PDA

View Full Version : Long hair with a long face shape and or high forehead

Laura1986
March 15th, 2018, 02:09 AM
Hi there!

I wonder if there are LHCers with a long face shape who have more than, let's say, shoulder long hair.
I do have a long, oblong face shape and a high forehead. Therefore, hairdressers and such mostly advise to keep somewhat shorter hair (at least not longer than shoulders) and forehead-covering bangs.
What do you think about this?

To LHCers with a long face shape:
Do you do something special to make your face look a bit wider?

If you have a high forehead, what is your tactic? Do you hide it? Own it?

Lady Stardust
March 15th, 2018, 03:59 AM
There's no reason why you should keep a fringe if you don't want one. I don't think fringes are necessarily there to hide high foreheads, just to make the face look shorter.

I have a high forehead and have no problem with it. I also have a long face. My hair isn't quite shoulder length and I do wonder about how well it will suit me when it's longer. The most flattering haircut for me is a chin length bob, but I don't want that at the moment so I'm going to keep growing. Face framing layers are always an option if I think I need them.

If you want to, a way of balancing out the length is to have a longer side swept fringe at about cheekbone level. If you don't want to though just go with what makes you happy.

Chiquita Banana
March 15th, 2018, 06:01 AM
I have a long face and a high forehead and was always told growing up that I need to have bangs - by my mother mainly. About 20 years ago, I decided to own it and grew my bangs out. I LOVE not having bangs. Is my face still long and my forehead still high... yep. But it's how God made me and I can grow my hair as long or short as I want, with or without bangs, just because it makes me happy to do so. :)

Caraid♫
March 15th, 2018, 07:03 AM
I also have a very narrow face and high forehead
I think it can be a striking look (thinking of others- I don't look in the mirror thinking about how striking I look! Quite the contrary!:p) and therefore not necessarily a bad thing. Long hair might emphasize it a little bit, but why is that a bad thing?
Also, I've always thought a fringe looked better on people with rounder faces somehow!

Milady_DeWinter
March 15th, 2018, 07:17 AM
I consider me to have a narrow face (not a high forehead though), and I've been longer than shoulder lenght since I was 17 or so. Do not let them tell you what suits you most, as if it were failures: it's just your own characteristics, and can be beautiful too. If you like long hair, go for it! :o
I have also been told since forever that because I'm 2C I had to wear layers (also for the long face I think :justy:), and about 1 year ago i discovered that I HATE them, and I'll never ever cut them again. I'm still growing out layers, but I'll get there.

Own your face! :rockerdud

:bow:

lapushka
March 15th, 2018, 07:48 AM
I think that "face shape" Spiel is just part of being a hairdresser. I have never paid it attention, even though my hairdresser once started to address it. Because I have a rounder shape, a chin length bob would suit me the best.

I think they recommend "bobs" and shorter than shoulder length do's just about to *anyone*. As long as they can make a buck off of a recurring customer, that means they're doing fine.

I'd not pay it any attention, and if you want to go for length, then forget what hairdressers say.

I say cut the tie! Learn to be self-sufficient when it comes to your haircare and you'll be just fine. :flower:

manticore
March 15th, 2018, 08:23 AM
Long face? Yes. High forehead? Yes. And I think I look good both with bangs and without :p I tried short hair for a while, and that was fun, but Iím enjoying growing my hair long now

AmaryllisRed
March 15th, 2018, 08:25 AM
I think that "face shape" Spiel is just part of being a hairdresser. I have never paid it attention, even though my hairdresser once started to address it. Because I have a rounder shape, a chin length bob would suit me the best.

I think they recommend "bobs" and shorter than shoulder length do's just about to *anyone*. As long as they can make a buck off of a recurring customer, that means they're doing fine.

I'd not pay it any attention, and if you want to go for length, then forget what hairdressers say.

I say cut the tie! Learn to be self-sufficient when it comes to your haircare and you'll be just fine. :flower:

Definitely! Why would a hairdresser recommend growing your hair long, learning to self-trim, and almost never getting professional cuts? They'd put themselves out of business! :)

I've got a long, thin face and a high forehead. I do feel, from an outsider's perspective, the most flattering haircut on me is a layered cut just above the shoulders with a side bang. It looks good with my face shape.

