PDA

View Full Version : Essential and carrier oils!!! Please help.

Ariel love
March 21st, 2018, 08:23 AM
Hey everyone,
I have noticed that recently my hair has gotten brittle and dry and I have been experiencing little breakage. I have heard a lot about essential oils and it's benefits but I am not sure about it. I have heard that it has to be diluted in carrier oils. I am not very good at selecting right productyand end up with something useless.

So, I just wanted to know of any of you are using any kind of essential oil. Are they healthy and safe? And what oils do you use?

I really need help about it. Thank you.

Nightshade
March 21st, 2018, 08:48 AM
To answer your questions first:

1- I use a TON of essential oils, both for personal and professional use. They are healthy and safe if used correctly (never taken internally, used at proper dilution, etc.)

2- a good ratio of dilution is outlined in this chart (https://www.rockymountainoils.com/dilution-rate/). More is NOT better for Essential Oils and can be very dangerous.

Which essential oils you use really depends on your goal. Keep in mind that your hair is not going to experience less breakage with the application of essential oils. They are not moisturizing, and since your hair is 'dead' the plant compounds have very little effect other than aroma on your length. Most essential oil uses target the scalp as they can be absorbed into the skin around the hair root.

Carrier oils themselves are also not moisturizing.

Stealing this from my blog:

THE MYTH ABOUT MOISTURIZING OIL

There’s a myth out there that oils are moisturizing, when in reality they aren’t in the most true sense of the word. What they do is impart important lipids and fatty acids, which add softness and flexibility to the hair shaft. Oils are also emollients, more specifically, occlusives, which form a thin, moisture-locking barrier atop the skin and hair cells that reduces the evaporation of moisture. If your hair is very dry oiling might help a bit by replenishing critical fatty acids and by helping it keep whatever small amount of moisture it has inside of it, but it cannot actually moisturize the hair on its own.

The most effective way to go about moisturizing, then, is to:

--Impart moisture using mositure rich ingredients and humecents
--Keep moisture inside the hair by using an emollent / occlusive

If your hair is very dry and breaking, I suggest clarifying first, to remove any buildup on your hair.

Then, give it a long soak in a cheap conditioner without silicone (slather up damp hair with conditioner, wrap it around your head, cover with plastic wrap, put on a warm hat and leave it for 30 minutes to an hour).

After you rinse that out, then you could lightly oil with a carrier oil with essential oils in it :)

Do you know what's causing your dryness / breakage?

Ariel love
March 21st, 2018, 08:58 AM

1- I use a TON of essential oils, both for personal and professional use. They are healthy and safe if used correctly (never taken internally, used at proper dilution, etc.)

2- a good ratio of dilution is outlined in this chart (https://www.rockymountainoils.com/dilution-rate/). More is NOT better for Essential Oils and can be very dangerous.

Which essential oils you use really depends on your goal. Keep in mind that your hair is not going to experience less breakage with the application of essential oils. They are not moisturizing, and since your hair is 'dead' the plant compounds have very little effect other than aroma on your length. Most essential oil uses target the scalp as they can be absorbed into the skin around the hair root.

If your hair is very dry and breaking, I suggest clarifying first, to remove any buildup on your hair.

Then, give it a long soak in a cheap conditioner without silicone (slather up damp hair with conditioner, wrap it around your head, cover with plastic wrap, put on a warm hat and leave it for 30 minutes to an hour).

After you rinse that out, then you could lightly oil with a carrier oil with essential oils in it :)

Thank you soo much, I had always thought that oils moisturize hair by penetrating it but alas I was wrong. I don't think I will really be investing in essential oil cause my main concern hair dry ends. I am surely going to try your conditioner method again thank you.

Yes and the major factor for my hair being dry and brittle is due to the pollution here in Kathmandu. It is one of the most polluted cities in the work and even a scarf around my hair is not enough to save my hair from the pollution.

nycelle
March 21st, 2018, 08:59 AM

Thank you for posting this. I noticed that while I love argan oil, it did nothing for moisturizing my hair no matter how much I oiled it. It worked best when my hair was dry, and I used it to tame frizz. But it sill needed to be re-applied every few hours. The nice thing about it is it's natural.

Nightshade
March 21st, 2018, 09:19 AM
Thank you soo much, I had always thought that oils moisturize hair by penetrating it but alas I was wrong. I don't think I will really be investing in essential oil cause my main concern hair dry ends. I am surely going to try your conditioner method again thank you.

Yes and the major factor for my hair being dry and brittle is due to the pollution here in Kathmandu. It is one of the most polluted cities in the work and even a scarf around my hair is not enough to save my hair from the pollution.

I'm so sorry to hear about the pollution! I do think that what your hair likely needs is a good clarifying treatment and moisture :)

Thank you for posting this. I noticed that while I love argan oil, it did nothing for moisturizing my hair no matter how much I oiled it. It worked best when my hair was dry, and I used it to tame frizz. But it sill needed to be re-applied every few hours. The nice thing about it is it's natural.

You're so welcome! It's a super-common misconception :)

Larki
March 21st, 2018, 09:42 AM
Beware if you have a cat, certain essential oils are highly toxic to cats.

lapushka
March 21st, 2018, 01:37 PM
I second the clarifying + good moisturizing conditioner! :)