PDA

View Full Version : Strand Thickness?

Wendyp
March 31st, 2018, 09:44 AM
Ok so i read a post about looking at a strand of hair, and comparing to a thread. So this one shed out today and i laid it on my steering wheel. I can feel it good when i roll it in my fingers. I always thought i had fine hair, so now im not sure? what yall think?https://i.imgur.com/moO8BWk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SBe6aHe.jpg

*Wednesday*
March 31st, 2018, 11:25 AM
I have fine hair. When I place between my fingers, I can't feel it. Feels like nothing is there 😢 you can barely see it.

Wendyp
March 31st, 2018, 11:36 AM
I have fine hair. When I place between my fingers, I can't feel it. Feels like nothing is there �� you can barely see it.

I can feel mine with no problem but it’s not as thick as a piece of sewing thread, so does that make it fine?

*Wednesday*
March 31st, 2018, 11:40 AM
I can feel mine with no problem but it’s not as thick as a piece of sewing thread, so does that make it fine?

I think hair can vary in degrees of thickness. Are you sure that's not a random thick piece of hair? Sometimes you may shed a thick piece of hair but your hair may be primarily fine. I was told that if you can't feel your hair between your fingers that your hair is fine. It will also break very easily compared to thick hair. Personally I like thick hair it lays better and it's stronger.

Arctic
March 31st, 2018, 11:43 AM
The sewing thread test is problematic. It not a WHOLE sewing thread you are supposed to compare to, but one PLY of a thread. But threads come in different number of plys, and it's impossible to tell if one ply of your sewing thread is the same as one ply of my sewing thread. In any case, comparing to a WHOLE sewing thread (all plys together) just gives a very erroneous idea about hair strand thicknesses.

This one hair you have photo of is not fine. How ever it's impossible to tell if it's M or C. But it's not rare to see members who have tought they are fineys to find out (with proper hair analysis) that they are coarsies. Many people also have a mixture of types.

Wendyp
March 31st, 2018, 12:11 PM
I think hair can vary in degrees of thickness. Are you sure that's not a random thick piece of hair? Sometimes you may shed a thick piece of hair but your hair may be primarily fine. I was told that if you can't feel your hair between your fingers that your hair is fine. It will also break very easily compared to thick hair. Personally I like thick hair it lays better and it's stronger.

No this is normal hair, they all feel the same way except directly around my face those a finer. My hair is damaged from coloring, wrong routine and bad water, but it’s like 3.5 inches at the base of my pony tail before all the damage.

Wendyp
March 31st, 2018, 12:13 PM
The sewing thread test is problematic. It not a WHOLE sewing thread you are supposed to compare to, but one PLY of a thread. But threads come in different number of plys, and it's impossible to tell if one ply of your sewing thread is the same as one ply of my sewing thread. In any case, comparing to a WHOLE sewing thread (all plys together) just gives a very erroneous idea about hair strand thicknesses.

This one hair you have photo of is not fine. How ever it's impossible to tell if it's M or C. But it's not rare to see members who have tought they are fineys to find out (with proper hair analysis) that they are coarsies. Many people also have a mixture of types.

Yeah I’m really shocked ..from reading on here I’m starting to think I’m more M and just very damaged. But I’m in the right path now. Thanks for clarifying that I have been comparing to regular sewing thread with I don’t think is one ply.

Lady Stardust
March 31st, 2018, 12:53 PM

Interesting...that’s why I’ve found the sewing thread analogy confusing then. I guess one strand of embroidery thread would count as 1 ply? I don’t know if embroidery thread is standardised, but I have a lot of it so it would be handy :-)

Sorry to hijack Wendyp.

Wendyp
March 31st, 2018, 01:04 PM
Interesting...that’s why I’ve found the sewing thread analogy confusing then. I guess one strand of embroidery thread would count as 1 ply? I don’t know if embroidery thread is standardised, but I have a lot of it so it would be handy :-)

Sorry to hijack Wendyp.
No I’m glad others are chiming in! It helps to clear up any confusion.

lapushka
March 31st, 2018, 01:05 PM
If you can feel it, and from what I can tell, I'd call it normal thickness, medium.

Wendyp
March 31st, 2018, 01:44 PM
If you can feel it, and from what I can tell, I'd call it normal thickness, medium.

