PDA

View Full Version : ACV as conditioner?

Spinder
March 26th, 2018, 12:04 AM
Does anyone else do this? I am curious. I have been using apple cider vinegar in place of conditioner for some time, and I must say I quite like it - I tend to have bot h a horribly flaky and yet greasy scalp with dry ends, and I find the ACV leaves my hair very light and clean, not gunky or weighed down like conventional conditioner. Plus, conditioner tends to be rather expensive, and I have been hopping between brands all my life, never able to find one I have been consistently happy with. I have heard mixed things about whether or not doing this can be damaging. I haven't had any issues at all with dryness, or an increase in splits, from what I can tell. It actually feels much more evenly moisturized, and it seems to ward off the greasy roots/dry ends for a bit longer, so I do not need to wash quite as much.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 26th, 2018, 12:07 AM
Do you use it diluted?

Katsura
March 26th, 2018, 12:26 AM
I haven't tried it yet, but I have been thinking about it a lot recently. My scalp and hair sound a lot like yours, so maybe I'll give it a go. :)

Spinder
March 26th, 2018, 01:51 AM
Do you use it diluted?

Yes, about 3/4 water and 1/4 vinegar mixture :)

Sarahlabyrinth
March 26th, 2018, 01:58 AM
Ah. At the moment I have given up conditioner and am using diluted white vinegar (2 teaspoons of vinegar to 1 litre of water) and oils instead, and will see how it works out.

Wendyp
March 26th, 2018, 05:52 AM
I use it as a rinse, diluted but i havd to use conditioner as I’m growing out damage from bleach and bad water.

Pol
March 27th, 2018, 03:47 PM
I do this! I use it very heavily diluted (a tiny glug in a glass full of water), leave it on for a minute and then rinse out. I wash my hair every day (with a very gentle shampoo), so this is economical for me. We have very hard water too, so it's a good solution for that. Another big bonus is I swear my hair dries quicker without conditioner: great for a daily washer. I do use a little aloe vera gel and leave in conditioner on the ends afterwards, which I find keeps my hair in tip top condition. I like the fact I only use 4 products and some herbs on my hair - keeps it simple (well, simple for LHC anyway!).

AutobotsAttack
March 27th, 2018, 04:33 PM
I mix it into my shampoo. Usually 1/2 a cup and just pour it into my diluted shampoo.

Really helps calm my scalp itchies.

Harini
March 27th, 2018, 06:55 PM
I used it for a few months as I was doing the no-poo method (rhassoul clay as shampoo). Personally, I did not like it even though I really wanted to. It left my hair greasy and heavy and didn't help with the extreme static I was experiencing at the time. I also used it for a month of water only washing as a weekly rinse and it would make my hair greasier than just using water.
It's possible my water is related. I live in LA with very hard water. But I'm really not sure.
Glad it's working for you!!