PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite sulfate shampoo?

lapushka
March 12th, 2018, 09:13 AM
I thought there is a favorite sulfate-free shampoo thread, let's make one for regular sulfate shampoos (non clarifying, even though sulfates on their own can clarify if the shampoo is silicone-free).

So? Do tell.

My current favorite is the Novalis Aloe Vera shampoo. It has water, then AV, then the detergents (which are sulfates). I love it so far.

I also like the Herbal Essences Dazzling shine (discontinued, but I do still have bottles of it).

And of course my all-time favorite the Pantene Aqua Light or their volumizing shampoo.

nycelle
March 12th, 2018, 09:34 AM
When I was using Sulfates, my favorite was: Herbal Essences Argan Oil of Morroco. I think it's one of their newer ones.
In fact, it was the last one I used before going back to sulfate free.

I was so upset too because I loved the way it left my hair. My scalp though.. no.

longmane
March 12th, 2018, 09:38 AM
I use Tresemme botanique Nourish and replenish. Sulfate free shampoos were never cleansing enough, I would use one and my scalp would still itch few hours after washing. Tresemme botanique Nourish& replenish cleanses my scalp and hair really well. I also find it gentle enough for my hair to use it two times a week.

lapushka
March 12th, 2018, 10:11 AM
I use Tresemme botanique Nourish and replenish. Sulfate free shampoos were never cleansing enough, I would use one and my scalp would still itch few hours after washing. Tresemme botanique Nourish& replenish cleanses my scalp and hair really well. I also find it gentle enough for my hair to use it two times a week.

Wish we could get Tresemme here. Maybe that'll happen one day. :) As if I don't have enough products left to try. LOL! :D

MoonRabbit
March 12th, 2018, 02:17 PM
My all time favorite is Tio Nacho with red pepper extract and royal jelly. Sadly my store stopped carrying it for almost a year now. I could get it online but I would be paying twice the amount. Nothing I've used since has compared to it. Really goes to show how big corporations don't give two hoots about keeping a consistent ethic beauty section. I swear every time I go to the store that section keeps getting smaller and smaller.

Arctic
March 12th, 2018, 02:29 PM
My favourite might be Urtekram's Lavendar shampoo. For a long time it was Finnish XZ brand's Chocolate Vanilla shampoo, but for some reason it doesn't agree well with my hair anymore, especially in the long run.

lapushka
March 12th, 2018, 02:54 PM
My favourite might be Urtekram's Lavendar shampoo. For a long time it was Finnish XZ brand's Chocolate Vanilla shampoo, but for some reason it doesn't agree well with my hair anymore, especially in the long run.

Isn't Urtekram sulfate-free (of sulfate-mild). I always noticed because my SD started to flare.

Stray_mind
March 12th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Indola anti dandruff shampoo is my favorite ever. Too bad it isn't sold anymore in local stores. Maybe i can get it online though.

That was about the only shampoo which didn't make my scalp itch and flake.

Flowerness
March 12th, 2018, 03:55 PM
Anything that is Coconut scented! I love that smell in shampoo! Any brand, really... I just like inexpensive, something effective with lots of yummy smelling bubbles!

lapushka
March 12th, 2018, 05:11 PM
Anything that is Coconut scented! I love that smell in shampoo! Any brand, really... I just like inexpensive, something effective with lots of yummy smelling bubbles!

Have you ever tried Inecto coconut shampoo? They sell it in the EU & UK, I think too. I don't know where you're from, so...

lapushka
March 12th, 2018, 05:12 PM
Indola anti dandruff shampoo is my favorite ever. Too bad it isn't sold anymore in local stores. Maybe i can get it online though.

That was about the only shampoo which didn't make my scalp itch and flake.

The Indola brand do really great dyes! Back when I still dyed my hair, that was a clear favorite.

