PDA

View Full Version : Flyaways or breakage?

longmane
March 13th, 2018, 07:22 PM
I noticed a lot of short hairs on the top layer of my hair I'm not sure if it's just flyaways or more than that. I wear buns with middle part tied with elastics regularly. Could it be the elastics breaking the top layer? I would like to wear hair forks/sticks but I don't think it is long enough.

Back view

side view

Frankenstein
March 13th, 2018, 09:03 PM
Are the hairs long enough for you to see the ends of them? If they look slightly tapered, they’re usually new growth. Broken hairs will look more blunt on the ends.

MusicalSpoons
March 14th, 2018, 09:00 AM
Elastics were what kept my hair raggedy and always needing a cut, so I'm always going to err on the side of caution and say that unless you know for certain your hair is okay with elastics, stop! Your hair stats say WL+ so as a finehaired ii you might well be able to use sticks and forks. If you have a chopstick or a smooth PEN (not poem! Thanks autocorrect :doh: ) or something, you can try those out to see if hairsticks might work. You'll probably be even better off with forks, as more prongs = more hold :)

But yeah, to answer your question you should be able to tell if you can find the end of the shorter hairs like Frankenstein said.

lapushka
March 14th, 2018, 09:43 AM
I think those might be too short to be breakage from a bun. A bun is about 4-6 inches pulled from each side to reach it, so these hairs can't even reach there.

I'd put my mind at ease.

You've got gorgeous curls! :)

I'd try to see whether or not you can put a pencil through a bun instead of wrapping it with elastics. A LWB (lazy wrap bun) is a bun you can do quite fast (a cinnabun probably needs more length). So you might try that one.

chomsky
March 14th, 2018, 11:15 AM
Just some flyaways don't worry! :o

Hair ties can cause breakage though, but this is more noticeable and is accompanied by splits etc.

longmane
March 14th, 2018, 02:47 PM
Frankenstein No, most of them are too short to see. I checked it infront of a mirror. Some are tapered! I didn't know about that tip, Thanks you :)

longmane
March 14th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Elastics were what kept my hair raggedy and always needing a cut, so I'm always going to err on the side of caution and say that unless you know for certain your hair is okay with elastics, stop! Your hair stats say WL+ so as a finehaired ii you might well be able to use sticks and forks. If you have a chopstick or a smooth poem or something, you can try those out to see if hairsticks might work. You'll probably be even better off with forks, as more prongs = more hold :)

But yeah, to answer your question you should be able to tell if you can find the end of the shorter hairs like Frankenstein said.

It is WL+ but the curls eat up some of the length. Today I was in a mission to make a stick held bun work. I found a modified version nautilus bun for shorter lengths. Mine is just long enough to hold it :joy: :joy:

longmane
March 14th, 2018, 03:09 PM
I think those might be too short to be breakage from a bun. A bun is about 4-6 inches pulled from each side to reach it, so these hairs can't even reach there.

I'd put my mind at ease.

You've got gorgeous curls! :)

I'd try to see whether or not you can put a pencil through a bun instead of wrapping it with elastics. A LWB (lazy wrap bun) is a bun you can do quite fast (a cinnabun probably needs more length). So you might try that one.

Thank you :o

I tried LWB my hair is a little to short to wrap. But I figured out a nautical bun with a stick for short hairs :joy:

MusicalSpoons
March 14th, 2018, 04:41 PM
It is WL+ but the curls eat up some of the length. Today I was in a mission to make a stick held bun work. I found a modified version nautilus bun for shorter lengths. Mine is just long enough to hold it :joy: :joy:

Woohoo! That's brilliant, well done! :D :cheer:

As for curls eating length, I've seen other curlies say that when bunning it's the stretched length that counts, seeing as that's what you're working with. Which is good news for protective styling :thumbsup: (though as an aside, I recently did rag curls [which was almost a disaster] and when I took the rags out, my hair had shrunk from mid-thigh to about MBL!!! :blueeek: I learned then what 'shrinkage' really means!)