PDA

View Full Version : Protective hair wraps for sleeping?

Mlarmour
March 17th, 2018, 05:46 PM
I’m new to the whole protective styles for sleeping, and I was wondering if there is anything like a wrap or something I could put on my hair to protect it at night.
I can be a pretty violent sleeper with all my tossing and turning, I’ve been known to pull out chunks of hair in my sleep before, so I want to protect my hair as much as possible. I’ve found sleeping in braids to be uncomfortable and having my hair down isn’t protecting it. My hair seems to be best protected when I’m sleeping in oils overnight and have clingfilmed my head to keep the heat it. It’s the only time I don’t wiggle out or rip off what’s on my hair like I did the shower cap or that one time I used a hat when I deep conditioned overnight.

If anyone has any other suggestions I’m open to them.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 17th, 2018, 06:04 PM
I use a sleep cap from Adorabellababy on Etsy, they are excellent, and greatly reduce tangling!

Larki
March 17th, 2018, 06:26 PM
Seconding the adorabellababy cap! You could also braid it and wrap the braid with a silk scarf. If you move a lot in your sleep, you'll need an eye mask or something to keep the cap on your head.

Ophidian
March 18th, 2018, 12:08 PM
I braid and wrap in a silk scarf. It took me a bit of trial and error, but I found a few ways of tying it that stay on all night and I can be a pretty restless sleeper.

hayheadsbird
March 20th, 2018, 03:11 PM
I'm literally sitting in bed with a sleep cap on for the first time. Looking forward to seeing if I can actually keep it on all night, but have to say it's pretty comfortable so far!

cathair
March 20th, 2018, 04:26 PM
I've been happily using slumbernets for six months now:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4382/36370562950_9e98cc17da_z.jpg

Advantages over a sleep cap for me are:

- Doesn't get in my eyes
- Not so tight on my head
- Very lightweight compared to a sleep cap
- Doesn't make my head hot, so I can actually keep it on
- Cheap as chips, although need replacing once a month because the elastic stretches. Can tighten it up by throwing if in the wash the first few times.
- I feel like less of a pillock, but I do look like a dinner lady. So that one's swings and roundabouts really.

Seems to provide all the same non-tangling benefits as a sleep cap to me.

Lady Stardust
March 20th, 2018, 04:50 PM

- Doesn't get in my eyes
- Cheap as chips, although need replacing once a month because the elastic stretches. Can tighten it up by throwing if in the wash the first few times.
- I feel like less of a pillock, but I do look like a dinner lady. So that one's swings and roundabouts really.

Oh what a lovely way with words :-) As long as you don’t wear a tabard and wander around with a ladle. Try and channel 1940s snood instead :-)

Shorty89
March 20th, 2018, 05:05 PM
I braid and wrap in a silk scarf. It took me a bit of trial and error, but I found a few ways of tying it that stay on all night and I can be a pretty restless sleeper.

How do you get it all wrapped in a silk scarf so it covers the ends? I tried with a cheap scarf and it didn't work very well.

cathair
March 20th, 2018, 05:13 PM
Oh what a lovely way with words :-) As long as you don’t wear a tabard and wander around with a ladle. Try and channel 1940s snood instead :-)

:hmm: wearing a tabard to bed! Oh course. That's where I've been going wrong. It's so obvious now you point it out :) :D

The channel snood are definitely more glamorous :)

Mlarmour
March 20th, 2018, 05:34 PM

- Doesn't get in my eyes

Oh I forgot slumber nets were a thing. I used to use them to put my hair up in a bun when I was in the army cadets as a teen as I kept ripping the hair nets for buns we were meant to use. I was going through at least 4 bun nets a month either putting my fingers through them or getting them caught during field craft, but slumber nets were a lot more sturdy. I think I ripped maybe 2 in 3 years. I’ll have to give them a try.

Ophidian
March 20th, 2018, 05:56 PM
How do you get it all wrapped in a silk scarf so it covers the ends? I tried with a cheap scarf and it didn't work very well.

