PDA

View Full Version : Long hair and being “green”

LawrenceSMarlow
March 17th, 2018, 09:01 AM
I’m interested to hear your experiences of having long hair, and how it fits in with caring for the planet. I made a new year’s resolution to try to make my lifestyle more sustainable. Happily, things that I’m doing for my hair seem to fit in with this so far :D Including:
- stretching washes - washing my hair less frequently = less time in the shower = less water used
- haven’t really used my hairdryer/ straighteners for a while
- using plant oils that tend to come in glass bottles rather than serums that come in plastic

I've had less success with using a solid conditioner bar instead of bottled; I think it was too oily/ shea buttery for CO washing so I’m sticking to bottled for now. But my next conditioner is a faith in nature one that, if I like it, I will be able to get in 5L bottles.

I’d love to hear your ideas! :thumbsup:

ReptilianFeline
March 17th, 2018, 09:37 AM
Using a little bit of coconut oil as a dentagler instead of conbditioner and silicones is a great way. My jar of coconut oil has last since 2013 or so. Still a little on the bottom :D

lithostoic
March 17th, 2018, 10:11 AM
Adding water to conditioner to stretch it ... Did that yesterday.

lapushka
March 17th, 2018, 10:35 AM
I stretch washes now, from 2/3 times a week, to once a week. My scalp was oily but seems to have normalized over the years (there was also a medical issue, but it's a long story and I was able to stretch washes after that). Kind of a coincidence, I think. I'm 45 and nearing menopause, so... things kind of are drying up (;)).

I toweldry for 30-45 min., then airdry for 2-4H, and due to airdrying for such a while, I only need to diffuse for 5 min. to bring it to 90% dry (especially at the roots).

I do use an oil in the rinse-out oil method (signature) but I use a serum in my LOC/LCO method.

I'm not particularly doing it all (the little I do) to be "green" or anything. But I hate having to diffuse for half an hour, and would rather it airdry for a bit before I do that, and by then: only 5 min. will do it! Less effort for me.

Platzhalter
March 17th, 2018, 10:42 AM
I'm hardly a very "green person, but there are a few things on my list of "environment-friendly habits":
- trying to stretch washes as much as possible (while still looking presentable when necessary)
- only use the bare minimum amounts of each product needed
- using disliked hair products for alternative purposes
- taking the clean filtered/distilled/condensed water from the dryer for washing my hair (it's also the only way to get soft water for cheap where we live)

EdG
March 17th, 2018, 12:34 PM
I bet a long-haired person uses less energy for heating than a short-haired person because hair keeps the head warm. :)
Ed

nycelle
March 17th, 2018, 12:48 PM
Nothing consciously. Washing my hair only twice a week, and not using the dryer helps. But I don't do it for green reasons.

For green I recycle, try not to use plastic bags or bottles, use energy efficient appliances and mostly use natural fabrics. Not much different than most here, but I am more mindful of my choices and how they affect the environment.

For my hair though.. I'll do whatever works.

hennalove
March 17th, 2018, 02:21 PM
I'm thankfully not a product junky (personal/household) but I really don't think it is related to having long hair rather to our overall lifestyle. My hair care is really simple. I insist on my shampoo and conditioner being eco-friendly with the lowest EWG rating. For example my Druide termo-protector (seldom used now) has a rating of 0, the best there is and both my Giovanni shampoo and conditioner have a rating of 3, in the green zone. These products are cruelty free and packaged in recyclable containers. Druide in particular is organic and EcoCert. I don't use any silicones or any product with endocrine disruptors, parabens, SLS or sulfates. Dr. Bonners (non-GMO, cruelty free, fair trade, EWG 0, good corporate citizen) pure castile soap is my multi-use soap for personal and household. It can be used as a clarifying shampoo so no need to by another product. combs and brushes are eco-friendly bamboo (BPA-free, biodegradable). I don't use any plastic (clips, combs, brushes) for hair care other than the plastic cap for henna which is washed and reused multiple times. I use organic oils and essential oils as well as make my own serums stored in glass spray or pump bottles. My henna is eco-friendly and organic. The one brand is female owned so that gives back to the community. I really try to be a conscientious consumer. My showers are usually 5 minutes. Aside from henna treatments that are currently increased, I average washing my hair once a week.

LawrenceSMarlow
March 18th, 2018, 06:29 AM
lithostoic I haven’t tried that yet, what did you think of it? I might give it a go next time I wash.

