PDA

View Full Version : Do you coordinate your hairstyles with your outfits?

DanceInSunshine
April 2nd, 2018, 03:16 PM
I’ve searched the forum for this, and I haven’t seen a question quite like it. Do you feel like your hairstyle plays into your outfit choice, like an accessory? Phrased differently, Do you feel like certain hair styles work better for you when you wear certain styles of clothing? I do wholeheartedly!

I have a round face shape and soft features, so I feel like wearing my hair up makes me look younger, but wearing my hair down and loose makes me look prettier and more mature. I don’t know whether this is actually the case, but it’s how I feel! When I wear clothing that is modern, well put together, and mature, I have no problem wearing my hair up, because I feel like it brings balance.

When I wear more dated clothing, things that could make me look childish or potentially old-fashioned, I try to wear my hair down to bring a more modern, mature feel. For instance, I have an affinity for “granny skirts”: high-waisted, mid-calf length skirts in 90s floral patterns. When I wear these, I try to wear them with simple fitted tops, and I also try to wear my hair down and straight or in loose waves.

Do you try to match the feel of your hairstyles with the feel of your outfits?

Aredhel
April 2nd, 2018, 03:31 PM
Oh yes! Not just hairstyles, but hairtoys too, especially! My hair accessory ALWAYS matches my outfit.:lol:

Groovy Granny
April 2nd, 2018, 05:24 PM
Same here ~ I love matching hair toys to outfits , and I match earrings to both.
Some styles go with some outfits (BOHO etc); other times weather dictates the style (or hair condition).

spidermom
April 2nd, 2018, 05:27 PM
No, I don't think so. It's kind of hard to say, though. I'm not much of a planner.

nycelle
April 2nd, 2018, 05:51 PM
No.
But since I don't heat style these days, I put my hair up when I have to go into the office. I do it for a more professional look. My clothes are also conservative, so on those days, I guess hair and outfit match

MamaSwanky
April 2nd, 2018, 06:16 PM
I plan on a couple of ways. First is shirt material type. If it's going to catch every shed hair and make my ends grabby and rough, then my hair will be up. If the material is smooth and silky then I have the option to wear it down.

Second is the shirt itself. Is there detail on the back leaving my hair down would hide? Does my hair need to be down to accent a boring shirt front?

Not only do I plan my outfit, but yes, I plan my hair to match! 😂

arr
April 2nd, 2018, 08:10 PM
Im not into wearing visible hair accessories lately so in that sense I don’t worry about matching. I do find that the more elaborate or fancy my outfit is, the more simple I like to keep my hairstyle. The more simple my outfit, the more I’ll do something special with my hair. I really like the contrast, I think it makes for a more interesting unpredictable look.

cjk
April 2nd, 2018, 09:28 PM
Bun, twist, or loose curls...yes.

I don't yet have the range of hair toys I'd need to truly coordinate with my outfits. But I'm working on it and, yes, that is my intention.

spirals
April 2nd, 2018, 11:17 PM
If I had time I'd coordinate my style with the decade I was wearing that day (ranging from the late '20s to the early '40s). I think most often my hairstyle is Edwardian because that seems easiest for me.

Stray_mind
April 3rd, 2018, 03:37 AM
Not really... I don't even have a personal style tbh. I just throw on something that matches my mood. Same for hair.

hennalove
April 3rd, 2018, 09:49 AM
I'm very much a conservative dresser and my hair styles reflect that as do my hair toys so everything tends to match. I don't really make a distinction between up or down for hair dos with respect to what I'm wearing though. That's based more on the occasion and my general mood.

spitfire511
April 3rd, 2018, 10:10 AM
Not really... I don't even have a personal style tbh. I just throw on something that matches my mood. Same for hair.

:agree: this all the way.

I wear everything from ripped jean capris and a baseball-sleeve shirts to dresses to business wear on any given day - while I probably subconsciously keep the 'feel' of what I'm wearing the same (don't tend to wear ball caps with my nice dresses or etc) I don't really ever plan it out. Some days I feel like a buns and dangly earrings - some days it's down and I'm in slouchy pants. :)

Twig
April 4th, 2018, 06:14 PM
Yes, up if I'm wearing a button up shirt or a zipper that will catch my hair. I like matching accessories, too.

