PDA

View Full Version : The NightBlooming thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

TatsuOni
March 7th, 2018, 06:53 AM
A thread for all of NightBloomings products. https://www.nightblooming.com/

For other threads see:
Panacea (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=50728)
Oil blends (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129295)
Henna (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132186) more Henna (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=142011)
Accessories (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1652)
Detangler (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132313)

TatsuOni
March 7th, 2018, 07:02 AM
I really do like NightBloomings products.

So far I've tried:

Selkie herbal detangler. The smell is nice, but not overwhelming and leaves my hair as it dries. It helps a bit, but I need more to get a tangle free hair. I've gotten the best effect by first spraying the detangler and then adding some oil or salve after, rather than using any of the products alone.

Triple Moon anointing oil. I like it and the smell is nice and reminds me of my childhood. The smell leaves my hair as it "dries in", but my hair doesn't hold on to smells in general.

Freya's hair salve. The smell reminds me of soap and disappears quickly in my hair. This is my favorite product so far! My hair loves it! As I mentioned earlier, I prefer to first spray in some detangler and then add some salve.

I've bought some more products, but would like to try them a little bit more before reviewing them.

ipickee
March 7th, 2018, 09:39 AM
I've tried the Freya's Salve as well, and it's a staple. Lasts forever too. I primarily use it in the summer. I've also acquired a beautiful silver clip with flowers on it. I've started wearing it recently. Love it!

NightSister
March 7th, 2018, 09:59 AM
I use the Triple Moon Oil, Panceas' Hair Salve, and Moondust Dry Shampoo. As my hair grows longer, I need cones to help with tangles so I add two drops of dimethicone to the oil during application. I seal that in with the salve.

The dry shampoo has been working very well. Often I don't get around to washing my hair and this helps its appearance until I get around to it. Its finely milled and I just flip my hair over and apply to my scalp with my fingertips.

I've found that all these products smell natural/herbal-y, but not floral, particularly the dry shampoo. I'm thankful for that, as fragrance gives me a massive headache.

ggallagher27
March 7th, 2018, 10:44 AM
I just got some stuff! So far I have tried Selkies Detangler, Freya's salve, and triple moon anointing oil. Used all once, love!!!!! I can't wait to use them more, and get more products. I used Triple moon the night before a wash, rubbed into scalp and little on the lengths. After the wash, I sprayed the detangler, then applied the freya's salve, then used a curl lotion on my 3B curls, and they are beautiful. Day 2, I refreshed with a little detangler, and used a little oil on the lengths, a little more curl lotion. Love it. My family says my hair looks so beautiful, and smells wonderful.

C_Bookworm
March 7th, 2018, 10:57 AM
I've got a sampler pack in the mail. So anxious to try them out!

ephemeri
March 7th, 2018, 11:03 AM
Triple moon anointing oil is by far my fave hair oil. The scent is divine and my hair looooves it.

I use Panacea on my husband's hair when it's looking dry and it works beautifully on his 2c curls. (To the point where I am quite jealous of his locks!)

Wendyp
March 7th, 2018, 11:09 AM
Oh I’m in! Love love her products! I have the monthly oil subscription, amazing! All of the salves work great, senarae cassia, omg the scalp scrub , I used it while I took a bath and let it sit on my hair and it was so conditioned and glossy. I also use the rinse and drink the Murvor tea. So I’m like a nightblooming groupie!! I have a bunch of new things in my cart right now lol

Ligeia Noire
March 7th, 2018, 08:28 PM
The first I got was the three sample panacea pack and I loved what it did to my hair so I got the 8 oz Panacea and I was very frustrated because I just could not spread it through my hair and it was so expensive that I did not want to use more than needed, so I started using it mixed with aloe or vegetable glycerin and then my conditioner and it spreads like a charm and it works very well. I love it and it will be my deep conditioning mask of choice from now on. When this jar finishes I intend on buying a new one. It is that good.

Wendyp
March 8th, 2018, 05:43 AM
The first I got was the three sample panacea pack and I loved what it did to my hair so I got the 8 oz Panacea and I was very frustrated because I just could not spread it through my hair and it was so expensive that I did not want to use more than needed, so I started using it mixed with aloe or vegetable glycerin and then my conditioner and it spreads like a charm and it works very well. I love it and it will be my deep conditioning mask of choice from now on. When this jar finishes I intend on buying a new one. It is that good.
I always put salves on after wash when my hair is wet, after oil. And it’s just to coat the oat side from ears down a small amount.

Ligeia Noire
March 8th, 2018, 06:16 AM
I use a small amount too and in the shower as a mask and it just does not have the texture for that. It is like shea butter texture. So, to apply it as a mask you need to melt it and mix it with something else.

AutobotsAttack
March 8th, 2018, 11:22 PM
My curiosity poked me, so I’ve been skimming a bit on Etsy, and I see they have herbal blends. Which has piqued my interest.

However I don’t know the first thing about herbal blends, and how to use them as a conditioner.

Do you heat them up and strain them much like tea? And the remaining water mixture is what you rinse with?

T0n1c
March 9th, 2018, 07:16 AM
Super excited as my first Nighblooming order is due to be delivered today!
I got the Damaged Hair Healer's Kit, as I had no idea what to try and that lets me try a bit of everything. Will be testing things in the upcoming days and will report back.
Excited to try it, especially after seeing everyones reviews here :-)

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 11th, 2018, 12:15 AM
I love the hair salve, i'm almost out of my 2oz jar.
I need to order more, it lasts me about 6 months which is great!

hayheadsbird
March 11th, 2018, 01:39 AM
I love my salve too! Would really like to try triple moon oil and a few other bits, right now it's the cost of shipping that's putting me off. From USA is so expensive, worst part is I know it's prob worth it for the product!

PixieP
March 11th, 2018, 05:52 AM
I have a fork, and have tried one of the hennas, and I want MOAR. I have a bunch of stuff favourited on Etsy.

Rowdy
March 12th, 2018, 05:37 PM
I got my Freya scented oil! It's pretty close to the salve, just a bit more floral-ish. Ive been mixing a drop with the salve and it makes the smell stick around longer :)

T0n1c
March 13th, 2018, 08:21 AM
Loving everything so far. The Selkie detangler is really fantastic! Smells nice and doesn't take much to make my hair silky and easy to detangle.
I like the salves, but can't decide on a favorite yet.

TatsuOni
March 22nd, 2018, 01:02 PM
I just did the survey and am so tempted to use the discount now :pumpkin:

And for reviews:

Ostara's hair salve. I like it and will use it up, but my hair prefer Freya's hair salve more. I really like the smell!

Moondust herbal dry shampoo. I like it and it smells great! I just wish that there will someday be one for black or dark hair :)

ggallagher27
March 22nd, 2018, 02:24 PM
I did the survey, and got the discount. I'm still learning to use them all. I got the 3 salves, detangler, deep conditioner, triple moon oil, and a tea rinse. Still learning, but I love them, I will figure out how to make them part of my routine.

Wendyp
March 22nd, 2018, 06:10 PM
Did the survey too! Looks like new products coming. Excited about a rice water kit!

C_Bookworm
March 22nd, 2018, 08:56 PM
I did the survey, and got the discount. I'm still learning to use them all. I got the 3 salves, detangler, deep conditioner, triple moon oil, and a tea rinse. Still learning, but I love them, I will figure out how to make them part of my routine.

I’m in about the same place. I did the survey and got the discount code, but I’m not quite sure yet what products are going to become regulars in my routine. I’ve tried out Selkie detangler and while it smelled lovely, it was too light for my hair. Ostara’s salve seems to be the perfect weight, and I can envision myself buying a full size of it. I haven’t had time to try the samples of the other two salves yet, but they seem promising.

hobbitlocks
March 22nd, 2018, 09:55 PM
I got the current oil of the month and also the one from December, the gingerbread one. I love trying the different oils! My hair really hasn’t met an oil it didn’t like, and I like to rub some oil on my nails and cuticals before bed, so I use them faster than it I were just using them in my hair. I thought about buying more panacea but I still have a least a month/probably more left so I decided not to.

TatsuOni
March 23rd, 2018, 03:06 AM
I still have a lot left of all the products that I bought last time, so I bought a few more oils :) Now I just have to wait for them :p

C_Bookworm
May 14th, 2018, 07:13 PM
I’m in about the same place. I did the survey and got the discount code, but I’m not quite sure yet what products are going to become regulars in my routine. I’ve tried out Selkie detangler and while it smelled lovely, it was too light for my hair. Ostara’s salve seems to be the perfect weight, and I can envision myself buying a full size of it. I haven’t had time to try the samples of the other two salves yet, but they seem promising.

After a month or so of experimenting, I’ve found my sweet spot is Ostara salve on my nape and the ends of my hair, and Selkie for the rest. Man do those two smell great together. I’m totally in love :crush:

Excited to try out the chelating crystals next!

Wendyp
May 14th, 2018, 07:56 PM
She’s got something new y’all did you see? :cheer:
It’s a chelating powder, can’t wait to try it.

Becs
May 14th, 2018, 08:42 PM
I really want to try the new chelating powder as well! I can’t tell though, are the essential oils just for smell, or do they serve another purpose as well? And I don’t know how often you are supposed to use it?

Nightshade
May 14th, 2018, 09:03 PM
I really want to try the new chelating powder as well! I can’t tell though, are the essential oils just for smell, or do they serve another purpose as well? And I don’t know how often you are supposed to use it?

The essential oils are mostly just for smell, but some can have some slight benefit to your hair, too.

For how often, that depends on the amount of buildup on your hair. I have very hard water and had a lot of buildup. I did a heavy buildup treatment once per week, and a maintenance rinse each time I washed for a month. Then, I was able to just using it as a finishing rinse after I wash :)

For heavy buildup: In the shower, place a large bowl on the floor and kneel over it. Pour the rinse through your hair, catching it in the bowl. Transfer the rinse to a cup, and repeat until your hair is saturated. Leave in up to 15 minutes. Rinse with water.
Maintenance: Use Alluvial as a final rinse after washing.

Cybercat
May 15th, 2018, 06:15 PM
Just saying thanks for this thread. Didn't know about her products. I am a big fan of Indi owners.

Milady_DeWinter
May 16th, 2018, 12:30 AM
I'll do a new purchase by autumn, and will probably go for the chelating powder too! By now I'm just obsessed with my Andunie hair oil, I wish I could BATH in the stuff. Most awesome smell that I've ever owned!!! :crush: Need a big bottle of that too...

FullofGrace
May 22nd, 2018, 07:02 PM
I just received my first nightblooming shipment. I ordered both "kits" and both books and an oil in london fog. I'm sad I missed out on the gingerbread oil, that sounds good. I just put some selkie detangler and ostara salve on not five minutes ago. Both smell great. And I would like to add that I love how she left the tape around the bottles with a little edge so it can be pulled off easily. That kind of attention to packaging is both amazing and much appreciated.

TatsuOni
June 1st, 2018, 08:02 AM
I still have a lot left of all the products that I bought last time, so I bought a few more oils :) Now I just have to wait for them :p

Our postal service managed to loose my package AFTER I payed their fee and taxes...

I still want to try the oils and order some other stuff, but our postal service are loosing a lot of packages lately and have come up with an extra fee... So I'll just wait a while longer before ordering again.

GrowlingCupcake
June 1st, 2018, 08:22 AM
I would really nice to try something of NB's as I have read a lot of great stuff about it. I am just not sure what.

I'm leaning towards the 3-pack, for now. Does anyone have any recommendations about what else might be a good idea for me?

My hair:
1c/2a, M, ii. Frizzes like help, dry end and an oily scalp, is colour treated. It likes to tangle, even when in a tight braid.

At this point, I don't want to add too much for my hair or make it too 'high maintenance' so to speak, as I don't have the spoons or the time for it. So my hair care is mostly oil, wash with sulfate shampoo, condition, condition, use a leave in oil based thing, and then spritz with water, and reapply the oil based thing/sweet almond oil when my ends get dry.

I'm definitely open to other stuff but I don't want it to become too much for me right now when I am still struggling to give my hair more than just benign neglect, you know? I plan on taking the month of June to go through what I do, and to try to weed out some, if not all, of my bad practices.

