PDA

View Full Version : I don't get the point of oiling my hair if..?

StartingFrom0
March 17th, 2018, 02:47 AM
It gets dry again right after i wash it with shampoo twice in order to get all of the oil out of my hair. I have to even shampoo the tips of my hair which are starting to get really dry. Ani ideas?

AutobotsAttack
March 17th, 2018, 02:55 AM
Depends how you are using the oil.

Some people have to moisturize and then seal with an oil.

How much are you using?

What kind of oil are you using?

Just to clarify: So your hair is getting dry after you shampoo and then oil? Or it’s getting dry after you’ve oiled it, which you shampoo to get the oil out?

Might need to clarify before using oils. Sometimes oiling will do nothing but dry the hair out if there’s buildup already present.

If your oiling your whole head as a treatment, probably use a bit less, and use a lighter oil.

Corvana
March 17th, 2018, 03:06 AM
I generally only oil now as part of my LOC, and maybe during the week if my ends feel dry I'll add another drop or two. I don't think I use more than 5 drops? In a whole week! I'm only at ~APL, though, so there's that. But I don't really do the whole oil treatment, mostly because I don't want to use my expensive beard oils for that (my husband bought them for me because I would steal them from him! I love the coffee scent :inlove:), and I don't have bottles of just plain oil (except vegetable! Hehe).

Also, try using conditioner to get an oil treatment out of your hair. A lot of people on here swear by that! It also has the benefit of not drying your hair like shampoo would.

Groovy Granny
March 17th, 2018, 03:59 AM
Welcome :waving:

It would help if you post your hair type....fine etc.

My hair is fine, wispy, and needs lots of moisture.

For my routine....I only shampoo the scalp (with Joico Moisture), but let the suds run down to then ends; I add some conditioner (Joico Moisture) to the ends and rinse.

Then I condition the ends again with Joico K-PAK Intense Hydration conditioner, let is sit while I bathe, and then rinse.

After I put my hair in a turban towel for @ 15 min, I work a small pea size of (Joico Moisture) conditioner on the ends, followed by 4 drops of a light oil (mineral/baby), and a few drops of Biosilk LIte Serum...then air dry after I comb it through.

If there is any dryness in between shampoos I use a couple drops of the serum(ends only)...or a rosewater and glycerin spritz.

I have no problems with my shampoos as the oil is light(and only shampoo once) ......or dryness, as the moisture is sealed in.

Good luck finding your Holy Grail products/routine...and happy growing :cheer:

Borgessa
March 17th, 2018, 04:08 AM
I think your using too much oil, you should only shampoo your scalp, unless your are clarifying, and thats a different subject.. Only oil the ends of your hair from the ears down, do this before washing, how ever long before washing is up too you, but at least a half hour before hand, don't use a bucket load, maybe coin size amounts to the hair till it is well oiled. I avoid scalp, before you get in the shower, put a bit of conditioner in your hair, where the oil is, then get in the shower rinse that out, shampoo the scalp, and let the suds run down the length of your hair to clean, (don't pile your hair up on your head, this is damaging to your hair) after you shampoo'd your scalp, condition your hair once more, to lift any remaining oil, once again only condition from the ears down. IF you haven't put too much oil in your hair, this should be enough to lift the oil.. I never need to use shampoo twice with this method.

Edited to add, when i'm oiling, I always, always, add water first, oil isn't moisturizing on its own, but its seals the water in, so i spirits with a water spray bottle first, and then add any oils I am using, I also do this, before adding conditioners.

lapushka
March 17th, 2018, 07:04 AM
Maybe try to find a happy medium. Don't overoil, so that you don't have to use shampoo 2 times to get it out. The key to oiling is to leave a tad bit behind after you shampoo. So either oil more, so a bit more stays after the 2 shampoos, or oil a lot less, and shampoo only once.

There's ton of oil "methods", like an oil rinse (rinse-out oil, see signature), or the LOC/LCO method (see signature).

You don't have to oil the scalp maybe if you switch to CO-washing?