One of two ways (bear with me on the explanations ;)):

1) drape flat edge of large square scarf across back of neck like a cape. Pull ends together at forehead and tie. Take other flat edge (bottom of “cape”) at each corner and draw up to your forehead over the knot, creating a pocket in the back for your hair to drop into. Draw corners together at the nape and tie. If I have a single braid I’ll wrap it around the base once before tying.

2) fold same large square scarf in half on a diagonal so you have a triangle. Bend head forward and drape long edge across the back of your neck so all three corners are hanging in front of you. Draw them all together snugly at your forehead and twist them into a cinnamon bun. I can secure it just by tucking the last bit under the rest, but it probably depends on the scarf. This is a bit less secure but still stays on all night.

I usually use #1 with a single braid with almost BSL hair, but will have to adjust it once my braid is longer (maybe sewing two scarves together or getting a large rectangular one so “bag” part is deeper). #2 I usually use when I am going to do two braids, and then I just wrap them around my head under the scarf. I use a 3’ by 3’ silk scarf for both. I hope this is helpful, let me know if you have any questions or need clarification!

Shorty89
March 20th, 2018, 09:02 PM
One of two ways (bear with me on the explanations ;)):

1) drape flat edge of large square scarf across back of neck like a cape. Pull ends together at forehead and tie. Take other flat edge (bottom of “cape”) at each corner and draw up to your forehead over the knot, creating a pocket in the back for your hair to drop into. Draw corners together at the nape and tie. If I have a single braid I’ll wrap it around the base once before tying.

2) fold same large square scarf in half on a diagonal so you have a triangle. Bend head forward and drape long edge across the back of your neck so all three corners are hanging in front of you. Draw them all together snugly at your forehead and twist them into a cinnamon bun. I can secure it just by tucking the last bit under the rest, but it probably depends on the scarf. This is a bit less secure but still stays on all night.

I usually use #1 with a single braid with almost BSL hair, but will have to adjust it once my braid is longer (maybe sewing two scarves together or getting a large rectangular one so “bag” part is deeper). #2 I usually use when I am going to do two braids, and then I just wrap them around my head under the scarf. I use a 3’ by 3’ silk scarf for both. I hope this is helpful, let me know if you have any questions or need clarification!

Hmmm, i don't know if I could tolerate something tied on my head, which is why I dn't use sleep caps. I toss and turn a lot too, so I'd worry that it would slide off quickly

Ophidian
March 20th, 2018, 10:04 PM
Yeah, it works for me but I’m sure it’s not for everyone. Sorry if I misunderstood your question, I just can’t think of any way to keep a scarf on without tying it.

Shorty89
March 22nd, 2018, 08:09 PM
Yeah, it works for me but I’m sure it’s not for everyone. Sorry if I misunderstood your question, I just can’t think of any way to keep a scarf on without tying it.

Yeah, I know. Unfortunately, I think it would bug me. I tried it for a few mintues last night before I went to sleep, and the knot didn't bug me then. But, the darned thing slid right off my head! Darn flat head!

Kat
March 23rd, 2018, 08:24 AM
clingfilmed my head to keep the heat it. It’s the only time I don’t wiggle out or rip off what’s on my hair like I did the shower cap or that one time I used a hat when I deep conditioned overnight.

If anyone has any other suggestions I’m open to them.

Swimming cap? I suppose if you don't mind plastic wrap, you might not mind the swim cap, as long as it's not too tight for you. It would be snug to stay put but hopefully not fiddly enough that you'd manage to pull it off.

cjk
March 23rd, 2018, 09:57 AM
I just experimented last night. Used a spandex buff I usually keep in the car. In the skullcap configuration.

Seems to have worked quite well.

Lisa Long4Life
March 24th, 2018, 09:19 AM
I use a sleep cap from Adorabellababy on Etsy, they are excellent, and greatly reduce tangling!

