PDA

View Full Version : Longest / thickest hair?

Vaderos
March 29th, 2018, 01:42 PM
Longest or thickest hair you seen or have?
Any competitions LHC?

ravenskey
March 29th, 2018, 01:54 PM
Longest hair I've seen in RL is a girl at my school with TBL hair.
Thickest hair in RL is a toss up between my own hair and another girl - never been able to measure her hair obviously but it looks very thick!

Stray_mind
March 29th, 2018, 01:55 PM
In real life? I saw a girl once with an english braid as thick as my arm that went down to her waist i think. Her ponytail circumference was probably 7 inches at least. I couldn't stop gawking at her magnificent hair.

Longest hair was thigh length. A girl in a bus.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 29th, 2018, 01:59 PM
The longest hair I ever saw IRL (apart from LHCers) was a smart young lady walking across the street. She had long thick straight blond knee length hair, worn loose. Everyone was staring at her, me included :)

JennGalt
March 29th, 2018, 02:05 PM
As a child my hair was so thick that literally every hairdresser my mom took me to complained about the thickness of my hair. I thought there must be a problem, since they all complained, insisted on using thinning scissors on me (the ones with the notched blades), and several who tried to style it flat out stated they didn't know what to do with so much hair. No idea what my ponytail circumference was, and my mom made me chop it off too short for all of it to go into a ponytail, but it was so dense that getting water and shampoo to my scalp took some effort.

I hated it. Now I wish I had that thickness back.

lapushka
March 29th, 2018, 02:12 PM
Any competitions LHC?

I don't think it's about who has the thickest or longest hair, at all.

There are people with thin hair here, who also are growing long, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. :flower:

There are challenges on here, and most are quite hard, so you might want to think of joining one of those.

No competitions; personally I don't see it's very nice to one another.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 29th, 2018, 02:16 PM

There are people with thin hair here, who also are growing long, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. :flower:

There are challenges on here, and most are quite hard, so you might want to think of joining one of those.

No, I don't see competitions as being that nice, because wherever you have a winner, all the others are "losers", and it's rather unkind to label anyone as a "loser".

Patrick2300
March 29th, 2018, 02:21 PM
Yesterday I saw in a supermarket a woman with hair to her knees ! :) Her hair looks smooth, but thin. A few grey strands she had.

Vaderos
March 29th, 2018, 02:38 PM
No, I don't see competitions as being that nice, because wherever you have a winner, all the others are "losers", and it's rather unkind to label anyone as a "loser".

I agree with you however if you look on art, music, books etc. there is no labels a "loser" to artists, authors or musicians for 2nd place on for example music charts.
In fact it may even motivate to do better :)

MoonRabbit
March 29th, 2018, 02:40 PM
I agree with you however if you look on art, music, books etc. there is no labels a "loser" to artists, authors or musicians for 2nd place on for example music charts.
In fact it may even motivate to do better :)

But hair comes down to genetics and we can't do better than what we are given.

EdG
March 29th, 2018, 02:48 PM
At a LHC meet a decade ago, I met one-time Guinness record holder DYQ. She had over 15 feet of hair.
:thud:

Most of the photos are now gone, except for this one (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=277738) which the OP will eventually be able to access.

After that, there was no point in having a hair-length contest. :shrug:
Ed

Lady Stardust
March 29th, 2018, 03:14 PM

Very well said. The beauty of LHC is in appreciating all the different types, colours and textures of hair and how beautiful they are, not in comparing them to someone else’s ideal.

Vaderos
March 29th, 2018, 03:31 PM

Music requires talent but also practice, similar with hair.
There are many people with good genetic which never even tried to grow and care.

lapushka
March 29th, 2018, 04:24 PM
There are many people with good genetic which never even tried to grow and care.

Except, we don't expect people to have "good genes" here. We welcome all kinds of long hair, whether you are well endowed with hair or not. You yourself said in your introduction that you had short hair, and were losing it, hence why you cut it. So you are the best person to understand how this actually comes across and feels. :flower:

Aredhel
March 29th, 2018, 05:06 PM
Except, we don't expect people to have "good genes" here. We welcome all kinds of long hair, whether you are well endowed with hair or not. You yourself said in your introduction that you had short hair, and were losing it, hence why you cut it. So you are the best person to understand how this actually comes across and feels. :flower:

This comment. :heartbeat I came across this thread earlier and the idea of a hair competition on LHC or "good genetics" weirded me out. Who gets to define what good genetics mean anyway when it comes to hair...

lapushka
March 29th, 2018, 05:17 PM
This comment. :heartbeat I came across this thread earlier and the idea of a hair competition on LHC or "good genetics" weirded me out. Who gets to define what good genetics mean anyway when it comes to hair...

Yes plus I felt a bit offended in my mom's place. She has thin hair (i) and has gotten thinner through the years, lost a lot permanently after pregnancy, then again after menopause. She's always saying how she loves my hair, but you should see hers when she's freshly set it on rollers! Gorgeous. But still she feels bad because she doesn't have the "thick" hair. Why?! Why does this have to be that people can't feel good about what they have. That is why I love this place; there's no judgement.