Yeah I can feel any single strand with no problem. Some are kind of coarse feeling really. This is very shocking really:eek:

Stray_mind
March 31st, 2018, 01:47 PM
I am a finey and i can not feel my hair strand when i place it between my fingers. I can barely feel it when i roll it too. When i place it on my palm i can barely see it, even though it is died black.

My single hair would probably be twice as thin compared to the one in your picture. :)

Your hair looks more on a normal thickness side.

Beeboo123
March 31st, 2018, 01:54 PM
Nah that’s at least medium. I’m a mixture of fine and medium, and my fine hairs would be practically invisible if I took a photo like that

Wendyp
March 31st, 2018, 02:05 PM
So surprising though, hairdressers have always told me I have fine hair, but that I had a lot of hair. but I have been reading here and I was thinking the same thing. What I think I have is poker straight medium hair with medium amount and with a lot of damage. I know from learning on here most hairdressers really don’t know much about hair truly, sadly. I guess the industry is designed for hair cuts not growth.

Wendyp
March 31st, 2018, 02:07 PM
I am a finey and i can not feel my hair strand when i place it between my fingers. I can barely feel it when i roll it too. When i place it on my palm i can barely see it, even though it is died black.

My single hair would probably be twice as thin compared to the one in your picture. :)

Your hair looks more on a normal thickness side.

Nah that’s at least medium. I’m a mixture of fine and medium, and my fine hairs would be practically invisible if I took a photo like that

My hair is very light blonde too almost white, but I can always feel and see a single strand, so yes I thinking I’m medium and medium thickness. I’m totally shocked right now.

Dendra
March 31st, 2018, 02:24 PM
Arctic thank you so much for clearing up the sewing thread thing, I finally understand now.

Also, with medium and coarse hair strands are you supposed to be able to feel them between your fingers even when you're not rolling them? As in you just place a hair strand between your thumb and finger and see if you can feel it without moving it?

lapushka
March 31st, 2018, 02:30 PM
Yeah, my white hairs I can't even locate, especially not in the sink. And my other hairs I can barely feel between my fingers. In the other direction, sure, but not side to side, rolling it between fingers. My hair is going from F to baby F as I turn gray/white.

Lady Stardust
March 31st, 2018, 02:32 PM
So surprising though, hairdressers have always told me I have fine hair, but that I had a lot of hair. but I have been reading here and I was thinking the same thing. What I think I have is poker straight medium hair with medium amount and with a lot of damage. I know from learning on here most hairdressers really don’t know much about hair truly, sadly. I guess the industry is designed for hair cuts not growth.

I’ve always been told the same thing, fine hair but lots of it. I think I’ve got a mixture of fine and medium, with a few coarse (grey) hairs. Some of my hair is definitely fine, but not all, and I’m starting to think that most of it is medium.

wannabe-rusalka
March 31st, 2018, 02:39 PM
My blonde hairs are pretty much invisible when I shed and I cant’t really feel them. Just by looking at your hair I can kinda tell its not fine.

Dendra
March 31st, 2018, 03:02 PM
Yeah, my white hairs I can't even locate, especially not in the sink. And my other hairs I can barely feel between my fingers. In the other direction, sure, but not side to side, rolling it between fingers. My hair is going from F to baby F as I turn gray/white.

Very interesting...I can definitely feel my hairs when I roll them between my fingers. And I can see them against any coloured background. Maybe I am more of a F/M as I used to have myself listed.

lithostoic
March 31st, 2018, 06:20 PM
Medium :) This is what mine looks like.

Wendyp
March 31st, 2018, 06:29 PM
Arctic thank you so much for clearing up the sewing thread thing, I finally understand now.

Also, with medium and coarse hair strands are you supposed to be able to feel them between your fingers even when you're not rolling them? As in you just place a hair strand between your thumb and finger and see if you can feel it without moving it?

I just tried a couple of strands and i can feel them just holding them, all over my head.

Wendyp
March 31st, 2018, 06:30 PM

wow my hair is going in the other direction, i think some actually feel coarse. And I have no idea what that means for my hair care routine:rolleyes:

Wendyp
March 31st, 2018, 06:32 PM
Well thanks everyone, im officially changing my type to medium! so much for listening to any thing a hairdresser says:rolleyes:

Crystawni
March 31st, 2018, 07:06 PM
This has been interesting, Wendy. I'd taken a pic of my hair one day when looking for splits and noticed the reflected light/shine makes some of mine look fatter.

https://i.imgur.com/q4WbfJZ.jpg

But on closer inspection (crop of my little finger)...

https://i.imgur.com/KQUcW8B.jpg

Mine can be so fine they look like splits until I find they're two or three strands having a party. Thus my need to take pics sometimes for the clarity of zoomage... And as you can see, my strands are thinner than the grooves in my skin (and even they don't show unless I'm a bit dehydrated, the light is right, or zoomeration).