HaMalka
April 4th, 2018, 06:55 PM
I have a lot of different colors of hair sticks and will sometimes attempt to match them to my clothes on an everyday basis. For more formal occasions I make certain that my hair is coordinated with the rest of my. for a formal wedding where I wore an evening gown I wore my hair up in intricate braids. when I need to look particularly professional I wear a bun secured by you pins instead of a stick. I also have some spiffy hair accessories I'll build an outfit around. Whether I coordinate or not depends on how much effort I feel like putting into my appearance on any given day/event.

Ligeia Noire
April 4th, 2018, 07:42 PM
Oh yes. I have barretes or special lacy or flowers that I made to use with my buns. That is most of the fun of having long hair, at least for me, which is to play around with toys and hairdos to match your outfits and moods. I have a very strong personal style and my hair is certainly part of it. I always match my hair-sticks or ribbons to the colour of my clothes and when wearing something fancier I will make a poof with my face framing bits or, leave the tail out with waves, so many possibilities and my colleagues love to check what will I come up with next but most times it is just a braided bun with accents and they think I am a genius :p

Sarahlabyrinth
April 4th, 2018, 07:49 PM
Your hair is the genius, Ligeia :D It only needs the merest tweak from you and Voila! There 'tis!

I usually try and co-ordinate my hair toys with my clothes, yes. It's fun.

yahirwaO.o
April 4th, 2018, 07:52 PM
Well I always dress all black, black with denim and sometimes gray-brown and black (Basically all dark wardrobe) ;)

My outfits are fool proof and my hairstyle whatever I do looks just fine. However if i wear it up i play more with accessories (in my case a statement 70's black rocker choker is good to go)

However for professional future I will have to go boring with hair (means up and hate it) and no accessories still black is pretty lean and professional.

Ligeia Noire
April 4th, 2018, 09:11 PM
Your hair is the genius, Ligeia :D It only needs the merest tweak from you and Voila! There 'tis!

I usually try and co-ordinate my hair toys with my clothes, yes. It's fun.

Sarah you are too sweet :)

peachyleshy
April 8th, 2018, 07:44 PM
I do sometimes, but mostly I just wear my hair up. But if I do plan to wear it down I would want a specific outfit with it.... Doesn't always work out that way.

enting
April 8th, 2018, 07:49 PM
I don't know if I coordinate my hairstyle with my outfit or just my mood that day. It might be a combination of both: I might get dressed and then look in the mirror and realize I'm in the mood for a certain hairstyle to go along with the outfit. I don't think I usually think it out ahead of time the way I would coordinate different clothing items in an outfit, though.

hayheadsbird
April 9th, 2018, 11:50 AM
I'll match an acrylic stick or ficcare to my clothes, or.just go with a wooden stick or.fork depending on my mood and the colours Im wearing

MoonRabbit
April 9th, 2018, 11:53 AM
When I used heat I did. Now I have two options, Bun or down.

Beckstar
April 9th, 2018, 01:58 PM
l like my clothing neat and pressed and my hair bent and wurly. They never match. ;)

Lady Stardust
April 9th, 2018, 03:49 PM
l like my clothing neat and pressed and my hair bent and wurly. They never match. ;)

I like my clothing bent and wurly but my hair only does neat! It doesn’t match my personality, or my clothes.

gustavonut
April 9th, 2018, 04:12 PM
I have no style. So it’s bun, jeans, T-shirt, and sneakers for me. :disco:

njrb
April 12th, 2018, 06:13 PM
Sort of I guess. Not really my style. I do wear it in a bun if I am in a suit and tie for something formal. Normally I wear braids or ponytails most often and I do like to match hair tie color or barrette color with my shirt or tie or whatever.

cjk
April 12th, 2018, 07:47 PM
Tonight I made sure my French comb was black, to match the black jacket I wore to the funeral.

Not colors I typically wear.

So yes, I did coordinate my style and even my hairtoy.

Margarita
April 13th, 2018, 02:56 AM
Sometimes, yes. =) But i prefer to have my hair down.

MusicalSpoons
April 13th, 2018, 10:42 AM
I'll match an acrylic stick or ficcare to my clothes, or.just go with a wooden stick or.fork depending on my mood and the colours Im wearing

Substitute 'flexi-8' for 'ficcare' and this is exactly what I do too! So maybe: co-ordinated hairtoys, sometimes; co-ordinated hairstyles, not really. (Though I might put a bit more thought into the style for a more formal occasion, just like I'd put a bit more thought into my clothing for the same reason.)