where people periodically post links to some pretty decent looking fakkares that they come across online. I haven't tried any fakkares myself so I can't vouch for any of them, but apparently some are pretty decent. :)

Yep, especially if you have thick and long hair, they hold like no other, the spring is *solid* and really grasps without causing issues (like hair getting stuck in it, at least for me). Get the right size though, not everyone suits a L. I have thick hair and use all 3 sizes, S for half-up styles, the M for center held buns, and the L for things like a cinnabun for instance.

I hardly wear mine but I bought them when prices (on swap) weren't extortionate yet for the older models. I guess I was lucky that way. And no, I would never sell mine.

I have a few ficarrissimo's as well, and they are lovely pieces in the hair.

I think I might wear a few this week in fact!

spitfire511
April 3rd, 2018, 10:02 AM
Everything lapushka said. I think they're worth it as well and have had both. I namely have problems with the fake ones catching in my hair. I also found one on swap - ~ $40 I think, and feel it's been worth every penny - secure hold and no snagging.

Nini
April 3rd, 2018, 10:45 AM
I held back in the beginning thinking they couldn't possibly be all that. Then I watched them on Grey's Anatomy way back in season 1 or 2 I guess, fell for the look and had to try at least one.

They're really worth every cent! A few people haven't been able to make them work, but for me they're rock solid. Mine are probably about 8 to 10 years now and breaking down the cost in relation to all the use I've gotten out of them it's nothing. Even with shipping and handling to Europe. Of course they weren't quite as expensive back in the day, and I do currently own a few classics who could probably earn me a few dollars.

Groovy Granny
April 3rd, 2018, 10:53 AM
Nordstrom has them on sale at times.

In the UK there is this shop with similar items
https://tegenaccessories.co.uk/collections/beak-clips

Amazon has 'alligator', 'beak', 'concord' clips...as does Sally's and Claire's.

I only have a few Ficcares and a bunch of knock offs..... and I find that I grab the knockoffs and like them more :shrug:

Price is a factor for me as well; living on a retirement pension and being a 'frugal granny' I have no problem getting 'look-a-likes' if they function well :o

cjk
April 3rd, 2018, 11:19 AM
If you're a member, watch the RAOK thread. I saw a gold one offered, just the other day.