FullofGrace
June 3rd, 2018, 10:08 AM
I bought and used a sample of Enyo henna. The darkest one. I thought I would post the results in case it was of help to anyone. I used two different hair balls. One hair ball is my current color (which is just bleached to death with dark roots) and one hairball was before I was bleaching and using brown dyes. I have never used any kind of henna before so I was not prepared for the "fragrance" of it. LOL. Like grass? I will probably experiment with some essential oils in the future. I do happen to like the results of both hair balls. I like the henna over the dark better which is good because my natural hair is dark but the lighter color I got over the bleached is also a lovely gingery color which will be my ends which I will trim a bit at the end of 2018 and them grow for two year, no trims. I tried posting photos. Doesn't seem to have worked but they are in my album if interested. https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=13529&attachmentid=31977 https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=13529&attachmentid=31973 https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=13529&attachmentid=31974 https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=13529&attachmentid=31975 https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=13529&attachmentid=31976 https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=13529&attachmentid=31977

Alissalocks
June 3rd, 2018, 11:27 AM
Our postal service managed to loose my package AFTER I payed their fee and taxes...

I still want to try the oils and order some other stuff, but our postal service are loosing a lot of packages lately and have come up with an extra fee... So I'll just wait a while longer before ordering again.
Duuuuuude, that suuuucks... :( :blossom:

Alissalocks
June 3rd, 2018, 11:32 AM
I would really nice to try something of NB's as I have read a lot of great stuff about it. I am just not sure what.

I'm leaning towards the 3-pack, for now. Does anyone have any recommendations about what else might be a good idea for me?

My hair:
1c/2a, M, ii. Frizzes like help, dry end and an oily scalp, is colour treated. It likes to tangle, even when in a tight braid.

At this point, I don't want to add too much for my hair or make it too 'high maintenance' so to speak, as I don't have the spoons or the time for it. So my hair care is mostly oil, wash with sulfate shampoo, condition, condition, use a leave in oil based thing, and then spritz with water, and reapply the oil based thing/sweet almond oil when my ends get dry.

I'm definitely open to other stuff but I don't want it to become too much for me right now when I am still struggling to give my hair more than just benign neglect, you know? I plan on taking the month of June to go through what I do, and to try to weed out some, if not all, of my bad practices.

I've been a regular sweet almond oil user for years and just recent tried a couple of NB oils. What I notice is they are significantly lighter on my hair which I really enjoy. They disappear and don't weigh my thin hair down. I'm enjoying them so much I reapply a couple times a day!

The Raven Queen blend is my favorite so far, but I'd like to try the Triple Moon and Dragonsblood eventually. I also subscribed to her oil of the month for the summer, so I look forward to trying more of her products. Tell us what works for you! :)

TatsuOni
June 5th, 2018, 08:13 AM
My oils finally arrived! :joy:

I just had to wait a few months... I can't wait to try them! They all smell good, but the Raven queen smells wonderful! :love:

Milady_DeWinter
June 5th, 2018, 09:56 AM
I've got all 3 salves, being my fav Panacea, and despite it works well I don't like Ostara's smell - so I'll leave that one for others. Those are just fantastic for my hair!

I also own the oils Gingersnap, Mollymauk, Raven's Queen and Andúnië, being Andúnië not just my fav of them all by far, but one of my fav smells in the world. It's just fantastic, smells like freedom and the sea. Next time I'll be ordering a big bottle of that one :p

All the NB stuff if just great. I've got to pay the international shipping, so I'm not ordering as much as I'd want, but I'll continue being a loyal costumer as much as I could!

Alissalocks
June 6th, 2018, 12:11 AM
My oils finally arrived! :joy:

I just had to wait a few months... I can't wait to try them! They all smell good, but the Raven queen smells wonderful! :love:
It's my faaaaaaaavorite so far! :cheer:

TatsuOni
June 6th, 2018, 05:37 AM
It's my faaaaaaaavorite so far! :cheer:

My hair really liked it too when I tried it yesterday :o When I'm running out of that and Freyas hair salve I'll order the large versions of them :)

BlueKittyMeow
June 6th, 2018, 12:32 PM
I love all of her stuff!

Selkie is AMAZING! I wish coconut oil worked on my hair but it makes my ends all messed up, so most of her salves and oils are a no-go for me. She did a custom without it that I loved though, and the oils are amazing as fragrances on their own as well.

I’ve tried her cassia and one of her henna colors - getting close to time to re-henna so I get to decide which color I want to go with for my roots! I’m a strawberry blonde and would like that amped up but I love that new copper penny color... fun decision time :P

The herbal conditioner packets are something I always like to have on hand and the dry shampoo smells HEAVENLY oh my gosh.

Yeah I’m nuts about all nightblooming products :)

Arciela
June 6th, 2018, 03:16 PM
I've got all 3 salves, being my fav Panacea, and despite it works well I don't like Ostara's smell - so I'll leave that one for others. Those are just fantastic for my hair!

I also own the oils Gingersnap, Mollymauk, Raven's Queen and Andúnië, being Andúnië not just my fav of them all by far, but one of my fav smells in the world. It's just fantastic, smells like freedom and the sea. Next time I'll be ordering a big bottle of that one :p

All the NB stuff if just great. I've got to pay the international shipping, so I'm not ordering as much as I'd want, but I'll continue being a loyal costumer as much as I could!

I tried looking for Andunie oil and I can't seem to find it :( It sounds so nice! I ordered the Panacea leave in though. Can't wait to try it :flower:

GrowlingCupcake
June 6th, 2018, 06:00 PM
I tried looking for Andunie oil and I can't seem to find it :( It sounds so nice! I ordered the Panacea leave in though. Can't wait to try it :flower:

It's under "Oil Blend of the Month" then either the 1/2 oz Previous Oil Blend of the Month (https://www.etsy.com/listing/250753117/12-oz-previous-oil-blend-of-the-month?ref=shop_home_active_3) or 4oz Previous Oil Blend of the Month (https://www.etsy.com/listing/250752751/4oz-previous-oil-blend-of-the-month?ref=shop_home_active_7). You pick it from the drop down menu. The description has all the information on previous blends.

Arciela
June 6th, 2018, 07:15 PM
It's under "Oil Blend of the Month" then either the 1/2 oz Previous Oil Blend of the Month (https://www.etsy.com/listing/250753117/12-oz-previous-oil-blend-of-the-month?ref=shop_home_active_3) or 4oz Previous Oil Blend of the Month (https://www.etsy.com/listing/250752751/4oz-previous-oil-blend-of-the-month?ref=shop_home_active_7). You pick it from the drop down menu. The description has all the information on previous blends.

Oh! Thank you, now I found it :) can't wait for it to arrive :cheer:

Milady_DeWinter
June 7th, 2018, 12:42 AM
Yay Cesil, I'll be looking forward for your opinion abouth both :) Yep, Andunie is a bit hidden... I'm just crazy for that smell, as I prefer clean to incensey ones, and Andunie remembers so much of what I feel being in my father's town, in the north coast of Spain :crush:

Wendyp
June 7th, 2018, 10:36 AM
Oh ima have to try andunaie now :inlove:

GrowlingCupcake
June 8th, 2018, 11:53 AM
My Selkie Detangler, and the 2 oz Trinity Pack arrived! I also placed another order for:
Signature Oil Subscription: 12 months starting from June
Lotus Pond Signature Oil Blend May 2018
1/2 oz Previous Oil Blend of the Month - Mollymauk (April 2018 )
Blossom Wood Signature Oil Blend March 2018
Winter's Crest Signature Oil Blend January 2018

I wanted to grab the London Fog in 1/2 oz size but there was only one available in stock. It seems like it's February 2018's, and I am trying to get all of the 2018 ones to try. I'll pick it up the next time.

I have to admit... I don't see how Panacea's Salve smells divine :confused: Is there something wrong with my olfactory senses?? Or does it smell better when applied? So far my favourite smelling one is Ostara, and I do like the smell of the detangler.

Also, can someone please explain how to use the salve? Starting at the very ends of my hair just leaves me with a horrible tangled mess. I haven't yet tried it with the salve since I am not using leave-ins right now (I want a new texture picture + a trim) so does it get easier if you apply it with that? Can I work downwards instead?

ETA:
Used the Selkie Detangler. My hair did detangle but I don't know if it was any easier? Did I use too little? I prefer to err on the side of less till I know more.
Used Panacea's Salve. It was gritty. I noticed the texture was the same as in the photos, and the instructions said to cool it if it had separated. There was no separation. Am I right in assuming the grittiness was the unmelted coconut oil as it went away as I rubbed my palms together. Still not sure if I used enough or too much but I'll figure it out!

Wendyp
June 9th, 2018, 07:33 PM
Just did the alluvial treatment and it’s awesome. Let my hair soft moisturize and brought out a bunch of waves. :hollie:

Arciela
June 9th, 2018, 08:04 PM
Yay Cesil, I'll be looking forward for your opinion abouth both :) Yep, Andunie is a bit hidden... I'm just crazy for that smell, as I prefer clean to incensey ones, and Andunie remembers so much of what I feel being in my father's town, in the north coast of Spain :crush:

It sounds lovely! I ordered it a few days ago, can't wait :flower:

BlueKittyMeow
June 19th, 2018, 12:06 AM
Just did the alluvial treatment and it’s awesome. Let my hair soft moisturize and brought out a bunch of waves. :hollie:

I just did this as well! I’m deep conditioning rn because my hair is basically a desert, it was dry beforehand and I didn’t want to risk it. It didn’t feel particularly dry or stripped afterwards which is awesome and the rinse water after it was poured through a few times was kind of a cloudy lightly cool tone, so something was definitely lifted from my hair - I’m pleased! :)

Edit -
A day later, my hair feels great! Not drying at all :) I think I’ll be adding this into my rotation.

lilelf
July 6th, 2018, 07:05 AM
My panacea should be here today. I have wanted to try for YEARS and am sooooo excited. Perfect timing, too, as tomorrow we are supposed to go to the shore. Will try to report back.
Also, thank you to the OP for starting this thread :)

Arciela
July 6th, 2018, 08:59 AM
I got my panacea and its amazing, totally moistures my hair..and I only use a TINY bit!

lilelf
July 6th, 2018, 11:44 AM
It's here!!! I got so excited that I rubbed some in immediately. Now to bathe and dampen and REALLY test this baby out. :D

TatsuOni
July 7th, 2018, 03:16 AM
My panacea should be here today. I have wanted to try for YEARS and am sooooo excited. Perfect timing, too, as tomorrow we are supposed to go to the shore. Will try to report back.
Also, thank you to the OP for starting this thread :)

You're welcome! :)

An update. I'm so in love with my raven queen oil that I've barely tested the other oils I ordered :p I have to use less of this oil and use it less often than any other oils I've tried! And the most amazing thing is that the smell stays in my hair! My hair doesn't hold on to smells at all otherwise, so it's a pleasant surprise :)

GrowlingCupcake
July 7th, 2018, 05:00 AM
So I asked NB, and the grittiness in my Panacea's Salve is probably from grainy shea butter due to temperature fluctuations in transit. She told me how to fix that, and I haven't done it yet, but plan to soon. Since my Freya's Salve has no grittiness, I have been using that instead. I love the Selkie Detangler, and that's definitely going to become a regular part of my routine; I use it right after washing. I'm not sure about the salve still. I think I may not be applying enough? I used it after the detangler, and my ends were fairly dry the day after washing. But, I did LOC with the Selkie Detangler + Lotus Pond oil + Freya's Salve that night, and my hair has been gloriously soft, smooth, and silky. So maybe I just need to use it in conjunction.

I do like the oil; my hair doesn't feel greasy or weighed down or anything. Usually even a bit of sweet almond oil does that, and unfortunately oil seems to be necessary to keep it behaving. I'm not sure about the smell, but I have the subscription so I'll have plenty of different ones to decide from.

Arciela
July 7th, 2018, 10:39 AM
So I asked NB, and the grittiness in my Panacea's Salve is probably from grainy shea butter due to temperature fluctuations in transit. She told me how to fix that, and I haven't done it yet, but plan to soon. Since my Freya's Salve has no grittiness, I have been using that instead. I love the Selkie Detangler, and that's definitely going to become a regular part of my routine; I use it right after washing. I'm not sure about the salve still. I think I may not be applying enough? I used it after the detangler, and my ends were fairly dry the day after washing. But, I did LOC with the Selkie Detangler + Lotus Pond oil + Freya's Salve that night, and my hair has been gloriously soft, smooth, and silky. So maybe I just need to use it in conjunction.

I do like the oil; my hair doesn't feel greasy or weighed down or anything. Usually even a bit of sweet almond oil does that, and unfortunately oil seems to be necessary to keep it behaving. I'm not sure about the smell, but I have the subscription so I'll have plenty of different ones to decide from.