Kat
March 17th, 2018, 08:21 AM
I second using conditioner to get the oil out. For me it works better than shampoo. I don't know why. Until I discovered this, I wondered the same thing you do!

Obsidian
March 17th, 2018, 08:24 AM
I had the same problem when I first started oiling, had to wash twice to get it all out then I was dry afterwards. I started using less oil and a cheap conditioner to get it out, followed by shampoo. Works great now and my hair is always nice & soft afterwards.

Larki
March 17th, 2018, 09:07 AM
Yeah, I never had luck with shampoo getting oil out. I oil the length and shampoo my scalp, then condition the length twice and my hair is always very moisturized and soft.

Reservechic
March 17th, 2018, 09:49 AM
It would be a really great idea if you shared with others here which oil or oils you happen to use in your hair. Also, how are you using the oil in your hair, such as for a pre-poo treatment, during your hair styling process, or to massage just your scalp with? I've tried a variety of oils and oil mixtures in my hair, however, 99.9% of the time this has only been done to pre-poo my hair with. I am able to get all the oil out with just 1 hair washing, no matter what oil I have tried, or cleanser for my hair, I actually happen to live where there is hard water. no I don't use oil sparingly, when I do my pre-poo treatments, instead I happen to apply a lot of oil, to both my hair and scalp when I do so. My hair is naturally very dry, so doing 2 hair washings on a frequent basis, would definitely not work for my hair, but very much against it, since my hair is naturally very dry, as I mentioned. Also, since you have described your hair as being dry, then what you use to cleanse your hair, all the way down thru what you use to style your hair with, should contain ingredient formulations geared towards boosting your hairs moisture level overall, which will help to lead to greater moisture retention.

Pre-poos I have never found to provide a long-lasting lubricating effect to neither my hair and scalp. I do them to help with my severe scalp eczema and to help make the moisture loss that I will undertake during my hair cleansing process to be as least as possible. Because even though I do use sulfate free cleansers, I still do incur moisture loss during the cleansing process.

Jo Ann
March 17th, 2018, 10:05 AM
...Also, try using conditioner to get an oil treatment out of your hair. A lot of people on here swear by that! It also has the benefit of not drying your hair like shampoo would.
I'm one of the ones who swear by this method! I put conditioner on my hair about 30 minutes before shampooing--works like a charm to "cut" the oil and make it easier to shampoo out!

QuoteTheCrow
March 17th, 2018, 10:49 AM
I know your gut probably tells you to shampoo until you don't feel the oil anymore, but I challenge you to try just shampooing your scalp *minimally* and seeing what happens when you're finished. Remind yourself you can always go back and rewash if you find you need to.
My whole life, I shampooed daily (or every other day) believing that it needed to be "squeaky clean" in order to be clean. When I started oiling last year, I did the same thing you're talking about - shampooed twice because my hair didn't feel clean in the shower. Strangely enough, once I tried that very same challenge (just do a minimal wash and then judge from there), I found my hair was starting to get thicker, shinier, and was much easier to brush. I could let it air-dry, and I'd NEVER been able to do that!

The moral is: we've been brainwashed into believing we need BIG LATHER and squeaky-clean to be clean, but I have found that the opposite is true. When I shampoo only my scalp, my shampoo doesn't bubble up anymore, but that's okay! Try it on a long weekend - my fingers are crossed that you'll feel the same. It was the start of my true long-hair journey once I realized that! Good luck to you!