On the other hand, my best feature is my hair.
Anyone remember in the movie Mr. Holland's Opus, that girl he was teaching to play the clarinet and she would always get frustrated with herself? And he said, when you look in the mirror, what do you love about yourself? And she says, my hair, my father says it reminds him of the sunset.
She had beautiful long red hair. Was it the most flattering haircut for her face shape? Who knows? Who cares?
I don't have long hair because it best suits my face. I have long hair because I love my hair and having it long makes me happy.
Wear it how it makes you happy. :)

lapushka
March 15th, 2018, 09:27 AM
If I didn't have the same type of recommendation throughout my entire family (cousins, mom, aunts), then I wouldn't be so harsh towards the hairdressing profession as a whole. I mean, we have different face shapes, of course we do. We can't all suit the same "type" of style, surely. Bobs and pixies, hairdo's that need a high maintenance rate. Is that a coincidence? I somehow don't think so.

So I call BS :bs: on the whole face shape thing. Truly I do.

cjk
March 15th, 2018, 09:40 AM
Just how long is your face? And how high is your foreheads?

Oh, and what is your hair texture?

The theory is that the oval face shape is the aesthetic ideal. If you don't have an oval face, external factors like hairstyle and eyeglasses can be used to adjust those proportions.

Very curly hair, for instance, can poof out on the sides and provide width to your silhouette. While very straight hair can actually lengthen your face, visually.

Bangs/fringe are the same, shortening the face visually. Wisps around the sides too.

A long face is not a disqualifier for long hair. Quite the opposite, in fact. But styles exist for a reason. Be aware of them and use them to your advantage.

Groovy Granny
March 15th, 2018, 10:14 AM
I have hip length fine silver, a long face and high forehead :o

Admittedly that was also a concern for me, especially as my hair lightened, but I do not care for bangs.
When my hair curls in humid weather they are uncontrollable, and I hate having hair in my face when it is hot weather.

It took some time (I was also bucking the 'no long hair for older women' issue as well), but I eventually went with my gut and what makes ME happy :thumbsup:

You can't please everyone :lala: so better to please yourself and wear your hair as you enjoy it :cheer:

CindyOfTheOaks
March 15th, 2018, 05:15 PM
I wear bangs, have always and will always wear bangs.
I have tried many times to grow them out...parted on either side or down the middle, just off center and even pulled back.
I don't like what I see in the mirror at all so bangs it is.

spurple
March 15th, 2018, 05:37 PM
I also had this concern but when I googled hairstyles for our face shape I came up with a TON of hits - there's actually a lot of celebrities in this same category. A lot of the longer styles were recommending either fringe or bangs BUT also just some OTHER focal point in the face area that isn't your forehead. So... maybe a braid that comes over your shoulder or eye catching earrings or a necklace. There were a ton of ideas so I just quit looking! Here's one of the articles I found:
https://www.herinterest.com/30-best-hairstyles-for-big-foreheads/

nycelle
March 15th, 2018, 05:41 PM
I don't subscribe to this. But I do think that certain styles of long hair can look better on some facial types. But at the end of the day, anyone can make anything look good.

@spurple I checked out that link. I had to LOL at what they considered long face and high forehead. More than half those women don't fall into that category.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 15th, 2018, 07:27 PM
I have a long face.
I have a high forehead.
Do I have bangs? Nope.
Do I worry about how it makes my face look? Nope.
Do I wear my hair the way I want to? Yep.
Do I care whether it "suits" me? Nope.
Do I enjoy it just the way it is? Yep.

wannabe-rusalka
March 15th, 2018, 09:02 PM
I find long faces and high foreheads with long hair kinda majestic looking, a little medieval in the best way. Arwen in LOTRs has a long face and a kind of a high forehead and she looked beautiful. In the end, you should do what you think. I don't think face shape and hair cut really matter all that much anyway when it comes to whats flattering.

Jo Ann
March 15th, 2018, 09:04 PM
Hi there!

I wonder if there are LHCers with a long face shape who have more than, let's say, shoulder long hair.
I do have a long, oblong face shape and a high forehead. Therefore, hairdressers and such mostly advise to keep somewhat shorter hair (at least not longer than shoulders) and forehead-covering bangs.
What do you think about this?

To LHCers with a long face shape:
Do you do something special to make your face look a bit wider?

If you have a high forehead, what is your tactic? Do you hide it? Own it?
Yeah, about that whole "shorter hair" thing...if your hair is long, and you wear it up, does it truly make a difference how long your hair is? Methinks not! Besides, by wearing one's hair up, one's hair "length" is considerably shorter than any style the hairdresser/stylist would recommend ;)

I'd say go for it! Grow it long and nevermind the ones who say "Oh, you have such-and-such a face shape! You should wear your hair this way," especially if they have $$ signs in their eyes.