Wendyp
March 31st, 2018, 08:06 PM
This has been interesting, Wendy. I'd taken a pic of my hair one day when looking for splits and noticed the reflected light/shine makes some of mine look fatter.

https://i.imgur.com/q4WbfJZ.jpg

But on closer inspection (crop of my little finger)...

https://i.imgur.com/KQUcW8B.jpg

Mine can be so fine they look like splits until I find they're two or three strands having a party. Thus my need to take pics sometimes for the clarity of zoomage... And as you can see, my strands are thinner than the grooves in my skin (and even they don't show unless I'm a bit dehydrated, the light is right, or zoomeration).

wow! that is alot different than my hair, im just sitting normal distance from the steering wheel when i took that pic today. Blows my mind that i have been told my hair is fine all my life. Thank god for LHC! I think the fine/medium thing can be a bit confusing. thanks to everyone chiming in on this one.

Crystawni
March 31st, 2018, 08:45 PM
Hehehe. I know how it is. I sometimes dither over whether mine are mediums (especially as they shine a lot, so distort the size) and if it's just my eyesight that's bad (which it has been since birth, but getting worse as aging kicks in). I can't even see half the sheds I've "invisibly" wrapped around my hand and slapped on the shower wall, so have to feel for them to remove them.

But then the camera shots show even more hairs hiding in there... Maaaaaan. I'd also been told by hairdressers I had lots of fine hair, but with my head being on the larger side of things as well, there really is A LOT of hair strands (11cm or 4 3/8" pony circ.). I just hope my silvers come in more on the thicker side like some have so I can look after them properly (without having to use a magnifying device of some kind, anyway)!

Reyesuela
March 31st, 2018, 08:49 PM
I was so confused why people were saying that was medium...until I realized that wasn’t the outside of the steering wheel but the middle part, so the hair was like 5x thicker than I’d been thinking! Lol.

Yep, medium. I used to be 100% fine, but I’m getting more and more medium hair now.

*Wednesday*
April 1st, 2018, 10:08 AM
Yep, medium. I used to be 100% fine, but I’m getting more and more medium hair now.

I don't want to misinterpret. Your hair used to be fine strands and is transitioning into medium strands of hair?

lapushka
April 1st, 2018, 11:06 AM
I don't want to misinterpret. Your hair used to be fine strands and is transitioning into medium strands of hair?

Yes that's what I thought. I thought that was near to impossible. :?: Unless with treatments like henna and such, or when you go gray. For instance I am going gray now and those hairs are a little finer than my regular F hairs.

Beeboo123
April 1st, 2018, 03:09 PM
Yes that's what I thought. I thought that was near to impossible. :?: Unless with treatments like henna and such, or when you go gray. For instance I am going gray now and those hairs are a little finer than my regular F hairs.

It's possible if you're on treatment for hormone related hair loss. The hair follicle shrinks and the hair growth cycle becomes shorter during such hair loss, which causes the hair to become finer while it is being lost. Treatment when successful lets the hair follicle go back to normal (or something that approximates normal), so the hair gets coarser again. The same thing happened to my mom, her hair became thin and baby fine, but after treatment, her hair grew back thicker and coarser.

CrystawniI can't imagine how you do S&D! Your hair is so fine and so light

Arctic
April 1st, 2018, 03:23 PM
It is possible for hair type to change - including the fineness/coarseness levels of individual hairs. I assume it's hormone-related.

Reyesuela
April 1st, 2018, 04:16 PM

Yes. You can even see/feel it thickening along the length of some strands, but mostly I notice over a longer period of time. The opposite process in its extreme is called miniaturization and happens with balding, but I started getting thickening hair strands in my early 20s, so the fact that it’s happening now is only partly due to the drugs. My four silvers come in incredibly coarse—it’s very common for hair to change thickness when it goes gray!