Does the Selkie Detangler help get out tangles and keep the hair from tangling? I was thinking of getting it, as I am dealing with some *serious* tangles lately :(

christib13
July 8th, 2018, 04:28 PM
I'm trying to decide on a Nightblooming oil blend and I'm leaning towards Medusa's Snake Oil, Sun Soother, ôstar, Witch's Garden, or Andúnië - does anyone have a more detailed description of any of their scents, or just general suggestions of what to try?

My favorite scents usually include citrus, ylang ylang, bergamot, patchouli, lavender, or geranium. I really like the ingredients in Andúnië, but I'm always a little wary of "clean" citrus scents because sometimes they end up smelling like lemon Pledge or other cleaning products! I'm also curious about Witch's Garden (I love herbal candles with basil and rosemary combined with citrus), but I'm wondering if it might be too overtly floral.

For reference, I've tried all 3 hair salves - I love Ostara, would probably buy Freya again too, but was not a fan of Panacea.

Nightshade
July 8th, 2018, 04:46 PM
Witch's Garden is one of my favorites :) It's much more herbal and green than floral. Medusa's Snake Oil is similar in that regard, herbal and green with a few higher clear notes of cypress.

Given that you like lavender and citrus, you might also like FireFly Glow. I tend to find overly-floral a huge turn off, so even my floral-focused ones tend to not be overwhelmingly so.

My my personal favorites (not that that's either here nor there) are Eryn Ethuil, Fonce Fleur, Jasmine Green Tea, Fangorn Forest and Samhain Spell.

Katia_k
July 8th, 2018, 09:26 PM
Ah, crap, I meant to pick up one of the herbal conditioners during the sale. I did splurge and buy 3 oils... a bunch of floral ones that weren't coconut oil came up, which made me super happy, so I snagged Firefly, Blossom, and Fairy Rose. I'm excited to try them. Also hoping to order a custom sometime. I got a great oil from a swap, and want to try recreating it to the best of my abilities. And I know this magical hair sorceress could do it justice. :)

lilelf
July 9th, 2018, 05:46 PM
Oh no!! Did I miss the sale?? :O

Nightshade
July 9th, 2018, 07:17 PM
Oh no!! Did I miss the sale?? :O

It goes for another 3 hours 45 minutes from this post :)

wannabe-rusalka
July 9th, 2018, 07:23 PM
Just bought my first Nightblooming products! I got a bunch of samples- the Selkie Detangler, Hair Salve Trinity Pack, Raven Queen’s Chosen Oil, and Alluvial Chelating Crystal Rinse. :p It all was about $35 including shipping, which wasn’t too bad IMO.

I am very, very excited!

christib13
July 11th, 2018, 09:54 PM
Witch's Garden is one of my favorites :) It's much more herbal and green than floral. Medusa's Snake Oil is similar in that regard, herbal and green with a few higher clear notes of cypress.

Given that you like lavender and citrus, you might also like FireFly Glow. I tend to find overly-floral a huge turn off, so even my floral-focused ones tend to not be overwhelmingly so.

My my personal favorites (not that that's either here nor there) are Eryn Ethuil, Fonce Fleur, Jasmine Green Tea, Fangorn Forest and Samhain Spell.

Thank you for the suggestions! I ended up going with Medusa's Snake Oil and Sun Soother and I'm sooo excited to receive them. (And I've made a note to try Witch's Garden and Firefly Glow next time!)

lilelf
July 13th, 2018, 10:08 AM
Thank you, Nightshade. :)

GrowlingCupcake
July 13th, 2018, 10:39 AM
Does the Selkie Detangler help get out tangles and keep the hair from tangling? I was thinking of getting it, as I am dealing with some *serious* tangles lately :(

Sorry, I missed this. Definitely try the detangler.

My hair is not as bad as yours but tangles very easily. The week I didn't use the detangler, it tried to eat a comb xD I use it fairly sparingly, and it helps a great deal. No more comb eating! I'd suggest a fair amount for your hair, concentrated where the tangles are.

Also, damn! I missed the sale.

Stray_mind
July 14th, 2018, 12:48 AM
I am planning on getting some samples, like scalp soothing kit and some oil blends. I hope they work for my hair :)

Diana_Prince
July 22nd, 2018, 10:16 AM
I’m almost out of Triple Moon oil (which I like!) and thinking about trying something else. I’ve been eyeing Winters Crest, Fairy Rose & Lotus Pond. Her 1/2oz sample size lasts me quite awhile! Triple moon is the only oil I’ve tried up until now. Maybe I’ll just have to order all three and see which I like best lol

RosieFleurNuit
July 22nd, 2018, 04:03 PM
I really like NightBlooming's products so far. I've tried the sample sized hair salves and two of her oil blends. I still have the oil blend made especially for the scalp, for growing, but the others I've used up. I'll have to place another order soon. It'll be hard to decide what to get!

Diana_Prince
August 3rd, 2018, 06:36 AM
Her new August oil has me intrigued!

GrowlingCupcake
August 3rd, 2018, 12:09 PM
I’m almost out of Triple Moon oil (which I like!) and thinking about trying something else. I’ve been eyeing Winters Crest, Fairy Rose & Lotus Pond. Her 1/2oz sample size lasts me quite awhile! Triple moon is the only oil I’ve tried up until now. Maybe I’ll just have to order all three and see which I like best lol

I've never tried the Triple Moon blend but I love the Fairy Rose blend. I have the three blends you are thinking of trying, and I'd vote Fairy Rose. It also uses the same base oil (sunflower) as Triple Moon while Lotus Pond, and Winter's Crest use fractionated coconut oil; they definitely feel a lot heavier to me than the sunflower based blends.

TatsuOni
September 26th, 2018, 11:14 AM
There's a sale Sept 26-30.

Reservechic
September 26th, 2018, 04:08 PM
When I received the news that NightBlooming was a having a 10% off sale on her favorite products, I was beyond excited! As, I have my 2nd order coming from her on Saturday, and now i definitely will be taking advantage of this awesome sale before it ends!

I truly love supporting truly positive people who live to make a great impact in the lives of others!

Willowyn
September 26th, 2018, 07:38 PM
I missed the sale with my latest shipment, but I'm totally OK with supporting her shop.
I used Alluvial for the first time today to tone down the greenish yellow that happened after my recent Sarenrae/cassia treatment (it was my fault - they are great products - I have chemically treated hair and white roots in the front with gray in the back), and I'm so pleased with the result. My hair is soft and the color is toned down, but still there. Much better.
I also picked up some more Selkie. Can't say enough about how great that is for adding slip to the cassia mixture and for detangling afterwards.

VersLaLumière
September 26th, 2018, 09:42 PM
I bought some of Night Blooming's hair salves quite a while ago, but only just now got around to trying them. My ends and half my length needed some help, I wet them and put on the salve as a leave-in and I love the results!! Softened and detangled my hair and got rid of dryness, which is the basic thing I look for in a leave-in. But compared to my other favorite leave-ins, this salve also gave more shine boost, and brought out the natural texture of my hair.

Reservechic
September 27th, 2018, 10:51 AM
I bought some of Night Blooming's hair salves quite a while ago, but only just now got around to trying them. My ends and half my length needed some help, I wet them and put on the salve as a leave-in and I love the results!! Softened and detangled my hair and got rid of dryness, which is the basic thing I look for in a leave-in. But compared to my other favorite leave-ins, this salve also gave more shine boost, and brought out the natural texture of my hair.

That's super awesome to hear VersLaLumiere! Do you currently happen to own any other products by Nightblooming, and if so how do you like them? Well, I just started using her Panacea Salve, but now I can't wait to try out her Freya one! But, eventually I definitely do plan to try them all. As, it would simply be too hard for me to resist!

hoggle
September 27th, 2018, 09:02 PM
yay, just bought a ton of copper henna <3

TreesOfEternity
September 28th, 2018, 05:55 AM
Raven Queen's can't be sent to my country anymore! :wail:

TatsuOni
September 28th, 2018, 11:54 AM

Why!?shudder:

Nightshade
September 28th, 2018, 03:00 PM

Why!?shudder:

Yes it can! :) If you look at the second picture in the listing and in the listing text, international customers and those wanting to combine multiple items should use the Previous Oil Blend of the Month or Essential Oil Mister listing.

Etsy is really pushing 'free' shipping, so I'm just testing it out on the Critical Role listings, but all of them can also be purchased through other listings where international shipping is an option.

Reservechic
September 28th, 2018, 06:03 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Nightshade! As, I send lots of birthday wishes your way, sunshine! :cake::flowers:

TreesOfEternity
September 28th, 2018, 08:49 PM
Yes it can! :) If you look at the second picture in the listing and in the listing text, international customers and those wanting to combine multiple items should use the Previous Oil Blend of the Month or Essential Oil Mister listing.

Etsy is really pushing 'free' shipping, so I'm just testing it out on the Critical Role listings, but all of them can also be purchased through other listings where international shipping is an option.

That’s a relief! Thanks a lot for reaching out, I don’t know why I didn’t see that detail, as the message didn’t appear in other products I figured out it was some kind of technicism! :) sorry about the confussion

Nightshade
September 28th, 2018, 09:41 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Nightshade! As, I send lots of birthday wishes your way, sunshine! :cake::flowers:

Aww, thank you so much :inlove:

That’s a relief! Thanks a lot for reaching out, I don’t know why I didn’t see that detail, as the message didn’t appear in other products I figured out it was some kind of technicism! :) sorry about the confussion

No worries, this is part of the experiment, how confusing it is for other people :)

TatsuOni
September 29th, 2018, 01:10 AM

Thanks for explaining and happy (belayed) birthday! :cake:

squirrrel
September 29th, 2018, 01:42 AM
After wanting to try this range for several years, I finally managed to make it work out. Lots of little samples coming for me to try. Yay. I’m intrigued to see what things might find a regular place in my routine.

Hope you had a great birthday Nightshade, and that the weekend also proves enjoyable, whatever it might hold.

Nightshade
October 5th, 2018, 12:12 AM
After wanting to try this range for several years, I finally managed to make it work out. Lots of little samples coming for me to try. Yay. I’m intrigued to see what things might find a regular place in my routine.

Hope you had a great birthday Nightshade, and that the weekend also proves enjoyable, whatever it might hold.

Aw, thank you so much :) I did have a lovely birthday :inlove:

Milady_DeWinter
November 23rd, 2018, 03:49 AM
I just placed another order this morning :) I had to wait to a sale so the shipping costs won't hurt so badly. There's a 10% off in everything for the Black Friday!

I picked the Very Big Panacea salve (8oz), a big bottle of Andunie oil (4oz), the ôstar essential oil to try, and one Alluvial crystal rinse sample (was going to pick the big size or more samples, but... money, this month is tight!). I asked Nighshade if she could do the Andunie stronger (I'm really in love with that scent) and she inmediately answered me saying that she'll do :crush: Yay!

blackgothicdoll
November 23rd, 2018, 04:00 PM
I ordered Selkie and 4oz Grave Flowers for the sale. That's the only thing I bought for Black Friday and I'm very happy about that. :)

ArabellaRose
November 23rd, 2018, 05:24 PM
I had a look at her Etsy shop and there's so many things I wanna get. Gonna save up and treat myself in the new year I reckon!

maborosi
November 25th, 2018, 11:45 PM
Black Friday = Me restocking on everything from NB. I'm super stoked to get my package. :)

FennFire911
March 25th, 2019, 07:04 PM
A few weeks ago I finally made my first NB order. I got a sample size of Panacea and sample size of Freya salves. They both smell wonderful. Panacea is more subtle and Freya's is bolder. Panacea seems too heavy for my hair, it never really dries in and just stays damp. Freya's feels lighter and it dries in. I still want to try Ostara before making a final decision on which salve I like best.
I ordered a sample size of Selkie detangler and I think it should be here tomorrow. I can't wait! I'm really excited to find products that work for me + they are natural + they are from a personal business instead of a corporate conglomerate. win-win-win!

milosmomma
March 25th, 2019, 09:54 PM
A few weeks ago I finally made my first NB order. I got a sample size of Panacea and sample size of Freya salves. They both smell wonderful. Panacea is more subtle and Freya's is bolder. Panacea seems too heavy for my hair, it never really dries in and just stays damp. Freya's feels lighter and it dries in. I still want to try Ostara before making a final decision on which salve I like best.
I ordered a sample size of Selkie detangler and I think it should be here tomorrow. I can't wait! I'm really excited to find products that work for me + they are natural + they are from a personal business instead of a corporate conglomerate. win-win-win!

