PDA

View Full Version : Hairloss. Hypothyroidism. New meds.

Beckstar
March 15th, 2018, 08:52 PM
I want to shave my head and go back to wigs. Just diagnosed with hypothyroidism. My hair has been seriously thinning the last couple of months. I've started on ARMOUR for Thyroid. I'm hoping it makes a difference. I'm not sure if I should cut shorter or leave it alone my hair touches my collar, covers my ears, and my bangs touch the bridge of my nose. I worry about new growth looking odd or sticking up. Better to go shorter so it catches up?

cjk
March 15th, 2018, 10:01 PM
Do you see a stylist?

Let her know your concerns, what you just said. And ask for her opinion.

No matter how well meaning we are, there is no substitute for an in-person consultation. But just keep in mind that different lengths, what you would have naturally, are often introduced in the form of layers.

It is my hope that you don't have to cut it. Your hair is obviously important to you.

Blue Mermaid
March 16th, 2018, 12:35 AM
Being that your texture is F/M, I don't think that will be much of an issue. The new growth will probably slowly begin again over the course of several months to a year, anyways. The growth will be staggered and your texture isn't coarse- I doubt it will be sticking up. You may want to maintain where you are for a while to avoid having excessive taper, if that kind of thing bothers you.

embee
March 16th, 2018, 05:03 AM
I would choose to leave my hair alone. My meds make me hypothyroid. After a while the body adjusts.

Hypo also makes hair/skin dryer. Probably one reason I can so easily go NW/SO. :)

Wendyp
March 16th, 2018, 05:39 AM
I’m hypo thyroid, I have to take a lot of thyroid meds 185 mg. I see a nutritional hormone expert as well as it’s really about the whole picture. Balancing my hormones and thyroid has made a huge difference in my hair. Takes a bit for your body to adjust so hang in there. I would say as it grows wear it up, bunning for me is helping me grow out damage.

Lady Stardust
March 16th, 2018, 05:45 AM
Having grown out a pixie myself, I would say if you've got to the point where it's covering your ears and is touching your collar, don't cut! Getting to that point was by far the most awkward stage for me, and I wouldn't want to go through it again if it could be avoided.

I had postpartum shed and while the new hairs stick up a bit, I just think of it as added volume and I'm pleased to see it so it doesn't bother me.

I don't know if you trim at the moment? I have regular small trims and they have dealt with the thinner post shed ends. The good news is that you now know what you're dealing with and hopefully you'll see some improvement soon.

lapushka
March 16th, 2018, 06:54 AM
I want to shave my head and go back to wigs. Just diagnosed with hypothyroidism. My hair has been seriously thinning the last couple of months. I've started on ARMOUR for Thyroid. I'm hoping it makes a difference. I'm not sure if I should cut shorter or leave it alone my hair touches my collar, covers my ears, and my bangs touch the bridge of my nose. I worry about new growth looking odd or sticking up. Better to go shorter so it catches up?

If you shave it, you won't bring back the hair that has thinned. It gives you "only" a more even base to start from, IF it starts growing back out immediately and if your meds are already on point.

I wouldn't do it, if I were you.

Just keep growing, or maintain until your hair starts growing back in; that's what I would do. That's what I did when my hair fell out at age 13/14 (+ bald patching) when I had hormonal hair loss due to puberty kicking in.

spitfire511
March 16th, 2018, 07:35 AM
Totally agreed with the others here - I wouldn't cut it!

Both from the perspective of having grown out shorter cuts and having some hair just coming back in from a huge loss last year.

I would suspect that it will blend better than you think it might. If I specifically pull out the strands in the front, you can see that I have a large chunk of like 4" long hair.

It was a pain in the beginning, (with the face-framing fuzzies!) but that only lasted maybe a month - after that, the hair got a little weight on it and will blend in with the rest.

I'd keep growing and as you trim as needed as you grow, eventually it will all catch up! :grouphug:

Beckstar
March 16th, 2018, 05:24 PM
Do you see a stylist?

Let her know your concerns, what you just said. And ask for her opinion.

No matter how well meaning we are, there is no substitute for an in-person consultation. But just keep in mind that different lengths, what you would have naturally, are often introduced in the form of layers.

It is my hope that you don't have to cut it. Your hair is obviously important to you.

I don't trust stylists. I'm just going to let it keep growing. My curls cover a lot.