PDA

View Full Version : Blunt hemline (maintence?)

petcrazy18
March 17th, 2018, 11:01 AM
Been growing my hair 6 or so years and finally reached the top of my thighs.
Wanting to clean up my hemline, I went to see a hairdresser who told me 2 inches ‘had to go’ to get it back to a blunt hemline. I was mildly traumatized afterwards but settled on being okay with losing some inches initially if it could be maintained.

So I think my question to you guys is: how often do you microtrim 1/4inch off to maintain a blunt hemline whilst reaching your desired length? (Mine is knee length)

Side note: hairdresser said I should see her every 4-6 months since hair this long is too hard to cut alone. Welcomed advice but ah.. I’m uncomfortable with the possibility of losing 4 inches a year. So how do you guys trim blunt cuts by yourself? Any weird angles you have to do?

Cg
March 17th, 2018, 11:14 AM
I use Feye's method every six weeks, couldn't be easier. The amount cut varies bc sometimes it grows more than other times, but I do keep my hemline blunt and still growing. Depending on the rate your hair grows, you might elect to trim earlier or later than every six weeks, that's just what works for me.

Congratulations on thigh length!

MusicalSpoons
March 17th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Been growing my hair 6 or so years and finally reached the top of my thighs.
Wanting to clean up my hemline, I went to see a hairdresser who told me 2 inches ‘had to go’ to get it back to a blunt hemline. I was mildly traumatized afterwards but settled on being okay with losing some inches initially if it could be maintained.

So I think my question to you guys is: how often do you microtrim 1/4inch off to maintain a blunt hemline whilst reaching your desired length? (Mine is knee length)

Side note: hairdresser said I should see her every 4-6 months since hair this long is too hard to cut alone. Welcomed advice but ah.. I’m uncomfortable with the possibility of losing 4 inches a year. So how do you guys trim blunt cuts by yourself? Any weird angles you have to do?

No no no no no! It doesn't have to be - I used what I think is Feye's method a couple of times before I got to fingertip length. Whenever I next trim* I will use JJJLonghair's method for longer hair: http://jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/album/JJJ%27s%20Self%20Hair%20Trim%20Method/images/e3489398be3c4bc5bc65074413a2299d_14240519020/:album?css=http://jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/lib/style/newyork.css&css=http://jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/lib/style/type_album.css&css=http://jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/files/custom.css Also with i/ii thickness, whichever method you try really shouldn't be too difficult :)

*No idea when that will be, but not before knee length anyway.

lapushka
March 17th, 2018, 02:55 PM
My hair was a little beyond classic when I maintained it a few years ago. Well, my mom cut a bit off for me. But the methods are legit, whether or not you get someone to help you or not. There's Feye's and there's the compact cut method for layers. I do layers (last trim November 2016) so no you don't have to cut that often.

It sort of depends on how fast your hair fairytales and whether or not you want to keep it blunt.

You can easily manage the cut yourself, especially at these lengths it gets easier to do, I find. No need to go see a hairdresser at all! 2 inches is a lot. But you can be glad she "only" cut that much off. I've known a few that weren't that conservative with their loss of length.

Carolyn
March 17th, 2018, 02:59 PM
Yes to Feye's method. It's very easy. Two inches could be very reasonable to get your ends nice and blunt. I'm surprised she didn't say more. I would do with the 2 inches and see what happens over the next months. I'm guessing you could maintain it yourself for quite a while. When you go for your appointment, make sure she shows you how much she is going to cut before she does anything. You could take a friend with you to observe and make sure the trim is only 2".

ETA: I read your post as you were going to go to a stylist, not that you had already been there. If I had your length I don't think I'd find 2" that big of a deal if I was going to get the hemline I wanted. Think of it as a reset for your hair.

enting
March 21st, 2018, 03:09 AM
I'd also recommend learning to cut it yourself. You never know when a hairdresser will decide to take extra off. I also happen to think that midback and longer is *easier* to cut by oneself.
In my opinion, maintaining a blunt cut means tiny, frequent trims. Going every 4-6 months will blunt it at that time but may allow it to start fairytailing in between trims. A friend of mine with gorgeous, long, blunt cut hair does a dusting or microtrims every month. But it really depends on how fast your hair fairytails.

It's possible that you need two inches off to blunt it right now, but it's also possible that less will do the trick. If there's any chance that the hairdresser will want to take off 2 inches at the other times also, it doesn't sound worth it to me to go to her - that would be all of my growth every year, I don't know if it would be all of yours.

Joyful Mystery
March 22nd, 2018, 12:45 PM
I love a blunt hemline. I've been doing the no trimming challenges since December 2016 and my hemline is still relatively blunt. I started off with a blunt bob. My hair seems to grow evenly. Back before I chopped my hair off, my trim schedule was 1" every 6 months just to keep it healthy and to maintain my blunt hemline. But after doing the no trim challenges I see that I don't have to trim as much, no splits so far and a fairly decent hemline that isn't as blunt as I'd like it to be, but once I do trim again, it won't take much to even it up.