PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite bun and why

bparnell75
April 2nd, 2018, 12:37 PM
My two favorite buns are Spock and Nessa. I wear these almost all the time.

The Reason I like a Spock bun is it makes my buns look larger, I can make it without worrying about hair catching on my wedding ring. It anchors at an angle so the toys do not rotate so much. with a Nautilus or LWB the horizontal stick rotates and often falls out.It works great with two and three prong forks which are my favorite tools/toys. I started making this one about waist length.

The Reason I like the Nessa bun is because it works well with slightly shorter sticks and they are inserted vertically which means they will not rotate and fall out. Even heavier toys work in this bun. This bun can be made anywhere on the head. I have worn it wet and used a slim two prong metal fork.

Now tell me your favorite bun and why it works for you. Please............

Aredhel
April 2nd, 2018, 12:58 PM
I almost exclusively wear a log roll... when I don't, it's a flipped bun. Log roll is great because I can wear it comfortable at every length, the weight of my hair is very well distributed through the length of the roll, and it holds almost all of my hairtoys (except for the large "statement" pieces;)) very firmly and comfortably. I like flipped buns because they hold like a rock - more so than a log roll - but they're not quite as comfortable as a log roll, for me. :)

Groovy Granny
April 2nd, 2018, 02:10 PM
My favorite bun is the LWB; I can secure it with any stick, fork, or clip in my collection.
It is the easiest for me to adjust the tension depending on the slip or curl volume that changes with the seasons/weather.

My second choice is the cinnamon bun; I love my using my fancier alligator clips or ficcares, bead topped spin pins, or small jeweled claw clips.

leayellena
April 3rd, 2018, 02:04 AM
I like flat buns, no matter if braided or not. I can tuck them in a beanie and it still looks pretty after I take off my beanie.
for summer I like fluffy buns too, like the nautilus, the lazy wrap bun or the cinnabun.

anine
April 3rd, 2018, 03:25 AM
My two favorite buns are Spock and Nessa. I wear these almost all the time.

The Reason I like a Spock bun is it makes my buns look larger, I can make it without worrying about hair catching on my wedding ring. It anchors at an angle so the toys do not rotate so much. with a Nautilus or LWB the horizontal stick rotates and often falls out.It works great with two and three prong forks which are my favorite tools/toys. I started making this one about waist length.

The Reason I like the Nessa bun is because it works well with slightly shorter sticks and they are inserted vertically which means they will not rotate and fall out. Even heavier toys work in this bun. This bun can be made anywhere on the head. I have worn it wet and used a slim two prong metal fork.

Now tell me your favorite bun and why it works for you. Please............

I just googled spock and nessa buns, and oh my they are beautiful :D Unfortunately my hair is very far from long enough to even dream of making those kind of buns, but do you know if there are a website with lots of tutorials to make beautiful buns? Just to get me inspired :o

bparnell75
April 3rd, 2018, 09:12 AM
I just googled spock and nessa buns, and oh my they are beautiful :D Unfortunately my hair is very far from long enough to even dream of making those kind of buns, but do you know if there are a website with lots of tutorials to make beautiful buns? Just to get me inspired :o

There are a few web sites but you will do better going to YouTube and finding a tutorial you like and then visiting that persons personal page, like this one:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM1QoYYnH_XwQCeWUQthsVA

but for shorter hair try Just looking for short hair updos on YouTube

AutobotsAttack
April 3rd, 2018, 09:58 AM
Nautilus Bun, or a braided LWB. Those two buns always stay put, and they’re the ones I first learned so I’ve gotten very used to them.

bparnell75
April 3rd, 2018, 10:39 AM
My favorite bun is the LWB; I can secure it with any stick, fork, or clip in my collection.
It is the easiest for me to adjust the tension depending on the slip or curl volume that changes with the seasons/weather.

My second choice is the cinnamon bun; I love my using my fancier alligator clips or ficcares, bead topped spin pins, or small jeweled claw clips.

I can do those too but for some reason I have an aversion to a round bun????? But you are right they will take any toy in any collection.

bparnell75
April 3rd, 2018, 10:40 AM
I almost exclusively wear a log roll... when I don't, it's a flipped bun. Log roll is great because I can wear it comfortable at every length, the weight of my hair is very well distributed through the length of the roll, and it holds almost all of my hairtoys (except for the large "statement" pieces;)) very firmly and comfortably. I like flipped buns because they hold like a rock - more so than a log roll - but they're not quite as comfortable as a log roll, for me. :)

I have a question. How do you secure a log roll with sticks? Would love to see a pic.

anine
April 3rd, 2018, 01:59 PM
There are a few web sites but you will do better going to YouTube and finding a tutorial you like and then visiting that persons personal page, like this one:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM1QoYYnH_XwQCeWUQthsVA

but for shorter hair try Just looking for short hair updos on YouTube

Thanks �� I Will try youtube -haden't realy thought og that ��

bparnell75
April 4th, 2018, 12:24 PM
Come on folks each of you must have a favorite bun...Tell us and tell why. Pretty please..

Aredhel
April 4th, 2018, 12:46 PM
I have a question. How do you secure a log roll with sticks? Would love to see a pic.

I shove the stick right through the top loop (the part that isn't wrapped). I'm actually wearing it this way right now, I will try and remember to take a picture tonight for ya. :)

prairie lark
April 4th, 2018, 05:16 PM
my spockbun, bparnell75 :heartbeat :o
I say "my" because so far it's different every time, but so solid and comfortable!

Today, with my first ever helix fork -- an olivewood Furnival I bought from Nightshade (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145679&p=3532048&viewfull=1#post3532048)

spidermom
April 4th, 2018, 05:29 PM
I used to love the Gibralter and the Spidermom bun that stays. Now I love any bun that doesn't fall out. Most do at this short length.

bparnell75
April 4th, 2018, 05:46 PM
I used to love the Gibralter and the Spidermom bun that stays. Now I love any bun that doesn't fall out. Most do at this short length.