My coarser hair is also curlier. :)

Wendyp
April 1st, 2018, 04:17 PM
Others feel free to post action shots of your strands. Would love to see various strands from
Baby fine to coarse...

chomsky
April 1st, 2018, 04:45 PM
I'll give mine (right, tapered end) and my boyfriend's (left, fresh cut) a post, even though I've done so before. This is a cool thread! :o

https://i.imgur.com/rn3UNXR.jpg

I thought mine was fairly medium but others in the random picture thread said otherwise. I had no clue, lol. I can easily feel the strands of my hair, they make a sound too, if I haven't over-oiled (edit: over oiling makes it too greasy to roll, it just slips around). By boyfriend's though, thick as bristles. I'm saving up for a hair analysis so I can't know for sure, but for now I'll leave it as C.

Edit: my hair's pretty resilient too. It took a lot before it gave up.

Dendra
April 1st, 2018, 04:58 PM
Ooh yes I will post at some point when I grab a photo.

Wendyp
April 1st, 2018, 05:04 PM
I'll give mine (right, tapered end) and my boyfriend's (left, fresh cut) a post, even though I've done so before. This is a cool thread! :o

https://i.imgur.com/rn3UNXR.jpg

I thought mine was fairly medium but others in the random picture thread said otherwise. I had no clue, lol. I can easily feel the strands of my hair, they make a sound too, if I haven't over-oiled (edit: over oiling makes it too greasy to roll, it just slips around). By boyfriend's though, thick as bristles. I'm saving up for a hair analysis so I can't know for sure, but for now I'll leave it as C.

Edit: my hair's pretty resilient too. It took a lot before it gave up.
Wow! This is really awesome! Def a big difference from my hair too! Can’t believe someone told you medium and you are coarse!

chomsky
April 1st, 2018, 05:16 PM
Wow! This is really awesome! Def a big difference from my hair too! Can’t believe someone told you medium and you are coarse!

I must clarify, those that commented here said that my hair was coarse because of this picture, I couldn't believe it!

Your hair too looks pretty M to me, certainly not an F. Even though it's so light in colour it does stand out a lot.

I'd gone through my whole life thinking my hair was F/M, when I first joined I put F! I had the same "huh?" moment as you described in the original post. ;)

wannabe-rusalka
April 1st, 2018, 05:19 PM
Here's one of my strands on a black surface and in pretty much direct sunlight because it wouldn't show up on anything else. I think my hair is pretty fine

https://i.imgur.com/QGtgEn7m.jpg

Wendyp
April 1st, 2018, 05:34 PM
I must clarify, those that commented here said that my hair was coarse because of this picture, I couldn't believe it!

Your hair too looks pretty M to me, certainly not an F. Even though it's so light in colour it does stand out a lot.

I'd gone through my whole life thinking my hair was F/M, when I first joined I put F! I had the same "huh?" moment as you described in the original post. ;)

It really has been a huh moment. My entire life I heard fine hair but a lot of it. But when I started reading everything I could get my hands on here I was like wait a minute, maybe I’m not fine?? So much I didn’t know about hair care until really reading through the threads. Maybe if everyone posts their hair then those, like me, that have been misdirected can learn their true hair type.

Crystawni
April 1st, 2018, 07:00 PM
:scissors:

CrystawniI can't imagine how you do S&D! Your hair is so fine and so light

Ignorance is bliss. :p And can you imagine how fine the split hair is..! Honestly, when they get the snip, I'm often not sure if the split is all gone either, so the length of my snippage can be a little more aggressive to make sure. Bah.

leayellena
April 2nd, 2018, 01:06 AM
I think this might help? http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.de/2012/06/is-your-hair-fine-medium-or-coarse-how.html

Stray_mind
April 2nd, 2018, 02:27 AM
I think this might help? http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.de/2012/06/is-your-hair-fine-medium-or-coarse-how.html
Ohh sounds like fun. I'm gonna try it out!
I do believe my hair is fine, but who knows :D

wannabe-rusalka
April 2nd, 2018, 06:38 PM

Ooh so scientific! I’ll try this maybe tomorrow or whenever I remember to!

Wendyp
April 2nd, 2018, 07:28 PM
I know totally gonna try this when I get a chance! Thx for sharing!