Caraid♫
March 17th, 2018, 11:01 AM
When I oil it's best if I do shampoo the whole length rather than just scalp, otherwise my hair is too limp for my liking. But like you, I find shampooing the length twice too drying. My suggestion is to first wash as much oil as you can out with conditioner, then shampoo all your hair, then finish off re- conditioning your ends

But you should also try seeing if only shampoo the scalp as others suggest above and seeing if that works for you! If it does work for you, than that would probably be the healthiest thing for your ends!

pailin
March 17th, 2018, 11:41 AM
It sounds like too much oil to me. You could start with just a drop or two- find an amount you can shampoo once to remove, then try increasing slowly from there until you reach the point where one shampooing isn't enough.
Also, when you shampoo it out, how much shampoo? If I oil more heavily, I find if I use enough shampoo, once is enough. But I do need more than the usual amount of shampoo! Think of washing a really greasy pan in your kitchen (like a bacon pan) - it needs more dish soap than a coffee cup does; if you use the normal amount of soap, the pan stays greasy. You just need more surfactants (soap or detergent) to dissolve more oil, it's as simple as that.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
March 17th, 2018, 12:29 PM
After oiling try not to wash all the oil away. Oiling and washing is meant to make hair softer and more manageable. However as members have noted oiling would depend on your hair type, the method used and the type of oil. As certain hair types take kindly to certain oils and not others. Good luck and please keep us updated.

Kaya
March 17th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Definitely try conditioner only washing! I used to heavily oil daily and I could easily wash it out each night with a nice slathering of conditioner. The shampoo is probably stripping your hair, hence the dryness. CO washing should help keep your hair more moisturized and soft.

leayellena
March 19th, 2018, 01:13 AM
... I co-wash, my conditioner contains Silicones and glicerine, I can use a hair mask for co-washing because it's stronger and it contains the same ingredients as a conditioner, I can use a little bit of hair mask as leave-in on my very ends and so no danger of build-up.

MoonRabbit
March 19th, 2018, 11:17 AM
I would definitely try what everyone else suggested first but don't be alarmed if it still seems like it won't work. Oil always makes my hair feel dry and crunchy, I've tried coconut, argan, olive and even when I just lightly oil my ends, the next day they will be extremely dry.

Jo Ann
March 19th, 2018, 10:10 PM
I would definitely try what everyone else suggested first but don't be alarmed if it still seems like it won't work. Oil always makes my hair feel dry and crunchy, I've tried coconut, argan, olive and even when I just lightly oil my ends, the next day they will be extremely dry.
I only use coconut oil when my hair is wet--when I use it on dry hair, crunchy ends!

neko_kawaii
March 20th, 2018, 12:08 AM
I am another who uses conditioner to remove an oil treatment. I treat the conditioner like it’s own moisturizing treatment, leaving it in for 20-30 min. Rinse that out, shampoo scalp, condition like normal, done. I found that I only need to do this once a month or maybe every other week. Once a week makes my hair so slippery it won’t stay up.

spidermom
March 20th, 2018, 08:52 AM
I know your gut probably tells you to shampoo until you don't feel the oil anymore, but I challenge you to try just shampooing your scalp *minimally* and seeing what happens when you're finished. Remind yourself you can always go back and rewash if you find you need to.
My whole life, I shampooed daily (or every other day) believing that it needed to be "squeaky clean" in order to be clean. When I started oiling last year, I did the same thing you're talking about - shampooed twice because my hair didn't feel clean in the shower. Strangely enough, once I tried that very same challenge (just do a minimal wash and then judge from there), I found my hair was starting to get thicker, shinier, and was much easier to brush. I could let it air-dry, and I'd NEVER been able to do that!

The moral is: we've been brainwashed into believing we need BIG LATHER and squeaky-clean to be clean, but I have found that the opposite is true. When I shampoo only my scalp, my shampoo doesn't bubble up anymore, but that's okay! Try it on a long weekend - my fingers are crossed that you'll feel the same. It was the start of my true long-hair journey once I realized that! Good luck to you!

There's a good point here. Now each head of hair is different, so this may not be true for you, but for me my hair will often feel "oily" after washing/conditioning following an overnight coconut oil treatment, but once my hair is dry it no longer feels or looks oily. Instead it will be lovely and glossy. My method is to wait until the hair at my scalp gets oily, then I apply a small amount of oil (a finger-tip size scrape of solid coconut oil warmed/melted between my palms) to the length and wait 1-12 hours later to wash it. I shampoo the scalp area and condition from ears down.