PDA

View Full Version : Fine hair bun styles to make bun look bigger?

tangocurl
March 19th, 2018, 09:57 PM
Hi all,

A while back there was a thread about messy buns without backcombing. It was a variation of a nautilus bun, I think.

I’m looking for suggestions, videos, tutorials, etc on bun styles for fine, thin APL-ish Hair that will make the hair look bigger!

I can do a lot of different buns, but they all tend to look like small, dry wild animal droppings and not like “styles” since my hair is not thick.....

thank you all 🤓

cjk
March 19th, 2018, 10:25 PM
Must it be a bun, specifically?

As my hair grows longer I'm finding all sorts of ways to style it. Learned to use a hair fork today. French twist, ponytail, braid, And even learned to use combs. Lots of updos.

But I admit I don't yet have enough for a bun. Except that pathetic little man bun poof...and I'm not going to wear one of those.

So...why a bun specifically?

yahirwaO.o
March 19th, 2018, 11:25 PM
Well one of the oldest LHC member nickname Artic uploaded some hair friendly manners of making a bigger bun for fine hair to youtube.

I hope someone is willing to post it cause I can't find it, gotta say it is very good.

Personally my length doesn't even make a decent bun yet but I can cheat big buns easily.

1) Twisting the bun flat, pulling out sides of it before or after securing it helps. Pulling bits more and tadah I have a way bigger bun.
2) Classic sock bun. Fastest trick and I try to do it semi messy so it doesn't look too neat. Fake sock buns do it for me too but it involves using elastics.
3) Elastic fan out buns. Generally messy buns look fuller but for most LHC Community messy and elastics don´t get along well. I don´t mind it for me.
4) Certains buns like lazy wraps and figure 8 make it look full to, however im not sure if you are familiar with typical LHC Techniques and hair toys. Im sure someone will eventually post.

Whatever don´t feel bad, it is fairly easy to master a full looking bun. However sometimes I just embrace my natural texture and work the punny little bun just like so. It is usually a good look if you pull it off with confidence.

tangocurl
March 20th, 2018, 10:18 AM
Must it be a bun, specifically?

As my hair grows longer I'm finding all sorts of ways to style it. Learned to use a hair fork today. French twist, ponytail, braid, And even learned to use combs. Lots of updos.

But I admit I don't yet have enough for a bun. Except that pathetic little man bun poof...and I'm not going to wear one of those.

So...why a bun specifically?

Haha. Man bun. Typically those need some TLC and LHC treatment! You’ll surpass the dudes in no time...

I wore a lot of French twist, tails-up type ‘dos when I was at shoulder, but now my tails are too long for these styles to be protective.

And if I put an extra twist in them, my hair ends up setting in some very weird shapes. My hair has plenty of Wurl, and is easily “set” how I style it.

So....buns....they enclose and protect the delicate ends ��

tangocurl
March 20th, 2018, 10:21 AM
Well one of the oldest LHC member nickname Artic uploaded some hair friendly manners of making a bigger bun for fine hair to youtube.

I hope someone is willing to post it cause I can't find it, gotta say it is very good.

Personally my length doesn't even make a decent bun yet but I can cheat big buns easily.

1) Twisting the bun flat, pulling out sides of it before or after securing it helps. Pulling bits more and tadah I have a way bigger bun.
2) Classic sock bun. Fastest trick and I try to do it semi messy so it doesn't look too neat. Fake sock buns do it for me too but it involves using elastics.
3) Elastic fan out buns. Generally messy buns look fuller but for most LHC Community messy and elastics don´t get along well. I don´t mind it for me.
4) Certains buns like lazy wraps and figure 8 make it look full to, however im not sure if you are familiar with typical LHC Techniques and hair toys. Im sure someone will eventually post.

Whatever don´t feel bad, it is fairly easy to master a full looking bun. However sometimes I just embrace my natural texture and work the punny little bun just like so. It is usually a good look if you pull it off with confidence.

Thank you. I haven’t tried a sock bun. I look kind of like a poodle with a messy top knot style. My figure 8 and lazy wrap look exactly the same....small and tight. If I use two hair sticks they look bigger, but I would like something I can do with one stick too...maybe I just need to be patient!

bparnell75
March 20th, 2018, 10:47 AM
My hair is fine too so when I was BSL I created the Spock bun to make my buns look larger.

Agnieszka
March 20th, 2018, 11:39 AM
I have thin and fine APLhair and my buns are pretty decent! All I do is fake it a little bit :-) I do pony tail with seriously thick and fluffy hair band (very safe for my hair, soft like a scrunchie and I'm not wearing it tight) in the colour of my hair and I wrap my hair around it with plenty of air space inside.

I kind of sculpture the hair in a shape of bun around it. I can take photo for you in the next few days if you would like to see what I mean. I secure end of my wrapped hair with mini claw clip. I can't accept my natural mini bun and that method works for me.

tangocurl
March 20th, 2018, 02:16 PM
I have thin and fine APLhair and my buns are pretty decent! All I do is fake it a little bit :-) I do pony tail with seriously thick and fluffy hair band (very safe for my hair, soft like a scrunchie and I'm not wearing it tight) in the colour of my hair and I wrap my hair around it with plenty of air space inside.

I kind of sculpture the hair in a shape of bun around it. I can take photo for you in the next few days if you would like to see what I mean. I secure end of my wrapped hair with mini claw clip. I can't accept my natural mini bun and that method works for me.

Very nice -- have you tried it with a single hairstick?

My hair is fine too so when I was BSL I created the Spock bun to make my buns look larger.

I will look for a tutorial for this!

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 20th, 2018, 09:15 PM
What I do is, make a high (or low) pony, split the pony tail in half and take one half and “cinnabun” it around the tied middle. Take the other half of hair and spin it around the tied bit going the other way around. I usually use spin pins to hold them in place. Don’t know if there’s a name for this bun but it makes big buns for my otherwise fine hair.

tangocurl
March 21st, 2018, 08:30 AM
What I do is, make a high (or low) pony, split the pony tail in half and take one half and “cinnabun” it around the tied middle. Take the other half of hair and spin it around the tied bit going the other way around. I usually use spin pins to hold them in place. Don’t know if there’s a name for this bun but it makes big buns for my otherwise fine hair.

Very good idea!

Lokasigdr
March 21st, 2018, 09:56 PM
When my hair was that length, I would do it up in three bobby-pinned buns in a line. i.e. one bun for the topmost section of hair (from hairline in the front to crown in the back), a second underneath for the section between hairline and ears, a third to catch whatever was left on the bottom. I wish I could post a picture. If you twist your hair very loosely, it should help give the impression of volume and give it a charmingly messy look. But with multiple stacked buns, it looked good enough that even really tiny buns got a lot of compliments.