The Spidermom's bun is a classic now and it holds so well. Have you tried a disc bun for your length?

Corvana
April 4th, 2018, 05:52 PM
Uuuuuuuuuuh I can only do a disc bun, so I can't really answer! I like it well enough, but I prefer the nautilus when I do halfups because it's easier, but I haven't tried that with all of my hair.

bparnell75
April 4th, 2018, 05:52 PM
my spockbun, bparnell75 :heartbeat :o
I say "my" because so far it's different every time, but so solid and comfortable!

Today, with my first ever helix fork -- an olivewood Furnival I bought from Nightshade (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145679&p=3532048&viewfull=1#post3532048)

Looks like you have a winner. Right bun and cool tool.

bparnell75
April 4th, 2018, 05:54 PM
Uuuuuuuuuuh I can only do a disc bun, so I can't really answer! I like it well enough, but I prefer the nautilus when I do halfups because it's easier, but I haven't tried that with all of my hair.

With more length you will be able to do lots more buns. Yeah for the disc bun that seems to save many.

spidermom
April 4th, 2018, 06:35 PM
The Spidermom's bun is a classic now and it holds so well. Have you tried a disc bun for your length?

No I have not.

Krissycats
April 4th, 2018, 07:28 PM
A LWB with a stick holds my hair all day long.

Ligeia Noire
April 4th, 2018, 07:36 PM
Definitely the Chinese braided bun, I wear it every single day and it is the only one that causes less damage and stays put for my hair. I can secure it with sticks or claws and it gives me the less tangles on the take down. I love it.

samanthaa
April 5th, 2018, 10:11 AM
Come on folks each of you must have a favorite bun...Tell us and tell why. Pretty please..

Is there a reason this is in the "New? Start Here" forum? That might be why there's not a lot of responses? I know I only stumbled on this accidentally!

Recently I've really been liking the double-wrapped LWB, because it and the stick/fork sit flatter against/closer to the head in profile. It doesn't have that weird slump thing going on that LWBs/Nautiluses get.

I will always love the seashell bun, except I do a variation where I wrap the very ends around the base. It holds better for me. If I'm feeling fancy, I like an accent dutch braid pinned around the bun. The whole thing also looks good braided.

I've always fallen into the laziness trap that is the cinnabun, because it's so dang easy and quick. I secure it with a tiny tiny claw clip. I do a braided cinna for running.

bparnell75
April 5th, 2018, 10:14 AM
Is there a reason this is in the "New? Start Here" forum? That might be why there's not a lot of responses? I know I only stumbled on this accidentally!

Recently I've really been liking the double-wrapped LWB, because it and the stick/fork sit flatter against/closer to the head in profile. It doesn't have that weird slump thing going on that LWBs/Nautiluses get.

I will always love the seashell bun, except I do a variation where I wrap the very ends around the base. It holds better for me. If I'm feeling fancy, I like an accent dutch braid pinned around the bun. The whole thing also looks good braided.

I've always fallen into the laziness trap that is the cinnabun, because it's so dang easy and quick. I secure it with a tiny tiny claw clip. I do a braided cinna for running.

Maybe your know a better way to start a thread. That was the only way I knew to do it. Help Please if there is a better way.

neko_kawaii
April 5th, 2018, 10:25 AM
Maybe your know a better way to start a thread. That was the only way I knew to do it. Help Please if there is a better way.

It was not a question of HOW to start a thread, but WHERE to start a thread. The New forum does not count toward post counts, and I know as a new user who was trying to reach the different posting milestones to gain access to blogs and what not, I avoided all sub forums that did not contribute to post count.

If you want this thread moved to Mane, let me know.

bparnell75
April 19th, 2018, 04:16 PM

So Aredhel. I am on the search for flipped buns that are not cinna buns. Can you help me?

bparnell75
April 19th, 2018, 04:17 PM
It was not a question of HOW to start a thread, but WHERE to start a thread. The New forum does not count toward post counts, and I know as a new user who was trying to reach the different posting milestones to gain access to blogs and what not, I avoided all sub forums that did not contribute to post count.

If you want this thread moved to Mane, let me know.

Yes please

MoonRabbit
April 19th, 2018, 06:51 PM
I usually wear the spock bun on the regular. If I want a bun that sits higher on my head to show off a toy, I will do a knot bun. For the past week I have been playing with the brioche bun, I tweaked it ever so slightly and I'm really enjoying it.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 19th, 2018, 10:09 PM
At the moment, it's the Celtic Knot Bun - because

https://i.imgur.com/C8daOHN.jpg

What's not to like about it? I love the way it holds well with a single stick and yet displays all my differing hair colours.

pailin
April 19th, 2018, 10:43 PM
For me lwb and more recently, nautilus are what work reliably for me and are my go-tos. I couldn't make a nautilus work until maybe 6 months ago, when it suddenly became easier than my trusty lwb. I think this was because of how I hold my hand, and three fingers for the first loop was getting a little small. With a nautilus it works now because now I can wrap it around my whole hand.
I'm also starting to really like Spidermom's bun, since my hair is getting long enough that double loop buns start to work well. It's also nice for using my larger toys without getting propeller-head.

leayellena
April 19th, 2018, 11:34 PM
yesterday I´ve made a nautilus with beak clip in 20 seconds. then I cooked dinner :P
my man can´t love me more for proving that I don´t spend too much time on my hair. he just heard women needing 2 hours to do their bra strap long hair

lapushka
April 20th, 2018, 06:21 AM
I keep doing a LWB (lazy wrap bun), because it is the only bun I can manage well at this length, with this thickness. I can't do a Nautilus at classic (which I'm nearing). So we'll see when I can do it. :)

A cinnabun is fine too, but it kind of is more "slippery" in my hair; while a LWB stays put all day, everyday.