Crystawni
April 2nd, 2018, 08:27 PM

:justy: I can't seeeeeeeeeeee! :brains: I mean, I just tried this with a random grouping near the ends of my hair, because buggered if I'm chasing invisible hairs that aren't attached, and it drove me nuts. I ended up peeling the hairs away to count after I got the right amount sitting flat on my metric tape, and got to somewhere around 32 before I stopped. Yup. All I can say is I'm a finey of the baby fine variety. *still trying to focus here* :dizzy:

So, maybe my pics (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=3530140#post3530140) aren't a good example of fine hair afterall... :oops:

Solgave
April 3rd, 2018, 01:11 PM
Ignorance is bliss. :p And can you imagine how fine the split hair is..! Honestly, when they get the snip, I'm often not sure if the split is all gone either, so the length of my snippage can be a little more aggressive to make sure. Bah.

Or when you cut a "split" and find that it is two hairs :scissors: :wail:

enting
April 3rd, 2018, 06:32 PM
Wendyp I think your hair looks to be on the medium side, from what I understand fine is harder to see, but perhaps it's the lighting and color that make it show up as well as it's showing.

I can always feel my individual hairs. A lot of them are fine, but I also have really sensitive skin.

I'm going to have to try this sometime. When I can find a mm ruler, that is.

My hairs vary a lot in their thickness. Some are wiry and I can see them from a distance. Some are so fine and light I can barely see them, but I don't think any of my hairs are quite cat-hair-fine. I am very familiar with thinking I've found a split only to realize it was two or more hairs grouped together. My hair is gradually getting coarser. I suspect it was all fine until my late teens and then I gradually started getting more medium and coarse hairs.

Corvana
April 3rd, 2018, 09:02 PM

According to this I've got fine hair! I've got 19 hairs fit between the two lines. It makes some sense, though. While I can feel them, it still takes concentration to do so. It compacts a little, but not a lot. They get bent pretty easy tbh. So I'm thinking my hair is fine, but on the cusp of medium?

Beeboo123
April 4th, 2018, 12:36 AM
Wendyp I think your hair looks to be on the medium side, from what I understand fine is harder to see, but perhaps it's the lighting and color that make it show up as well as it's showing.

I can always feel my individual hairs. A lot of them are fine, but I also have really sensitive skin.

I'm going to have to try this sometime. When I can find a mm ruler, that is.

My hairs vary a lot in their thickness. Some are wiry and I can see them from a distance. Some are so fine and light I can barely see them, but I don't think any of my hairs are quite cat-hair-fine. I am very familiar with thinking I've found a split only to realize it was two or more hairs grouped together. My hair is gradually getting coarser. I suspect it was all fine until my late teens and then I gradually started getting more medium and coarse hairs.

Speaking of cat-hair fine, I tried this with my cat who has the finest fur I have ever felt. I got up to over FIFTY strands. *shocked*

My hair is very much like yours, I have some really fine and wispy, almost invisible strands, and some strands that are thick and resilient. I managed to fit about 18 in a milimeter, so I guess it’s technically considered fine hair? They used to be all fine until I was around 19, and my texture changed and got wurlier and coarser.

Arctic
April 4th, 2018, 05:47 AM
Enting and Beeboo, I have similar hair too. Used to be very fine and straight, got more wavy and coarser around 30. Now it's a mixture of straight and wavy, fine and coarse. Quite a bit of my strands are textured too, wiry and/or kinky.

Wendyp
April 4th, 2018, 06:22 AM
I have to save up my hairs to do it officially but I was taking stands and putting them against the measure tape. There no way I’m fine I can only fit like 5 of those suckers in there :shrug: so realky what I have is at least medium hair. It may have gotten coarser over the years. Gonna be interesting to see what it looks like when I grow out all the damage.

Wendyp
April 4th, 2018, 02:12 PM
I did the test, it was awkward as the blonde doesnt show well against white, but this is 10 random hairs, I think i could fit maybe 2 more in there, so i guess officially medium hair.:eek:https://i.imgur.com/wj9qAhZ.jpg

update, this is a standard ruler, so 1/6 = 1.5 mm. but i still think it winds up being medium?

Rowdy
April 4th, 2018, 08:32 PM
I did the test, it was awkward as the blonde doesnt show well against white, but this is 10 random hairs, I think i could fit maybe 2 more in there, so i guess officially medium hair.:eek:

update, this is a standard ruler, so 1/6 = 1.5 mm. but i still think it winds up being medium?