OP, I think you should be glad for that, seeing as you have problems with your own hair too (as I gathered from your intro posts). :flower:

Ligeia Noire
March 29th, 2018, 07:39 PM
I do not like this thread, I mean for people that you have seen with long hair you already have the long hair spotted in the wild or something like that thread, it looks like you are more concerned with who has the most this or the most that, nope, I do not think that is the right approach at all, whether you have 1 cm circumference or 20 cm with 2 meters of hair. It just furthers the misconception of the thicker and longer the better. Sorry if I am a bit rude but yeah. I am all for competition on things you can change and work for.

Beckstar
March 29th, 2018, 07:43 PM
At a LHC meet a decade ago, I met one-time Guinness record holder DYQ. She had over 15 feet of hair.
:thud:

Most of the photos are now gone, except for this one (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=277738) which the OP will eventually be able to access.

After that, there was no point in having a hair-length contest. :shrug:
Ed

15' head to ends? Not dreads?

Beckstar
March 29th, 2018, 07:44 PM
I do not like this thread, I mean for people that you have seen with long hair you already have the long hair spotted in the wild or something like that thread, it looks like you are more concerned with who has the most this or the most that, nope, I do not think that is the right approach at all, whether you have 1 cm circumference or 20 cm with 2 meters of hair. It just furthers the misconception of the thicker and longer the better. Sorry if I am a bit rude but yeah. I am all for competition on things you can change and work for.

My first thought was creepy/fettish vibe. My apologies to OP if that's not the intent.

chiapommama
March 29th, 2018, 08:11 PM
Better to be happy with the hair you have I say . Try to embrace it warts and all. Not a contest, just a journey.

Dark40
March 29th, 2018, 09:13 PM
The longest and thickest of hair I've seen in RL is a girlfriend of mine with ankle length hair.
Another girlfriend of mine I saw in RL in high school with almost TBL hair. It was the thickest I have seen on a Greek girl.

Patrick2300
March 30th, 2018, 02:20 AM
My first thought was creepy/fettish vibe. My apologies to OP if that's not the intent.

No, that was not my aim. I find, it's simply nice, to see someone, which have the patience to grow their hair such long.

Crystawni
March 30th, 2018, 02:57 AM
Any competitions LHC?

There is no competition, here or in RL. I'm sorry, but I'm not a fan of hair discrimination. I'm more for embracing individuality as we're all participants on a wide-reaching playing field.

Vaderos
March 30th, 2018, 04:04 AM
There is no competition, here or in RL. I'm sorry, but I'm not a fan of hair discrimination. I'm more for embracing individuality as we're all participants on a wide-reaching playing field.

I feel sorry that most of you treat competition as discrimination.
I am the one with really weak hair and never thought or felt discriminated even when my hairdresser said that thin hair should be short.
I have never won any sport competition and I did a lot of training but still there was someone better possibly because of better genetics .
I am not going to cry because ot that I will rather enjoy meeting / seeing other people with different genetics, care tactics etc.

Crystawni
March 30th, 2018, 04:37 AM
Putting labels on it discriminates. Thick, thin, long, short... better, worse, weak, strong... Better than what, exactly? Are we all striving for the same thing here? No. Can we? No. So where's the competition? There are too many variables. Long on a child maybe short on a 7' basketballer. The same goes for thick, thin, light, dark, etc. How can we compare when we're all so different? And really, I don't want to single out certain parameters as better than others when "better" is based on a matter of opinion.

lapushka
March 30th, 2018, 05:27 AM
No, that was not my aim. I find, it's simply nice, to see someone, which have the patience to grow their hair such long.

I think Beckstar was addressing the OP, "original poster". Wait... that's odd...

MoonRabbit
March 30th, 2018, 06:15 AM
Putting labels on it discriminates. Thick, thin, long, short... better, worse, weak, strong... Better than what, exactly? Are we all striving for the same thing here? No. Can we? No. So where's the competition? There are too many variables. Long on a child maybe short on a 7' basketballer. The same goes for thick, thin, light, dark, etc. How can we compare when we're all so different? And really, I don't want to single out certain parameters as better than others when "better" is based on a matter of opinion.

Perfect :heartbeat

I think Beckstar was addressing the OP, "original poster". Wait... that's odd...

Yeah I thought the same..odd indeed

Vaderos
March 30th, 2018, 06:18 AM

How about beauty contest?
Length and thickness of hair you can measure, the beauty contest is a matter of opinion and no one have any problems with this.
I never thought that there might be a problem with discrimination about length or thickness of the hair. Well until now.
Because I do not need the competition to see and realise that my hair is not as great as others and now when I see that it is something wrong about having hair little thiner or shorter I feel depressed .