EdG unfortunately that doesn’t seem to work for me, I’m always freezing! But on the other hand, maybe I would be a lot worse if I was bald :D

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

lakhesis
March 18th, 2018, 06:38 AM
I also thought of using products that don't have palm oil based ingredients perhaps ? :)

LawrenceSMarlow
March 18th, 2018, 07:14 AM
That’s a really good one!

zanelle
March 18th, 2018, 07:24 AM
They were definitely greener in the 19th century. And they didn't wash their hair often:
http://leftboob-enthusiast.tumblr.com/post/148997763388/more-legit-gr8er-writing-tips

LawrenceSMarlow
March 18th, 2018, 07:57 AM
That was such an interesting post, thanks! Although none of those women look particularly happy about their hair :D

lapushka
March 18th, 2018, 08:16 AM
I think there's a lot of difference between the classes that they almost pay no mind. I think what the common women did was still vastly different from what upper class or women of wealth did.

The "weekly bath" that I got as a child (yes I was washed daily), to wash the hair mainly, has to come from somewhere, because it was with us for a lot of generations.

Platzhalter
March 18th, 2018, 08:31 AM
There's a huge difference between "doing things a certain way because there is no alternative" and "doing things in a certain way because you want to". Today, most of us have a choice, while in the past, people hardly had the means to bathe more than once a week. Not to mention that some habits were more accepted in the past because the majority of people did it that way.
So I don't really think people were that much greener in the past, at least not because they chose to be green.

zanelle
March 18th, 2018, 08:49 AM
I think there's a lot of difference between the classes that they almost pay no mind. I think what the common women did was still vastly different from what upper class or women of wealth did.

The "weekly bath" that I got as a child (yes I was washed daily), to wash the hair mainly, has to come from somewhere, because it was with us for a lot of generations.
Talking about childhood, I remember my grandma used a metal comb on my hair. I hated it. She also said gas was good for my hair and she applied it with cotton balls on my scalp.

samanthaa
March 18th, 2018, 09:14 AM
Wood comb instead of plastic comb.

Palm-oil free shampoo bar (comes in paper, so also plastic-free).

I do use conditioner in a plastic bottle (I can't find a good alternative for my hair type), but because I only wash once a week, a bottle of conditioner lasts a longggggg time. I only need one or two bottles a year. I use an ACV rinse. My ACV comes in a glass bottle.

I personally use no other products on my hair, so I save a lot of plastic that way. I do have two small glass jars of oil blends, and again, those will take me years to use up.

I don't even own a hairdryer (or straightener or other heat tools).

I keep my hair toy collection small (i.e., buy less, and when I do buy, I try to buy secondhand from the swap board first). This saves on resources, packing materials, and transportation.

A lot of these things I do consciously as an act of producing less waste/using less resources (as I do in other aspects of life), as that's something that's important to me, but conveniently they all work really, really well for my hair.

LawrenceSMarlow
March 18th, 2018, 09:34 AM
She also said gas was good for my hair and she applied it with cotton balls on my scalp.

Oh my goodness! Did she say what the effect was supposed to be?

CindyOfTheOaks
March 18th, 2018, 10:59 AM
I don't know about 'good for your hair' but it was used to kill lice (and still sometimes is - please don't !! )
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/burnt-offering/

zanelle
March 18th, 2018, 11:07 AM
Well she mixed crude oil with castor oil and applied to my scalp. she said it is very good for hair loss even if I didn't lose hair :-D
But she did it for preventing it. Now googling it I found this:
http://www.worldhairresearch.com/?p=419
I wouldn't try it now though. There are so many other more pleasant recipes out there :-)

ravenskey
March 18th, 2018, 12:00 PM
Only wash hair once a week.
I'm vegan so only vegan and cruelty free shampoo and conditioner.
The only other product I use is coconut oil.
I don't own any heat tools.
Only hair things are ties, scrunches, and headbands all of which I have had since I was 12.

Spikey
March 18th, 2018, 12:03 PM
I'm rather new to long hair (at least taking good care of it) but not to being green. I'd say one big issue I've seen so far is the hairsticks/ forks made from exotic woods, things like teak, or ebony. Both of these woods are easy to find as hairsticks or combs, but certain species of these two woods are super exploited and are fast disapearing.

Since most online listings give you only a common name (ie Ebony), it's difficult to know what type of Ebony you have, whether you have African Blackwood (albergia melanoxylon), which is Near Threatened and so not as problematic, or Mun Ebony (diospyros mun) which is Critically Endangered and should not be bought by anyone.

