PDA

View Full Version : Help with dry itchy scalp

Agnes Hannah
March 24th, 2018, 11:09 AM
Hello
My hair used to be naturally oily and was easy to look after. I used SLS free shampoo from Holland and Barratt and conditioned from neck down and this worked for me really nicely. Now it is much drier and my scalp is itchy and dry. There are no flakes though. I have tried using a coal tar shampoo, but I'm still itchy and dry. Please help!
I have recently changed medication for type 2 diabetes and also take Tamoxifen which affects my oestrogen levels. Do I need to change to using a shampoo for dry hair now?
Thanks in advance. xx

lapushka
March 24th, 2018, 02:21 PM
Hello
My hair used to be naturally oily and was easy to look after. I used SLS free shampoo from Holland and Barratt and conditioned from neck down and this worked for me really nicely. Now it is much drier and my scalp is itchy and dry. There are no flakes though. I have tried using a coal tar shampoo, but I'm still itchy and dry. Please help!
I have recently changed medication for type 2 diabetes and also take Tamoxifen which affects my oestrogen levels. Do I need to change to using a shampoo for dry hair now?
Thanks in advance. xx

First question. Are you sure it's dry & itchy and not oily & itchy. The difference is difficult to ascertain especially if you get flaking, you tend to assume it's dry scalp when sometimes it isn't. If your hair is naturally oily, then... chances are it is something called SD, aka seborrheic dermatitis, but that is up to a doctor to diagnose. We can't do it here. I'm just telling you of my experience, and how I mistook "dry" for "oily" too at first and tried all sorts of home remedies.

Maybe try Nizoral shampoo if you can get the 2%, fine. The 1% will probably be fine, though. Follow the instructions to a T (suds up, leave in the hair for 5 to 10 min., suds some more & wash, rinse).

That would be my advice.

The last thing I am going to recommend are oils on the scalp, especially if you are oily. Oils also feed the fungal overgrowth if it is SD, making it totally worse.

Anyway, you don't have to trust what I say. Who knows. It could be eczema, psoriasis, any one of those things.

You really need to see a doctor. But if you want to try something, I'd say give the Nizoral a go.

cjk
March 24th, 2018, 02:48 PM
From your spelling of oestrogen you're likely either in Europe or down under.

In the Southern Hemisphere you're passing into winter, when skin often dries out and gets itchy. Seasonal changes.

Might this be a contributing factor? I know my own skin changes, seasonally.

lapushka
March 24th, 2018, 02:55 PM

In the Southern Hemisphere you're passing into winter, when skin often dries out and gets itchy. Seasonal changes.

Yes but she's never had this before, which would make this quite unlikely. :flower:

Agnes Hannah
March 24th, 2018, 03:49 PM
I have been using polytar scalp shampoo with 4% coal tar solution, I got it from the pharmacist. My doctor prescribed Betnovate scalp application too. My hair has definitely become drier as it used to get quite oily over the course of a week for example. I used to have to wash it every 3 days or so, but now it is still ok for much longer, nearly a whole week. I last washed it on Tuesday of this week and did a deep condition too to see if that would help things. I'm still itching.

lapushka
March 24th, 2018, 04:19 PM
I have been using polytar scalp shampoo with 4% coal tar solution, I got it from the pharmacist. My doctor prescribed Betnovate scalp application too. My hair has definitely become drier as it used to get quite oily over the course of a week for example. I used to have to wash it every 3 days or so, but now it is still ok for much longer, nearly a whole week. I last washed it on Tuesday of this week and did a deep condition too to see if that would help things. I'm still itching.

Did you get itchy after stretching? Because then the solution would be easy.

It might be the products your doc gave you; give some feedback on the issue & go back to the doc!

Agnes Hannah
March 24th, 2018, 04:26 PM
Thanks Lapushka, the itching started a couple of weeks ago, but not because of stretching washes, I started doing this because of the itching. I have only been using the polytar shampoo for a couple of weeks, three times shampooed. Maybe I should wash more often (scalp only to protect my ends), and go back to the doctors after giving it more time.

lapushka
March 24th, 2018, 04:39 PM
Thanks Lapushka, the itching started a couple of weeks ago, but not because of stretching washes, I started doing this because of the itching. I have only been using the polytar shampoo for a couple of weeks, three times shampooed. Maybe I should wash more often (scalp only to protect my ends), and go back to the doctors after giving it more time.

Giving it more time when you are uncomfy from the itching is the last I would do. I'd go back to the doctor asap. Maybe s/he can prescribe you something else, maybe the itching is a sign that s/he should be taking a different route. Sometimes doctors have to guess in one direction or the other, and see what works for the patient and what doesn't, you going back & giving feedback is priceless.

MusicalSpoons
March 24th, 2018, 06:48 PM

Yes but she's never had this before, which would make this quite unlikely. :flower:

It is possible for this to suddenly start being a problem. This winter is the first time I had to see a doctor about dry, itchy skin (diagnosed as eczema) and she said there were many others experiencing real problems for the first time, and more existing patients with more severe flare-ups than usual. I'm not saying it's particularly likely, but it is possible.

That being said, winter dryness tends more to be dehydration than actual 'not producing oil' dryness. It sounds like something has indeed changed in your scalp, Agnes Hannah. Did the doctor give you a particular length of time to see if it works? If not then going back (or even just a telephone consultation, if your doctor offers that?) might be advisable. Oh, also, does the shampoo have any instructions about how often to use it? Some medicated shampoos do specify.

Blue Mermaid
March 24th, 2018, 10:51 PM
It's really really common for diabetics especially to have issues with dry skin. My suggestion, try stretching washes by a day, or use a gentler shampoo. If it gets better, you'll know it's that. If it gets worse, could be SD or something else.

ReptilianFeline
March 25th, 2018, 08:29 AM
I have found that neem oil helps keeping the itchyness down, as do aloe vera gel. Maybe you could try, on a small spot at least, and mix some neem oil and aloe vera gel and apply it. Betnovate is good at keeping the itch down, but makes things dryer and doesn't help fixing the real problem. I've tried that too, so I know how nice it is to put on when all you want to do is scartch, scratch, scratch.

lapushka
March 25th, 2018, 09:10 AM
Agnes Hannah, you are already using a sulfate-free shampoo. Maybe the coal tar shampoo is drying it out, but you were given that for a reason, right? Just trying to make the link between how come you switched from sulfate-free to the coal tar shampoo. :?: