PDA

View Full Version : First salon trip in a whole year

MsBubbles
October 30th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I just got back from my first salon trip in a year. I thought I'd never go back, but when my hair was shoulder length and highlighted between 1997-2007, my stylist did a great job. I love her to death and I consider us to be friends. She did my hair for free many times when I was down and out. I finally decided to have her put lowlights over my remaining 19" of fried, highlighted ends.

Let me just say, I had completely forgotten how ignorant I was about treating my hair gently pre-LHC. And let me just say that I still love this woman to death but my God she towel-rubbed my hair, used a brush, and created and pulled so many damn knots through with brute force that I just sat there feeling the blood drain from my face in horror.

Anyway, she is a coloring genius and has managed to restore my two-tone length back into the dark blond (tawny?) color that is sprouting out of my scalp. And not only that she gave my ends an awesome trim...only taking off 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch, including the layers that have about 2" to go to catch up with the rest.

Of course when I got home I rushed to the bathroom to check my hemline :undecided, and was happy to see that it hangs a little neater, but all in all hangs exactly the same as after I've done a Feye's Self Trim.

I was really happy to see her again but oh man do I feel traumatized right now :scared:.

spidermom
October 30th, 2008, 05:37 PM
So how come you didn't ask her to lighten up on the yanking and ripping?

MsBubbles
October 30th, 2008, 05:48 PM
That's an excellent question, and one, apparently, that I don't have an answer for:hmm:. Possibly because I've known this lady for 17 years, and she knows all my deepest darkest secrets. Possibly for the same reason I can't or don't stand up to my sister if she's yelling at me. I don't know :cry:.

'Run away...run awayyy...' :run:

jojo
October 30th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Its hard I suppose, i would probably sit there and cringe, but then again I have a salon phobia well not a proper one but I havent been in one for 3 years now. I am happy you are happy with your colour and cut though.

MsBubbles
October 30th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I am happy you are happy with your colour and cut though.

thanks! I am greatly relieved not to have come out with 5 inches chopped off.

Katahdin
October 30th, 2008, 11:27 PM
That's an excellent question, and one, apparently, that I don't have an answer for:hmm:. Possibly because I've known this lady for 17 years, and she knows all my deepest darkest secrets. Possibly for the same reason I can't or don't stand up to my sister if she's yelling at me. I don't know :cry:.

I know just how you feel. I tend to be polite to a fault. If a hairdresser did something I didn't like, I would never have the guts to walk out or not pay =/

Maybe you could tell her your scalp has become very sensitive recently? You could comb out your hair yourself, as gently as you like.

Lady Lilya
November 1st, 2008, 01:51 PM
I haven't been to a salon in more than a decade. And that was just for a fancy up-do for the prom. No coloring or cutting. I can't remember the last time I had my hair cut at a salon. Before high school, I guess. I just trim it myself. Because it is so curly, I don't have to do a very good job, since each wisp's ends fall at a different point regardless.

paper
November 2nd, 2008, 06:19 AM
I had a bad experience at the hairdressers the other day too! She trimmed my bangs and snipped off the ends. Just like I asked her to do. She blew it dry, which I was ok with this one time. Then when she was done, she used a flat iron. It kinda freaked me out. I've been going to her for 15 yrs and this was the first time she's used a flat iron on my hair. I should of stopped it. Next time I will know better! Like you, I was glad at least I didn't lose my length.

Indigosails
November 2nd, 2008, 08:04 AM

I am the same way. I am often polite to the point of getting hurt. It is hard to learn that it is OK to stand up for ones self. It is wonderful that you got the color you wanted. Sounds like this lady is very good at most of what she does! The guy I go to never rubs wet hair and only blots, which is very nice.