MusicalSpoons
April 20th, 2018, 07:47 AM
An interesting topic! I have a few different favourites for different purposes:

Everyday buns:
2-cycle LWB because it's stable (the centre is less likely to fall out!) and it works with the majority of my hairtoys.
Neoma knot because it is the most stable style my hair has ever experienced! I can do it with as much or little tension on the scalp hair as I like, and it will stay - to the point where I can loosen it enough to wash the front half of my scalp. It's not so aesthetically pleasing though, so I prefer the 2-cycle LWB if I want to look a bit more polished.

For 4-pronged forks, LWB or Nautilus because they're simple and I like how they look.

For a bigger-looking bun:
Spock bun (though I'm still working on it - only had success once so far!)
L-wrapped-infinity (like an L-infinity, but wrapped rather than twisted)

For a small, contained bun (e.g. for wearing under a winter hat), a celtic knot secured with a flexi-8 on the side

And for the rare occasion I want something a bit fancier than any other style I wear, a braided cinnabun.

Alex Lou
April 20th, 2018, 08:54 AM
Gibraltar. I like that it's easy and does most of the staying on it's own. One spin pin and it's secure. No spin pin and it will stay for a few hours. As a bonus, it always looks elegant.

bparnell75
April 20th, 2018, 11:01 AM
I usually wear the spock bun on the regular. If I want a bun that sits higher on my head to show off a toy, I will do a knot bun. For the past week I have been playing with the brioche bun, I tweaked it ever so slightly and I'm really enjoying it.

I am going to have to revisit that one. This week I am into flip buns because they flatter my face and require no extra fixing. One curved fork and one spin pin!

bparnell75
April 20th, 2018, 11:04 AM
Musical spoons, is there a tutorial for a Neoma knot?

Frankenstein
April 20th, 2018, 11:08 AM
Probably LWB because it’s easiest, although it hasn’t been holding as well as it used to.

littlestarface
April 20th, 2018, 11:16 AM
Nautilus its my favorite cuz its easy and it holds really well with a stick and stays all day.

Reyn127
April 20th, 2018, 11:18 AM
I have a few go-to favorites.

I like the Gibraltar bun because it's very fasy, easy, looks pretty interesting in my hair, and will hold comfortably all day long.

I also really like the L-infinity bun. Another fast, easy, and fairly interesting one. I also like how easy it is to change the rotation as I make it, so I can anchor it either horizontally or vertically.

I also do the Nautilus quite a lot because it's super fast, and my hair will hold itself very solidly in it with no stick or anything. But I don't really like the way it looks on me, it just looks very basic.

MusicalSpoons
April 20th, 2018, 04:12 PM
Musical spoons, is there a tutorial for a Neoma knot?

I'm not sure; when I first learned it (before joining here) I had to search pretty hard to find the sole tutorial (annotated pictures) that was originally posted before this incarnation of the LHC. I'll try to have a look tomorrow to see if it is still out there!

ETA: a quick Google showed up this video (https://youtu.be/Y9W-qAKY_1I) by neko_kawaii, I don't know how I didn't find that before! A lot easier than the pictorial instructions I used.

The first paragraph of this post (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=44088&p=1007149&viewfull=1#post1007149) explains it quite well too.

Another reason I love it is that it can be in any orientation at all, so for scalp washing I'll do it horizontally at the nape of my neck, for everyday wear it's usually diagonal, and if I need a nap and I'm without my sleep cap, I'll do it vertically as I'm a side sleeper :o Or even horizontally in the middle of my head if I need a lie down but need to use my bun as a pillow! :grin:

lithostoic
April 20th, 2018, 04:26 PM
LWB, tight enough to be secure but not painful.

Tried a cinnabun today and heard the hairs snapping. Oops. Nautilus is getting too tight using 3 fingers, but 4 is not yet an option.

I haven't tried many buns. When I first joined I chopped to CBL and then a year later I injured my back. Very little experimenting for me!

PixieP
April 21st, 2018, 04:34 AM
For forks, spock bun is my fav! Looks elegant and makes my hair look fuller.
For sticks, disc bun, on my length now I get a nice big shape.
For a messy look, puffed not-ilus.
For everyday wear around the house, lwb or cinnabun.

Lots of styles I want to check out in this thread!

poli
April 21st, 2018, 11:40 AM
I prefer wrapped bunes so I like LWB, Spock bun, also fanned out roll bun that Nightshade was so kind too share here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=121960&page=2&p=2693528&viewfull=1#post2693528) and for braided bun Elling women bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=14032).

Edit: I like Elling women because it is sectioned and spreads weight well but easy to do at the same time.

Nightshade
April 22nd, 2018, 07:45 PM
I prefer wrapped bunes so I like LWB, Spock bun, also fanned out roll bun that Nightshade was so kind too share here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=121960&page=2&p=2693528&viewfull=1#post2693528) and for braided bun Elling women bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=14032).

Edit: I like Elling women because it is sectioned and spreads weight well but easy to do at the same time.

Hey! I've been looking for that post for ages with the tutorial! Thank you for posting it. Lately I've been doing it with a shorter fan that I don't pin down, but same steps :)

bparnell75
May 8th, 2018, 05:10 PM
My new favorite bun is the Pansy bun with the tutorial that Wildcat Diva made.

It has no butt sticking out, is more spread around the head than some buns. I can use my new me made ovals 5 inches total length.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW5TyU7F_-s

PixieP
May 8th, 2018, 05:19 PM
My new favorite bun is the Pansy bun with the tutorial that Wildcat Diva made.

It has no butt sticking out, is more spread around the head than some buns. I can use my new me made ovals 5 inches total length.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW5TyU7F_-s

I might need to watch it with sound as I don't quite see what she's doing that is different from an LWB/Nautilus, but I need to figure it out! Because I really don't like the "butt" as you so aptly named it XD This looks really soft and pretty!

Dark40
May 9th, 2018, 05:29 PM
My favorite buns are the, "chignon," and the bun where you put your hair in a ponytail, plait it, and then twist it around. What do you call that type of bun?

Zesty
May 9th, 2018, 06:35 PM
My favorite buns are the, "chignon," and the bun where you put your hair in a ponytail, plait it, and then twist it around. What do you call that type of bun?

