PDA

View Full Version : Kinky strands in straight hair (photo)

Esya
March 29th, 2018, 04:19 AM
Hi guys,

Recently I started feeling that my hair feels different when I run my hand through it. Looking closer I saw that some strands have changed in texture (the bottom one is new, the top one is my normal hair texture):

http://i66.tinypic.com/14slk07.jpg

I'm really confused, because I take good care of my hair: almost never use heat, use coconut oil while brushing with detangling brush, try not to brush it when wet, don't pull on it, wear it in a bun or low pony, don't wash hair too often, use conditioner etc.

The kinky part doesn't feel right or natural: it's dry and feels damaged and the kinks aren't soft but sort of jagged if it makes sense. (My boyfriend has quite curly hair - when I run my fingers over his strands the curls feel smooth and healthy, unlike my new strands. So I know it's not like some recessive gene manifesting, which I'd be fine with.).

Has anyone experienced anything like this? What was the cause?

Any tips on how to solve it?

Thanks.

Aredhel
March 29th, 2018, 04:50 AM
I have a few hairs throughout my head that are more "medium" than fine. I think it's quite normal to have varying textures in one's hair. If they are new, it's also normal for your hair to change a bit throughout your years.

Just as an example, before my sister hit puberty she had 1b/F hair...and after it hit, she's had 2b/C hair her whole life since.

It just sounds to me like it could be one of those changes? Maybe others here have better theories though. :)

lapushka
March 29th, 2018, 06:00 AM
You can't "solve" something that occurs naturally in the hair. Some hair follicles can be wonky and produce different hairs. I have a sort of mole at the back left of my head, and right next to it I have a dark black kinky curly hair. It doesn't grow very long but is coarse and my normal hair is F. I barely feel it in my hair.

It's normal; nothing to worry about. Just... carry on. :flower:

MusicalSpoons
March 29th, 2018, 06:21 AM
I have all sorts of kinky, curly, ringletty, even a couple of z-type kinky hairs on my head - just the overwhelming majority are straight and fine or straight and medium. I've actually noticed a few more of them in recent years (not because I've been more aware of my hair - they're the kind of strands that used to trigger trichotillomania for me) and I now see they actually give my hair more ... life. So yeah, totally normal :D

I should make clear, I only have a few of each of those types of strands - more than one or two, but still a miniscule fraction of the 100000+ strands on my head.

vampyyri
March 29th, 2018, 06:33 AM
I have several of these hairs on my head mixed in with my texture (maybe 10 strands in total), they almost feel scaley or rough. They also grew all the way down to the very ends of my hair! It's natural to have these guys mixed in, there's no need to "solve" it!

Lisa-K
March 29th, 2018, 08:10 AM
I have exactly the same! Actually, I only seem to find one like that once every blue moon. Each time, I'm like WTF, pubic hair on my head!

Katsura
March 29th, 2018, 08:29 AM
I have all sorts of kinky, curly, ringletty, even a couple of z-type kinky hairs on my head - just the overwhelming majority are straight and fine or straight and medium. I've actually noticed a few more of them in recent years (not because I've been more aware of my hair - they're the kind of strands that used to trigger trichotillomania for me) and I now see they actually give my hair more ... life. So yeah, totally normal :D

I should make clear, I only have a few of each of those types of strands - more than one or two, but still a miniscule fraction of the 100000+ strands on my head.

I've suffered from trichotillomania too, and I always thought these crooked strands were somehow resulting from pulling, but I don't know.

MusicalSpoons
March 29th, 2018, 08:39 AM
I've suffered from trichotillomania too, and I always thought these crooked strands were somehow resulting from pulling, but I don't know.