Put another way, own it! :flower:

Hexen
March 16th, 2018, 01:20 AM

Interesting tactic in the interest of recurring business. A reminder that the job of hairdresser can not only be aesthetic, but psychological as well. Even if it may not be in the customers best interest.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________

Im glad this thread was created though. I find consolation in knowing that there are others with bangless towering foreheads. For a time now ive been aware of the seemingly infinite ascention of my own even. Not to mention the symmetry of a middle part seems to only lend optical support to the visual sense of elongation. I do wonder though. Can years of ponytailing really pull back ones hairline thereby creating the appearance of a lofty forehead? I have worn it like that quite a bit over the years.

chomsky
March 16th, 2018, 03:33 AM
Interesting tactic in the interest of recurring business. A reminder that the job of hairdresser can not only be aesthetic, but psychological as well. Even if it may not be in the customers best interest.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________

Im glad this thread was created though. I find consolation in knowing that there are others with bangless towering foreheads. For a time now ive been aware of the seemingly infinite ascention of my own even. Not to mention the symmetry of a middle part seems to only lend optical support to the visual sense of elongation. I do wonder though. Can years of ponytailing really pull back ones hairline thereby creating the appearance of a lofty forehead? I have worn it like that quite a bit over the years.

If it's crazy tight, and a daily thing, it can cause traction alopecia. Usually it's temporary hairline thinning but I doubt your wearing your own tight enough.

I don't have a long face or high forehead (I've quite the plump round face), but my mum does, she does not bob her hair at all. I think hairdressers try to create the illusion of traditional oval faces when they cut and style. I don't understand why.

Edit: I get encouraged cuts that would slim my face.

Rock your face shape with the hair you want. It's still going to be the same under a fringe and with short hair.

Simsy
March 16th, 2018, 06:14 AM
While I donít consider my forehead to be particularly large, I do have a longish face. I donít have bangs, sideswept or otherwise, because hair across my face annoys me to madness. I also have long hair because itís less hassle to deal with. Overall, pick your look and wear it well. If you think you look good, then youíre already gorgeous.

OhSuzi
March 16th, 2018, 06:58 AM
Liv Tyler, Sarah Jessica Parker, Alanis Morrisette, Cher - all have longish faces and I think generally they have spent at least some of their time in the spotlight with long hair by Hollywood standards with no fringe / no face shaping layers and it doesn't seem to have marred their careers, they seemed happy with the way they looked & I thought they looked nice!

Kake
March 16th, 2018, 07:28 AM
To the OP: if you have bangs it doesn't take long to grow them out long enough to gauge how you look without them. If you don't have them, please don't let anyone tell you you should cut them in because of your face shape. That's outrageous, please tell me that didn't happen.

Pumpkin3826
March 16th, 2018, 08:19 AM
I have a long oval face, and hairdressers always told me I should have bangs because it would help hide my forehead and create the appearance of a shorter face. I have actually been battling with blunt bangs or no bangs for the past year. I would get them cut when I was feeling down about my long face, then I would realize I don't need bangs to hide my forehead. I was a bad back and forth cycle.. I eventually decided that I was only having bangs because I didn't want other people to have to look at my long face, and that is not a good reason. I hated bangs, they get so sweaty, you have to constantly trim them and when the wind blows I would worry about what my bangs looked like.. Life is too short to be worrying about all that. I have BCL almost to TBL hair and I have been growing out my blunt bangs since November. They are almost long enough to stay behind my ears and I have gotten used to my face and learned to embrace it. We are all so unique we need to celebrate those difference's we have instead of trying to hide and cover them up. Now it makes me giggle when I see some of my co workers fidgeting with their hair and they will say "Ugh my bangs won't work today, but I need them because I have a long face.. " It is such a freeing feeling when you just stop caring. :)

