PDA

View Full Version : pre-surgery desinfectant wash & hair?

shaiyeh
March 11th, 2018, 04:02 PM
Okay, so I'm going in for surgery this friday.
Before surgery, I have to wash my hair & body with descutan 4%,which is like a disinfectant soap. Two washes, 2ce per wash. I've done this before, no big deal. I'm just thinking is there anyway I can minimize the damage done to my hair? (and skin? ;_;)
Last time, it dried my hair and skin out like absolute crazy, but my hair was significantly shorter. My hair is down to my waist now, FINALLY, so I'm scared to ruin it.

I've already planned to oil and henna it and stuff after surgery is done, but is there anything I can do to boost it beforehand? massive pre "poo"(desinfectant) coconut oil soak?
Any tips are welcome <3

lapushka
March 11th, 2018, 04:48 PM
I'd not "influence" the outcome of the disinfectant with any kind of pre-poo, which could make the disinfectant less effective, so I would just wash with it.

You can pamper your hair afterwards, when you're fully healed, with some nice deep conditioners.

Good luck for your surgery. I hope it all goes well. :flower:

Mrstran
March 11th, 2018, 08:16 PM
I’m not sure about minimizing damage before hand. There’s really nothing you can put on it while being safe with the surgery. I was given the same soap to use before my surgery to remove a brain tumor three months ago. The funny thing is, they told me to only use it from my neck down. ???? I’m a bit confused as to why they are making you use it on your hair. Or maybe why they didn’t have me use it on my hair. Hmmm

akurah
March 12th, 2018, 11:42 PM
I would wager it won't irreparably damage your hair, it just might make it not-fun-to-deal-with for awhile.

I would not deviate from the instructions at all, and when your doctor says you can resume your normal hair routine, pamper it

cjk
March 13th, 2018, 04:27 PM
The purpose of the disinfectant soap is to prevent post surgical infection.

That's a higher priority than pretty hair.

If it's that much of a concern for you, talk to your doctor or his nurse about it. You can't be the only one to ever have this concern. But, given the choice between luxurious hair and a hospital super-germ, I'd shave my head first!