MoonRabbit
March 30th, 2018, 06:23 AM

As lapushka has said we don't expect everyone to have these so called good genes. I understand that there are people who don't try to grow but if they have found LHC they are most likely here for hair care, growth or choose to stay shorter and just enjoy the company. Asking people to compete with length and thickness in a forum where we already try our best to treat hair properly is asking many members not to participate, including myself. I can't work on gaining thickness, I have below average thickness and I love it that way. Many other here have the same or have a shorter terminal length, and that is completely fine. We just love hair for what it is.

Crystawni
March 30th, 2018, 06:37 AM
Length and thickness of hair you can measure, the beauty contest is a matter of opinion and no one have any problems with this.
I never thought that there might be a problem with discrimination about length or thickness of the hair. Well until now.
Because I do not need the competition to see and realise that my hair is not as great as others and now when I see that it is something wrong about having hair little thiner or shorter I feel depressed .

I think people do have problems with beauty contests (https://www.google.com.au/search?q=beauty+contest+discrimination&rlz=1C1CHFX_enAU667AU667&oq=beauty+contest+discrimination&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.7038j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8). (The link I included to a Google search is just an example.) In any case, I really don't think LHC is the kind of place that encourages this kind of competitive behaviour.

EdG
March 30th, 2018, 07:03 AM
15' head to ends? Not dreads?Yes, that was actual length, not dreadlocks. DYQ had to keep her hair up and wrapped in a scarf. It was an effort that one would not do unless one was going for a world record.

Meanwhile, the rest of us ordinary longhairs were standing around in awe. :thudpile:

The moral of this thread is that one gets the hair that one gets. Personally, I wouldn't mind having the hair that I had a decade ago. ;)
Ed

lapushka
March 30th, 2018, 07:13 AM

Personally, and I speak only for myself, I don't feel the urge or need for this. Would you participate? Because if you start a challenge, it speaks for itself that you yourself participate in it. Right? I mean that's how it goes with all the challenges that are set here.

Beckstar
March 30th, 2018, 08:43 AM

No no.. not you. I was referring to the originator of the thread. My first thought when I saw the thread was they were wanting posters to compare hair to see who has the thickest or longest hair. LCH competitions made me think that. I extended apologizes to the OP if I misread the vibe of the thread.

MoonRabbit
March 30th, 2018, 08:53 AM
Here is the link to the Long Hair Sighting thread..if that is what you are looking for. It's a fun read!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5299

Vaderos
March 30th, 2018, 08:59 AM
I think people do have problems with beauty contests (https://www.google.com.au/search?q=beauty+contest+discrimination&rlz=1C1CHFX_enAU667AU667&oq=beauty+contest+discrimination&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.7038j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8). (The link I included to a Google search is just an example.) In any case, I really don't think LHC is the kind of place that encourages this kind of competitive behaviour.

Type anyting you wish in google and you will find it.
Beauty contests are there in most of the countries in the world and of course there are people that will complain about it as about anyting else.
If LHC is not the right place to ask about hair length then what is? Gardening community?

I do not need that competition I only asked and in opinion of many members there is no need for that and I totaly understand this.

However I don't think it would be discrimination.
Thinking this way there would be no contests in music, art, sport and so on.
...would you think about it every time you see any sort of competition, who didn't win will be labelled?

What is the hair length competition about?
Measuring, isn't that what you already do?
Perhaps we should keep hair lengths and photos for ourselves because someone can be offended?

lapushka
March 30th, 2018, 09:32 AM
Beauty contests are there in most of the countries in the world and of course there are people that will complain about it as about anyting else.
If LHC is not the right place to ask about hair length then what is? Gardening community?

I do not need that competition I only asked and in opinion of many members there is no need for that and I totaly understand this.

...would you think about it every time you see any sort of competition, who didn't win will be labelled?

Perhaps we should keep hair lengths and photos for ourselves because someone can be offended?

Vaderos, might I suggest you spend some time here first, to get the "vibe" of this place and what it is like in general? You just got here. Then you will realize why your aim to have this contest doesn't really suit this community.

You are free to do what you want, of course you are, but I think it will be discriminatory towards the people here who do not have thick and the longest hair; that's not what it's about.

You didn't answer my question on whether or not you would be participating in this contest.

MoonRabbit
March 30th, 2018, 09:39 AM

I get what you are saying, I really do, but for This community, we don't do competitions because we are all here for relatively the same thing. We are not looking to be the best, the longest, the thickest. Yes, sports, art ect takes talent, but hair health and growth, takes a simple understanding of management, protection, patience, care, We can not change our terminal length and we certainly can not change thickness on hair (unless it is medical, damage or something else). We share our progress as self set goals or inspiration, to have an interest with other like minded individuals. It wouldn't be kind to say we are starting a competition only the longest and thickest will be able to win because many of our members would feel left out and wonder why their hair isn't considered "good enough". Not even including people that just started the journey...when would the competition ever end then? Hair grows for a very long time it would take ages to finish the race.

Chromis
March 30th, 2018, 09:40 AM
LHC stands for Long Hair Community, not Long Hair Contest.