PDA

View Full Version : How to avoid having one piece pulled too tight in a sleep hairstyle?

Kae612
March 20th, 2018, 09:01 PM
My hair is getting to a length where my violent sleeping is becoming a problem. I woke up like 5 times last night because my hair got tangled in my hands under my arm etc.

I have tried braiding and bunning my hair to sleep, and sometimes it’s worked great! But others there’s one strand pulled too tight, so I loosen it, and I find another, and then suddenly there’s part that’s pulling and it hurts so I have to take it down.

The thing is I have no idea how to avoid it. I feel like I make my loose braid the same way, trying to hold it loosely and hold it in different directions so nothing is tugging. But sometimes there’s still a piece - and when I re-do it there is another one. I don’t know how it happens!

I feel kind of dumb because I see people wear buns and braids to sleep constantly, and lots of people don’t have that issue with regular hairstyles either (I do too). I’m detangling first before braiding/bunning and it doesn’t mean the too-tight bit won’t happen.

Maybe it’s a thing where you just get the hang of it over time idk? but any suggestions would be welcome! I did my best tonight but I just couldn’t avoid having some hairs pulled too tight so I don’t know if I’ll manage to leave this up.

Spikey
March 20th, 2018, 09:40 PM
I notice that happens to me too! I think that I get those wierd pulled sections when I accidentally mix up a few hairs from one strand to another. If you're braiding loosely, and holding your sections loosely as you braid, you're going to have a lot of hairs getting pulled into the wrong strand because sections will slip out of your loose fingers and get mixed up, thus pulling oddly on your scalp. Try a tighter grip and a tighter braid, and as you braid, make sure there are no stray hairs between your fingers.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 20th, 2018, 09:53 PM
Wear a sleep cap, your hair will be loose but out of the way.

yahirwaO.o
March 21st, 2018, 12:02 AM
My only suggestion would to fully make sure that your hair is completely detangled, paying attention which type of hair toy or elastics im using to secure and adding a bit of oil or any moisturizer.

I often got those because my hair was not detangled correctly and also dryness kinda made it easier to tangling while I was brading. Also some types of hair elastics are worse than others. (In my case baby little hair ties or scrunchies work fine)

Instead of one bun or braid, you could try two?

If nothing works I suggest investing in a sleep cap as well. Try to practice and before heading to bed, try to move your head as you your sleeping moves if it hurts re do it.

hayheadsbird
March 21st, 2018, 12:44 AM
Wear a sleep cap, your hair will be loose but out of the way.

I concur.

I just got a sleep cap and tried it for the first time last night. Was so much more comfortable than sleppimg with a plait, and although loose is comfortable in terms of initially going to sleep I catch on it over night as well. Sleep cap looks like it might have sorted both issues, as well as minimising tangles to virtually none in the morning.

Simsy
March 21st, 2018, 05:25 AM
Find your sweet spot for pins/clips/bun position. If they are in the wrong spot, they pull on hairs, tug in weird directions or come loose altogether. If I can get them in the right spot; and after a while you will learn where your sweet spots are; I can’t even feel the bun. Currently I’m using small clips in a single braided bun; but I have used the same idea for bobby pins as well as milkmaid braids and vortex buns.

I leave my hair in a braided bun from Sunday night to Saturday morning. I will usually realise I have stuffed up a pin/clip less than 10mins after putting the bun because something will always pull. If I do it right, I will forget I even have hair pinned up by the time I go to bed.

Stray_mind
March 21st, 2018, 06:37 AM
I agree with the sleep cap option. Although i have never used it, but i think it should contain your hair and keep it out of the way really well.

lapushka
March 21st, 2018, 07:10 AM
I just double my hair and clip the tail-end up my head with a medium claw-clip. I'm a side sleeper, so it's no issue. I have just started doing that since my hair is starting to get in the way when I go to the toilet in the middle of the night.