I'm sorry to hear you've been through it too :flower: For me, they were definitely there before it all started though :)

Edit: thinking about it, probably the reason I'm noticing them more often is because most of them get to stay in my scalp long enough to grow now :lol:

Katsura
March 29th, 2018, 08:47 AM
I'm sorry to hear you've been through it too :flower: For me, they were definitely there before it all started though :)

Edit: thinking about it, probably the reason I'm noticing them more often is because most of them get to stay in my scalp long enough to grow now :lol:

My sympathies to you too. :) I am also at this point trying to keep them too. :D

Kae612
March 29th, 2018, 10:16 PM
I’ve got a section on the bottom right that is all coarse and feels rough like that. It just kind of is, there isn’t a great solve. I have others mixed in - and like other people have mentioned they were definitely trichotillomania triggers for me. Some now are short and don’t grow with the rest of my hair, so that can be irritating. I have a ton of short hairs all around my head that stick out funny sometimes 😛

But it isn’t a conditioning issue, it’s the natural hair texture that does sometimes change over time. So even if it seems new it isn’t really a problem.

Arctic
March 30th, 2018, 05:05 AM
I have these too. Based on a decade reading these forums I can assure they are normal. Almost everyone has them: some have only few, some have more substantial number of them.

I can understand the texture feeling off. Like many already mentioned, my crickly/wiry/kinky hairs are a trichotillomania trigger for me. I have been working a long time insearch of acceptance. I have come far in many ways, but still at the times of stress the triggering effect gets me.

They are not "bad hairs", they are just different kind of hairs. I can't say whether the follicle is damaged or not, but if it is I know no method of how to fix it. The best thing you can do is to not to obsess over them, learn care methods that keep all your hair happy and enjoy your hair. These little guys give body and lift to my hair, for example.

Lanalavallama
March 30th, 2018, 05:16 AM
Even in a coily head of hair like mine, these strands make an appearance.
My hair is mostly fine and smooth; these hairs definitely stand out. At first I thought it was due to using too much protein, but I don't mind them too much.

Beckstar
March 30th, 2018, 09:30 AM
I have random thick, wiry straight hairs mixed in with my curls. Guess some hairs just like to be different.

lucid
March 30th, 2018, 01:20 PM
I have exactly one coarse and kinky/wiry strand. The rest of my strands are straight, most are fine and some medium.

Took this pic earlier today, before I saw this thread. Fun coincidense :p

https://s9.postimg.org/m7c9hufwv/20180330_211409.png

lapushka
March 30th, 2018, 02:10 PM
Hair can for sure surprise us! :)

shaiyeh
April 1st, 2018, 06:50 AM
I've always had hairs like that in mine, too ^^' they seem to come out more easily than the rest of my hair too. (sometimes I get bothered by the coarse, kinky hairs and pull them out =_= I wish I wouldn't, but it's an anxiety thing) Nice to know tho I'm not the only one who has them XD

lithostoic
April 1st, 2018, 07:09 AM
I have strands like this! I always hope one day my hair will be wavy like my parents'

Arctic
April 1st, 2018, 07:51 AM
These strands give amazing volume for my hair, that's for sure!

Purpleaggie05
August 10th, 2018, 10:29 AM
To support a comment mentioned earlier in this thread: my hair has become more "kinky" with age and/or after child birth. I've developed a mass of them all at the crown/top of my head. The rest of my hair has nice soft waves for the most part, then the back/top of my head is totally "scrunched". I would be happy if all my hair was "scrunched" or none of it, just pick one! But alas, I just deal with it. I'm kinda said that there's no real solution to this; it makes it very difficult to be no-heat, bc if I blow-dry my hair it will all be nice and straight very easily. ... But I must behave. :pray:

I'm wondering if a certain diet would impact it? I know this would take a lot of discipline and time to pass to see if any differences are achieved. My life is a bit too chaotic at the moment to give this a try, but maybe in September, I could give it a whirl.

spidermom
August 10th, 2018, 11:53 AM
It's amazing what we notice when we pay attention to all things hair!

When she was little, my daughter had wavy to curly, neutral blonde hair - the color a lot of fair-skinned children have. I noticed, however, that scattered throughout she had hairs that were tightly Z-shaped zig-zags and toy duck yellow. Weird! I've braided her hair as an adult, and she no longer has those hairs.