PDA

View Full Version : Menopause and hair

Darkhorse1
October 30th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Curious to know how many ladies here, after they hit menopause, noticed a change in their hair.

in terms of hair loss/shedding, color/texture etc.

wimsey
October 30th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I'm officially post menopausal as of July and have not noticed any changes in my hair.

harpgal
October 30th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I am way past the big "M" event and the only thing different is that I'm getting whiter (or is it wiser?) by the day. :D

Fireweed
October 30th, 2008, 05:56 PM
No change for me in relation to my hair.

Raven69
October 31st, 2008, 12:11 PM
Ugh, currently here but no change. Only experience dry-nippy hair if I don't wash it after a day or two and I leave it in a messy bun the whole time - but only at the ends. Haven't cut my hair for well over a year now...It is so dry, humid and hot here.

dukkelisa
November 12th, 2008, 08:00 AM
My hair seems drier, but not in a bad crunchy way. I had extremely oily hair most of my life and absolutely had to wash it everyday. It may be that having it long makes a difference as I don't wash it as often, maybe every 3 or 4 days now. It is coming in white now, so the texture seems a bit different, nothing dramatic, but noticeable to me. It's not coarser, but seems not to take a shine much anymore. I also live on the high plains and it is harshly dry out here, no humidity at all. My skin and hair have both suffered.

Hedera
December 4th, 2009, 04:29 AM
I hope it's not considered bad manners to bump up a thread this old, but I would love to read more responses!

I'm not in menopause myself, but I've had a few changes in my hair this year due to change in BCP, not to mention that my hormones are weird without them anyway... And with menopause not that far off the horizon, I've started to worry about that, too.

Oddly enough, I couldn't find a lot of threads dealing with changes in hair due to menopause.

Tovah
December 4th, 2009, 04:39 AM
It's hard to pinpoint. There was dramatic change in thickness with each of my four pregnancies. My hair got thicker and then a major shed after having my babies. After menopause there has been change in color though!;) I started coloring it and blow drying at the beginning of menopause, so it's really hard to tell whether the dryness and breaking is a result of hormonal change or of the abuse.

Advise from a crone: Don't listen to 'friends' and hairdressers who say that you must cut and color your hair or you will look old. That is just patently wrong!

Oh, since I've been visiting this forum, my hair is healthier, shinier and I believe starting to get thicker.

Fiferstone
December 4th, 2009, 04:50 AM
I'm not yet menopausal, but at 47-going-on-48 I must be getting close. The main thing I've noticed is that the front of my hairline looks much thinner now than it did when I was in my 20s-30s. My mother has this as well. Otherwise, the greys are mostly the same texture as my "normal" hair. The color is mostly the same mousy brown it's always been, but I henna :).

bigmama8
December 4th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I'm past menopause and did not have any hair changes. I had pre-menopause symptoms for several years, but did not have any problems concerning my hair. However, during pregnancies, my hair grew really fast. I sure wish I could get it to do that again without being pregnant.