It sounds like what I'd just call a braided bun? I don't start mine in a ponytail though.

My favorite bun for ease is the LWB, it's my choice for around the house and when I have limited time to get ready.

My favorite bun in terms of looks is a French braided side bun secured with spin pins. It's still easy and I know I can get it right on the first try, but I think it's a prettier/more flattering.

And my recent bun crush is double cinnamon buns/space buns, as I've said ad nauseam elsewhere. :o Because I just find them adorable.

Dark40
May 9th, 2018, 07:31 PM
It sounds like what I'd just call a braided bun? I don't start mine in a ponytail though.

My favorite bun for ease is the LWB, it's my choice for around the house and when I have limited time to get ready.

My favorite bun in terms of looks is a French braided side bun secured with spin pins. It's still easy and I know I can get it right on the first try, but I think it's a prettier/more flattering.

And my recent bun crush is double cinnamon buns/space buns, as I've said ad nauseam elsewhere. :o Because I just find them adorable.

Yes, I think that's what it is called. You don't start yours with a ponytail? Oh, ok. You really don't have to start it with a ponytail. You can just plait it, twist it around, and secure it with pins.

Oh yeah, I have heard a lot about the LWB. What does that stand for? I also love tghe cinnamon buns/space buns too. Oh yeah, I'm sure you have said it elsewhere on here.

Chiquita Banana
May 9th, 2018, 08:00 PM
My favorite bun of all is the LWB (lazy wrap bun). I can wear it with a fork or a stick and it holds like a rock. My other favorites are the spock bun (with a fork) and the disc bun (with a stick).

Glitch
May 9th, 2018, 08:10 PM
My favorite, though I can't do it yet, is the rope braid bun (https://i.ytimg.com/vi/4ThmFZ_pN5Q/maxresdefault.jpg). It looks so delicate and lovely - like a subtle rose :) Would love to master it!

On myself, I do LWBs all the time for short periods since they take me seconds to do. It's just really convenient so it's why it's a preference. Once I can do more complex ones, I think I'd be inclined to go the fancier route :laugh:

RedStripe
May 10th, 2018, 11:29 AM
Cinnabun is my most frequent go-to, and sometimes braided bun. But I also really like the Chinese bun.

WyntreBlossom
May 11th, 2018, 09:23 AM
Whats a good bun for semi-shorties?

cjk
May 11th, 2018, 12:35 PM
What sorts of buns can you manage? Start with that very basic question. Length provides options, but you have to be able to achieve the styles, too.

I prefer a French twist but a wrapped/cinnamon bun is just now possible for me. And securing with a stick provides me a very finished look.

prairie lark
May 11th, 2018, 01:37 PM

Autumn Elve's videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/TheAutumnElve/videos) were the first updos for shorter hair that clicked for me.

Guitargod
May 11th, 2018, 02:17 PM
The Nautilus has been my go to bun since I started using a hair stick.
Just learned the LWB after seeing a thread here today - it might become a new favorite.

Simsy
May 11th, 2018, 05:54 PM
I’m a fan of the nautilus, mainly because it will still hold with one stick for me; but I can also do it without checking now.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 11th, 2018, 05:58 PM
The Nautilus is my go-to bun when I just want my hair up and out of my mind. For fancier, I usually either do a double or triple wrapped Nautilus or a Celtic Knot bun. Sometimes a Spock bun.

bparnell75
June 2nd, 2018, 08:58 AM
I have been doing a lot with the Nessa bun....variations on where I put that last big loop before anchoring....to the side, on top or bottom.

bparnell75
January 1st, 2019, 05:46 PM

a disc bun

Stray_mind
January 2nd, 2019, 05:47 AM
LWB and Nautilus are my favorites.

ETA: They are easy to make and look big enough to create an ilusion of thick and fluffy hair :)

HaMalka
January 2nd, 2019, 06:30 AM
Braided LWB and braided cinnamon bun are my favorite buns.

AmaryllisRed
January 2nd, 2019, 10:15 AM
Elling woman or Chinese braided bun.
Unbraided buns don't always hold well in my super slippy hair.

Cg
January 2nd, 2019, 10:49 AM
I love the elegant French twist and true coronet braid. Both are eternal fails for me, so I applaud those whose hair will comply.

yahirwaO.o
January 2nd, 2019, 02:29 PM
I love french twists, nice sleek, timeless so easy for day old natural straight hair.

But my actual "favorite buns" (cause I really dislike my hair) would two middle parted twisted cinnamon buns low postion 90's style, mid position princess lea, higher position pucca style xD, they look young instead of mean bald librarian severe person(slicked back buns look awful on me), they distribute and leave a nice voluminous wave when you take it down and still look like i have actual long hair.

Also a low middle parted bun is nice, it was my first updo i mastered as a guy and still like it!!!! :D

Cinnamonagouti
January 2nd, 2019, 03:52 PM
Not that I know that many buns, but I actually have to say the LWB - I like the looks of it, plus it's very easy and comfy AND is one of the few buns that doesn't compact my hair but instead make the bun look large and fluffy. I also am very fond of the nautilus since it holds so well. Otherwise I love all kind of braided buns and updos.

Edit: almost forgot the celtic knot bun! Really like that one too.

Doreen
January 2nd, 2019, 04:13 PM
I like the look of a cinnabun the best on my hair, but I don't wear it as often because I can't get it to hold very well. The bun I do the most often is nautilus because it has decent hold and is very quick... I'm in a rut with it, to be honest. :-/ but I'm going to keep an eye on this thread and try out some of your favorite buns! I definitely want to expand my bun horizons for 2019.

clandestine
January 2nd, 2019, 08:09 PM
LWB right now it's the only "fancy" bun I can do and it works so well I haven't been too motivated to branch out.

languagenut
January 2nd, 2019, 09:55 PM
Lazy Wrap Bun, because I'm lazy :p. I twist the hair before wrapping it around; I don't even remember if that's normal or not but it makes it fairly compact, it's quick to do, and it stays put (usually).