Yes the panacea is super dense, I cah get away with the tiniest amount. So little that your hands try to soak it up before your hair :lol:
Does anyone know the shelf life of panacea in the fridge if you always kept it in there? I need to check when I purchased but over 6 months for sure. I got the large size and I have been using so little(fingernail scrapes) that I still have about half. Maybe I should use it up in a super deep treatment before it goes off? Still smells great and is the same as the day I received it.

Nightshade
March 26th, 2019, 07:15 AM
Yes the panacea is super dense, I cah get away with the tiniest amount. So little that your hands try to soak it up before your hair :lol:
Does anyone know the shelf life of panacea in the fridge if you always kept it in there? I need to check when I purchased but over 6 months for sure. I got the large size and I have been using so little(fingernail scrapes) that I still have about half. Maybe I should use it up in a super deep treatment before it goes off? Still smells great and is the same as the day I received it.

Honestly it really depends on how you store it (if your bathroom is hot and muggy and you keep it under the sink, for example), but that's exactly what I do and it easily lasts over a year like that (probably longer than a year, honestly). It will, of course, last longer in the fridge. Unless you see spots of stuff growing in it, or the smell goes rancid, it's fine! :)

milosmomma
March 26th, 2019, 07:24 AM
Honestly it really depends on how you store it (if your bathroom is hot and muggy and you keep it under the sink, for example), but that's exactly what I do and it easily lasts over a year like that (probably longer than a year, honestly). It will, of course, last longer in the fridge. Unless you see spots of stuff growing in it, or the smell goes rancid, it's fine! :)

Thank you, it has lived it's entire life in the drawer of my fridge. I never take it out long or warm it up so I will just keep on keeping on :) Thanks for the quick reply

FennFire911
March 26th, 2019, 07:45 AM

I’m using the Panacea today as my pre-poo treatment. Freya’s will be my leave in. Panacea works great for my hands too. I have to wash my hands super frequently at work and Panacea does a great job keeping my skin from getting uncomfortable and dried out.

milosmomma
March 26th, 2019, 12:13 PM
I’m using the Panacea today as my pre-poo treatment. Freya’s will be my leave in. Panacea works great for my hands too. I have to wash my hands super frequently at work and Panacea does a great job keeping my skin from getting uncomfortable and dried out.
I agree, I get very crispy dry hands in the winter and haven't had a problem this last season :) elbows too!

MsPharaohMoan
April 7th, 2019, 06:23 PM
Love Ostara on my cuticles in the winter. I'm rationing my portion until my birthday. :knit: Selkie looks lovely and I'm mad about fonce fleur!

SwanFeathers
April 7th, 2019, 08:10 PM
Just sent some Ostara to my long-haired sister as a surprise. she has a Dungeons&Dragons character of the same name, I hope she likes it.

FennFire911
April 7th, 2019, 08:27 PM
I've made a few more sample purchases for the sake of experimenting. Ostara's is also too heavy for my hair and stays damp. It and Panacea are great for pre-poo but Freya's is the only one I can leave in.
In the next few days I should end up getting Triple Moon Anointing oil, Moondust dry shampoo, and Thriae scrub. All of it looks so good I want to try a little of everything lol
I've already run out of my sample of Selkie spray. It smells so amazing I was using it as body spray too. haha I'm going to wait until I figure out for sure which things are going to become long term items for me and then make an order of full sizes instead of multiple small ones like I've been doing.
It's official. I'm a NB addict.

Willowyn
April 7th, 2019, 09:46 PM
I used Ostera to help the skin near (not directly on) my hip incisions heal after replacement surgery. I had a bad reaction to the adhesives used on the dressings, and the Ostera was so soothing. Wonderful stuff.

Nightshade
April 8th, 2019, 01:07 AM
I've made a few more sample purchases for the sake of experimenting. Ostara's is also too heavy for my hair and stays damp. It and Panacea are great for pre-poo but Freya's is the only one I can leave in.
In the next few days I should end up getting Triple Moon Anointing oil, Moondust dry shampoo, and Thriae scrub. All of it looks so good I want to try a little of everything lol
I've already run out of my sample of Selkie spray. It smells so amazing I was using it as body spray too. haha I'm going to wait until I figure out for sure which things are going to become long term items for me and then make an order of full sizes instead of multiple small ones like I've been doing.
It's official. I'm a NB addict.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that uses Selkie as a body spray. It's SO hydrating and smells so good ^_^

Knittink
April 17th, 2019, 08:25 AM
I just received my first purchase last weekend. I got some of the samples and started the oil subscription. Everything I have tried so far I have really enjoyed but now I have a bit if an issue. The oil is making my hair so gloriously soft and smooth that it keeps escaping every hairstyle.

♘ Miss Carousel
April 18th, 2019, 10:41 AM
I didn't know about this brand until seeing this thread. Thank you~ I'll have to buy one of the hair salves after I get my next paycheck.

I'm really confused about the scalp scrub though. Wouldn't scrubbing sugar against your roots damage them?

TatsuOni
May 6th, 2019, 09:30 AM
This arrived today!

https://cdn2.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/1_5cd051b72a6b2214f2bcd914.jpg
Apparently I chose 1/32 oz instead of 0,5 of the Aurelia oil :laugh: When will I ever learn to double check :p But it smells so wonderful that I will order a bigger bottle the next time! :love:

The raven queen oil is a favorite that I needed to refill :)

I'm really looking forward to trying the Alluvial Chelating Crystal Rinse! We have really hard water and I want to see how this is compared to my own citric acid blend :)

Knittink
May 6th, 2019, 09:52 AM
I subscribed to the monthly oil just to try new things I have never smelled before. This months oil, Tiahmani, is right up my alley. I love the smell and so does DH. After my wash yesterday he was like, “You should use the new oil”. I was previously loving Jester but I may have a new favorite/reorder oil.

Jamie Lynn 40
May 6th, 2019, 01:58 PM
TatsuOni
I love the Raven Queen oil as well! I also love the Winters Crest too! I use the oil after i use the Selkie detangler and before the Freya Hair Salve☺

FennFire911
May 6th, 2019, 09:34 PM
TatsuOni
I love the Raven Queen oil as well! I also love the Winters Crest too! I use the oil after i use the Selkie detangler and before the Freya Hair Salve☺

Selkie and Freya are my fave feels and smells, and DH loves the scent of Selkie too.

TatsuOni
May 7th, 2019, 04:23 AM
TatsuOni

NightBlooming is my favorite hair brand :)

I made my SO sniff the bag my latest products came in (it smelled of the Aurelia oil). He thought that it smelled so good that he was disappointed that I didn't buy any oil for his beard :laugh: So I'll place another order this week. I did promise him another oil for his beard, since he didn't like the one he got as a birthday gift, so one from NightBlooming will be perfect :p And I'll buy the Aurelia + the Tiahmani for me :couch:

Knittink
May 7th, 2019, 06:34 AM
When I got my first order I got a sample of the scalp scrub for my DH who has really bad dandruff which he had not been able to control with conventional products. It has been so successful in helping his dandruff that he asked me to buy a full size for him.

Jamie Lynn 40
May 7th, 2019, 07:00 AM
Yes i love these products! I have been using Freya hair salve off and on ( mostly on) for years. I like to stock up if i get extra Christmas or birthday money. I haven't found any other products that work as well on my hair. ☺ And i have finally found a routine using these 3 products after a hair wash on damp hair that really works for me!

2gaits
May 8th, 2019, 10:18 PM
Anyone use cassia from nb? I keep reading about the smoothing benefits of it and am interested in trying it but have never used herbal stuff. Is it okay to use over highlighted and colored hair?

Nightshade
May 8th, 2019, 10:29 PM
Anyone use cassia from nb? I keep reading about the smoothing benefits of it and am interested in trying it but have never used herbal stuff. Is it okay to use over highlighted and colored hair?

Cassia is safe to use over highlighted and colored hair, but if you don't want yellow color it imparts, you might want to try Sedr instead. You can read about the different conditioning benefits here (https://nightbloominggarden.com/2018/02/sedr-senna-henna-herbal-conditioning-properties/):)

maborosi
May 8th, 2019, 10:32 PM

I do occasionally, and I love it! I mix with the Sunlit meadow rinse, and some Selkie for extra slip. I feel like the sunlit meadow gives even more golden tones to my hair.
So much better than just using straight cassia.

TatsuOni
May 9th, 2019, 07:28 AM

I made my SO sniff the bag my latest products came in (it smelled of the Aurelia oil). He thought that it smelled so good that he was disappointed that I didn't buy any oil for his beard :laugh: So I'll place another order this week. I did promise him another oil for his beard, since he didn't like the one he got as a birthday gift, so one from NightBlooming will be perfect :p And I'll buy the Aurelia + the Tiahmani for me :couch:

I did order the Aurelia and Tiahmani oils and SO decided on the Stryking Dragon.

spidergoat
May 9th, 2019, 10:50 AM
I've been lurking in this thread for a bit and I'm wondering what the best product might be for someone who doesn't use many leave-ins (if any) and also uses cones on a regular basis. I was thinking a salve or oil, but I'm not sure what benefits they would have beyond smelling nice.

Knittink
May 9th, 2019, 11:05 AM
I use the salve on my tips which were always dry and it make them so much softer. I apply it when my hair is still pretty wet. Once my hair is 80%+ dry I put a smooth a couple of drops over my canopy to smooth frizz and define my waves a but more. I also touch up my canopy in the evening after I take my hair down. I don’t know why but my canopy has always been so frizzy and dry. The oils seem to really help it match the rest of my hair in texture.

2gaits
May 10th, 2019, 08:54 PM
Cassia is safe to use over highlighted and colored hair, but if you don't want yellow color it imparts, you might want to try Sedr instead. You can read about the different conditioning benefits here (https://nightbloominggarden.com/2018/02/sedr-senna-henna-herbal-conditioning-properties/):)

Thanks! I might try it.

milosmomma
May 10th, 2019, 10:40 PM
Spidergoat, I would suggest applying whatever product you choose under the cone, and use the cone to seal it in. I have the panacea which is pretty heavy and I'd like to get something lighter, just gonna use it up first. It does smell lovely as I hear most of her products do :)

TatsuOni
May 20th, 2019, 06:21 AM

For some reason I can't track my package this time, so I have no idea where it is... But I'm hoping to get it soon :)

TatsuOni
May 20th, 2019, 07:17 AM
For some reason I can't track my package this time, so I have no idea where it is... But I'm hoping to get it soon :)

Right after I wrote this I got a paper telling me that my package is in Sweden and the payment info that I need (taxes and a fee). So now it's payed and hopefully, I will get my package this week :)

Nightshade
May 20th, 2019, 08:42 AM
Right after I wrote this I got a paper telling me that my package is in Sweden and the payment info that I need (taxes and a fee). So now it's payed and hopefully, I will get my package this week :)

:lol: you'd be surprised how often this happens. It's uncanny!

TatsuOni
May 30th, 2019, 12:52 AM
I did order the Aurelia and Tiahmani oils and SO decided on the Stryking Dragon.

We got our package yesterday! :joy:

So is happy about his oil and more curious on the brand :)

I tried the Aurelia oil in my hair before bed, so I'll see the result when I detangle my hair later... But no matter how my hair will like it, I'm in love with the smell! :love:

I still haven't had the time to try the Tiahmani. I wasn't too found of the smell, but I think that my hair will like it.

And I still haven't been able to try the Alluvial from my last order.

Decoy24601
June 12th, 2019, 11:07 AM
I haven't ordered nightblooming oils in quite some time, but I went on the etsy page today and discovered that they no longer ship to Canada :(. I really wished I had tried more products (salves, scalp scrubs etc) when I had the chance.

Edit: It looks like only some products don't ship to Canada? I'm a bit confused now.

Nightshade
June 12th, 2019, 11:50 AM
I haven't ordered nightblooming oils in quite some time, but I went on the etsy page today and discovered that they no longer ship to Canada :(. I really wished I had tried more products (salves, scalp scrubs etc) when I had the chance.

Edit: It looks like only some products don't ship to Canada? I'm a bit confused now.

No worries, I do ship to Canada yet! It's a little confusing, but I have the Critical Role oils all as stand alone listings with "free" shipping since they're since a draw to the shop from a non-standard group of customers.

You can find all the oils in the Previous Oil of the Month listings (https://www.etsy.com/shop/NightBlooming?ref=si_shop&search_query=previous) and that's set up for international shipping :) All the other ones (Tenderhead, Hinoki, Triple Moon Oil, etc) are too. It's just the Critical Role ones that are a little wonky since I'm testing Etsy's assertion that free shipping helps in search and sales (spoiler: so far it doesn't seem to).

