PDA

View Full Version : Question about toning hair

biene16
March 9th, 2018, 02:15 PM
Hi there!
I've been growing out my natural hair color for about four months now and I love it (it's some kinda medium blonde) but I had dyed my hair back in October with a demi (brown color) and it has now faded to this orange-yellow-blonde color:
https://imgur.com/a/gNswi

It's super obvious in direct lighting or when I'm outside.

I do want to tone it to match it more to the color of my roots but Idk if I can just use an ash blonde color without dying my roots and having to start all over again with the growing out process - I don't want to have to start all over basically.

I use purple shampoo (Clairol Shimmer Lights) and the Matrix Brass Off shampoo a few times per week, switching between both of them. I even tried leaving them on for several hours on dry hair but I feel like it doesn't do anything at all ...

Should I try something like Manic Panic maybe? Any suggestions are welcome :)

nycelle
March 9th, 2018, 03:23 PM
Hi there!
I've been growing out my natural hair color for about four months now and I love it (it's some kinda medium blonde) but I had dyed my hair back in October with a demi (brown color) and it has now faded to this orange-yellow-blonde color:
https://imgur.com/a/gNswi

It's super obvious in direct lighting or when I'm outside.

I do want to tone it to match it more to the color of my roots but Idk if I can just use an ash blonde color without dying my roots and having to start all over again with the growing out process - I don't want to have to start all over basically.

I use purple shampoo (Clairol Shimmer Lights) and the Matrix Brass Off shampoo a few times per week, switching between both of them. I even tried leaving them on for several hours on dry hair but I feel like it doesn't do anything at all ...

Should I try something like Manic Panic maybe? Any suggestions are welcome :)

When I was coloring and highlighting, the only way I was able to keep the blonde from turning brassy was getting it toned every 3 weeks at my stylist. I don't know what products they use, but they're stronger than what you can get locally. It was the only way to keep my very light caramel color, and ashy highlights from going yellow.

lapushka
March 9th, 2018, 03:39 PM
I don't see anything brassy on your hair. I think you are being really *really* strict on yourself. I would not touch it with any toners or dye anymore and just let it be. I honestly don't see anything "off".

sumidha
March 9th, 2018, 04:05 PM
Hmm, you could potentially try something like color oops to lift the last of the brown dye out, and you could also make a stronger toner with a mixture of a purple non-permanent dye like Manic Panic and conditioner, but I think it will be very hard, or almost impossible to match your natural color, which is lovely btw, so it might be worth it to just wait it out... Good luck! :)

cjk
March 9th, 2018, 04:24 PM
It's not an abrupt difference, but there does seem to be a relatively distinct line.

Just washing your hair with color shampoo is not going to fix the color difference. You need to either remove the dye or cancel it, and it only.

And based on what you wrote I question whether you have the skill to achieve an even color all the way from root to tip.

So I have a different suggestion. Don't try to remove it. Any bleach is going to damage the hair. Since you find the color difference bothersome, consider using a balayage technique to soften the transition between the two, leaving the golden blond at the tips as a highlight?

Your hair is already two different colors...make it look intentional.

lucid
March 9th, 2018, 05:48 PM
I don't even think you'd need a "full" balayage. A few highlights would soften the transition a lot I think. Be sure that the highlights are the ones that look soft and not the stripy kind, then it will blend nicely with your natural color. Bleach is very damaging though, so keep that in mind. I understand if you don't wanna go for this solution. I'm growing out bleach damage myself now, and regret my highlights a lot...

biene16
March 9th, 2018, 05:55 PM
Hmm, you could potentially try something like color oops to lift the last of the brown dye out, and you could also make a stronger toner with a mixture of a purple non-permanent dye like Manic Panic and conditioner, but I think it will be very hard, or almost impossible to match your natural color, which is lovely btw, so it might be worth it to just wait it out... Good luck! :)

Thank you! :) I think I worded it weird but I don't want to match it my roots exactly - I just want to get the orange/yellow/brassy tones to be more ashy and less "warm". I figured purple and blue shampoo would fix it but it just looks the same to be honest and it's been a few weeks. If you think a purple Manic Panic color would work with conditioner then I'd give that a shot! I just wasn't sure if I would need to get purple or blue color based on the tone .. the last picture is what it looks like when I'm outside or in natural lighting and Idk for sure if that's more yellow or orange haha

biene16
March 9th, 2018, 06:05 PM
It's not an abrupt difference, but there does seem to be a relatively distinct line.

Just washing your hair with color shampoo is not going to fix the color difference. You need to either remove the dye or cancel it, and it only.

And based on what you wrote I question whether you have the skill to achieve an even color all the way from root to tip.

So I have a different suggestion. Don't try to remove it. Any bleach is going to damage the hair. Since you find the color difference bothersome, consider using a balayage technique to soften the transition between the two, leaving the golden blond at the tips as a highlight?

Your hair is already two different colors...make it look intentional.

I'm not really trying to achieve the same color as my roots - sorry for the poor wording! I meant that I don't want to do anything to my roots in terms of dying it etc. I just want to get rid of all the warm tones that the color I used faded into. I want it to just be more ashy in general :) I never tried balayage and I'm not sure what I'd have to do but if I would have to blend in both colors, I don't think I would be skilled enough to do that

biene16
March 9th, 2018, 06:07 PM
I don't even think you'd need a "full" balayage. A few highlights would soften the transition a lot I think. Be sure that the highlights are the ones that look soft and not the stripy kind, then it will blend nicely with your natural color. Bleach is very damaging though, so keep that in mind. I understand if you don't wanna go for this solution. I'm growing out bleach damage myself now, and regret my highlights a lot...

I kinda just want to get rid of the warmer tones if that makes sense? I don't want to use a developer or bleach or anything - I just want it to look more ashy :) That's why I tried purple and blue shampoo but both didn't really do anything. I think I might try Manic Panic and mix it with conditioner but if I would put in highlights, it would still pull those tones I think

cjk
March 9th, 2018, 06:14 PM
I'm not really trying to achieve the same color as my roots - sorry for the poor wording! I meant that I don't want to do anything to my roots in terms of dying it etc. I just want to get rid of all the warm tones that the color I used faded into. I want it to just be more ashy in general :) I never tried balayage and I'm not sure what I'd have to do but if I would have to blend in both colors, I don't think I would be skilled enough to do that

Balayage is just a fancy way of describing the technique. The dye or bleach is made very thick, like a paste, and painted on the sections of hair. What we are suggesting is that the transitional edge be kept intentionally rough so that there is not an abrupt transitional line between the blond and the ashen hair.

Yeah, if you're not familiar with it, don't. Just don't. It can be used to work miracles but, done wrong, can go bad.

A good balayage can take a bad dye job and make it look fabulous. A bad balayage can give you zebra stripes.

chrissy-b
March 10th, 2018, 02:37 PM
Purple manic panic mixed with conditioner will work. I mix 1 part manic panic with about 4 parts conditioner and leave it on for about half an hour. The toning lasts about two weeks (depending on how often you wash). I would start with even less manic panic though and see how well it works. You want the conditioner to be a pale purple color. You can always add more purple if it doesn't tone it down enough for your liking, but if you use too much it you'll have to wait for it to fade!