Cherriezzzzz
March 16th, 2018, 08:34 AM
Another long hair, thin narrow face, high forehead gal here lol! My husband hates bangs... I've had them. I like both. Being a former hairdresser I've never, ever told a person to hide a "flaw" with a haircut lol! That's just ridiculous in my opinion. I will say becoming heavier fills a thin face out! :silly: seriously though, why would we all want to look the same? Being a natural redhead I'm supposedly only 2 or 3 percent of the population of the world and it would be silly of me to take this unique feature and change it adhere to a standard. My husband LOVES my long "horse face!" Now me? I loooooove Asian faces. I can't say why I just think they're beautiful. I wouldn't want anyone to try to look a certain way that they aren't. Get bangs cause YOU like them, but never to correct a "flaw." Most people on LHC aren't trying to fit a a standard held by most anyhow... who wouldn't take knee length hair if they could?! Hahaha

pili
March 16th, 2018, 09:57 AM
Yes and yes. And my hair is curly enough for bangs to be a disaster. Don't listen to anyone telling you how you should wear your hair (especially when they will make money if you change it.) I have a narrow, long face and high forehead. My husband HATES my hair short (though he never says a word when I do irrational chops). I know at least half of my short cuts were from people telling me how I "should" cut my hair, but those cuts just don't work on me.

Laura1986
March 17th, 2018, 07:03 AM
Thank you all so much for responding <3

Laura1986
March 17th, 2018, 10:33 AM
Oh yes, this has happened. But that's probably because I have asked for advice.

Currently I've a pixie cut. I decided to grow back to a (long) bob just after I got it cut. Maybe grow it further once I get there, but there are a lot of things to consider. Thankfully, I have a lot of time for that ;)

To all: I appreciate your thoughts about these kind of questions, it helps me see more clearly.

Laura1986
March 17th, 2018, 10:35 AM
To the OP: if you have bangs it doesn't take long to grow them out long enough to gauge how you look without them. If you don't have them, please don't let anyone tell you you should cut them in because of your face shape. That's outrageous, please tell me that didn't happen.

Oh yes, this has happened. But that's probably because I have asked for advice.

Currently I've a pixie cut. I decided to grow back to a (long) bob just after I got it cut. Maybe grow it further once I get there, but there are a lot of things to consider. Thankfully, I have a lot of time for that ;)

To all: I appreciate your thoughts about these kind of questions, it helps me see more clearly.

Whoops.

( I'm not able to edit postings jet. )

floraflowerpowe
March 17th, 2018, 02:00 PM
I have quite a high forehead and once someone even commented I must be from a wealthy family or nobility because of my high forehead. I took it as a compliment in some twisted way, as I'm not insecure about my forehead. What hairdressers told me was to have a side part and cover the forehead bla bla bla. I style it the way I want and at this moment that's a middle part or I wear my hair in a bun showing my forehead to the world.

My advice: wear your hair any way you want, long, short, bangs, side part, middle part, no part, high, low and don't let other people dictate the way they think you "should" wear or style your hair :)

zanelle
March 18th, 2018, 02:55 AM
I belong in the long faced wagon too :-)
And I love my forehead.
And I love long hair with a passion. I am currently growing it to TBL.
I also have a cowlick right in the center of my front hairline, so bangs are out of discussion.
Here some pics:
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab211/Snakecharmer7/IMG-20170324-WA0001.jpeg
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab211/Snakecharmer7/IMG_20160712_183359-01.jpeg
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab211/Snakecharmer7/IMG_20180315_103732.jpg

Joules
March 18th, 2018, 03:43 AM
When I was training to be a makeup artist (didn't end up working as one though, but knowledge is still there) we spent three days writing down everything about the golden ratio of a perfect face. And of course when doing makeup a professional develops a look based on said golden ratio: oval face, almond eyes, perfectly equal forehead-nose-chin proportions. We even learned how to correct asymmetric lips with green concealer. Nobody does that in their day-to-day life because it's ridiculous, but it's the way we were trained. I think when it comes to hairdressers the drill is the same: correct features with hairstyles. They don't care that much about health of hair, practicality of a particular style or personal comfort, they're gonna push whatever they know is right. And just like green concealer on lips it can be ridiculous if you obsess over it.

So yeah, you do you! I have big-ish forehead (round face though), I like to think it's a sign of great mind :D

zanelle
March 18th, 2018, 03:50 AM
So yeah, you do you! I have big-ish forehead (round face though), I like to think it's a sign of great mind :D
I like to think about it the same way :-D

Glitch
March 18th, 2018, 05:16 AM
I think that "face shape" Spiel is just part of being a hairdresser. I have never paid it attention, even though my hairdresser once started to address it...