According to the science-y link upthread fewer than 12 hairs per 1 mm is coarse so it sounds like you are right at the medium-coarse border or even coarse if you are at 10 hairs per mm. My hair is pretty coarse, depending on which hairs I use I fit between 6 and 10 hairs per 1 mm.

Wendyp
April 5th, 2018, 07:41 AM
According to the science-y link upthread fewer than 12 hairs per 1 mm is coarse so it sounds like you are right at the medium-coarse border or even coarse if you are at 10 hairs per mm. My hair is pretty coarse, depending on which hairs I use I fit between 6 and 10 hairs per 1 mm.

I don’t have a mm ruler this is a standard one. So I did a conversion and I think 1/16 inch = 1.5 mm so if 12 hairs per 1.5 mm I think it would put me in coarse, but I think I have a mix as you say. This has really been an eye opener!

Dendra
April 5th, 2018, 09:43 AM
I did the test, it was awkward as the blonde doesnt show well against white, but this is 10 random hairs, I think i could fit maybe 2 more in there, so i guess officially medium hair.:eek:https://i.imgur.com/wj9qAhZ.jpg

I've puzzled over this and this is what I came up with:

So, because that space = 1.5mm, and your hairs fill up almost half of it (0.75mm), I'd guess you'd need another 3 or 4 hairs to take you up to 1mm. Which puts you at 13 or 14 hairs per mm and therefore a medium. Although the sciencey hair blog has two definitions, which is kind of confusing, so it's either F/M or M :)

Wendyp
April 5th, 2018, 10:01 AM
I've puzzled over this and this is what I came up with:

So, because that space = 1.5mm, and your hairs fill up almost half of it (0.75mm), I'd guess you'd need another 3 or 4 hairs to take you up to 1mm. Which puts you at 13 or 14 hairs per mm and therefore a medium. Although the sciencey hair blog has two definitions, which is kind of confusing, so it's either F/M or M :)

I think only 2 hairs would fit in there. They are held together with water so they kind of clump, but it’s really hard to do without the water. But I’m still calling my hair medium because I’m reading through the threads I don’t think I have coarse characteristics except my hair needs oil on the length 2x a day and needs moisture.

MusicalSpoons
April 5th, 2018, 12:11 PM
I think only 2 hairs would fit in there. They are held together with water so they kind of clump, but it’s really hard to do without the water. But I’m still calling my hair medium because I’m reading through the threads I don’t think I have coarse characteristics except my hair needs oil on the length 2x a day and needs moisture.

I think you've mentioned elsewhere that you're growing out damage, so I think that would account for those characteristics :)

Also thanks for starting this thread; I've learned so much! :flower:

Wendyp
April 5th, 2018, 12:14 PM
I think you've mentioned elsewhere that you're growing out damage, so I think that would account for those characteristics :)

Also thanks for starting this thread; I've learned so much! :flower:

thats a really good point, i would make it feel coarse. And im using cassia, but only on my roots as the hair grows. But that may account for something. I need to re-do this once all the damage from coloring my hair with aveda color. My roots feel so much different than the rest of my hair. And I’m learning so much too! I feel like I knew nothing about my hair before this community!

illicitlizard
August 31st, 2018, 05:52 AM
That blogspot post is so helpful, and far less confusing than comparing to a ply of sewing thread. Had a moment looking at this thread thinking my hair may be medium instead of fine. Mostly because I can see the strands... As all my High School friends will attest they're kinda noticeable, my hairs were often found on their school blazers -_-
Luckily my life hasn't been a lie, I can fit 16+ strands into 1mm (idk exactly how many since I stopped at 16 but there was probably a gap for like 1, maybe 2 more hairs?) so it's all fine here :P

MusicalSpoons
August 31st, 2018, 07:54 AM
That blogspot post is so helpful, and far less confusing than comparing to a ply of sewing thread. Had a moment looking at this thread thinking my hair may be medium instead of fine. Mostly because I can see the strands... As all my High School friends will attest they're kinda noticeable, my hairs were often found on their school blazers -_-
Luckily my life hasn't been a lie, I can fit 16+ strands into 1mm (idk exactly how many since I stopped at 16 but there was probably a gap for like 1, maybe 2 more hairs?) so it's all fine here :P

Huh, mine too - you've made me really curious now! I should definitely try the measuring test.