I also like the Figure-8 bun, but it doesn't stay in place as well. There are some other buns I've done and liked the look of, but don't remember how to do them, so I just keep making LWBs. And occasionally Disk Buns if I need it to really really stay put, but those seem to be rougher on my ends for some reason.

Missymo
January 2nd, 2019, 11:48 PM
Lazy Bun Wrap at the moment. I've only just learnt how to do it but it only takes a couple of minutes create and secure with with chopstick and it seems to stay secure pretty well. So overall is perfect for wearing for the really hot days that are happening where I live.

SwanFeathers
January 3rd, 2019, 08:25 AM
Disk Bun: because it is stable and does not pull at my scalp. Also at waist i dont have the length to do many buns yet.

Sora Rose
January 3rd, 2019, 08:29 AM
Celtic knot bun is my go to. Looks nice and holds my hair better than any other bun I've tried (admittedly not many).

sophia_
January 3rd, 2019, 02:21 PM
I'm team nautilus, especially since I figured out how to get it to self-hold. It takes two seconds and can stay for hours with a stick/fork, and can stay for a little while when self-held.

Viola_sororia
January 14th, 2019, 03:22 PM
Cinnabun and orchid bun. Cinnabun because it's easy to do for every day and I can consistently get it to look good and get it to stay put all day. Orchid bun takes a little longer for me to get, but I've never had it slip out, and it looks liek a complicated knot.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 15th, 2019, 07:19 AM
At the moment it's a pretzel bun. It holds well, looks complicated but is very easy to do, and looks good every time.

lithostoic
January 15th, 2019, 04:11 PM
The only buns I can do on myself are the lwb, nautilus, and a random bun I made up. Nothing else holds or it is too tight. On other people I absolutely love knot buns, both regular and celtic variety! Also a big fan of the pansy bun.

Ophidian
January 15th, 2019, 09:18 PM
Team disc bun here, it really is a great one for shorter and/or thicker hair.

I like to lightly twist mine because it keeps the layers contained and looks nice and smooth. It holds great with a single stick, but my favorite is a disc held with my Over the Hawaiian Moon three-prong. With this combo, I can literally put it in one morning, sleep on it that night, and wear it all the next day without worrying about it if I’m feeling lazy.

Crystawni
January 15th, 2019, 10:25 PM
Celtic Knot. Balanced, comfortable containment and effortless hold of loads of lengthy, fine, slipmonstery hair.

Nineteenbirds
January 15th, 2019, 10:51 PM
My hair's just approaching bsl and it's pretty thick. My go-to right now is a disc bun - goes up easily, is very comfortable, and stays all day. I can't do most of these others, yet, but I have a lot of them bookmarked for the future. I'm thinking a figure eight is about 6 weeks away.

Astrid Carlisle
January 17th, 2019, 05:13 AM
i JUST tried the Disc bun for the first time! WOW, it's amazing!! Think it will be my go-to for the next few weeks. Holds so well and nice

Simsy
January 17th, 2019, 11:03 PM
Nautalis bun; I can throw it up in about 2.5 seconds, it will work on loose or braided; and it fits under a hat if I do it high enough. I also don’t get the large dreadlocs that I get from cinnibuns.

Olga-Freya
January 22nd, 2019, 08:39 PM
Braided pinless bun when I want to look neat, and braided nautilus when I need to get my braid out of my way quickly and dont care if it would looks nice or would it have tail sticking out of the middle of the bun (which tend to happen pretty often)

bparnell75
June 26th, 2020, 11:24 AM
I have a new favorite. I call it a Spock Wrap. Its a Spock bun without engaging the thumb. It holds with one stick which is my favorite hair toy. Stick is inserted into finger loop and pushed back through the base hair which was loosely wrapped around. It also does not engage my wedding band which grabs hair.

Finda
June 26th, 2020, 12:39 PM
It used to be the cinnamon bun because it was the first and for a long time the only bun that worked.
Since the LWB holds comfortably, I do it most of the time. It holds the entire day and looks good.

MusicalSpoons
June 26th, 2020, 01:28 PM
I have a new favorite. I call it a Spock Wrap. Its a Spock bun without engaging the thumb. It holds with one stick which is my favorite hair toy. Stick is inserted into finger loop and pushed back through the base hair which was loosely wrapped around. It also does not engage my wedding band which grabs hair.

That sounds very very similar to a bun I've repeatedly attempted on occasion, but I cannot remember at all which one. With a stick how many fingers do you use for the loop?

I was thinking about recent favourites and wondered what I'd written already (and when):

An interesting topic! I have a few different favourites for different purposes:

Everyday buns:
2-cycle LWB because it's stable (the centre is less likely to fall out!) and it works with the majority of my hairtoys.
Neoma knot because it is the most stable style my hair has ever experienced! I can do it with as much or little tension on the scalp hair as I like, and it will stay - to the point where I can loosen it enough to wash the front half of my scalp. It's not so aesthetically pleasing though, so I prefer the 2-cycle LWB if I want to look a bit more polished.

For 4-pronged forks, LWB or Nautilus because they're simple and I like how they look.

For a bigger-looking bun:
Spock bun (though I'm still working on it - only had success once so far!)
L-wrapped-infinity (like an L-infinity, but wrapped rather than twisted)

For a small, contained bun (e.g. for wearing under a winter hat), a celtic knot secured with a flexi-8 on the side

And for the rare occasion I want something a bit fancier than any other style I wear, a braided cinnabun.

Things have changed a little in 2 years :o

Everyday buns: LWB with 3 or 4-pronged fork, or Nessa bun with whatever just because they're quick, easy, and sturdy enough. I do still tend to use a Neoma Knot for scalp washing :D

Extra effort / switching it up / slightly fancy buns: Spock bun (I can reliably do it now!) and L-wrapped infinity, especially with a flexi-8 to fancy it up a bit; orchid bun because it's different and still very easy, anything braided (usually nautilus, LWB or cinnabun), double-wrapped/2-cycle LWB with a flexi

Fanciest / special occasion buns: cinnabun held with spin pins or flexi-8, helix bun because it's awesome

unheardletters
June 26th, 2020, 04:53 PM
My favorite bun is the LWB because it is the only bun I can do. Though it’ll be several years before I can do it again.