I love those, was thinking of buying one but its £12.44 Shipping to the Uk which makes it nearly £50 for the cap. :(

I use a Stay On Satin one at the moment, but the band was too tight when I got it so I snipped it, and now it comes off. I have to use 2 bobby pins to secure it.
Also I think a silk one would be better.
Maybe will try slumber nets. I don't like braiding because I prefer to have straight hair rather than braid waves.

ETA found a lady in scotland who can make me a custom order :)

Prism
March 24th, 2018, 11:09 AM
To those of you wearing the Adorabella sleep bonnets, what do you do with your hair under the bonnet? Do you just push it all up in the bonnet, or do you braid it or something and then put that in the cap? I've used a silk pillowcase for a long time, but am thinking about making a change. Thanks!

Mlarmour
March 26th, 2018, 05:47 PM
Swimming cap? I suppose if you don't mind plastic wrap, you might not mind the swim cap, as long as it's not too tight for you. It would be snug to stay put but hopefully not fiddly enough that you'd manage to pull it off.

I think it would stay on, but I don’t think I’d manage to get it on myself. When I used to swim, I always needed help getting it on and now I’m in too much pain to do it myself.

I love those, was thinking of buying one but its £12.44 Shipping to the Uk which makes it nearly £50 for the cap. :(

I use a Stay On Satin one at the moment, but the band was too tight when I got it so I snipped it, and now it comes off. I have to use 2 bobby pins to secure it.
Maybe will try slumber nets. I don't like braiding because I prefer to have straight hair rather than braid waves.

Ooh, I’d be interested in knowing who can custom make them if you’re able to share. The cost of shipping to the UK has put me off them, I just can’t justify it especially while I’m not in work.

Lisa Long4Life
March 28th, 2018, 03:51 PM
I think it would stay on, but I don’t think I’d manage to get it on myself. When I used to swim, I always needed help getting it on and now I’m in too much pain to do it myself.

Ooh, I’d be interested in knowing who can custom make them if you’re able to share. The cost of shipping to the UK has put me off them, I just can’t justify it especially while I’m not in work.

Its a seller called Nnembas on etsy. She has one silk cap on her listings, and some satin ones. But I asked for a custom order in a particular colour. I can let you know how it is when it gets here, but her feedback is good so far.

Kae612
March 29th, 2018, 10:27 PM

- Doesn't get in my eyes

Wow this looks cool! I’ll have to check it out- I’m sensitive to textures & I didn’t want to spend a ton on a sleep cap because I thought I’d likely toss & turn or just tear it off from irritation/heat. Lightness sounds wonderful.

What’s your strategy for containing hair while wearing these? A bun/braid/etc? Any clips/pins/elastics?

cathair
March 30th, 2018, 05:48 AM
Wow this looks cool! I’ll have to check it out- I’m sensitive to textures & I didn’t want to spend a ton on a sleep cap because I thought I’d likely toss & turn or just tear it off from irritation/heat. Lightness sounds wonderful.

What’s your strategy for containing hair while wearing these? A bun/braid/etc? Any clips/pins/elastics?

I usually make a loose lazy wrap bun, but don't secure it. It keeps it just contained enough and helps me get all the hair under there. It doesn't matter if the bun falls apart when it's in there. I'll make the bun, lean my head forward to it's parallel with the floor and balance the bun on the back of my head while I put the net on.

I use the swimming cap method of putting the net on, using two hands:

https://www.headcovers.com/how-to-put-on-a-swim-cap/

Once the loose bun is made, it's really quick. Takes about 2 seconds to get the net on. Which is about the correct level of effort for me :D I hope it works for you too :)

Kae612
March 30th, 2018, 09:06 AM
I usually make a loose lazy wrap bun, but don't secure it. It keeps it just contained enough and helps me get all the hair under there. It doesn't matter if the bun falls apart when it's in there. I'll make the bun, lean my head forward to it's parallel with the floor and balance the bun on the back of my head while I put the net on.

