PDA

View Full Version : My hair is falling out and I'm desperate for any advice

Liminally
March 13th, 2018, 09:23 AM
So I'm in intermittent user here and if you've seen my pictures you know that my pride and joy is my long blue hair. I did finally achieve my goal of hitting waist length.....and now everything has gone to ****.

it started last month. Around Valentine's Day, my hair just started heavily shedding and it hasn't stopped. If I wash my hair the way I used to in the shower, I'm pulling out handfuls of it. I've been told it's not necessarily visually noticeable, but my ponytail/braid is at least 35% less thick than it was. I'm so depressed....it's been a rough few months (I'll get there in a second) and now the only thing I truly love about myself is leaving me.

i know stress is a factor so here's just a quick rundown of what's been going on/things I've thought might be adding to the problem:
- I moved in December which was stress city. Adjusting to living with someone else, also stressful.
- The water here is different and the shower heads are REALLY powerful. I really don't know if that could cause anything but it's worth mentioning.
- I have lost about 25 pounds since last October and it happened pretty quickly and I am the worst at being "nutritionally balanced" (I forget to eat, I can't eat fruits & vegetables because of the texture, etc)
- immediately after moving my car's water pump died.
- recently a window regulator went
- even more recently - someone rear ended me.
- at work I feel stressed and like I'm not appreciated so I've been trying to push myself to learn new skills
- after a year of being real depressed and not really taking care of myself at all, I started trying to do yoga again only to find my body does NOT want to cooperate with me in terms of getting my flexibility back to where it was and I have zero stamina.

I'm also taking vitamins - mostly from HUM; their "red carpet", omega supplement, adaptogen "chill", biotin. Not from HUM - vitamin b complex with vitamin c, vitamin D. I was taking the Sugar Bear Hair gummies and they really do wonderful things for me and have for years, I just haven't gotten around to reordering them (because a more expensive house + budgeting for two people = mooooore stress).

I'm going to be a little....mopey here but please bear with me. I don't have anywhere else to vent these thoughts, or another community who understands how devastating it is to have this happen to their hair:
i think I'm the most upset because it's like everything is being taken from me one by one. Oh hey, you're miserable about your weight? Good for you, you made medication & lifestyle changes and now you're proud of your body but oh yeah now you're going to be miserable about your hair. My flexibility, my stamina, the tools I use to relax and feel good, my hair....it's all being taken from me and I really don't know what to do. I know I need to "relax" but I can't. I'm trying really hard! But it's just not working.

I'm going in for a full blood draw at a wellness center in my area this Thursday, and they're going to test for everything from food allergies to hormone imbalances to thyroid functioning, etc. I won't get the results for 2 weeks after that. I know it'll probably tell me something, but I'm also depressed because nothing is going to replace the hair I've lost already. I worked for years from the most damaged hair with little accidents in between to baby it and keep it healthy and keep it growing and now a lot of it is just......gone.

Has anyone experienced this? Something like it? Any advice? Words of encouragement? Ways to keep me from sinking into a black hole of despair?

lapushka
March 13th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Stress can be a major factor, yes, but 30 odd % off your circumference is a lot just for stress. I think the weight loss might be a contributing factor. Are you eating enough? Getting enough calorie-intake, because that is a *major* reason for losing hair!

Can you visit the doctor? Have some bloodwork done? Esp. due to losing weight so fast and not being a balanced eater! Boy, red flags here.

I'm going in for a full blood draw at a wellness center in my area this Thursday, and they're going to test for everything from food allergies to hormone imbalances to thyroid functioning, etc. I won't get the results for 2 weeks after that. I know it'll probably tell me something, but I'm also depressed because nothing is going to replace the hair I've lost already. I worked for years from the most damaged hair with little accidents in between to baby it and keep it healthy and keep it growing and now a lot of it is just......gone.

Has anyone experienced this? Something like it? Any advice? Words of encouragement? Ways to keep me from sinking into a black hole of despair?

Oh good you're having it looked into! 2 weeks is a lot to wait for results? Really? OMG.

I lost a lot of hair when going through puberty (up to bald patches), and that was due to hormones, so *nothing* could be done.

You can start to do something, eating right, for one. That is something you do have control over.

It maybe isn't mentioned enough, but a well-balanced diet is *so* important for hair health!

nycelle
March 13th, 2018, 09:47 AM
It's good to have it checked out by a medical professional, that's really the best thing you can do right now.

I will say this though- stress AND weight loss are two huge contributors to temporary hair loss. Everyone I know, myself included noticed how their hair got thinner when they dieted. I have no idea how to fix this, or what nutrients our bodies are losing when we diet. Could just be the additional calories or fat, but it's perfectly "normal." Once your weight stabilizes, the loss stops.