You can always reach out to me directly on Etsy if you can't find anything :)

Ylva
June 12th, 2019, 11:58 AM
Looking at the 4 oz previous oil blends of the month, the price is €67.67 (+ shipping), and €12.80 for the 0.5 oz ones; is this absolutely correct? I thought I remembered a different, much lower price from not too long ago.

Zesty
June 12th, 2019, 12:03 PM
I recently dug out my Panacea's salve from my stash and it's been working well on my ends over an oil (as it has in the past -- duh), so I'm stalking the shop again. I didn't realize those teeny sample size oils were a thing but I'm pretty psyched! I have Ullassa saved for later and also want to try a floral one. I find the salve smell to be pretty mild so I assume it won't clash horribly with a scented oil.

Now, decisions... My hair likes so many oils, I guess in the end it'll be about scent. Shame I can't smell in person. :) I remember Frostfall Flowers working well (a million years ago) but I wasn't crazy about the smell, which is weird because I like flowers and such.

Has anyone else done the 1/32oz samples? Sorry if I missed anyone talking about them. :)

Decoy24601
June 12th, 2019, 12:09 PM
No worries, I do ship to Canada yet! It's a little confusing, but I have the Critical Role oils all as stand alone listings with "free" shipping since they're since a draw to the shop from a non-standard group of customers.

You can find all the oils in the Previous Oil of the Month listings (https://www.etsy.com/shop/NightBlooming?ref=si_shop&search_query=previous) and that's set up for international shipping :) All the other ones (Tenderhead, Hinoki, Triple Moon Oil, etc) are too. It's just the Critical Role ones that are a little wonky since I'm testing Etsy's assertion that free shipping helps in search and sales (spoiler: so far it doesn't seem to).

You can always reach out to me directly on Etsy if you can't find anything :)

Oh, thank you for the quick reply! I'm glad I can still order from you -- phew, lol.

---

Ylva I also remember some of the prices (particularly the hinoki hair growth oil) being a much lower price, but I haven't ordered anything in 2.5 years. I know with some of the hair toy shops (particularly grahtoestudio) the prices do generally go up over the years as they increase in popularity.

Oils and the like last me quite a while though, so the higher price doesn't bother me too much. I have a 4oz bottle of plain Argan oil that I bought over a year ago and it's only just now almost gone and that's because I spilled a lot of it.

Nightshade
June 12th, 2019, 12:41 PM
Looking at the 4 oz previous oil blends of the month, the price is €67.67 (+ shipping), and €12.80 for the 0.5 oz ones; is this absolutely correct? I thought I remembered a different, much lower price from not too long ago.

Oh, thank you for the quick reply! I'm glad I can still order from you -- phew, lol.

---

Ylva I also remember some of the prices (particularly the hinoki hair growth oil) being a much lower price, but I haven't ordered anything in 2.5 years. I know with some of the hair toy shops (particularly grahtoestudio) the prices do generally go up over the years as they increase in popularity.

Oils and the like last me quite a while though, so the higher price doesn't bother me too much. I have a 4oz bottle of plain Argan oil that I bought over a year ago and it's only just now almost gone and that's because I spilled a lot of it.

You're both correct in that the prices did go up, but I also doubled the essential oils in each bottle.

You can read the long version here of what happened and why (https://nightbloominggarden.com/2019/06/product-price-changes-lets-chat-about-whats-going-price-and-product-changes-lets-have-a-chat/), but if you were content with the oils before, because they are now more potent, you could split one between two bottles, top each off with your favorite carrier oil, and it shakes out to about the previous price :)

Decoy24601
June 12th, 2019, 04:25 PM
You're both correct in that the prices did go up, but I also doubled the essential oils in each bottle.

You can read the long version here of what happened and why (https://nightbloominggarden.com/2019/06/product-price-changes-lets-chat-about-whats-going-price-and-product-changes-lets-have-a-chat/), but if you were content with the oils before, because they are now more potent, you could split one between two bottles, top each off with your favorite carrier oil, and it shakes out to about the previous price :)

That makes sense! It's a shame you've had such an issue with your suppliers. I probably won't bother diluting the oil whenever I get around to making another order. If I feel like my hair needs more oil, but I don't want the extra scent, I can always use some plan argan oil on top of it.

TatsuOni
June 29th, 2019, 02:36 PM
Tomorrow I'm washing my hair and will finally try the alluvial! I'll come back with the result :) I'm yet to try the Tiahmani oil too.

Nightshade
June 29th, 2019, 09:42 PM
That makes sense! It's a shame you've had such an issue with your suppliers. I probably won't bother diluting the oil whenever I get around to making another order. If I feel like my hair needs more oil, but I don't want the extra scent, I can always use some plan argan oil on top of it.

Aye, I actually just updated the post I linked and adjusted the prices on the oils to split the difference. I wrote:

"Despite the supportive comments I had several nasty ones and oil sales more or less stopped, so the prices were adjusted again to split the difference between the old and new prices. It's less than I should be paying myself, but not selling anything also tells me I exceeded what my customers were willing to pay. I'll have to re-evaluate pricing and perhaps what I offer in the future with these. :) "

Tomorrow I'm washing my hair and will finally try the alluvial! I'll come back with the result :) I'm yet to try the Tiahmani oil too.

Exciting! I'll be curious especially how the Alluvial works for you.

TatsuOni
June 30th, 2019, 02:09 AM
Aye, I actually just updated the post I linked and adjusted the prices on the oils to split the difference. I wrote:

"Despite the supportive comments I had several nasty ones and oil sales more or less stopped, so the prices were adjusted again to split the difference between the old and new prices. It's less than I should be paying myself, but not selling anything also tells me I exceeded what my customers were willing to pay. I'll have to re-evaluate pricing and perhaps what I offer in the future with these. :) "

Exciting! I'll be curious especially how the Alluvial works for you.

I'm very excited to try it in a few hours! I do have mineral build up that needs to be removed.

Decoy24601
June 30th, 2019, 08:52 AM

Oh, that's really too bad that you had to do that. People can be unnecessarily nasty.

Ylva
June 30th, 2019, 08:55 AM
Nightshade, I hope you didn't perceive my message here as a nasty comment! I was just simply wondering about the price and if it was an error of some sort on Etsy. :)

Nightshade
June 30th, 2019, 02:07 PM
Oh, that's really too bad that you had to do that. People can be unnecessarily nasty.

Nightshade, I hope you didn't perceive my message here as a nasty comment! I was just simply wondering about the price and if it was an error of some sort on Etsy. :)

Oh no, not you guys or anything anyone has said here--people wanting to know what's up doesn't offend me at all and I'm happy to explain. There were a few... unkind Convos on etsy

TatsuOni
July 1st, 2019, 08:43 AM
I tried the Alluvial yesterday and am happy with the result :) My ends are back to normal without being dry or feeling like straw, so it did remove the mineral build up. I drenched my hair in it, put on a shower cap and a towel. Left it for around 13 minutes, rinsed it out and went on with my normal routine with homemade deep conditioner and CO-washing.

So now I know that my ends are fine and I only have to trim them to thicken up my hemline today :)

https://cdn1.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/4_5d1a1b8c2a6b2266702916bd.jpg
I also have some homemade aloe vera gel and NightBlooming oils in my hair. Aurelia and raven queen. I'm mixing 1/3 of the Aurelia and 2/3 of the Raven queen oils to get an even more wonderful smell! :crush:

Nightshade
July 1st, 2019, 08:57 AM
Oh that's a lovely picture! And I can totally see how Aurelia and Raven Queen would play nicely together ^_^

TatsuOni
July 1st, 2019, 08:59 AM
Oh that's a lovely picture! And I can totally see how Aurelia and Raven Queen would play nicely together ^_^

Thank you! :) Yes, I love both smells and wanted them both at once, so I tried mixing them a few weeks ago and it smelled amazing! So yeah, I'm hooked! :)

Nox_Inber
July 2nd, 2019, 07:32 PM
I got my oil samples in the mail! :cheese: It was hard to select only 3 but I ordered Ostar, Ullassa, and Samhain Spell and they all smell divine. If I had to pick my favorite based solely on aroma it's probably Samhain Spell. It reminds me of standing at the edge of an autumn forest at dusk with the scent of incense in the breeze. I've only tried Ostar on my hair so far and it makes my hair shiny and soft which is exactly what I wanted. It's also mild enough in weight that I'd have to be negligent to over oil my hair with it but my ends weren't dry after a day, which they normally are. I'm going to try a different one tomorrow but I haven't decided which yet. Once my current post-shower leave in (Shea Moisture Strengthen and Restore Leave In CO) runs out I'm really interested in trying Freya's Hair Salve.

TatsuOni, your hair is beautiful! I love your all black style :hifive:

Luna Starsetta
July 2nd, 2019, 08:10 PM
Okay just a tad confused and intrigued. Is someone on LHC selling hair products that are natural?! I would love to support how can I find out more?!

Nox_Inber
July 3rd, 2019, 12:05 AM
Okay just a tad confused and intrigued. Is someone on LHC selling hair products that are natural?! I would love to support how can I find out more?!

LHC user Nightshade has an Etsy shop called Nightblooming. Her products are very natural, definitely worth taking some time to look through :) https://www.etsy.com/shop/NightBlooming?ref=s2-header-shopname&listing_id=113022203

GrowlingCupcake
July 3rd, 2019, 03:28 AM

I'm really sorry you got such nasty comments. Honestly, the pricing of (I believe) $72 for a 4 oz bottle is not high at all given those bottles last well over a year. I've had mine for nearly a year now, and if I had used it every day (I sometimes switch or skip a day), I'd still only be down half a bottle. And I am quite generous with my oil applications. I use at least 2 to 3 drops on each side after washing my hair, and 1 to 2 drops each time I use it in between washes. A full bottle would last me two years or more.

Even if a bottle only lasted a year, it's still not a huge investment: Every day use would come up to ~ $0.20, twice weekly use would come up to ~ $0.70, and once a week would come up to ~ $1.40 per use. And I'm willing to bet using it twice a week or once a week would make the bottle last much longer than a year.

I cannot say I am not happy about the new prices as it means I have to shell out less, but I do worry it means you are taking a loss. Maybe offering a pre-cut version with a carrier oil of their choice could be a way to both pay yourself an appropriate amount, and please your customer base?

(Also, my apologies if my math is wrong. It doesn't seem right... but I'm sleepy, and easily confused by math xD)

I've been thinking of trying the alluvial rinses; I know my water has a lot of iron in it from the very red state of my bathtub but the method suggested would not work for me; I'd have to saturate it thoroughly, and then cover it with a shower cap.

Can it also be used for chlorine related issues? My mother-in-law has both hard water, and strongly chlorinated water.

Nightshade
July 3rd, 2019, 07:29 AM
I got my oil samples in the mail! :cheese: It was hard to select only 3 but I ordered Ostar, Ullassa, and Samhain Spell and they all smell divine. If I had to pick my favorite based solely on aroma it's probably Samhain Spell. It reminds me of standing at the edge of an autumn forest at dusk with the scent of incense in the breeze. I've only tried Ostar on my hair so far and it makes my hair shiny and soft which is exactly what I wanted. It's also mild enough in weight that I'd have to be negligent to over oil my hair with it but my ends weren't dry after a day, which they normally are. I'm going to try a different one tomorrow but I haven't decided which yet. Once my current post-shower leave in (Shea Moisture Strengthen and Restore Leave In CO) runs out I'm really interested in trying Freya's Hair Salve.

Samhain Spell is one of my favorites, too :)

I'm really sorry you got such nasty comments. Honestly, the pricing of (I believe) $72 for a 4 oz bottle is not high at all given those bottles last well over a year. I've had mine for nearly a year now, and if I had used it every day (I sometimes switch or skip a day), I'd still only be down half a bottle. And I am quite generous with my oil applications. I use at least 2 to 3 drops on each side after washing my hair, and 1 to 2 drops each time I use it in between washes. A full bottle would last me two years or more.

Even if a bottle only lasted a year, it's still not a huge investment: Every day use would come up to ~ $0.20, twice weekly use would come up to ~ $0.70, and once a week would come up to ~ $1.40 per use. And I'm willing to bet using it twice a week or once a week would make the bottle last much longer than a year.

I cannot say I am not happy about the new prices as it means I have to shell out less, but I do worry it means you are taking a loss. Maybe offering a pre-cut version with a carrier oil of their choice could be a way to both pay yourself an appropriate amount, and please your customer base?

(Also, my apologies if my math is wrong. It doesn't seem right... but I'm sleepy, and easily confused by math xD)

I've been thinking of trying the alluvial rinses; I know my water has a lot of iron in it from the very red state of my bathtub but the method suggested would not work for me; I'd have to saturate it thoroughly, and then cover it with a shower cap.