Hellebore
June 26th, 2020, 04:57 PM
My daily go-to is the KarenLynn knot bun. It works so well at my length.

Spock bun - it's a hit or miss on whether or not I can make it work, but when I do my bun looks huge!

Infinity buns - they hold so well I can even wear them when I work out.

Dark40
June 27th, 2020, 05:44 PM
This my all time favorite bun:

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_K6E1lD9lBCc/Rva_h90XEwI/AAAAAAAAAXs/CKfjo4yvxSg/S700/Elise+resized+para+Blog.jpg

It's my all time favorite bun because it's sooooo beautiful, romantic, and elegant!

Lorelai27
August 8th, 2022, 05:36 PM
This is a great thread! So I'm going to revive it. ☺️

My hair is currently about BSL, fine but a decent amount of it, and on the slippery side. I can do the cinnamon bun, disc bun and lazy wrap bun. I actually found that what wasn't working well for me with the cinnamon bun (I have a hard time getting that one to consistently hold without layers sticking out everywhere but when it works it's great), actually works quite well for a low LWB. As a bonus, it will stay without pulling too tight, and if it does come loose after awhile, it's super easy to put back in. My favorites for that bun is my Baerreis Finny (4" FPL) and my flat curved stick from Alpenlandkunst (about 5.5" total length). I'm especially happy to have figured out the flat curved stick, because it was pulling everything too tight whenever I tried it. I found a great tip buried in some gigantic thread regarding being able to just push 3+ prong forks through center held buns (I think) without going the opposite way,grabbing scalp hair and then going back through the bun (hope that makes sense), and when I tried that with the LWB, it started working without pulling super tight. Yay!

I can't wait I gain a little more length so I can do more buns! I'd love to achieve braided buns, so we'll see if I can handle it when it finally gets long enough to make those successful. I'm not sure if I want to go further than my waist yet. ☺️

Ada-banana
August 9th, 2022, 01:44 AM
The split bun, it stays on without having to wrap my ends around the bun. It's easy and holds like a rock. At first I thought I was making a hypnobun, but I must have changed things along the years.

tuanyiji
August 9th, 2022, 04:30 AM
My favorite is nautilus bun, my hair is long enough that I don’t even need a stick for it to stay secure for eight hours. It hides my length so well that no one would know my hair ends reach my butt. It stays anonymous and I like that no one comments on my hair or wants to touch it. It’s so solid but not too tight, in fact, my scalp won’t even feel a thing, I completely forget about the fact that I have a bun up there most of the time. Thus my hands stay away from my hair, and no contamination or friction. Benign ignorance is indeed the best way to keep my hair happy and healthy. I think every long hair should master a quick bun that you can do within a minute even when you’re not feeling yourself, just get the hair out of your face and carry on with every day matters.
I only add a U pin when I need to do my cardio workout. But it’s so anonymous you’d barely notice it.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1001725273378668557/1007855744793718804/IMG_9018.jpg

shelomit
August 9th, 2022, 05:03 AM
Orchid, I think. I find it's comfortable no matter what I'm doing, even if I'm sitting in the car or lying on my back, where buns usually push my head around uncomfortably.

lapis_lazuli
August 9th, 2022, 08:57 AM
Nessa. I like the asymmetry of the two sides and that it holds vertically. It's also comfortable to lie on.

knobbly
August 9th, 2022, 12:14 PM
I can never answer questions like this, they cause me anxiety! shudder:

Favorite is so subjective and situational! I couldn’t wear my hair the same way in all circumstances forever. :shocked: I have a favorite bun for wearing under a baseball cap (braided nautilus through the hole in back, held with my short quattro,) a favorite for under other sun hats (a trick answer because a crown braid is not a bun at all,) a favorite for sleeping if I can’t wear my satin hair bag (loosely braided from upside down cinnabun topknot held with spin pins) but all other situations are unique to me. I also like to try new things but if my scalp is tender then that’s the thing that will dictate what my hair is doing that day.

TiffPhares
August 13th, 2022, 07:51 PM
My favorites at my current length are Nautilus and Pha Buns. I like Nautilus because I can do it without a stick to hold it and it's stays all day.

I like Pha for when I need a dressier look. It resembles a French Twist but holds better in my hair.

Taliesyn
August 14th, 2022, 04:57 AM
I'm only just learning new bun styles thanks to the amazing LHC Hairstyle Thesaurus thread! :cheer:
For the longest time I would do an instinctive bun which I now know is pretty much the Bee Butt Bun.
At the moment my favorite bun is the Celtic Knot bun, I like the look and it secures very nicely and adds more volume to my bun. I'm still mastering it though.

bparnell75
August 14th, 2022, 12:07 PM
For the Spock wrap I still use only two fingers Just like starting a regular Spock bun. then go around the first wrap without using the thumb then I anchor through the first wrap out and over the part wrapped around the base.. like this
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51355294471_f82c960879_k.jpg

JasminxCat
August 14th, 2022, 12:11 PM
Lol what's that bun called where you twist, twist, twist, then spin it around in a circle and tie it off? That's what I normally wear to keep it out of the way. Not the prettiest, but it works. I prefer a messy bun held with spin pins but even that is too much work for convenience

Shug
August 14th, 2022, 06:56 PM
Ever since I discovered the LWB it has been life changing and my go to style, right on top of my head held by a stick. I’ve tried learning other buns but my hair is so thick that I get overwhelmed.

bparnell75
August 20th, 2022, 10:59 AM
My new bun is the split bun done over a donut.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52227494083_96537b2ec2_w.jpg

lapis_lazuli
August 20th, 2022, 12:17 PM
Nessa. I like the asymmetry of the two sides and that it holds vertically. It's also comfortable to lie on.

I have to add that it's secure enough to survive full speed on a jet ski. Didn't come loose even a little :thumbsup:

lapushka
August 20th, 2022, 02:28 PM
Used to be the LWB (lazy wrap bun), but it is still for sure and for real the nautilus bun. Quick and easy, done in 15 seconds. I mean, you can't do hair any quicker if it was short!

ReiHino
August 21st, 2022, 01:48 PM
Lol what's that bun called where you twist, twist, twist, then spin it around in a circle and tie it off? That's what I normally wear to keep it out of the way. Not the prettiest, but it works. I prefer a messy bun held with spin pins but even that is too much work for convenience

Cinnamon? That´s my to go when I need to keep wet hair out of the way (I use sticks or let it be tho).

My favourite may be the nautilus, it´s not very sturdy but I can do it fast and in case re-do it.

mermaid lullaby
August 21st, 2022, 02:24 PM
I haven't done any buns other than the cinnamon bun with flexi to hold it in place.

bluejaysierra
August 29th, 2022, 04:59 PM
My favorite bun recently is the Japanese bun! My hair is so heavy, yet it holds so well. Even when my hair is super slippery! I love that I can dress it up by adding braid accents too and it only uses 3-4 pins :)

lapushka
August 30th, 2022, 06:57 AM
Don't think I ever heard of the Japanese bun. Do you have some instructions? :)

paulownia
August 30th, 2022, 09:57 AM
If I put my hair up in a bun - which happens very rarely - its messy bun.
Basically don't have length or thickness for anything else;)

Ylva
August 30th, 2022, 10:53 AM
The lazy-wrap bun because I have forgotten how to make anything else so I don't really have any choice in this. :D

MsElizaRose
August 30th, 2022, 11:04 AM
Nautilus, because I am useless at buns and failed soooo many times with it that it felt like a huge achievement when I finally succeeded!

Alexandrina
August 30th, 2022, 03:10 PM
The lazy-wrap bun because I have forgotten how to make anything else so I don't really have any choice in this. :D

Oh no! But there's so many

SandyBottom
August 31st, 2022, 12:45 AM
Sticky bun! They taste so good! lol

bluejaysierra
August 31st, 2022, 02:18 PM
Don't think I ever heard of the Japanese bun. Do you have some instructions? :)

Long Hair Carolyn did a video on it a couple years back for her LHC style challenge series! https://youtu.be/vz204ufQpsE

tuanyiji
October 21st, 2022, 12:35 AM
My favorite is nautilus bun, my hair is long enough that I don’t even need a stick for it to stay secure for eight hours. It hides my length so well that no one would know my hair ends reach my butt. It stays anonymous and I like that no one comments on my hair or wants to touch it. It’s so solid but not too tight, in fact, my scalp won’t even feel a thing, I completely forget about the fact that I have a bun up there most of the time. Thus my hands stay away from my hair, and no contamination or friction. Benign ignorance is indeed the best way to keep my hair happy and healthy. I think every long hair should master a quick bun that you can do within a minute even when you’re not feeling yourself, just get the hair out of your face and carry on with every day matters.
I only add a U pin when I need to do my cardio workout. But it’s so anonymous you’d barely notice it.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1001725273378668557/1007855744793718804/IMG_9018.jpg

How my mind has changed, now my favorite bun is lazy wrap bun!
I had been wearing the nautilus bun from June to August because it can stand on its own without a stick, but once I mastered lwb in September it was unstoppable to experiment with new variations. I now wear lwb almost every day, and I think it’s easier than the nautilus, I love that I can skip the final pull over motion because my ring sometimes gets caught by the strand, something I try to avoid. It’s like a no-brained.
Yesterday I tried the artemis bun, which is basically a good old nautilus bun turning 180-degree clockwise and sticking the hairpin vertically, it was nice and stable and has a pretty shape, but as time went back, I could feel the hairpin going clockwise as well, lol, as if it was the hour hand of the click, by night finally fell off my hair. Hilarious :)
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1001725273378668557/1032906392220225606/IMG_1845.png
Higher definition close-ups on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cj64Iy_Lx-c/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I don’t know, maybe in two months I will have a new favorite bun as my hair grow longer.

GoatLady
October 22nd, 2022, 02:03 PM
Today my favorite is the log roll, because it's one of the few I've had success with. My hair just isn't long enough to do many of the popular buns. I try... but my hair refuses to stay put.

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/5833a5_06059b2cbc6c4bf281c5b867c617f3f4~mv2.jpg

lapushka
October 22nd, 2022, 02:25 PM
Today my favorite is the log roll, because it's one of the few I've had success with. My hair just isn't long enough to do many of the popular buns. I try... but my hair refuses to stay put.

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/5833a5_06059b2cbc6c4bf281c5b867c617f3f4~mv2.jpg

I wore that a lot until I hit a good enough length to do regular buns with; used a claw clip with it.

GoatLady
October 22nd, 2022, 03:50 PM
I wore that a lot until I hit a good enough length to do regular buns with; used a claw clip with it.

It's staying up really well. I'm impressed.

Lesley8
October 23rd, 2022, 03:41 PM
My favourite is the nautilus bun with a scrunchie, comfortable and easy.

maborosi
October 23rd, 2022, 06:34 PM
LWB because it's very fast and I'm very lazy, so it works out great for me.
I swear I wear my hair in that more than pretty much any other hairstyle, haha.

sipnsun
October 28th, 2022, 12:34 PM
LWB because it's very fast and I'm very lazy, so it works out great for me.
I swear I wear my hair in that more than pretty much any other hairstyle, haha.