JennGalt
March 13th, 2018, 02:16 PM
I don't have much to offer except for a virtual hug :blossom:

It sounds like you're trying to ensure your hair has adequate micronutrients to keep growing, and losing 25 lbs. is no small feat (congrats!) but your body might think you're starving. Forgetting to eat might mean your hair doesn't have all the protein and fat it needs. Maybe try setting some recurring reminders on your phone? If nothing else, maybe eating more regularly will help you feel a little better and help you cope with all that stress. Perhaps some gentle scalp massage might help too.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I hope things get better for you sooner rather than later! *hug*

enting
March 13th, 2018, 02:33 PM
Gosh that's a lot to go through in a short period of time! It's excellent you're taking supplements for micronutrients. I'll echo making sure you get enough macronutrients, especially protein. I have a friend who notices a significant difference in hair thickness dependent on protein intake. Less protein for this friend means automatic hair thinning and vice versa.

There also might be something enlightening and treatable that comes back in the blood test results, so it's good you're getting those done.

In the meantime, could it be an interaction between the water where you live now and the products you use? Would it be worth trying a few washes with "miracle water" or rainwater to see if those affect your current shedding?

If the shower head is too powerful for you, you could look into getting an adjustable stream showerhead to soften the flow, or maybe you could wash your hair in a basin for now and see if that is factoring in.

A *lot* of sheds are temporary and reverse themselves once the cause for the shed is gone. Would it make you feel any better to play around with parandi for added thickness during this tough time? Or would that just make you feel worse about it?

Sending supportive thoughts your way!

spitfire511
March 13th, 2018, 03:29 PM
Oh more hugs here... that's devastating! :wail:

Agreed with the others - the weight loss/stress is a flag it sounds like, and wonderful you're getting professionals to take a look.

Last summer/fall I lost hair like that. I used to couldn't get a regularly sized elastic around my circumference 3 times and now I can get it almost 4.

It did eventually stop around the time my circumstances changed - less stress was a huge component for me - but also figuring out I have some hormone/thyroid issues which are playing in as well. So some major dietary changes have been in order.

It's coming back now, and so I have all those lovely patches of 3 inch long hair, which I am doing my best to be glad for and not frustrated by.

:grouphug: let us know how it all turns out!

lapushka
March 13th, 2018, 03:51 PM
Yeah, forgot it when I wrote a rather hasty response earlier, but lots of hugs! It will get better, I'm sure of it.

:grouphug:

ReptilianFeline
March 14th, 2018, 12:39 AM
I know the feeling... sort of. The panic when there is more hair shed than normal. That's how I ended up going no-poo with herbs and chickpea flour, and fermenter rye flour and trying miracle water, still trying to find the right mix, simply because the shedding almost stopped, my scalp is almost itch-free and no dandruff anymore.

I'm going to have my sleep examined, still waiting for the apointment, and had a ton of blood work done as well. I know what it's like to wait for answers that may or mayn't help you. Hang in there!

You could try a version of no-poo, but the result is very very water dependant. I'm battling hard water and that is affecting my result, but the positive makes me want to go on.

TONS OF HUGS!

spidermom
March 14th, 2018, 06:56 AM
Stress can definitely trigger hair loss. I remember vacuuming up so much hair around the time that my father was dying and his house was in probate that it would clog the hose. Once my life stabilized, the loss stopped and I got lots of new growth sticking up all over my head, which became a factor for cutting my hair much shorter. Take care of yourself and focus on improving your health and habits as much as you can. The hair loss will stop at some point, I'm sure of it.

About yoga - I've been practicing daily for a little over 2 months. At my age, flexibility seems a distant dream, but I've been sticking with gentle beginner hatha yoga flows and restorative yoga. Little by little, I've been making some progress. Don't give up; yoga is excellent for managing stress.

tangocurl
March 14th, 2018, 01:39 PM
I agree with the others...and shedding can be seasonal, and stress can be seasonal too, and on top of all that, several difficult life events...I would be shedding too. All I can add is to do whatever you can to gently take care of yourself and pamper yourself. Having recently gone through some stress shedding, I am back on the expensive Nioxin routine (scalp only, and doing my best to keep it off the length).

It may not stop immediately, but it will eventually. :meditate:

Wendyp
March 14th, 2018, 06:12 PM
The good news is your hair will rebound once you figure out your health issues. I was getting huge shedding from oiling my scalp which I had no idea causes shedding in some people. And breakage from hard water with high chlorine. Basically my hair and scalp are big babies and are super sensitive. The monistat thing works for a lot of people to stop shedding but as no surprise it gave me a headache. Hang in there! You will figure it out!

Liminally
May 5th, 2018, 01:24 PM
Would it make you feel any better to play around with parandi for added thickness during this tough time? Or would that just make you feel worse about it?

Thank you so much - I do think it would make me feel better to use a parandi, I just don't know much (anything) about them. Is there a place I can learn more?

(Buckle up this is really long and I'm sorry but if you read it to the end please know I love and appreciate you)

So I've never been great with forums and I tried to quote everyone who's responded as a way to 'mention' all of you? But that failed miserably, so I just want to say to everyone who responded with advice and support and group hugs - THANK YOU!
I cried as I read each message, and then I had no more to say until I knew more. But I just wanted you all to know that I felt your love and support deeply and I appreciated it so so much.

To update the situation:
- Absolutely bafflingly, most of my labs came back totally normal. No thyroid problems even though I'm presenting clear as day thyroid symptoms.
- My B12 was a little low, but still within range, so now I get B12 shots occasionally. The doctor said that could explain my fatigue and lack of stamina. My number was 494 on a scale of 200-1245, she said she saw most people feel good and have the appropriate levels of energy around 600-700.
- My hormones were a little whack, and (not to be TMI but I'm really beyond modesty and caring...) on top of that I started having breakthrough bleeding during the second week of my cycle (and that's something that's never ever happened to me - let it be known then when I'm healthy, I'm healthy as a horse and nothing really "weird" or "unusual" goes on with me. That was another flurry of emergency doctor's appointments, and my doctor ended up changing my birth control pill. She said that also may be contributing to the hair loss (her money was on thyroid, she was also shocked to see my lab results) so I guess we'll see if that makes a difference.
- Iron levels, fine. Protein levels, fine.

The "official" pin-pointable things we ended up treating were:
- Adrenal fatigue: I take an adrenal support supplement and have been trying (unsuccessfully for the most part!) to lower my stress levels. I go to acupuncture regularly now for my anxiety and that's actually working. They also gave me magnesium supplements to take at night to promote stress reduction and healthy sleep.
- Possible issues with absorption of nutrients in my stomach (hence the lower B12 numbers even though I take supplements that have B12 in them): they gave me a probiotic to take.

Current Status:
- It's still happening. It's still shedding. I still don't know what to do, honestly.
I've tried different shampoos, I've tried handling it differently, I'm currently not brushing it (more about that later...), I'm taking my supplements regularly, and it doesn't seem quite as bad as it was at first - but it isn't better either.

- I'm really honestly trying to address the diet thing. But I've been pretty bad at it. I've come to the realization that as an adult woman I don't know how to feed myself. There are absolutely concrete reasons behind this but this post is shaping up to be long enough..
If anyone has any tips about how to...exist? meal plan? I don't even know, I would appreciate it.

-Speaking of despair and the weirdest thing that has probably ever happened to me:
So... last Saturday, I got out of the shower (formerly my happy place) and I cried. This had become very normal in the last couple of months, but last week was particularly bad. I saw how thin my hair looked wet, I felt how much hair was coming out in my hands while trying to (very gently) work products into it, and I just started sobbing.
I picked up my phone and I texted my hair stylist. I had asked her this favor before as a joke, back when my hair's length (and volume..) was making washing my hair a chore. I wanted to do it, but I didn't really mean to - it was a half joke.
But last weekend it wasn't.
I said, "My hair is still shedding and I can't take it. Can I come to you and have you wash my hair for me? I emotionally can't take doing this anymore. and it isn't helping me be less stressed."

Being the absolute angel that she is, she said yes (her salon is close to my work so it's not some big extravagance to do. it will ALSO help me rule out the water in my new house and/or the shower head pressure) and I went there yesterday. She lovingly did a cleansing sulfate wash and gave my scalp a really thorough massage (something I know is supposed to help with scalp health and hair growth but that I've become too scared to do). I brought all of my after-shower products for it and she gently detangled my hair and put them in and then I heard her say
"Wait, what the f**k??"
I asked what and she said "Your hair is wavier than I have EVER seen it! What's going on?!"

I've told her over the past span of maybe more than a year that my hair has been turning wavy. That it waves and some sections even curl when I get out of the shower. But she never saw them, so she didn't really believe me.
In the past few months (6, max) that has....accelerated, to put it mildly.
If you look, you'll see that I classified my hair type as 1c/2a - and that was a year ago. That....is no longer accurate.
Now it's more accurate to say it's 2b/2c/3a?(depending on the day and, weirdly, what conditioner I use).

My hair was still soaking wet and still presenting waves. Previously, the waves/curls were there but only when mostly dry and even then they'd disappear overnight. I told her "oh just wait, you haven't seen anything, wait until it starts drying more". She gently toweled off some of the moisture and watched the shapes start to become bigger and went "....do you want me to try putting a curl defining product in there?"

Let me break right here in this novel of a post (I am SO sorry but hey, at least I'm trying to tell an entertaining story? Idk, I'm sorry) and confess to you that I have Done The Thing where as a person with straight hair, you are convinced that you have a *little* wave and a curl defining product will turn you into Merida from Brave. Then you realize that's not how any of this works and, embarrassed, you never touch another curl product because now you know that they are Not For You.
So, the idea of putting a curl product in my hair had crossed my mind but 1) clearly I have a lot of other mess going on and it was a low priority and 2) I was also convinced that it would do nothing.

But I said, "yeah sure why not as long as it's not gritty". So into the mane it went and immediately I started seeing more definition. I left the salon with my hair still damp and made my way home. Once arrived, I looked in the mirror and was shocked. Curls! Curls everywhere! Big loose bouncy curls in some places, tighter spirals in others, tight waves in other places. Just....curls!
I LOVE it!! - so I guess that's sort of a silver lining. I'm happier with it than I have been in a very very long time. Having joy in my hair is something I haven't had. It's nice to have some back.
I didn't really brush it last week, for the same reason - my curls were more defined than before, and I've started to hate brushing my hair due to the shedding. But she confirmed that to keep the results of the styling creme in tact, I just pretty much had to leave my hair alone and not brush it. I love it /and/ it's going to give me a bonafide reason to stop worrying at it? Is it my birthday?

.......And then at 11pm last night I texted my hair stylist saying "Oh wait no! How am I supposed to keep these nice over night!?"
We did some quick research and I couldn't plop because my hair was dry, I don't own a silk/satin pillowcase (my pillow is huge I have no idea how I'll find one), I tried pineappleing briefly but my hair violently refused (think a Gibson Girl bun but in real life and not elegant or cute) plus my strongest curls are in the bottom half of my hair and I was worried about them getting squashed.
In the end I went for a very loose braid that I gently pinned up to the top of my head. The results were...mixed?
On one hand, I didn't lose definition against my head - and that's normally where it goes first. Plus, it kept my normally un-pinned braid off my neck and I think it contributed to me sleeping a lot better.
On the other, I lost my strongest and bounciest curls. They're still there, but they just don't have that spring. The waves and curls are still there for the most part, just more tame and I have no idea how to restore them to their glory without washing my hair again and that's a problem because I'd have to go back to the salon and even if I chanced it on my own, I didn't get a bottle of the curl enhancer because I still believed it wouldn't do anything serious.

On all hands - I have now seen the potential of my very bizarrely newfound curly/wavy hair and realized that I have NO CLUE how to take care of it.
I will probably make a separate thread for that? But wasn't sure if I should? I'm out of my depth here.
My entire life has been spent caring for hair that was so straight it literally refused to be curled even with an iron and half a can of hair spray.

In summation:
- Everything is still more or less terrible but I'm addressing the two remaining outlying causes of my hair falling out. Diet and the potential that my home water/shower is playing a part.
- Silver lining: My hair is curly now? And I love love LOVE that (because I've ALWAYS wanted this hair texture it's almost too good to be true that I've gotten something I wanted for a change - especially more or less in the middle of this complete disaster...) buuuuuut........I don't know how to take care of it? At least it's something to take my mind off the shedding?

lapushka
May 5th, 2018, 01:31 PM
Just to be on the safe side. You don't by chance use oils on your scalp do you? Some people shed *bucket loads* when they do this and it is not hair that was "supposed to come out" anyway, it is seriously a thinning issue. Some people react the same with conditioner on the scalp. So if you are doing anything of the sort. See what your hair does when not doing these things.

Just something I thought about, that you might not have even considered; in case you are doing these.

Liminally
May 5th, 2018, 01:36 PM
Just to be on the safe side. You don't by chance use oils on your scalp do you? Some people shed *bucket loads* when they do this and it is not hair that was "supposed to come out" anyway, it is seriously a thinning issue. Some people react the same with conditioner on the scalp. So if you are doing anything of the sort. See what your hair does when not doing these things.

Just something I thought about, that you might not have even considered; in case you are doing these.

Whoa! Thank you for bringing this to my attention!!
While I don't do oil on the scalp, I /have/ (well, had) gotten into the habit of getting conditioner on my scalp. I use oVertone to keep my hair color fresh, and that means I tend to be a little careless about getting it on my scalp since I want it to get to all of my hair.
That said, I've backed off the oVertone for a few reasons (a lighter set of blues is currently calling me). I'll make sure my stylist knows too (in case she doesn't? I imagine she'll tell me "absolute duh, Cass" but still doesn't hurt).

Again, thank you thank you so much!!

lapushka
May 5th, 2018, 01:58 PM
Whoa! Thank you for bringing this to my attention!!
While I don't do oil on the scalp, I /have/ (well, had) gotten into the habit of getting conditioner on my scalp. I use oVertone to keep my hair color fresh, and that means I tend to be a little careless about getting it on my scalp since I want it to get to all of my hair.
That said, I've backed off the oVertone for a few reasons (a lighter set of blues is currently calling me). I'll make sure my stylist knows too (in case she doesn't? I imagine she'll tell me "absolute duh, Cass" but still doesn't hurt).

Again, thank you thank you so much!!

You're welcome - just thought I'd mention it in case no one else had and there was a slight chance you were doing these things. :flower:

Are you bleaching your hair from the root? Might be that. I know it can be hard to hear, especially if you're used to it and have always done it without problems, but one time might be one time too many. I'm unsure. Only you know your hair.

JennGalt
May 5th, 2018, 03:19 PM
I just popped in to say congrats on the curls :applause and perhaps a visit to a dietitian is in order. If you're still having shedding issues and potential problems with nutrient absorption, maybe they can give you some specialized advice. They can even tailor a meal plan to your likes, needs, and lifestyle.

Learning to care for curls has been a lifelong challenge for me. It will be frustrating, but curls can provide you with more volume and make your hair look a little thicker. I am the sort of curly who needs oil from root to tip on a near daily basis, and am guessing my hair probably has very different needs from yours. So I will say only this: your curls will likely need more moisture than your straight hair required, since curls can make it difficult for sebum to travel down the length of your hair--and this might mean less frequent washing! Also braiding can mess up your curl pattern, so I sleep with my hair in a loose bun. Lastly, get a spray bottle to mist your hair when your curls need to be refreshed between washes. Hope that helps, and that things get better soon :blossom:

Rebeccalaurenxx
May 6th, 2018, 01:06 AM
When I was dealing with anorexia I went through the same things

I don’t mean to pry, but do you feel like your eating habits could be a form of anorexia?
I only ask because I myself would do the same “I don’t know how to feed myself” or I forgot I was busy
Etc and then before I knew it I was 108lbs. It wasn’t good. Things are better now. Stress really doesn’t help.
But not eating can actually make the stress worse. My doctor would tell me, I needed to eat more and that not eating was actually probably the reason why when I had panic attacks — they were BAD.

You should give soylent drinks a try. When I was in recovery I drank them loads to help me gain weight back
It also made it a lot harder to make the excuses about me not eating that I would make to myself.
Sure, it’s not real food but it gets you on the right track I think in terms of getting something in you.
Good luck

Joules
May 6th, 2018, 01:50 AM
Congrats on the curls!

I follow a Russian trichologist on Instagram (@sidorovaanastasiya, just look at her hair, it's the most perfect thing I've ever seen), she always says that stress-related hairloss starts 2-3 months after a stressful event and lasts for 6 months, then stops on its own. There's nothing you can do about it besides waiting, the hair has already gone into telogen and the only way to get it back is to wait till it falls out and new strands grow back. So I would suggest just relaxing and going with it, don't stress yourself more, it would only make the situation worse. (She also suggests scalp treatments with niacin, if you really want to help your hair during bad times)

Did you get tested for androgenetic alopecia? I don't think it's necessaily the case here, since you have quite a number of other things going on, but still. Maybe it's worth looking into, just to rule it out.

In the meantime, take care of yourself. Work on your nutrition, forget about good looks and think about health (I know women who experience symptoms of being underweight at 60kg, maybe looking at "perfect" numbers isn't the best idea?). Do yoga the way you can, even though your flexibility isn't like it used to be, just enjoy whatever you can do. I know telling a freaking out person to calm down would only make them freak out more, but really, just try to find some inner peace, focus on things that make you happy. That's what helped me go through a stressful time last July, at one point I just ran out of fluffs to give and started thinking of everything as "if it can't kill me or my loved ones, it's not worth stressing over". Things are just things. Weight is just a number. In the grand scheme of things a broken car or extra 5 pounds are totally meaningless. What matters is your inner wellbeing and happiness.

I wish you all the very best! :blossom:

Wendyp
May 6th, 2018, 06:19 AM
Been there. Find another doctor, preferably a naturopath or funtional medicine expert. I think our medicine sucks in this country. These stupid ranges that don’t make sense. Do you know that when I was presenting hypo thyroid 30 plus years ago my tsh was 4.8 and because the range was .05-5.0 I was normal and they wouldn’t treat me! Now the range is .05-3.0.?? It has taken me many years and doctors to find someone who can get to my underlying issues. If you present hypo thyroid You are hypo thyroid. Your hair is telling you something. Find someone who thinks outside the box and will help you,

Liminally
May 6th, 2018, 10:09 AM
Are you bleaching your hair from the root? Might be that. I know it can be hard to hear, especially if you're used to it and have always done it without problems, but one time might be one time too many. I'm unsure. Only you know your hair.

I am, and I'm right there with you as far as being unsure goes. A little while after this started it was time for me to go in and get my roots done and I was very scared about it. I told my stylist what was going on and she kept a close monitor on me during the bleaching process to make sure nothing out of the ordinary was happening. As I said, the condition as whole has remained relatively unchanged, but it was slightly less after that. Whether that's coincidence or not I have no idea, but it didn't cause a spike in making it worse. I have another 3 or so weeks to go before I'm due again and I guess she and I will re-evaluate then.

I just popped in to say congrats on the curls :applause and perhaps a visit to a dietitian is in order. If you're still having shedding issues and potential problems with nutrient absorption, maybe they can give you some specialized advice. They can even tailor a meal plan to your likes, needs, and lifestyle.

Learning to care for curls has been a lifelong challenge for me. It will be frustrating, but curls can provide you with more volume and make your hair look a little thicker. I am the sort of curly who needs oil from root to tip on a near daily basis, and am guessing my hair probably has very different needs from yours. So I will say only this: your curls will likely need more moisture than your straight hair required, since curls can make it difficult for sebum to travel down the length of your hair--and this might mean less frequent washing! Also braiding can mess up your curl pattern, so I sleep with my hair in a loose bun. Lastly, get a spray bottle to mist your hair when your curls need to be refreshed between washes. Hope that helps, and that things get better soon :blossom:

Thank you! I guess the good news is that since I've spent a lot of time dealing with chemically damaged hair, I'm relatively primed to make my routine more hydrating if need be. I'm already using an obscene amount of after shower products, what are a few more?
I agree, a visit to a nutritionist is probably necessary. I'm just scared it won't help because I'm a picky eater in the most absurd way possible....I can't eat fruits and vegetables and it's 100% a texture thing. Hell I only recently was able to learn to like nuts in the last 5 years and I wish I was kidding.
I can't believe I'm this bad at being a person lol

When I was dealing with anorexia I went through the same things

I don’t mean to pry, but do you feel like your eating habits could be a form of anorexia?
I only ask because I myself would do the same “I don’t know how to feed myself” or I forgot I was busy
Etc and then before I knew it I was 108lbs. It wasn’t good. Things are better now. Stress really doesn’t help.
But not eating can actually make the stress worse. My doctor would tell me, I needed to eat more and that not eating was actually probably the reason why when I had panic attacks — they were BAD.

You should give soylent drinks a try. When I was in recovery I drank them loads to help me gain weight back
It also made it a lot harder to make the excuses about me not eating that I would make to myself.
Sure, it’s not real food but it gets you on the right track I think in terms of getting something in you.
Good luck

Oh don't worry, it's not prying at all! As a rule in general, I have no problem sharing anything that one would normally consider "personal" when the goal is to help answer a question, or help people understand what's going on with me.
I do feel that, yes, but it's not intentional. If that makes sense? I've always been small, and whenever I've gained weight it's been due to medication. This time, what happened was I was very unhappy with the weight I had gained and been unable to get off so I started looking into the medications I was on. One of them popped up with another nasty side effect that I had, but didn't realize was a side effect of this medication (elevated serum cholesterol). So with my doc's blessing I stopped it and all of a sudden, I was no longer eating 1000+ calories every night before bed because I felt like I was starving (ultimate joke: the medication I was on was to help me sleep, but I later found out it's prescribed to people recovering from EDs because of how strongly it increases the appetite) and the weight just fell off.
I don't feel hungry on a normal schedule and I hate forcing myself to eat - on top of not knowing how to feed myself. So yeah that's a giant cluster of stuff that adds up to me eating way WAY less calories than a person should a day, but not on purpose?

I've tried the original soylent and oooh it was god awful. Do they make flavors or anything now? I was told the original tasted like pancake mix and I was really bummed out when it didn't.

Congrats on the curls!

I follow a Russian trichologist on Instagram (@sidorovaanastasiya, just look at her hair, it's the most perfect thing I've ever seen), she always says that stress-related hairloss starts 2-3 months after a stressful event and lasts for 6 months, then stops on its own. There's nothing you can do about it besides waiting, the hair has already gone into telogen and the only way to get it back is to wait till it falls out and new strands grow back. So I would suggest just relaxing and going with it, don't stress yourself more, it would only make the situation worse. (She also suggests scalp treatments with niacin, if you really want to help your hair during bad times)

Did you get tested for androgenetic alopecia? I don't think it's necessaily the case here, since you have quite a number of other things going on, but still. Maybe it's worth looking into, just to rule it out.

In the meantime, take care of yourself. Work on your nutrition, forget about good looks and think about health (I know women who experience symptoms of being underweight at 60kg, maybe looking at "perfect" numbers isn't the best idea?). Do yoga the way you can, even though your flexibility isn't like it used to be, just enjoy whatever you can do. I know telling a freaking out person to calm down would only make them freak out more, but really, just try to find some inner peace, focus on things that make you happy. That's what helped me go through a stressful time last July, at one point I just ran out of fluffs to give and started thinking of everything as "if it can't kill me or my loved ones, it's not worth stressing over". Things are just things. Weight is just a number. In the grand scheme of things a broken car or extra 5 pounds are totally meaningless. What matters is your inner wellbeing and happiness.

I wish you all the very best! :blossom:

Thank you! That timeline does accurately add up. I experienced a bulk of that stress in December, and come February the shedding began. I'm trying really really hard not to stress about it - some days are getting better than others, when I just don't care. Honestly the addition of the curls helps, it gives me something to be happy about with my hair. I'm trying to do more things that make me happy, it's just difficult for a whole host of reasons I won't whine about here.
This coming June should be better; I dog sit once a year for a whole month for two amazing beagles and I love them with my whole heart. And the house I stay in is the closest thing to a tropical resort here in my state I can think of. The house is beautiful, it's full of light, amazing bathtub, outdoor pool (I could spend another 30 minutes gushing about this pool but it's a beach entrance and it makes my entire soul so happy) and the most beautiful pool deck where my favorite thing to do is sit and watch the last of the setting sun and feel how warm the stones still are from the day. I might be kind of miserable now but I'm trying, and I'm still hopeful for the days ahead.

I haven't gotten tested for any form of alopecia yet, and I know my next step should this continue is to find a dermatologist who specializes in hair/scalp but I'm honestly at a loss for how to go about that. Coupled with the fact that every time I pick a doctor that I think will be good they end up being terrible, and I'm 100% lost without a clue as to where to go.

Been there. Find another doctor, preferably a naturopath or funtional medicine expert. I think our medicine sucks in this country. These stupid ranges that don’t make sense. Do you know that when I was presenting hypo thyroid 30 plus years ago my tsh was 4.8 and because the range was .05-5.0 I was normal and they wouldn’t treat me! Now the range is .05-3.0.?? It has taken me many years and doctors to find someone who can get to my underlying issues. If you present hypo thyroid You are hypo thyroid. Your hair is telling you something. Find someone who thinks outside the box and will help you,

Oh I agree. The kicker here is that I didn't go to a traditional doctor; I went to a "wellness center" that claims to look at things differently and assess things that are close to the range but still within it. Under their way of thinking, they would have absolutely looked at your TSH and said while in range, it's still high.
Honestly, I felt like the doctor at the center who interpreted my results didn't take my weight loss into account at freaking all. yes, I might "look fine" at this weight, but that's still a lot of weight in a short amount of time and she completely bypassed the medical consequences of that. It was frustrating, and much like mentioned above, I don't know where else to look. It's a disheartening feeling.

Peggy E.
May 6th, 2018, 10:14 AM
Mine has also been falling out like crazy, but it is mostly due to the fact that my (won't use term he deserves here) doctor took me completely and immediately off the premarin I'd been taking since age 31, when I'd had a complete hysterectomy/ovarectcomy(sp) and that sudden, drastic rush into menopause caused a drastic loss in my hair.

It was ridiculous for that doctor to do so, as your body does not naturally immediately go into menopause - it is a slower process. I was able to get him to prescribe a half dose of my premarin and this has slowed down the massive hair loss, though, of course, it is still caught up in a very rapid loss, just not as heart-breaking as had been when he cut me completely off.

I see you are in your 50's - might menopause also have some contibuting factor to the loss?

Wendyp
May 6th, 2018, 12:03 PM
Oh call around then! If you are in your 50s as I am huge changes! You got to have someone who specializes in this AND is good at it. Suzanne summers has a link for approved bioidentic hormones maybe start with a dr there but take your results and screen the heck out of them! Don’t take no, your symptomatic so you need to figure out what’s going on . For more than your hair may I add.

enting
May 6th, 2018, 12:54 PM
Thank you so much - I do think it would make me feel better to use a parandi, I just don't know much (anything) about them. Is there a place I can learn more?

Here's a thread linking to how to make one and where those of us who wear them share our pictures http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91490
There are even ways to make yarn parandi that look curly/coily. Some people keep their paranda in for days. I wouldn't recommend that you keep one in for more than a day at a time though, just in case the weight of it increases shedding.

I'm not familiar with soylent drinks specifically, but some sort of liquid meal supplement sounds like it could be a good move until you figure out food better.