AutobotsAttack
August 31st, 2018, 08:02 AM
I’d second the measuring method. Last time I measured I can fit 22-23 strands in 1mm.

Hairkay
August 31st, 2018, 08:42 AM
Interesting, I consider myself to mainly be medium since I know people with thicker hair strands and those with finer hair strands. I do have some fine hairs and even a few coarse hairs too. My strands also got a bit thicker from using henna glosses for some years. Sometimes when I am doing s & d I mistake a longer fine strand next to a slightly shorter medium strand as a split ended coarse strand. I have to look closer and move the hair around until I see that they are two totally separate strands. My medium hairs are curlier than fine or coarse strands so they shrink up the most.

Crna Kosa
August 31st, 2018, 01:49 PM
How do you feel your strand? Do you feel it passing beetween your fingers or just puting it there and watching if you feel something or you roll it? What is the method ;)

MusicalSpoons
August 31st, 2018, 03:58 PM
I've always read to feel when you roll it :)

Crna Kosa
August 31st, 2018, 04:07 PM
I don't know when I feel it passing beetween my fingers. If I'm feeling the strand from the root to the end I can't feel it . But if I feel it in opposite direction I can feel it and even hear it. I'm confused.

illicitlizard
September 1st, 2018, 12:52 AM
I don't know when I feel it passing beetween my fingers. If I'm feeling the strand from the root to the end I can't feel it . But if I feel it in opposite direction I can feel it and even hear it. I'm confused.

Yeah I can also feel my hair when rolling, I think it's a kinda ambiguous method just like the method of comparing to a ply of thread. I did the test detailed in the blogspot post linked above, lining up multiple shed hairs and seeing how many can fit within 1mm. I feel like that's more specific...

lapushka
September 1st, 2018, 05:52 AM
I know my hair is F, because I had a weird hair dresser at one time actually measure it with a tool, one strand. At the time I thought WTH is she doing to me? But I guess it puzzled her that I had so much hair and it was F. She actually scratched her head and said, that's not possible and she actually kept rooting around in my hair until I guess she found a normal size hair. :rolleyes: It's one of my weird memories. LOL! But most of my hair is F, so F. My mom has F hair, my dad has F hair. And now that I'm going a bit white here and there, it for sure is F (because those strands are even more ethereal).

You wouldn't say I had F hair, but... it is what it is.

illicitlizard
September 1st, 2018, 09:15 AM
Omg that's such a strange thing to happen at a hairdressing appointment lapushka! But it sounds so neat. I'd love to know the exact diameter of my hair... If I could commandeer a microscope in one of my prac classes I'd 100% try and find out.

lucid
September 1st, 2018, 10:12 AM
According to this I've got fine hair! I've got 19 hairs fit between the two lines. It makes some sense, though. While I can feel them, it still takes concentration to do so. It compacts a little, but not a lot. They get bent pretty easy tbh. So I'm thinking my hair is fine, but on the cusp of medium?

I can fit 20-21 hairs per mm. I can not feel the hairs if I hold them still between my fingers, but can feel them when I roll the stand.

Milynn
September 17th, 2020, 11:44 AM
Old topic, but interesting nonetheless, as I have lately been wondering about the strand thickness. This test the blog presented seems the first one which has actually been useful! I mean, I knew that I do not have fine hair, but I have always wondered that how in the seventh h*ll some one could have same strand thickness compared to sewing thread... Of course, I tried to compare it to the whole thread, not only to one ply. Which is apparently more realistic.

Made this test here and there is no way I could get even 10 hairs side by side to fit in 1 mm. Tried, and I could not do that even when they were overlapping (I just made a bundle of 10). Probably means I have to change my type to coarse, which really is something I have been suspecting, as I may see my hair against practically every surface and can feel one strand clearly as well. When I was a child it was described as a "horse mane", which actually is pretty fitting.

Useful test and topic, thank you!

Bri-Chan
September 19th, 2020, 03:35 AM
This test wasn't easy as I excepted. Anyway, I did with few different strands, I've something between 14 and 17 strands per millimeter. Fine, as I already knew. But reading other's results I'm not sure anymore if it's baby fine as I thought.

Alexandrina
September 21st, 2020, 11:54 AM
This is so interesting! And such fun to see everyone say how many they can fit in 1mm...
Now I'm going to have to spend all day trying to dig up a ruler from wherever I lost it

I'll come back and post the amount once I find it