I was going to say the exact same thing, LWB for the win because I'm lazy and it's quick and comfy all-day!

vampyyri
October 28th, 2022, 12:58 PM
Nautilus, I can still do one at my current length and it's basically the only bun I wear :D

I need to try and figure out the LWB, it seems to be the crowd favorite :hmm:

ETA: I watched the hairstyle of the month video and figured it out! It's basically just a nautilus without the pulling of the outer loop of hair, it doesn't feel as tight which is kind of nice!

embee
October 29th, 2022, 06:48 AM
I have two go-to buns: Orchid and TopKnot "inside out" bun

bparnell75
January 3rd, 2023, 11:54 AM
Since we had the split donut bun, this has been my favorite for going out. I do not use a
donut unless it is the one I made from my own hair. But around the house i still so a spock wrap
which is a
Spock bun without the thumb wrap.

Braided Lady
January 3rd, 2023, 12:15 PM
Currently love the seashell bun. It isn't as firmly set as I would like, and I'm still trying out new buns, so I fully expect to find at least one more favorite by the end of the year. But right now, I love the seashell bun for its beautiful spiral, and it's very easy to put up.

Mariekeeee14
January 3rd, 2023, 12:51 PM
When it was shorter, a twisted spidermom bun. Then a lwb. Now it is a nautilus :shrug: I guess I learned how to do it better as well. I never got the hype, now I do xD What all these buns have in common, is that they don’t require me to grab scalp hair, and yet they hold. No headaches most of the time

WednesdayAddams
January 3rd, 2023, 02:33 PM
Keep in mind that my hair is still short. But I like to do sort of a "straight" version of a cinnamon bun. Maybe I'm not stating that correctly but what I do is I do the initial twist, then I just wrap it around and around the base (not super-tight but not loosely either) and then scrunchee it with a plain scrunchee, usually black, like ballerinas wear.

The difference between that and a cinnamon bun is that I'm not twisting the length before wrapping it. And the reason I do it this way is that with the thinness of my hair, if I twist and then wrap, it comes out curly/frizzy instead of smooth after I take it down. By just wrapping without twisting, I get looser waves.

GoatLady
January 3rd, 2023, 04:24 PM
The Cinnabun. It's tried and true. No surprises. Stays rock solid.

lapushka
January 3rd, 2023, 05:43 PM
Log roll & peacock twist are my staples right now. Not "quite" bun-worthy, but hey, it works. :)

Fiorentina
January 4th, 2023, 12:31 AM
My favorite bun is the LWB and I prefer wearing it with a 3 prong fork or sometimes a stick but it hold better in place with a fork.

LadyLongLocks
February 4th, 2023, 11:19 AM
:heartbeatPretzel Bun.:heartbeat I created it in 2005 and secure it with 2 claw clips. Its good for after washing as you don't need to twist your hair and hair tie is optional.
I wear this bun 90% of the time. Its fast to do and comfy for hours! I like to leave it full and fluffy like the photo.This bun is the reason I joined youtube and did tutorials ;)
My version of the PRETZEL BUN can be seen here: PRETZEL BUN (https://www.jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/files/STEP_BY_STEP/p2_Fluff_Pretzel_MED_w_txt.jpg):heartbeat

reginaruby
February 4th, 2023, 05:15 PM
My favorite is the Celtic knot bun because it looks cool, it’s quick and easy once I got the hang of it, and it stays put even when I’m running after my students. I still do a Gibraltar-ish bun for my farm job because it doesn’t have any fork/stick poking out of it, which might get caught on tree branches or something.

Stray_mind
February 8th, 2023, 06:16 AM
LWB for me, because it makes it seem like i have thicker hair than i really do and is super east to do.

aeryss
March 23rd, 2023, 11:01 AM
Now that I'm able to do one again: the LWB, always was, always will be. I really missed it, it just looks so good and is so easy to do.

lapushka
March 23rd, 2023, 11:20 AM
No more buns for me (when I do them, I get breakage). Loose peacock twist, with a claw is it nowadays.

Nefcerka
August 6th, 2023, 02:22 AM
I can´t pick just one favorite bun. I love all these: Chameleon, Nautilus, Milady´s, Tatsilus, Spock, Pretzel (by Organically Anna), Lapis Lazuli´s bun, Log roll (by Sarahlabyrinth) and center-held braided bun. As to why - they are all pretty, easy and quick to do and hold all day for me.

baanoo
August 6th, 2023, 05:25 AM
I don’t have a favorite; it changes all the time. I’ve been wearing Lapis’ nameless bun, braided cinnabuns, nautilus/nautilus variations, chameleon, and brioche most of the time lately.

Keep in mind that my hair is still short. But I like to do sort of a "straight" version of a cinnamon bun. Maybe I'm not stating that correctly but what I do is I do the initial twist, then I just wrap it around and around the base (not super-tight but not loosely either) and then scrunchee it with a plain scrunchee, usually black, like ballerinas wear.

The difference between that and a cinnamon bun is that I'm not twisting the length before wrapping it. And the reason I do it this way is that with the thinness of my hair, if I twist and then wrap, it comes out curly/frizzy instead of smooth after I take it down. By just wrapping without twisting, I get looser waves.

I used to do a version of that as a topknot - it would hold with one 1” claw clip if I positioned it right!

cadaverinna
August 7th, 2023, 01:31 AM
I haven't had many adventures in day-to-day buns, only w fancy hairstyling course-type stuff. For the practical stuff I've tried the quick nameless kind, the nautilus, the cinnamon/cinnabun, and the spock.

My favourite of these few ones is the nautilus, but only when my hair is very long. It's thick, so it has to be longer anyway, but I feel I get breakage when it's tight, so I'll make do w a looser one that I might have to redo 2-3x throughout the day.

Für immer
August 8th, 2023, 03:45 PM
Nautilus, because I'm lazy and that one takes no time at all to do. :o

fairy_hair
August 10th, 2023, 03:01 PM
Loose cinnamon bun held with a claw clip. So easy and comfy. When it gets longer, use 2 claw clips. Or 4 small ones. If I knew how to do this bun when my hair was thigh length, I don't think I would have cut it! Gives it a loose wave, takes seconds to put up, doesn't pull anywhere. Cute clips are a bonus!