PDA

View Full Version : Regeneration every few years

IsisMoon
March 22nd, 2018, 02:12 AM
Ok, so this might be the silliest question ever posted on here :p but I was wondering if the hair renews itself on its own every few years, won't the whole damage be replaced then without having the need to go to a hairdresser for a cut?

I'm one of those people who doesn't cut hair at all and I like it being wild but I'm starting to get scared hearing some people say that if you don't tend to split ends, it will travel all the way up and all the hair will start to fall out. This hasn't happened yet and I'm on year 5 without having any trims but still the feat persists.

So do I have to go for a cut or will it all renew itself anyways?

Glitch
March 22nd, 2018, 02:49 AM
You are right, in that a whole new head of healthy hair will produce itself as time goes on. The splits part is generally true too, but these things always depend on many factors. In your case, they haven't impacted the new growth :D If you don't notice damage travelling upwards, I say it's fine to just let things be.

Besides, I've seen people pull it off from start to end. BeautyKLove on youtube decided to keep her old bleached ends, and grew them out just fine. She still experiments with her dyed ends from many years ago (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEXTQlwiQsA&feature=youtu.be&t=2m28s) and it doesn't effect the rest of her new hair. :)

IsisMoon
March 22nd, 2018, 03:47 AM
You are right, in that a whole new head of healthy hair will produce itself as time goes on. The splits part is generally true too, but these things always depend on many factors. In your case, they haven't impacted the new growth :D If you don't notice damage travelling upwards, I say it's fine to just let things be.

Besides, I've seen people pull it off from start to end. BeautyKLove on youtube decided to keep her old bleached ends, and grew them out just fine. She still experiments with her dyed ends from many years ago (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEXTQlwiQsA&feature=youtu.be&t=2m28s) and it doesn't effect the rest of her new hair. :)

Thanks so much for your reply. :)

Funny coincidence about beautyklove. I subscribed to her yesterday but haven't had time to watch anything yet. Will do so today. :cool:

Simsy
March 22nd, 2018, 04:07 AM
Something to bear in mind...hair doesn’t repair what’s already out of the scalp. The ends generally wear away or snap off while new growth comes out of the scalp. So yes, eventually you will have a new head of hair. The damaged ends will be shed/snapped/worn away over time; you might be able to get away without trimming, just keep an eye on them and make sure the splits aren’t causing more grief. If they don’t, awesome; you lucky person. If they do, don’t panic; just snip the strand just above the split.

Glitch
March 22nd, 2018, 04:17 AM
Thanks so much for your reply. :)

Funny coincidence about beautyklove. I subscribed to her yesterday but haven't had time to watch anything yet. Will do so today. :cool:

Meant to be ;) Best of luck!

spidermom
March 22nd, 2018, 06:39 AM
This is my understanding, too. Old hairs shed out, new hairs grow in.

One more thing to keep in mind, however: If damage is causing tangles, combing them out can cause neighboring hairs to become damaged. When I was wearing my hair long, I noticed that around tailbone length, I was constantly fighting with my ends. In spite of the best care I was capable of, I had thousands of split ends, and they'd stick together like Velcro. Eventually that and other things made me miserable with my hair and I had it cut much shorter.

lapushka
March 22nd, 2018, 07:50 AM
It's a constant cycle of renewal all over your head, at different times, which is the reason nobody ends up bald. :) It might be a good idea, if you never trim, to S&D (search & destroy) your splits. Hold the ends up to a good light source, natural or artificial, and try and get your splits and cut them individually a bit above the split area. Some of us do this instead of trimming, and it is even allowed if you are part of the no-trimming challenges.

IsisMoon
March 22nd, 2018, 08:03 AM
Something to bear in mind...hair doesn’t repair what’s already out of the scalp. The ends generally wear away or snap off while new growth comes out of the scalp. So yes, eventually you will have a new head of hair. The damaged ends will be shed/snapped/worn away over time; you might be able to get away without trimming, just keep an eye on them and make sure the splits aren’t causing more grief. If they don’t, awesome; you lucky person. If they do, don’t panic; just snip the strand just above the split.

Will do. Will keep an eye on them. Thank you.

Meant to be ;) Best of luck!

hehe yeah, guess it is. :)

And thanks to everyone else who replied. :)