I use the swimming cap method of putting the net on, using two hands:

https://www.headcovers.com/how-to-put-on-a-swim-cap/

Once the loose bun is made, it's really quick. Takes about 2 seconds to get the net on. Which is about the correct level of effort for me :D I hope it works for you too :)

Ooo cool, thank you! Lazy wraps won't stay for a bit without being secured somehow, but maybe I could remove a small stick through the netting after - I'll definitely look into where to get these & try it out :)

lapushka
March 30th, 2018, 10:38 AM

- Doesn't get in my eyes

I never realized these were called slumbernets. My mom has a scarf-type one (triangle, no elastic) for covering her rollerset. It's really great if you want your hair to dry while having rollers in!

hayheadsbird
March 30th, 2018, 12:57 PM

Its a seller called Nnembas on etsy. She has one silk cap on her listings, and some satin ones. But I asked for a custom order in a particular colour. I can let you know how it is when it gets here, but her feedback is good so far.

Nnembas is where I got mine!
Have to say she was fab to work with and I'm really happy with it :)
I started a thread about her in the products and accessories section.

cathair
March 30th, 2018, 01:49 PM
Ooo cool, thank you! Lazy wraps won't stay for a bit without being secured somehow, but maybe I could remove a small stick through the netting after - I'll definitely look into where to get these & try it out :)

That's a really good idea removing the stick after, I can see that working well :)

I never realized these were called slumbernets. My mom has a scarf-type one (triangle, no elastic) for covering her rollerset. It's really great if you want your hair to dry while having rollers in!

I can't remember how I came across them now. I haven't seen the triangular type, that's interesting :) I ordered a few new ones today, Lion brand. They have chin straps. I am not sure if I will like the strap, but they seemed really good value. Can always cut the strap off if it's annoying.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 30th, 2018, 03:57 PM
To those of you wearing the Adorabella sleep bonnets, what do you do with your hair under the bonnet? Do you just push it all up in the bonnet, or do you braid it or something and then put that in the cap? I've used a silk pillowcase for a long time, but am thinking about making a change. Thanks!

I just remove the stick/fork from my bun at night and put the sleep cap on over the bunned hair. The bun will loosen but of course that doesn't matter. Then next morning I just take the cap off after I am dressed and detangle my hair (there are usually very few tangles, thanks to bunning + the use of the sleep cap. ) You can't get more easycare than that, detangling once a day then up in a bun:)

Khristopher
March 30th, 2018, 08:28 PM
This thread made me curious about sleep caps so I made one for myself with leftover satin I had on hand. I must say I love it! I already used a satin scarf on my pillow but this is much much better. Now I've got to look for fabric to make a silk one...*totally hyped*

Lisa Long4Life
March 31st, 2018, 05:05 AM
Nnembas is where I got mine!
Have to say she was fab to work with and I'm really happy with it :)
I started a thread about her in the products and accessories section.

Mine is on its way. It took her a week which is pretty good, considering she had to get the fabric in for me :)

hayheadsbird
March 31st, 2018, 09:13 AM
Mine is on its way. It took her a week which is pretty good, considering she had to get the fabric in for me :)

Only took about a week for mine as well. Sure you'll love it!

Kae612
April 15th, 2018, 11:28 PM
Sadly it doesn’t look like the slumber nets are sold in Canada, at least not by the name “slumber”. I’m thinking it might exist under a different key word, but I don’t know what to look for. Are there any other synonymous products you know of?

Mlarmour
April 28th, 2018, 09:11 PM
So I’ve ben testing out a slumber net and so far so good. It’s not slipped off and has been comfortable to sleep in. I just twist my hair up and then slip on the slumber net.

Sadly it doesn’t look like the slumber nets are sold in Canada, at least not by the name “slumber”. I’m thinking it might exist under a different key word, but I don’t know what to look for. Are there any other synonymous products you know of?
Have you tried looking for a heavy weight hair net? Or maybe those caps older ladies use to keep their rollers in? In my experience they’re just thicker, more durable hair nets.