I agree, honestly, I can't even think of which face shapes my own friends have. I don't think the average person really notices these things on others. Anyway, OP, I'm sure you'd look great with longer lengths. I have a "normal" forehead but have always wished for a big one (and they're considered really beautiful in my culture). For example, I can't rock a gorgeous middle parting like I've always wanted without looking awkward. Sigh. I remember the times I used to pluck at my hairline in an attempt at "heightening" my forehead. As always, the grass always seems greener on the other side.

http://www.coiffurestar.fr/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/coiffure-Megan-Fox-raie-au-milieu.jpg

Oh and those luxurious, long bangs I can't rock either unless I wish to part them a mile back: http://www.soylopeor.com/wp-content/uploads/nelly.png

I die :heart:

DaveDecker
March 19th, 2018, 12:04 PM
Do stylists ever say that some face types are not suited for short hair?

I didn't think so.

'nuff said. :p

littlestarface
March 19th, 2018, 12:09 PM
I have a long forehead and face unfortunate for me and I also have long hair but I do also have bangs which looks better with my shape. Now with the bangs its good to get certain cuts for face shapes, I get some that suitable for my face shape and it compliments it rather than make me look weird and loong.

LawrenceSMarlow
March 19th, 2018, 12:18 PM
I have a heart shaped faced with a massive forehead, and a not inconsiderable nose. My mother (who, I honestly believe, does have my best interests at heart) is always trying to get me to agree that “people with faces like ours need fringes”, and I inevitably reply “no mother, you WANT a fringe, I DON’T, NEED is not part of the equation here”. I have had a fringe in the past, but these days I just simply can’t be bothered with the upkeep. And I can’t bear the feeling of THINGS on my face either. So my forehead and my nose are free and unchecked in all their enormous glory :cool:

lilelf
March 19th, 2018, 05:20 PM
I have both a long face AND a large forehead and I have long hair with no bangs. I think it is a big problem that we think we have to "fix" a face shape because it isn't "perfect". ALL face shapes are perfect and ALL face shapes are beautiful. I have never heard anyone say that they wouldn't date someone or be friends with them because of their face shape. So...I think it really comes down to personal preference. If you like it, then don't listen to what others say. It's your hair and your choices are what makes you, you. And you being you is ALWAYS beautiful :)

Cg
March 19th, 2018, 06:07 PM
.... And you being you is ALWAYS beautiful :)

Beautifully said.

victorian girl
March 21st, 2018, 12:24 AM
I agree with the idea that for making your face rounder sometimes you just need to gain weight, and that the updos are much better at creating the desired visual effect:) all that "thin face" thing was one of the reasons for my last big chop, and the result - how I've gained weight and my face is rounder than ever, but I don't have my long hair anymore:(

lilelf
April 3rd, 2018, 06:55 AM
Beautifully said.
Thank you, Cg. :)

Reyesuela
April 3rd, 2018, 08:21 PM
Do what you want.

I have a diamond shaped face. I have to be very careful of eyeglasses shape to be flattering, and I look best with extra volume on the top of my head. A bun or a pulled back look with volume can do it as well as a shag. I donít think I could adjust to a fringe, personally. Tried and failed.

emilyogini
July 10th, 2018, 08:47 PM
I have a long face, long nose, high forehead. So what, my family is very European! Just OWN it. Long goes with long ;-)
My mother never encouraged me to have short hair because of my face shape, instead she always directed me straight to old photos of Cher haha. I only became self conscious after looking in too many magazines as a teenager. No man has ever complained about my hair-to-face ratio. To all my ladies out there, do what YOU know looks/feels best on you, no matter what a hairdresser's "rules" are for everyone. MUAH.

flowerbabies
July 10th, 2018, 09:03 PM
I donít like the advice to cut hair to cause the illusion of a different face shape. You should cut your hair to suit your personal tastes and not what some random stylist thinks will make your face shape look better. Oval faces are beautiful and accentuating them with long hairstyles is not a bad thing. Itís beautiful!

Everyone is free to do what they please with their hair. If youíre asking for advice to hide or camouflage a certain face shape itís one thing; if someone is giving you advice to hide your face shape without you asking-thatís unacceptable. I donít need to make my face wide to be happy.

flowerbabies
July 10th, 2018, 09:04 PM
Yes! Own it and LOVE it!

Arciela
July 11th, 2018, 07:00 AM
I say do what you want! I have an oval faced shape and people try to tell me they love me with short hair, well I don't, I'm keeping it long :) wear your hair however you like and if you feel it's pretty, then I'm sure it is!