No idea they did shampoos too. :) Maybe you can still find it online?

longmane
March 12th, 2018, 06:27 PM
Wish we could get Tresemme here. Maybe that'll happen one day. :) As if I don't have enough products left to try. LOL! :D

Trying out new products is always fun! Unfortunately my bank account says otherwise :grin:

Dark40
March 12th, 2018, 08:25 PM
My all-time favorite sulfate shampoos are Alberto VO5 Extra Body Volumizing Shampoo, Pantene Pro-V Shampoo, and Garnier Fructis Shampoo.

Arctic
March 13th, 2018, 04:00 AM
Isn't Urtekram sulfate-free (of sulfate-mild). I always noticed because my SD started to flare.

They are sulphate shampoos (one inci below). I don't have time to google now, but I remember doing so in the past, and recall that sodium coco-sulfate is more or less the same as sodium lauryl sulphate, just slightly less refined.

As for mildness, I can't say for sure. They do have shampoos for different hair types, and the lavendar one is for normal hair. I always tend to choose shampoos for normal hair, and I think this is approx. the same strength than my other shampoos. It cleases very well for me, which is why I love it: nice cleaning ability, no drying, doesn't give me buildup like some shampoos do. This also keeps my sensitive scalp very happy, and has never triggered SD-like symptoms on me (and I am not stranger to those).

The INCI says that that sulphate is the third ingredient, which makes it seem like it could be lower sulphate. But I've come to understand that when the ingredient after water is "watery", like aloe here, it could actually be counted together with the water as one ingredient, when it comes to the water to sulphate ratio. But of course I have no way of knowing that for sure.

This is the inci of their Lavendar shampoo (my favourite):

INCI: Aqua, aloe barbadensis leaf extract*, sodium coco-sulfate, glycerin**, coco-glucoside, lauryl glucoside, glyceryl oleate, sodium chloride, lavandula angustifolia flower extract, lavendulae angustifolia oil*, parfum, polyglyceryl-4 caprate, xanthan gum,lysolecithin, coco-caprylate, tocopherol, beta-sitosterol, squalene, linalool. (* = ingredient from Organic Farming, ** = made using organic ingredients).

lapushka
March 13th, 2018, 04:50 AM
I still always thought of Urtekram as sulfate-free (non SLS / SLES), which is roughly what is understood as "sulfate-free".

Arctic
March 13th, 2018, 05:06 AM
Well I can't change your mind, as we have had this conversation probably close to 10 times by now over the years, he he! :D I almost expected you to say something about it, and almost didn't post because of that - I don't have time to discuss whether my favourite sulphate shampoo is sulphate shampoo in someone else's mind. Or try to proof anything. It is sulphate shampoo in any stretch of definition in my opinion.

I understand suplhate free as actually suplhate free (no sulphates).

Urtekram definitely has sulphates. As I wrote, it practically has Sodium Layrul Sulphate, only in less refined form. I can't wrap my head around how it wouldn't then be a sulphate shampoo.

ETA: I'm sorry if I was blunt, but I am really tired of having to have this conversation again and again.

Henni
March 13th, 2018, 12:36 PM

My all time favorite sulphate shampoo is XZ apple. I have tried to like Urtekram shampoos (sulphate is sulphate even it is coconut derived), but never seemed to agree with my hair as they made my hair more rough and tangle prone.

lapushka
March 13th, 2018, 02:23 PM
Well I can't change your mind, as we have had this conversation probably close to 10 times by now over the years, he he! :D I almost expected you to say something about it, and almost didn't post because of that - I don't have time to discuss whether my favourite sulphate shampoo is sulphate shampoo in someone else's mind. Or try to proof anything. It is sulphate shampoo in any stretch of definition in my opinion.

I understand suplhate free as actually suplhate free (no sulphates).

Urtekram definitely has sulphates. As I wrote, it practically has Sodium Layrul Sulphate, only in less refined form. I can't wrap my head around how it wouldn't then be a sulphate shampoo.

ETA: I'm sorry if I was blunt, but I am really tired of having to have this conversation again and again.