Can it also be used for chlorine related issues? My mother-in-law has both hard water, and strongly chlorinated water.

Aww, you're so kind :) And it's all right. I think it was just too much of a correction at once, that's all. I'll look to right-size things over the long term. :)

TatsuOni
July 3rd, 2019, 11:21 AM

Thank you! :flower:

This is how I did it :)

Nightshade
July 3rd, 2019, 12:21 PM
For Alluvial, one of the ways I use it (because my buildup is much more on the ends than on the top of my hair), is I add the powder to a plastic tupperware bowl of warm water and set it on the edge of the bathtub, then put the length of my hair in the bowl and let it soak while I read for a few minutes near the end of my bath. Then I pour the contents of the bowl through my hair and then wash and condition as normal :)

Nox_Inber
July 3rd, 2019, 08:31 PM
I tried out Ullassa today and love it as well! I noticed that it really absorbs into my hair, it feels very conditioning and softening. My hair didn't feel as shiny/slippery compared to Ostar but that's not a bad thing. It's still got shine and slip to it but I purposely got Ullassa because of the jojoba content, which my hair soaks up like a sponge. My ends have been very dry lately, "Oh, you're still dry? Have some more oil and conditioner then!!" I thought I completely overdid it with how much Ullassa I used but it absorbed into my hair fantastically. I expected to be an oil ball but nope, 10 minutes later it just looks like nicely moisturized hair lol :cool:

A good way to describe it is that Ullassa acts more like a deep leave in conditioner for extra dry hair days and Ostar is great for days where my hair is already mostly moisturized but I want to lock that in. I'd rank them both equally amazing for different purposes :D

I've still yet to use Samhain Spell, saving the best smell for last of course! I'll update about that one next time I wash my hair.

TatsuOni
July 5th, 2019, 04:49 AM
For Alluvial, one of the ways I use it (because my buildup is much more on the ends than on the top of my hair), is I add the powder to a plastic tupperware bowl of warm water and set it on the edge of the bathtub, then put the length of my hair in the bowl and let it soak while I read for a few minutes near the end of my bath. Then I pour the contents of the bowl through my hair and then wash and condition as normal :)

I miss having a bathtub even more now :laugh:

TatsuOni
July 5th, 2019, 05:27 AM
I just had a look at the oils and new prices. I don't know what the prices were before you lowered them a bit again. But your oils still aren't expensive! I mean, I could walk into a Swedish store and by some silicon stuff for the same price. Buying from you, I get handmade quality products that my hair loves! If shipping and fees weren't so expensive I'd have loved to buy even more things from NightBlooming! Sweden is a good country to live in, but not when it comes to shopping from outside of Europe.

GrowlingCupcake
July 5th, 2019, 10:32 AM
I just had a look at the oils and new prices. I don't know what the prices were before you lowered them a bit again. But your oils still aren't expensive! I mean, I could walk into a Swedish store and by some silicon stuff for the same price. Buying from you, I get handmade quality products that my hair loves! If shipping and fees weren't so expensive I'd have loved to buy even more things from NightBlooming! Sweden is a good country to live in, but not when it comes to shopping from outside of Europe.

Original prices:
1/2 ounce - USD8.50
4 ounce - USD29.75

Increased prices:
1/2 ounce - (I think) USD14.50
4 ounce - USD72

Current prices:
1/2 ounce - USD11
4 ounce - USD54

Not sure on the 1/32 ounce samples.

TatsuOni
July 5th, 2019, 11:00 AM
Original prices:
1/2 ounce - USD8.50
4 ounce - USD29.75

Increased prices:
1/2 ounce - (I think) USD14.50
4 ounce - USD72

Current prices:
1/2 ounce - USD11
4 ounce - USD54

Not sure on the 1/32 ounce samples.

Thanks :) I still don't think that's expensive, considering what you get and how long it lasts :)

GrowlingCupcake
July 5th, 2019, 07:44 PM
Thanks :) I still don't think that's expensive, considering what you get and how long it lasts :)

Same here. Based on my breakdown above, it's really quite cheap. It's just a large payment upfront.

Nightshade
July 6th, 2019, 04:47 PM
You guys are so sweet and supportive :grouphug: At least I know what my goal is, eventually, I just think that adjusting the price that much, even though it was also doubling the potency of the oils at the same time, was too much sticker shock for some people to do all in one go :)

Katia_k
July 6th, 2019, 10:00 PM
Same here. Based on my breakdown above, it's really quite cheap. It's just a large payment upfront.

That's the issue for me. I'll say that I totally support you doing whatever you need to do; we want you around making awesome stuff for a long time, without taking a loss. Those prices up front are just a lot when they hit the budget. So, nasty commenter jerks aside, I think the stop is not so much a protest as a "ehhhh... I have to consider that purchase a lot more closely now." Or at least it is for me.

But as I said you are an absolute treasure, and you have to do what's right for you. <3333 Just thought I'd throw in the broke-kid perspective that you probably already knew. Your stuff is amazing, and I think we'll all collectively go punch the mean people for you. :)

S&S
July 7th, 2019, 03:08 PM
My order is on its way to NZ, gotta do what ya gotta do :o

It will be my first time using her products as well, so I am excited :bounce:

TatsuOni
July 8th, 2019, 06:04 AM
My order is on its way to NZ, gotta do what ya gotta do :o

It will be my first time using her products as well, so I am excited :bounce:

What did you order? :)

S&S
July 8th, 2019, 04:42 PM
What did you order? :)

Freya's Hair Salve and Panacea's Hair Salve. Have you used them? :o

TatsuOni
July 9th, 2019, 09:39 AM
Freya's Hair Salve and Panacea's Hair Salve. Have you used them? :o

I love Freya's hair salve :) Panacea's wasn't right for my hair, so I gave it to a friend and she likes it :)

Nox_Inber
July 9th, 2019, 02:15 PM
I'm also waiting on Freya's in the mail! I think my current leave in is making my hair clumpy and weighed down. I ordered a sample and it's supposed to arrive on a wash day (yay!) along with a sample of Fjord Darktow. For those using Freya's, did you get it because it's protein free? My hair doesn't like protein more than once a week or two.

I used Samhains Spell today. My hair is soft and it feels like there's a good protective layer on there. The smell lingers in a good way, it smells amazing so I consider this a good thing. I'm very curious to see how it works with a different leave in.

S&S
July 9th, 2019, 03:11 PM
Ah okay! Yes, that's why I got Freya's as well... Saw that it didn't have protein, in case my hair didn't like Panacea.

:)

TatsuOni
July 10th, 2019, 06:38 AM
I'm also waiting on Freya's in the mail! I think my current leave in is making my hair clumpy and weighed down. I ordered a sample and it's supposed to arrive on a wash day (yay!) along with a sample of Fjord Darktow. For those using Freya's, did you get it because it's protein free? My hair doesn't like protein more than once a week or two.

I used Samhains Spell today. My hair is soft and it feels like there's a good protective layer on there. The smell lingers in a good way, it smells amazing so I consider this a good thing. I'm very curious to see how it works with a different leave in.

I got all three as samples so that I could try all of them :) I suspected that my hair wouldn't like the panacea because of the protein and I was right. But as I said, I did give it a good home with a friend :) I do like the Ostara too, but Freya is my favorite :)

Nox_Inber
July 10th, 2019, 04:37 PM
Huzzah! :D We can become the Three Freyateers! Slogan: GET THAT PROTEIN AWAY FROM ME! Mine's arriving tomorrow and I'm so excited :joy:

TatsuOni
July 11th, 2019, 02:32 AM
Huzzah! :D We can become the Three Freyateers! Slogan: GET THAT PROTEIN AWAY FROM ME! Mine's arriving tomorrow and I'm so excited :joy:

:laugh:

How exciting! I hope that you'll like it as much as I do :)

Nox_Inber
July 12th, 2019, 12:27 PM
I used Freya's post shower yesterday and wow. WOW. I can't believe how soft and shiny my ends are even next day. It's so smooth, no stickiness, globbiness, or general weirdness. With my old leave in it would've taken me 5x the amount of product to achieve the same thing and by that point all volume in my hair is gone. Plus the smell of Freya's is a really pleasant, clear, neutral smell but it's mild enough that it doesn't overpower my other smell goods. I am officially converted :D

GrowlingCupcake
July 12th, 2019, 07:33 PM
I really wish the salves would work for me, but I suspect my hair just doesn't like any 'cream'. It just ends up sticky, and grabby regardless of how much or how little I use. I've been using them on my dry skin bits, though, and they seem to work really well for that.

TatsuOni
July 13th, 2019, 02:41 AM
I used Freya's post shower yesterday and wow. WOW. I can't believe how soft and shiny my ends are even next day. It's so smooth, no stickiness, globbiness, or general weirdness. With my old leave in it would've taken me 5x the amount of product to achieve the same thing and by that point all volume in my hair is gone. Plus the smell of Freya's is a really pleasant, clear, neutral smell but it's mild enough that it doesn't overpower my other smell goods. I am officially converted :D

That's great! :cheer: I'm also impressed by how little you have to use! :)

I really wish the salves would work for me, but I suspect my hair just doesn't like any 'cream'. It just ends up sticky, and grabby regardless of how much or how little I use. I've been using them on my dry skin bits, though, and they seem to work really well for that.

That's too bad, but it's good that you're able to use it for something!

I've tried the Tiahmani oil now. My hair loved it. But I unfortunately don't love the smell. It smells like my favorite childhood candy (not that I ate much candy then either). Adult me think the smell is too "sweet" (could be since I don't eat candy at all, except for chocolate). But since my hair loved it, I'll try to mix it with some other oils.

Nox_Inber
July 14th, 2019, 01:00 PM

I have the same problem, my hair likes to clump and stick to itself. Using oils has helped a lot but I still have to be careful about my leave ins. So many of them are sticky and just sit on my hair, then I look like I haven't brushed my hair for a week! Hmmm, you know I've got a dry spot on my foot...your post is giving me an idea :D

That's great! :cheer: I'm also impressed by how little you have to use! :)

I've tried the Tiahmani oil now. My hair loved it. But I unfortunately don't love the smell. It smells like my favorite childhood candy (not that I ate much candy then either). Adult me think the smell is too "sweet" (could be since I don't eat candy at all, except for chocolate). But since my hair loved it, I'll try to mix it with some other oils.

Thank you :D It helps when your hair isn't quite APL :cry: Lol, at least products last me a long time right now.

I wonder if it was the Benzoin. I read an article that says it can impart sweetness without needing sugar. I can't say I'd want to smell like candy from my childhood either! Are the oils with Dragonsblood red? I always thought that'd be the coolest thing. "Look at my awesome mystical hair potion!" and proceed to hiss at people that come too close :rollin:

Nightshade
July 14th, 2019, 01:13 PM
I wonder if it was the Benzoin. I read an article that says it can impart sweetness without needing sugar. I can't say I'd want to smell like candy from my childhood either! Are the oils with Dragonsblood red? I always thought that'd be the coolest thing. "Look at my awesome mystical hair potion!" and proceed to hiss at people that come too close :rollin:

I suspect it's the Benzion and ginger that's reading like candy (it doesn't to me, personally, but I can see how it might to someone else).

And the oils with dragonsblood are often reddish, but the only one that's red is the straight dragonsblood oil. And no worries, it doesn't stain hair :)

Nox_Inber
July 15th, 2019, 04:49 PM
I suspect it's the Benzion and ginger that's reading like candy (it doesn't to me, personally, but I can see how it might to someone else).

And the oils with dragonsblood are often reddish, but the only one that's red is the straight dragonsblood oil. And no worries, it doesn't stain hair :)

That's really cool! I haven't tried a DB fused one yet. The only thing stopping me from ordering a sample of darn near everything is the fact that I'm out of work lol. But hey, eventually my 4 samples will run out and I guess I'll haaave to buy some more ;)

GrowlingCupcake
July 15th, 2019, 06:59 PM
I'm fairly certain I have Tiahmani so I'm going to go have to give a smell later, when I'm more up to getting out of bed.

That's too bad, but it's good that you're able to use it for something!