Wooden hair toys may seem more environmentally friendly because they're natural, but unless you really know where the wood is coming from, I'd be careful. It's really helpful to pop over to the ICUN red list website, and just search up the species name to be safe. Or, just make your own! It's pretty fun, honestly. Good to know people are trying to help, these tips all look great :)

Hairkay
March 18th, 2018, 12:06 PM

Also locations of women in those days play a part in hair care. I know in the Caribbean it's popular to shower daily including at least a hair rinse. Not all were fortunate to have piped water in the 19th century but they made do with bucket showers with water supplied from wells, rivers etc or even had sea baths.

Estrid
March 18th, 2018, 12:15 PM
I'm very interested in being more "green" and have made a few very small steps to get better when it comes to my hair. I'm stretching my washes, at the moment I wash my hair about two times a week, in the future I hope to be able to do it once per week, I'm also interested in trying shampoo bars to get rid of the plastic bottle that shampoo normally comes in. I've never heard of conditioner bars before, but that sure sounds interesting as well.

cjk
March 18th, 2018, 12:19 PM
How far "off the deep end" do you want to go?

A reasonable approach is to minimize the materials you use, and that sort of thing. To that end I am a big fan of upcycling materials and when I must buy goods, I buy ones that tend to last instead of viewing them as disposable.

The unreasonable approach is the "carried down the slopes of the Andes on llamas and individually packaged by oompa loompas" stuff.

In keeping with the idea of hair products and toys, I have my eyes open for vintage French combs at garage and estate sales. I much prefer reusing old, but less environmentally friendly, products to buying new because I consider the entire life cycle in my analysis.

And they're usually made better, too.

Going green can be a lot different than most assume.

yahirwaO.o
March 19th, 2018, 11:33 PM
My biggest contribution comes to hardly ever using electric hair stylers.

Blow Drying does spend quite some energy and my hair dries fast anyways.

Also I do my own homemade concoctions of setting lotions and hair sprays. Most are stored in re used spray plastic containers!

Eventually becoming greener and greener is my goal as well!!! :o

TheForestFae
March 20th, 2018, 02:20 AM
I've always care for my hair and for nature. I will try to stretch washes, using more natural remedies for my hair, using products that are free cruelty, no paraben and SLS,... Also using EOs on my hair too!

ReptilianFeline
March 23rd, 2018, 07:22 AM
How far "off the deep end" do you want to go?

A reasonable approach is to minimize the materials you use, and that sort of thing. To that end I am a big fan of upcycling materials and when I must buy goods, I buy ones that tend to last instead of viewing them as disposable.

The unreasonable approach is the "carried down the slopes of the Andes on llamas and individually packaged by oompa loompas" stuff.

In keeping with the idea of hair products and toys, I have my eyes open for vintage French combs at garage and estate sales. I much prefer reusing old, but less environmentally friendly, products to buying new because I consider the entire life cycle in my analysis.

And they're usually made better, too.

Going green can be a lot different than most assume.

I like upcycling and thrift stores/flea markets. I reused the walnut tree from a broken dish drying stand. I also wear a lambs fur coat during the winter. I bought it second hand and it's wind resistant and fairly warm because of the wool on the outside and when it snows or rains it works as well. Keeps me pretty warm and dry when commuting. I have to fix the liner and do other small repairs on it, but i still think it's way better than any man made materials that comes from the oil industry. I assume the lambs that hade the fur before me was eaten after they were slaughtered.

I know a lot of people dislike fur coats and fur trimmings and so on, and so do I, but cow, pig and lamb/sheep whenpart of the humand food chain, should be used to the fullest, so leather and sheep skin and fur is OK by me, especially when baught second hand. It has to be used until it falls apart, then salvage the parts you can use for other things, and let it go back to nature.

cjk
March 23rd, 2018, 09:46 AM
Exactly! Animal products are not inherently bad, but if you take the life of an animal be certain to utilize that resource as much as possible. As you said, cow leather is a perfect example of this.

And renew, reuse, recycle.

It is not some theoretical feel-good buzzword, being "green," but a philosophical approach to life and living which is fundamentally about using resources responsibly.

Reyesuela
March 23rd, 2018, 09:54 AM
Exactly! Animal products are not inherently bad, but if you take the life of an animal be certain to utilize that resource as much as possible. As you said, cow leather is a perfect example of this.

And renew, reuse, recycle.

It is not some theoretical feel-good buzzword, being "green," but a philosophical approach to life and living which is fundamentally about using resources responsibly.