Ah well, we'll just agree to disagree. :)

MoonRabbit
March 13th, 2018, 06:06 PM

Just checked out Urtekram's products and I am very interested now. I might try the rose shampoo one day, When I can treat myself to some online shopping.

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 9th, 2018, 06:17 PM
Was about to start a post for this.
I want to switch back to sulphates, I dont think the current shampoo I use that has 0 sulphates, gets my hair clean enough.
Any suggestions?

A lot of shampoos I have liked in the past seem to contain silicones.

Frankenstein
July 9th, 2018, 06:30 PM
My favorite shampoo is any of the Vo5 formulations or Suave Essentials. A year ago I switched to harsh sulfate shampoos without any silicones or oils and my scalp & hair have been a lot better.

gustavonut
July 9th, 2018, 07:43 PM
Most suave shampoos especially waterfall mist.
Tresseme
Aussie
Herbal essences shine collection.

Xlena
July 9th, 2018, 08:01 PM
Any from Herbal Essences!

Milkchocolate
July 9th, 2018, 08:38 PM
10 years of using mane n tail!!! :) I love it and there’s no other shampoo like it! Am I the only one whos still obsessed? I’ve tried other shampoos since then but I will always go back to this one! It just makes my hair feel thicker, stronger, voluminous and overall healthier ❤️ When people have asked me for my recommendations, I have always said mane n tail. I’m so loyal to it because it does amazing things for me ❤️

ExpectoPatronum
July 9th, 2018, 09:51 PM
I was a Pantene kinda gal. I also really liked Garnier Triple Nutrition in the yellow bottle for the longest time.

Right now I use Suave clarifying when I feel like I have too much gunk on my hair. I really like it for a deep clean.

AutobotsAttack
July 9th, 2018, 10:07 PM
Pantene shampoo

Arciela
July 9th, 2018, 10:21 PM
Fekkai apple cider clarifying :)

Obsidian
July 9th, 2018, 10:53 PM
Was about to start a post for this.
I want to switch back to sulphates, I dont think the current shampoo I use that has 0 sulphates, gets my hair clean enough.
Any suggestions?

A lot of shampoos I have liked in the past seem to contain silicones.

Suave daily clarifying shampoo. Its cone and oil free, my absolute favorite shampoo.

Gwyned
July 9th, 2018, 11:00 PM
I love Suave's Daily Clarifying shampoo. It's the only shampoo that works to keep my hair clean and free of build up.

Gwyned
July 9th, 2018, 11:01 PM
Suave daily clarifying shampoo. Its cone and oil free, my absolute favorite shampoo.

OMG! I didn't even read your reply. That shampoo is awesome! I'm hoping and praying that they never discontinue it.

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 10th, 2018, 12:54 AM

Picked up a bottle from walmart today! I cant remember if i liked this shampoo back in my earlier days at LHC but for like 97 cents, why not try.
I use to use the anti residue shampoo from neutrogena regularly a few years ago, loved that one, but its more expensive.

Rowdy
July 10th, 2018, 02:33 AM
Neutrogena anti residue. I really wanted to like sauve daily clarifying when I first came here but it made my hair dry and greasy somehow.

lapushka
July 10th, 2018, 04:44 AM
The Pantene Aqua Light is one of my faves, and if you can't get that the volumizing one is good too (both without silicones, if you care about that).

toastmouse
July 10th, 2018, 01:59 PM
I really like Suma's Clear and Simple shampoo- it's super basic, cone free, vegan and comes in a fragrance free version if those are things anyone is looking for. I don't know how available it is outside the UK though.

BrightEyes
July 10th, 2018, 02:04 PM
On occasion I like to use Sebastian Drench shampoo. It cleans well and gives my hair fullness. And it smells so good. If it was sulfate-free I'd use it more.

Beckstar
July 10th, 2018, 02:08 PM
Aussie Moist

Panthera
July 10th, 2018, 04:56 PM
Aussie Miracle moist