I have the same problem, my hair likes to clump and stick to itself. Using oils has helped a lot but I still have to be careful about my leave ins. So many of them are sticky and just sit on my hair, then I look like I haven't brushed my hair for a week! Hmmm, you know I've got a dry spot on my foot...your post is giving me an idea :D

For me, the only leave-ins that seem to cause this issue are the salves (any of them, and I've tried all three in varying quantities), and Garnier Whole Blends Replenishing Leave-in Conditioner with Virgin-Pressed Olive Oil & Olive Leaf Extracts (https://www.garnierusa.com/about-our-brands/whole-blends/legendary-olive-replenishing/legendary-olive-replenishing-leave-in-conditioner-with-olive-oil-olive-leaf-extracts). It's a creamy leave-in. The salves don't work well for my hair, but my hair *hates* that Garnier leave-in. I do have some other cream type products I haven't tried yet so I'll have to give them a shot to see if that's actually the case or if there's some ingredient in these that my hair just "nopes" to. So far, my hair only seems like to serum-type leave-ins, actual conditioner (Garnier Fructis one-minute hair mask in *small* quantities), and oils. I have a lot more to try, though xD

I do also want to try the salves again, see how they feel now that my hair has started feeling better/more well-cared for.

I find using the salves as a DC treatment works really well. About once a week, we go to our friends' home for game night/hanging out/dnd, and I always wash my hair when I come home because they have pets, and I am allergic. I've taken to liberally applying the salve, braiding my hair, and then doing a braided cinnabun or something to keep it out of my way, and close to my scalp. Not as much heat as wrapping my head would be but it's also on for like 2-3 hours at least. It definitely seems to make it *much* softer.

But! It's definitely helping the dry skin. I've also used it on my cuticles every now, and then. But only do this if you don't need to touch anything as it doesn't quite get absorbed (or you'd have to use a lot less, and even a pea-sized amount is too much). I usually layer for my dryest bits (pure vit e oil + heavy cream + light lotion) so I've added this just after the vitamin e oil, and before the heavy cream.

S&S
July 17th, 2019, 02:47 PM

I think I am having a similar problem...

I used Freya's salve last night after my shower and I am definitely not having the same experience as others who say its smooth and slippery.? It goes on my hair like wax! I rubbed dime size on the palms of my hands to warm it up and tried to spread it over the bottom half of my damp hair - It instantly felt sticky, I couldn't run my hands through my hair - I had to comb it through and then just ended up slathering avocado oil all over it :confused:

Nightshade
July 17th, 2019, 03:08 PM
I think I am having a similar problem...

I used Freya's salve last night after my shower and I am definitely not having the same experience as others who say its smooth and slippery.? It goes on my hair like wax! I rubbed dime size on the palms of my hands to warm it up and tried to spread it over the bottom half of my damp hair - It instantly felt sticky, I couldn't run my hands through my hair - I had to comb it through and then just ended up slathering avocado oil all over it :confused:

Try using very, very little :) I use a rice-grain sized amount for all my tailbone-length hair--warm it up between my palms, pat the ends, then pat up the length, and then smooth.

S&S
July 17th, 2019, 03:13 PM
Try using very, very little :) I use a rice-grain sized amount for all my tailbone-length hair--warm it up between my palms, pat the ends, then pat up the length, and then smooth.

Oh wow, that little! Okay thanks, and should I put anything on before or should this be my first step?

GrowlingCupcake
July 17th, 2019, 03:19 PM
Oh wow, that little! Okay thanks, and should I put anything on before or should this be my first step?

If that doesn't work, try going the other way. Usually less is good but if your hair is like mine, it might just like more.

I think I'm going to give the salves a shot again, starting with Panacea. Maybe if I mix oil + the salve together it'll feel better?

Experiment #1: rice-grain sized amount! Today is wash day so I should find out by tomorrow.

Nightshade
July 17th, 2019, 03:32 PM

If that doesn't work, try going the other way. Usually less is good but if your hair is like mine, it might just like more.

I think I'm going to give the salves a shot again, starting with Panacea. Maybe if I mix oil + the salve together it'll feel better?

Experiment #1: rice-grain sized amount! Today is wash day so I should find out by tomorrow.

I recommend the LOC layering method and lay it out in more detail here (https://nightbloominggarden.com/2017/11/nightblooming-loc-liquid-oil-cream/), but my general order would be Selkie, salve, then an oil :) In my case that's too much, so I tend to just do Selkie and salve after a shower.

GrowlingCupcake
July 17th, 2019, 03:49 PM
I recommend the LOC layering method and lay it out in more detail here (https://nightbloominggarden.com/2017/11/nightblooming-loc-liquid-oil-cream/), but my general order would be Selkie, salve, then an oil :) In my case that's too much, so I tend to just do Selkie and salve after a shower.

That was how I was doing it, and I found the salve too sticky/grabby despite small amounts, middling, large, etc. Now I do selkie + biosilk/serum + oil. It's why I'm wondering if mixing it with the oil (tiny bit of salve, smaller than usual oil amount) would work well.

I do know the salves are great for deep conditioning, and I've got a bit on my ends now since I'll be washing my hair later tonight. I've just not had good success with them as leave-ins though I am going to give it another shot.

FennFire911
July 17th, 2019, 03:51 PM

Hhhmmm, I haven't tried this combo yet. For now I've been doing Selkie, Triple Moon oil, and a leave in light cream conditioner. I may try this with Panacea in the middle and Triple Moon as the last step. Today's wash day anyway. I've been wearing Hinoki oil on my scalp and Freya's salve on my lengths and ends since lunch. lol I guess I'm getting to be a product junkie. Freya's is too heavy to use as a leave in but it's a great pre-poo for me.

Another thing I've been meaning to ask, can you make oil blend/misters for all of your aromas? I'd love to smell like Selkie all day, or Panacea.

Nightshade
July 17th, 2019, 04:28 PM
Hhhmmm, I haven't tried this combo yet. For now I've been doing Selkie, Triple Moon oil, and a leave in light cream conditioner. I may try this with Panacea in the middle and Triple Moon as the last step. Today's wash day anyway. I've been wearing Hinoki oil on my scalp and Freya's salve on my lengths and ends since lunch. lol I guess I'm getting to be a product junkie. Freya's is too heavy to use as a leave in but it's a great pre-poo for me.

Another thing I've been meaning to ask, can you make oil blend/misters for all of your aromas? I'd love to smell like Selkie all day, or Panacea.

Yes and no :lol:

So yes in that I can do oil blends and misters using the combination of essentials I put in Selkie or Panacea, but that doesn't mean that the oil blend or mister will smell just like Selkie or Panacea. The other ingredients in each of those products lends something to how it smells, which is why 'unscented' products still have an odor, they're just missing the things that are added just for fragrance. That said, it'd be reasonably close :)

FrayedFire
July 18th, 2019, 01:29 PM
Either my hair didn't like the chelating rinse, or I did it wrong. However, the henna went well. I only used half the bag but I ended up with almost a perfect colour! I'm already itching to do it again but I won't need to for a couplefew months so I'm definitely gonna try some other products in the meantime... so many options...

Katia_k
July 19th, 2019, 07:29 PM
I'm not sure how I never thought of using the salves as a pre-poo...I'm not very smart. That's a fantastic idea. Now I have to order more stuff...darn.

GrowlingCupcake
July 19th, 2019, 07:56 PM
I'm not sure how I never thought of using the salves as a pre-poo...I'm not very smart. That's a fantastic idea. Now I have to order more stuff...darn.

xD It's actually one of the suggested uses, deep conditioning, and leave-in. It makes my hair super soft as a pre-poo.

GrowlingCupcake
July 24th, 2019, 11:14 AM
So I tried a *small* amount of Panacea after my wash on Saturday. It was Selkie --> Biosilk --> NB blend oil --> Panacea

It did not go well. Made my ends grabby, tanglier, puffy/voluminous but not in a good way. (like they weren't smooth). They weren't soft like they usually are. I had to use a ton of selkie + biosilk + oil over it to tame it a little, and even that didn't help. So, sadly, I'm going to have to stick to just using it as a deep conditioner. On the plus side, it is an amazing deep conditioner for me.

TatsuOni
September 30th, 2019, 07:46 AM
https://cdn1.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/img_20190930_144823_5d9202c62a6b228d8356157e.jpg
:crush:

https://cdn3.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/img_20190930_145556_5d9203602a6b228d83561599.jpg
The oils smells lovely and I can't decide which to try first!

Ylva
October 21st, 2019, 05:03 PM
Will there be a Black Friday sale again this year? I'm very seriously considering placing my first ever NightBlooming order somewhat soon. :)

Arciela
October 22nd, 2019, 03:21 PM
Got another Panacea! I love this stuff..it makes my hair so moisturized :flower:

Nightshade
October 23rd, 2019, 01:36 AM
Will there be a Black Friday sale again this year? I'm very seriously considering placing my first ever NightBlooming order somewhat soon. :)

I haven't decided exactly what products or what discount, but yes, there will be some sort of sale. I tend to run them Black Friday through Cyber Monday :)

Nox_Inber
October 28th, 2019, 01:25 PM

I might be a bit biased buuuuuut YESSS DO IT DO IT DO IT :stirpot:

TatsuOni
October 30th, 2019, 07:10 AM

Oh yes! :agree: DO IT, DO IT!

Ylva
October 30th, 2019, 07:18 AM

Oh yes! :agree: DO IT, DO IT!

I'll wait to see what goes on sale first! I'm broke right now anyway. :D

TatsuOni
October 30th, 2019, 07:25 AM
I'll wait to see what goes on sale first! I'm broke right now anyway. :D

Alright. DO IT when you can! DO IT when you can! ;)

Ylva
October 30th, 2019, 07:27 AM
Alright. DO IT when you can! DO IT when you can! ;)

It's starting to look quite likely that I will indeed DO IT!

TatsuOni
October 30th, 2019, 07:40 AM
It's starting to look quite likely that I will indeed DO IT!

I approve! :agree:

Ylva
November 28th, 2019, 06:06 AM
The leather fragrance oil in Miketh! What is it, actually?

Ylva
November 29th, 2019, 12:17 PM
Well, I'm a late nightbloomer, but I finally placed my first ever NightBlooming order today. :)

I bought the book (with the Lucien oil sample and the following mini-samples: Andúnië, Raven Queen's Chosen, Selkie, Mollymauk, Frostfall Flowers, Samhain Spell, Widogast, Fjord Darktow and Winter's Crest. I tried to pick a bunch of different kinds to experiment with what my hair likes best. The scent descriptions also played a big part in my selections - I noticed I chose a lot of wintery and autumnal scents.

TatsuOni
November 30th, 2019, 10:41 AM
Well, I'm a late nightbloomer, but I finally placed my first ever NightBlooming order today. :)

I bought the book (with the Lucien oil sample and the following mini-samples: Andúnië, Raven Queen's Chosen, Selkie, Mollymauk, Frostfall Flowers, Samhain Spell, Widogast, Fjord Darktow and Winter's Crest. I tried to pick a bunch of different kinds to experiment with what my hair likes best. The scent descriptions also played a big part in my selections - I noticed I chose a lot of wintery and autumnal scents.

Oh! :) I think that you'll be happy! :) Raven Queen's one of my favorites :)

Ylva
November 30th, 2019, 12:25 PM
Oh! :) I think that you'll be happy! :) Raven Queen's one of my favorites :)

I remembered that you had praised the scent in this thread in the past, that was the reason why I picked it! :) Looking forward to trying them all!

Should I keep them in the fridge when not in use? Especially ones I haven't yet opened?

Nightshade
November 30th, 2019, 09:23 PM
The leather fragrance oil in Miketh! What is it, actually?

The leather fragrance oil is a blend of various non-essential oil perfume components that smell like leather. Fragrances are considered proprietary, so the don't have to disclose exactly what's in it, but I've used it without any issue on my person :)

I remembered that you had praised the scent in this thread in the past, that was the reason why I picked it! :) Looking forward to trying them all!

Should I keep them in the fridge when not in use? Especially ones I haven't yet opened?

You can, but don't have to. They'll keep for about a 6 months to year (depending on the types of oils comprising a particular blend) on their own without any refrigeration, longer with it.

TatsuOni
December 1st, 2019, 06:52 AM

I'm storing mine in the bathroom cabinet (it's dark in there) and I've never had an oil "go bad" :)

Ylva
December 1st, 2019, 06:59 AM
The leather fragrance oil is a blend of various non-essential oil perfume components that smell like leather. Fragrances are considered proprietary, so the don't have to disclose exactly what's in it, but I've used it without any issue on my person :)

You can, but don't have to. They'll keep for about a 6 months to year (depending on the types of oils comprising a particular blend) on their own without any refrigeration, longer with it.