Now we just need a use for cattle anuses.... (Pretty much the only part of the cow that’s discarded today.) ;)

I save on gas to the salon—and then use that gas on my glorious hot baths to treat my chronic pain. ;). Lol.

More seriously...I try not to buy anything I don’t use up because I have a real reason to get it.

lapushka
March 23rd, 2018, 10:32 AM
I've always care for my hair and for nature. I will try to stretch washes, using more natural remedies for my hair, using products that are free cruelty, no paraben and SLS,... Also using EOs on my hair too!

Be sure to dilute your EOs into a carrier oil. A lot of people don't seem to know you can't use EOs straight up on the scalp.

Capybara
March 23rd, 2018, 12:04 PM
I like scalp only washes - no conditioner required, and takes less water.

Install a low-flow showerhead and thermostatic shut off valve in your shower.

Air dry rather than using an electric hair dryer. No/low heat in general, if you can avoid it!

Reyesuela
March 23rd, 2018, 12:06 PM
Thermostatic valves are the bomb anyway. (How out of touch is that phrase, anyway? Lol.). Seriously, they’re the best.

nycelle
March 23rd, 2018, 12:33 PM
We have thermostatic valves in our house. I hate it. Can never get the shower hot enough.
In our apartment where they're just basic pressure balance valves, I'm able to get the temp. I want.

Would never install the thermostatic again.

Reyesuela
March 23rd, 2018, 12:35 PM
You can pop off the cover and change the maximum hot temperature. It’s a safety you can set where you want. Mine could probably scald a chicken.

nycelle
March 23rd, 2018, 12:51 PM
You can pop off the cover and change the maximum hot temperature. It’s a safety you can set where you want. Mine could probably scald a chicken.

Oh man, I wish mine could scald a chicken.

Gonna ask the hubs about changing the max temp. I really want that extremely hot shower up here.

Reyesuela
March 23rd, 2018, 12:59 PM
I’m a paranoid person, so I have my water heater at 160 to prevent legionnaires and a mixing valve to 118 to protect all the household faucets from causing burns. The thermostatic valve can go full hot!

Agnes Hannah
March 24th, 2018, 11:34 AM
I'm hardly a very "green person, but there are a few things on my list of "environment-friendly habits":
- trying to stretch washes as much as possible (while still looking presentable when necessary)
- only use the bare minimum amounts of each product needed
- using disliked hair products for alternative purposes
- taking the clean filtered/distilled/condensed water from the dryer for washing my hair (it's also the only way to get soft water for cheap where we live)

I've often wondered if I could reuse the water from my dryer, how do you use it, what effect does it have on your hair?

esfand
March 24th, 2018, 12:40 PM
Growing hair definitely saves money because you don't have to go to cut hair as often. Long hair is also versatile and you can style and braid it without needing to rely on styling tools and products as much.

When it comes to shampoos and conditioners, I don't go for "green" products, I go for anything that works. Just get a bigger bottle so you save money and save on plastic. I think it's more ecofriendly to extend and use what you have for as long as possible instead of getting more products. Most of the carbon footprint comes from the extracting of natural resources, producing, packaging, and shipping.

Platzhalter
March 24th, 2018, 01:12 PM
I've often wondered if I could reuse the water from my dryer, how do you use it, what effect does it have on your hair?

I simply fill it into bottles for storage and use it for washing my hair and that's it.

Reyesuela
March 24th, 2018, 01:31 PM

Are you guys European, with those terrible condensing dryers? I’d rather us it on house plants than my hair.

lapushka
March 24th, 2018, 01:36 PM

It is basically "distilled" water. My mom runs it through a filter (coffee filter), to get the tiny lint bits out, and saves it in big jugs for her big steam iron. I have a few separate bottles, used to use it as my final rinse, but since cold rinses basically do nothing for me - I've stopped doing that.

Reyesuela, there is nothing wrong with a condenser dryer, IMMHO!

Reyesuela
March 24th, 2018, 02:37 PM
They take a million years to dry and aren’t all that efficient. They’re also just appalling in cooling climates like the American South or Southwest. Heat recovery would be soooo much more efficient and would have a faster dry time. But that would make sense and appliances can’t make sense.

With color catcher technology, I now put everything but delicates in a single absolutely enormous load of laundry. I can get 5 days of winter laundry in 1 load for a family of 5. It’s awesome. It’s also possible because I own the largest washer on the market. Lol.

lithostoic
March 24th, 2018, 04:05 PM
LawrenceSMarlow Conditioner still works great.

I also save and reuse hair product bottles.