PDA

View Full Version : Hair doesn't grow when I'm pregnant!

cm006j
March 20th, 2018, 12:09 PM
I always hear how your hair is supposed to get so thick and lucious when you are pregnant. I've never heard of it not growing!

Here is a picture of my first pregnancy. So these three pictures span nine months. You would think I'd have at least four inches of growth. My hair normally grows in a very standard way.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/814/26048972897_2ea65faa3c_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/FFRN7n)

This was two years ago and now I'm pregnant again. My hair has grown to just barely brushing tailbone and now it is stuck again. I'll have to wait until July for my hair to start growing again!

This happen to anyone else?

Suze
March 20th, 2018, 12:15 PM
My sister had a huge stall during pregnancy, but it still grew a bit I think? She didn't have to deal wiyh post natal shedding though so that was a plus. Congrats on your pregnancy!

lapushka
March 20th, 2018, 12:15 PM
I do seem to see a few cms of growth between pic 2 & 3, though.

Congrats on baby N°2. :)

cm006j
March 20th, 2018, 12:27 PM
Thanks, guys! :)

It's true I didn't have any shedding, so it's all worth it for that!

school of fish
March 20th, 2018, 12:54 PM
My hair seemed to defy the pregnancy odds in a different way - it behaved exactly the same as when not pregnant. Same growth rate, same shed rate, same thickness, same everything. I never got to experience that classic 'glorious pregnancy hair' thing, but I also never had to suffer the classic post-partum shed either ;)

That said - since my last pregnancy about 4 years ago my hair has been growing in wavy. After decades of 1a hair I'm becoming a whole new texture. Hormones are weird :P

fhairyqueen
March 20th, 2018, 01:18 PM
Now that you mentioned it , the time when I was stressing about my hair not growing or barely growing I was pregnant !!! This was not long after my heavy bleaching that snapped my hair off . At the time I thought something was medically wrong with me or that it was my age (27 at the time ) I’m now 29 and it’s growing much faster than it was back then for sure .... I wonder if it was a pregnancy thing

AmaryllisRed
March 20th, 2018, 01:25 PM
My last pregnancy I saw very little growth. I nursed through the first five months, so I just figured the babies (in my belly and nursing-- both girls) got all the hair-growing stuff during that time.
It grew as normal during my first three pregnancies, though.

fhairyqueen
March 20th, 2018, 01:35 PM
That’s odd mine was my fourth pregnancy too !! I had zero issues with previous pregnancies too! That’s why I assumed I had a medical issue or something as I had previously had no issues growing hair during pregnancy three times so I ruled it out being the cause
My first was a boy - wasn’t keeping an eye on my hair so can’t judge
Second and third both girls and it definitely grew normally as I had cut a lot off my hair down to collar bone from waist and it grew back again
Fourth - a boy ... barely any growth

My last pregnancy I saw very little growth. I nursed through the first five months, so I just figured the babies (in my belly and nursing-- both girls) got all the hair-growing stuff during that time.
It grew as normal during my first three pregnancies, though.

lapushka
March 20th, 2018, 02:02 PM
This is just a theory but...

Hair or nails are the last things to receive nutrients, isn't it? Maybe the baby is needing so many nutrients from you that there is not sufficient for hair growth. Not meaning to alarm you but maybe getting that checked wouldn't be a bad thing.

I know my mom lost 3 teeth during pregnancy because I was running away with all of her calcium (no prenatals at that time; early 70s - Belgium).

wannabe-rusalka
March 20th, 2018, 08:59 PM

Hair or nails are the last things to receive nutrients, isn't it? Maybe the baby is needing so many nutrients from you that there is not sufficient for hair growth. Not meaning to alarm you but maybe getting that checked wouldn't be a bad thing.

I know my mom lost 3 teeth during pregnancy because I was running away with all of her calcium (no prenatals at that time; early 70s - Belgium).

My mom actually lost a ton of weight during her pregnancy with me. She was on prenatals and had never really drank so the prepregnancy weight wasn't from that. She never experienced morning sickness either. I just sucked the nutrients right out of her I guess. My sister experienced the same thing but I think her weight loss was more from not drinking.

fhairyqueen
March 21st, 2018, 12:50 PM
This is accurate good advice as you’ve just reminded me I was dangerously low on iron in my last pregnancy when I said I had no hair growth . It can’t just be a coincidence
I was barely able to stay awake
I had to take a lot of iron and even then I still bled a lot during the birth as I couldn’t stomach to take the iron pills as I should have ....
this could have all been avoided if I just took the pills I was told to take
It’s definitely worth getting checked out
Just in case

enting
March 29th, 2018, 04:36 PM
It's also normal for women to go slightly hypothyroid when pregnant. Usually it's not enough to feel much of a difference in the day to day, but if that's a factor it could be enough to slow down your hair growth.

cm006j
February 2nd, 2020, 09:12 AM
Well I didn’t think I had any postpartum shedding but I must have because I have so much regrowth right now! I’ve got a huge halo of hair that’s about five inches long lol

GoddesJourney
February 2nd, 2020, 05:33 PM
My hair grew at a normal rate but slowed down in shedding a bit. I got the horrible postpartum hsdd though, so I ended up cutting back to a little past shoulder from hip. That was a bummer. Just now back at waist.

I guess it's true that everyone is different and every pregnancy can be different too. I knew a woman who's hair changed forever in texter and became much drier after her first kid. Some people get stretch Mark's and others don't. Cravings, morning sickness, sex drive...no predictable outcomes for anyone.

Sorry your hair has slowed down, but at least it picks back up. The shed is awful so be happy you didn't get it. You look like a super happy mom in your picture. Also, congratulations on being pregnant again.

cm006j
February 2nd, 2020, 06:40 PM
My hair grew at a normal rate but slowed down in shedding a bit. I got the horrible postpartum hsdd though, so I ended up cutting back to a little past shoulder from hip. That was a bummer. Just now back at waist.

I guess it's true that everyone is different and every pregnancy can be different too. I knew a woman who's hair changed forever in texter and became much drier after her first kid. Some people get stretch Mark's and others don't. Cravings, morning sickness, sex drive...no predictable outcomes for anyone.

Sorry your hair has slowed down, but at least it picks back up. The shed is awful so be happy you didn't get it. You look like a super happy mom in your picture. Also, congratulations on being pregnant again.

I’m sorry you had to cut so much! It’s so true everyone is different. I’m relieved my growth is back to normal and in the almost four years since my son was born I’m nice and long again!