PDA

View Full Version : Deep treat/hair mask before or after shampooo/cleansing?

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 14th, 2018, 09:45 PM
So the other day I was watching a YouTube video and the girls sprayed her hair wet and then applied a deep conditioner but she washed it out afterwards with a shampoo. The shampoo was sulfate free but I am wondering if anyone here does deep treatments like that or if they prefer shampooing beforehand?
is it ok to deep treat like this or is it better to shampoo beforehand?
i personally shampoo before using a hair mask.

Virankannos
March 15th, 2018, 03:11 AM
I've noticed that my hair actually prefers conditioners and deep treatments before shampooing. My hair seems healthier and happier that way. After shampooing all I really need is some help with detangling and possibly defrizzing, which can be done in multiple ways, from oils, leave-ins to just light conditioners, or all of the above.

I know applying treatments after shampooing would ensure easier passage for the conditioner into the hair, because the hair wouldn't be coated, but it still works for me. Perhaps because I don't use any silicones, which would create an impenetrable barrier, and perhaps because my hair seems to be very porous (yet to be confirmed). Another thing might be that applying heavy conditioners before shampooing allows for heavier use, because you don't have to worry about residue or build-up. Speaking of which, shampooing away the excess treatment leaves the hair lighter and so doesn't cause curls be weighed down. I use very gentle shampoos, too, so it's not like the moisture put in by the conditioner is going to be completely sucked out by shampooing.

My final reason for preferring pre-shampoo deep treatments is that I find it way more practical to have a long-lasting treatment in my hair before jumping in the shower, allowing me to do stuff and live life undisturbed until showering, which then doesn't take long in itself. I do sometimes deep condition after shampooing, but going in and out of the shower is just unpleasant for me and doesn't really allow for a productive use of the time the treatment is in my head.

Lady Stardust
March 15th, 2018, 03:40 AM
I've used masks in the past that specified they were to be used before shampooing, but otherwise I use them after. You've got me thinking now though, my last treatment was too heavy so maybe I'll try it before shampooing instead.

I suppose I'll find out how "deep" the treatment is or whether it just lasts until the next wash!

chomsky
March 15th, 2018, 04:11 AM
I've done them before shampooing, I usually forget if I want to do it after.

leayellena
March 15th, 2018, 04:20 AM
I do it always after shampooing. I heard that the hair mask won't do anything to hair when hair is dirty. Anyway I like this method.

nycelle
March 15th, 2018, 06:13 AM
The only thing I've ever done before is an oil treatment.

As far as deep conditioners or masks, no. There could be too many products on my hair at that point that would keep me from getting the full benefit of the deep conditioner.

unheardletters
March 15th, 2018, 06:21 AM
I have always shampooed before the deep treatment.

Suortuva
March 15th, 2018, 09:01 AM
I do both with all my products, depends on my mood. I have not noticed any difference, really.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 20th, 2018, 09:42 PM
I've noticed that my hair actually prefers conditioners and deep treatments before shampooing. My hair seems healthier and happier that way. After shampooing all I really need is some help with detangling and possibly defrizzing, which can be done in multiple ways, from oils, leave-ins to just light conditioners, or all of the above.

I know applying treatments after shampooing would ensure easier passage for the conditioner into the hair, because the hair wouldn't be coated, but it still works for me. Perhaps because I don't use any silicones, which would create an impenetrable barrier, and perhaps because my hair seems to be very porous (yet to be confirmed). Another thing might be that applying heavy conditioners before shampooing allows for heavier use, because you don't have to worry about residue or build-up. Speaking of which, shampooing away the excess treatment leaves the hair lighter and so doesn't cause curls be weighed down. I use very gentle shampoos, too, so it's not like the moisture put in by the conditioner is going to be completely sucked out by shampooing.

My final reason for preferring pre-shampoo deep treatments is that I find it way more practical to have a long-lasting treatment in my hair before jumping in the shower, allowing me to do stuff and live life undisturbed until showering, which then doesn't take long in itself. I do sometimes deep condition after shampooing, but going in and out of the shower is just unpleasant for me and doesn't really allow for a productive use of the time the treatment is in my head.

The last thing you mentioned is the biggest reason why I consider it. Lol.
I hate having to jump into the shower twice.

Platzhalter
March 21st, 2018, 08:56 AM
I usually do my deep-treatments before shampooing (while taking a hot bath) and wash it out after that, though that doesn't always include using shampoo (which depends on the exact type of deep-treatment used).

nycelle
March 21st, 2018, 09:04 AM
I've tried it, and my result was not as good as after shampooing.

I think even sulfate free 'poos are going to remove a lot of the benefits of the treatment/deep conditioner. That's the only reason I can think of as to why my hair didn't feel truly conditioned when I've done it.

Edited to add: I've only tried this once with conditioners a few days ago as I was curious. I had to wet my hair and go back into the shower to do my regular deep conditioning treatment. Other than that, I've only tried it with oils.
Either way, doesn't work for my hair at all.

MoonRabbit
March 21st, 2018, 12:06 PM
I always deep treat before shampoo. I found that most treatments are really heavy and it leaves my hair coated in product.. Also having to wash my hair in the sink and then apply my treatment was wayyy to much for me.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 21st, 2018, 07:49 PM
I’m wondering if hair type accounts into who this works for.
She had very curly hair and I see curlier people like deep treating beforehand.

Dark40
March 21st, 2018, 07:52 PM
I always do a deep treatment after shampooing too. It doesn't make sense to do a deep treat beforehand, and then shampooing.

nycelle
March 21st, 2018, 07:59 PM

Wonder why?

Simsy
March 21st, 2018, 09:12 PM
I usually do a mask after shampoo and before conditioner. Oils and leave-in treatments are added after the wash and left in until the next wash.

Virankannos
March 22nd, 2018, 03:45 AM

I really think there is something to this. Besides curly, I think fine hair benefits from pre-shampoo deep treating, because both types are easily weighed down. I have wavy and (behaves like) fine hair, so would explain my response.

ETA: Also the porosity thing.

lakhesis
March 22nd, 2018, 04:10 AM
Isn't it then a bit similar to a CWC wash ?

I also do treatments before shampooing, but mostly beacuse it is convenient for me. Most often, I oil overnight and in the morning lot of the oil is absorbed and I actually put a mask on before going to the shower for about an hour, because this way it is much easier for me to wash everything out.

Dendra
March 22nd, 2018, 06:03 AM
Isn't it then a bit similar to a CWC wash ?

I also do treatments before shampooing, but mostly beacuse it is convenient for me. Most often, I oil overnight and in the morning lot of the oil is absorbed and I actually put a mask on before going to the shower for about an hour, because this way it is much easier for me to wash everything out.

That is exactly what I do, I apply an SMT an hour or two before shampooing to help lift out my coconut oil treatment. I then use a hair mask after shampooing for five or ten minutes.

And I was thinking it sounds like CWC too.

Joules
March 22nd, 2018, 09:42 AM
Depends on what you mean by deep treatment.
If it's oils or a homemade mask, then definitely before shampoo.
If it's a commercial product with emulsifiers that can be washed out...then why not after? My favorite hair mask is supposed to be applied before shampooing (according to instructions), I never did that and I'm fine.

My hair is impossible to really weigh down though, at least not with masks. The only way for me to get rid of natural volume and frizz is to either wait for too long between washes or pour oil on my head.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
March 23rd, 2018, 01:52 PM
My assumption is that doing a deep treatment on clean hair should be more beneficial.
However I do deep treatments before wash because it is more practical for me.