I also supplement B12 even though I'm within normal range, and I do find that it makes a difference in my life. (I haven't noticed it affecting my hair, specifically, but other things.)
It may help to look into what foods are supposed to help with energy even though your tests came back normal. Food is nonspecific and can help even if you don't have an exact diagnosis. I wonder, in addition to the probiotics, if taking something that helps break down food and aids digestion that way would help you. Digesting food takes a lot of energy, and if you don't have a lot to begin with it can fatigue you more.

Congratulations on the curls of your dreams! Keeping curls nice any day after wash day is a constant challenge :) I recently asked a relative how she manages to have such nice curls after having slept on it. She replied that she has no idea, sometimes they stay, sometimes they don't.

Liminally
May 7th, 2018, 03:23 PM
Mine has also been falling out like crazy, but it is mostly due to the fact that my (won't use term he deserves here) doctor took me completely and immediately off the premarin I'd been taking since age 31, when I'd had a complete hysterectomy/ovarectcomy(sp) and that sudden, drastic rush into menopause caused a drastic loss in my hair.

It was ridiculous for that doctor to do so, as your body does not naturally immediately go into menopause - it is a slower process. I was able to get him to prescribe a half dose of my premarin and this has slowed down the massive hair loss, though, of course, it is still caught up in a very rapid loss, just not as heart-breaking as had been when he cut me completely off.

I see you are in your 50's - might menopause also have some contibuting factor to the loss?

Oh call around then! If you are in your 50s as I am huge changes! You got to have someone who specializes in this AND is good at it. Suzanne summers has a link for approved bioidentic hormones maybe start with a dr there but take your results and screen the heck out of them! Don’t take no, your symptomatic so you need to figure out what’s going on . For more than your hair may I add.

Oh no I think there's been a confusion! I just turned 30. I don't have my age listed in my profile, but I see it comes up around where the number of posts does. However - when I was having the doctor read my results, she essentially told me the hormones page was useless because I was on the birth control pill.
I had my obgyn look at them, as well as another friend who I keep forgetting is a brilliant doctor (and who's dad is a very good obgyn), and they all said that my testosterone was low which could indicate a move into early or peri menopause.
My doctor changed my pill, so I guess we'll see if anything happens?

Here's a thread linking to how to make one and where those of us who wear them share our pictures http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91490
There are even ways to make yarn parandi that look curly/coily. Some people keep their paranda in for days. I wouldn't recommend that you keep one in for more than a day at a time though, just in case the weight of it increases shedding.

I'm not familiar with soylent drinks specifically, but some sort of liquid meal supplement sounds like it could be a good move until you figure out food better.

I also supplement B12 even though I'm within normal range, and I do find that it makes a difference in my life. (I haven't noticed it affecting my hair, specifically, but other things.)
It may help to look into what foods are supposed to help with energy even though your tests came back normal. Food is nonspecific and can help even if you don't have an exact diagnosis. I wonder, in addition to the probiotics, if taking something that helps break down food and aids digestion that way would help you. Digesting food takes a lot of energy, and if you don't have a lot to begin with it can fatigue you more.

Congratulations on the curls of your dreams! Keeping curls nice any day after wash day is a constant challenge :) I recently asked a relative how she manages to have such nice curls after having slept on it. She replied that she has no idea, sometimes they stay, sometimes they don't.

Thank you!! That is what I'm worried about, the weight increasing the shedding, but oooh they're all so pretty! Next thing you know I'll be standing in a yarn aisle of a craft store holding different shades of blues up to my hair haha
I think I'm still a little lost on how to make them and what they can be made out of (jokes about yarn aside, it's one of my least favorite textures) but hopefully I'll figure it out with some more careful reading.

I'm certainly up for that kind of digestive aid - my stomach doesn't seem to like the probiotic too much. Everything feels very stagnant and always upset.

I have learned this. I'm going back to my hairstylist tomorrow to get her to wash out the frizzy mess I've made (last night I took a hot bath and wow it didn't go well for my hair) and bring home a tube of the product she used on it, so hopefully I'll get the hang of it? I definitely do need to get around to ordering a satin sleep cap though; something tells me that's the way it's going to be easiest.

enting
May 10th, 2018, 03:14 AM
You can make parandi out of pretty much anything that is stringlike. Sock cotton or ribbons may appeal to you more as far as texture goes. Some people even make theirs out of hair extension or wig hair material. Crown braiding with a paranda can help distribute weight. You could also use a fashion scarf to bulk up your hair. In that case, you could start braiding the scarf in straight into the braid like with a paranda, or you could tie it on like a headband first and then braid it in - that could also help support its weight.

I find I like drinking pineapple juice a lot for digestion. It's not so commonly available where I live, but when I find it, I buy it. I think there exists a powdered bromelain digestive aid made from pineapples.