I'm storing mine in the bathroom cabinet (it's dark in there) and I've never had an oil "go bad" :)

Thank you both for the info! :) I suppose I will keep them in the bathroom cabinet once in use and in the fridge prior to that, works fine that way. :)

Arciela
December 1st, 2019, 03:29 PM

Same here! I've had mine for a year or two and it still works perfectly fine :flower:

TatsuOni
December 2nd, 2019, 10:37 AM
Same here! I've had mine for a year or two and it still works perfectly fine :flower:

The only thing that I've noticed for "older" oils, is that the smell is fading.

Nightshade
December 4th, 2019, 08:01 AM
The only thing that I've noticed for "older" oils, is that the smell is fading.

Aye, that makes sense, the essential oils are the volatile bit and they'll break down first :)

Zesty
December 13th, 2019, 09:50 AM
I just placed an order for a custom oil. I... do not totally trust myself to come up with something good to be honest. :lol: Basically I wanted sunflower oil that smelled pretty (I don't love that sort of olive oil-y smell lingering around me if I'm doing a pre wash treatment while running errands or what have you). And then I was like, what the heck, let's see if castor oil agrees with my hair. And so it went.

I'm excited to try, even if I have foolishly taken it out if the hands of the master. :p

TatsuOni
December 13th, 2019, 10:28 AM
I just placed an order for a custom oil. I... do not totally trust myself to come up with something good to be honest. :lol: Basically I wanted sunflower oil that smelled pretty (I don't love that sort of olive oil-y smell lingering around me if I'm doing a pre wash treatment while running errands or what have you). And then I was like, what the heck, let's see if castor oil agrees with my hair. And so it went.

I'm excited to try, even if I have foolishly taken it out if the hands of the master. :p

How exciting! :)

Ylva
December 13th, 2019, 10:41 AM
I just declared my order, so it should arrive within a few days.

Shipping + customs fee was equal to the value of the items I bought. :laugh:

How exciting! :)

Indeed!

TatsuOni
December 13th, 2019, 10:43 AM
I just declared my order, so it should arrive within a few days.

Shipping + customs fee was equal to the value of the items I bought. :laugh:

Indeed!

It's the same for me when I order from NightBlooming :p + Taxes.

Zesty
December 13th, 2019, 10:49 AM
Boy the more I hear the worse I feel for those of us who have to order internationally. I would have even questioned if they'd let liquid/perishable items ship overseas but I guess obviously they do.

TatsuOni
December 13th, 2019, 10:54 AM
Boy the more I hear the worse I feel for those of us who have to order internationally. I would have even questioned if they'd let liquid/perishable items ship overseas but I guess obviously they do.

These costs "only" apply when ordering something from outside of EU :rolleyes:

Zesty
December 13th, 2019, 11:12 AM
These costs "only" apply when ordering something from outside of EU :rolleyes:

Joy. :rolleyes:

Ylva is this your first NightBlooming order? I follow this thread a little but can't remember whether you said.

Ylva
December 13th, 2019, 11:41 AM
Joy. :rolleyes:

Ylva is this your first NightBlooming order? I follow this thread a little but can't remember whether you said.

Yes, it is! And unfortunately, I fear it will be my last, too. As much as I'd love to support such a dedicated indie creator, it might not be realistic for me as a student because of the shipping and import costs. But we'll see.

Zesty
December 13th, 2019, 12:31 PM
Yes, it is! And unfortunately, I fear it will be my last, too. As much as I'd love to support such a dedicated indie creator, it might not be realistic for me as a student because of the shipping and import costs. But we'll see.

Ah I totally get it on all counts. I hope you love what you got though! Even if you don't buy again, oils and salves and such (if that's what you got?) last a long time for me at least. :)

Ylva
December 13th, 2019, 12:36 PM
Ah I totally get it on all counts. I hope you love what you got though! Even if you don't buy again, oils and salves and such (if that's what you got?) last a long time for me at least. :)

Yep, I got a big bunch of oil samples and the book! I was considering Freya's salve, but my hair isn't a fan of shea butter so I decided to pass on it, which I kind of regret anyway.

Zesty
December 13th, 2019, 12:43 PM
Yep, I got a big bunch of oil samples and the book! I was considering Freya's salve, but my hair isn't a fan of shea butter so I decided to pass on it, which I kind of regret anyway.

I just got the ebook too. :) My hair gets super weird with shea butter (my ends get really limp and seem to disappear, it's very weird) but all the salves have worked for me over the years. Not to make the regret worse! Just to know if you do ever order again.

I love that you can get the little samples and try a bunch. Are there any you're particularly looking forward to? They've all made my hair feel amazing but the scents have been hit or miss, but I think that's my fault. I should have known not to stray from florals I guess. :p The custom I just ordered is lavender and orange.

Ylva
December 14th, 2019, 02:25 AM
I just got the ebook too. :) My hair gets super weird with shea butter (my ends get really limp and seem to disappear, it's very weird) but all the salves have worked for me over the years. Not to make the regret worse! Just to know if you do ever order again.

I love that you can get the little samples and try a bunch. Are there any you're particularly looking forward to? They've all made my hair feel amazing but the scents have been hit or miss, but I think that's my fault. I should have known not to stray from florals I guess. :p The custom I just ordered is lavender and orange.

Awesome, have you started on it yet? Thinking about it, the physical book added a lot to the shipping costs, so maybe I'll be able to make some purchases in the future during sales, for example... I just really appreciate physical books, personally, and have found myself purchasing quite a few this past year, so it was important to me to get it in that form. Good to know that the salves can work for non-shea-loving hair!

Indeed, and I've heard that the small samples last a good while, too! I'm the opposite when it comes to scents - I find that lavender in particular clashes with my nose. I interpret the scent as this sort of... herbal vomit. :confused: I've mostly learned to stay away from lavender, haha. I look forward to trying absolutely all of them, but I must mention that I feel compelled to ONLY use them during appropriate seasons or in fitting situations. That is why I've decided that Fjord Darktow will be the first one I test because at that time, I will be in Norway, so it's an obvious combination. Then, I will proceed with Winter's Crest at the coldest time of the year (January-February). Kind of lame that I will have to wait with Samhain Spell for almost a year but what can you do, it just wouldn't feel right.

Zesty
December 14th, 2019, 04:43 AM
I haven't started yet. I love physical books too but I don't really buy them anymore, if I need to interact with real pages I get a book from the library but otherwise I use my Kindle. :)

Anyway, that's a cool idea to do the oils at different times! I'd think it'd make them feel extra special. :) I wouldn't have the patience. :lol: And scents are so personal, that's why I'm usually hesitant to get scented stuff online. The one sure thing seems to be rose but I already have plenty of a rose hair oil. :shrug:

Ylva
December 20th, 2019, 08:34 AM
I haven't started yet. I love physical books too but I don't really buy them anymore, if I need to interact with real pages I get a book from the library but otherwise I use my Kindle. :)

Anyway, that's a cool idea to do the oils at different times! I'd think it'd make them feel extra special. :) I wouldn't have the patience. :lol: And scents are so personal, that's why I'm usually hesitant to get scented stuff online. The one sure thing seems to be rose but I already have plenty of a rose hair oil. :shrug:

E-readers are certainly very handy, I'll admit. I mostly do my reading using my Nook, too.

I do love the fact that people have such different preferences for scents. It makes for a whole new layer of self-expression and identity which I've only recently started to pay closer attention to.

---
Wohoo, my order arrived! The customs took a weirdly long time to forward it after I'd declared it.

The scents are all wonderful. Samhain Spell seems the most unique out of those I picked out, too bad I have to wait 10 months or so to try it out. :lol:

Zesty
December 20th, 2019, 08:55 AM
Yay! I hope you like the effect as well as the smell. :)

Mine is out for delivery, I'm interested to see how it interacts with my hair. I might do a light oiling overnight.

TatsuOni
December 20th, 2019, 10:14 AM
I hope that you'll both like your products! :)

Zesty
December 21st, 2019, 03:23 PM
The custom oil is a win! The herbal/citrusy scent is lovely and it made my hair feel very soft when I put a few drops on my lengths overnight. :o

Now I'm planning to start my ebook after I finish this library book, but I guess that's not hair related. :p

TatsuOni
December 22nd, 2019, 09:05 AM
The custom oil is a win! The herbal/citrusy scent is lovely and it made my hair feel very soft when I put a few drops on my lengths overnight. :o

Now I'm planning to start my ebook after I finish this library book, but I guess that's not hair related. :p

It's great that you like your new oil! :cheer:

TatsuOni
December 22nd, 2019, 09:06 AM
Double post.

cestlavie
December 25th, 2019, 04:52 AM
Got my Panacea yesterday and used some in my hair before braiding it. When I took out my braid my hair was so soft and had absorbed all of the product, no residue whatsoever. I'm so happy with it and smell is gorgeous!!

TatsuOni
December 25th, 2019, 09:45 AM
Got my Panacea yesterday and used some in my hair before braiding it. When I took out my braid my hair was so soft and had absorbed all of the product, no residue whatsoever. I'm so happy with it and smell is gorgeous!!

That's great! :cheer:

FrayedFire
December 26th, 2019, 02:24 PM
My SO really wants to get me hair oils as a gift, and I just cannot decide what I want, so I may end up with ALL of the samples (except Coconut and Olive), but that means I don't get any scented ones because that's DEFINITELY too many options. I wish I could smell them instead of trying to guess combinations from the dozens of choices.

HealthyHopesPDX
January 4th, 2020, 06:30 PM
I had never tried a hair salve before - i wasn't expecting anything much from it since i have fine hair. I thought it'd probably make my hair look greasy, which was totally cool with me (i was planning on using it as a deep conditioner on days at home). I got the nightblooming Freya's salve.

MAN am i impressed. I can use it on wet and dry hair without it making my hair look greasy. It completely tames my flyaways and nourishes the strands without turning things into an oil slick. It's absolutely perfect for days when i need to look presentable for work (i can't be looking like I'm doing a deep oil treatment at work) and want to wear my hair in a protective style (bun or French braid). Flyaways gone, strands nourished. Easy easy easy! The scent is nice and light, and the ingredients are... ideal! So grateful for this product. I will for SURE be buying the full size at some point, though I'm not sure if i should try Panacea or the third salve before i commit to full size....

Thank you, nightblooming! ♡

HealthyHopesPDX
January 4th, 2020, 06:37 PM
My SO really wants to get me hair oils as a gift, and I just cannot decide what I want, so I may end up with ALL of the samples (except Coconut and Olive), but that means I don't get any scented ones because that's DEFINITELY too many options. I wish I could smell them instead of trying to guess combinations from the dozens of choices.

Be sure to pay attention to the ingredients and the group type rather than the description. All of her descriptions sound like absolute perfection, to the point where, when i ordered some oils, i ignored some very obvious clues that would have steered me in a better direction for my preferences.

For example, if you know that you don't tend to like incense-type smells, then i wouldn't risk getting one in the incense category (despite the beautiful description!). I love and trust the ingredients in everything i got, but the decisions i made were more based on others' recommendations instead of my own personal tastes, which was my mistake!

And if you do get the oils, be sure to use them very sparingly. Melissa does not skimp on the essential oils! A little bit goes a long way. Just a drop or two will leave you with a pleasant result, whereas a dropper-full could knock you over!

HairWitch
January 4th, 2020, 08:45 PM
I've not bought from this shop in a year or two. But I've never bought a product from her that I didn't LOVE.

TatsuOni
January 5th, 2020, 10:16 AM
I had never tried a hair salve before - i wasn't expecting anything much from it since i have fine hair. I thought it'd probably make my hair look greasy, which was totally cool with me (i was planning on using it as a deep conditioner on days at home). I got the nightblooming Freya's salve.

MAN am i impressed. I can use it on wet and dry hair without it making my hair look greasy. It completely tames my flyaways and nourishes the strands without turning things into an oil slick. It's absolutely perfect for days when i need to look presentable for work (i can't be looking like I'm doing a deep oil treatment at work) and want to wear my hair in a protective style (bun or French braid). Flyaways gone, strands nourished. Easy easy easy! The scent is nice and light, and the ingredients are... ideal! So grateful for this product. I will for SURE be buying the full size at some point, though I'm not sure if i should try Panacea or the third salve before i commit to full size....

Thank you, nightblooming! ♡

Another Freya's salve fan! :hifive:

Nightshade
January 5th, 2020, 02:45 PM
Be sure to pay attention to the ingredients and the group type rather than the description. All of her descriptions sound like absolute perfection, to the point where, when i ordered some oils, i ignored some very obvious clues that would have steered me in a better direction for my preferences.

For example, if you know that you don't tend to like incense-type smells, then i wouldn't risk getting one in the incense category (despite the beautiful description!). I love and trust the ingredients in everything i got, but the decisions i made were more based on others' recommendations instead of my own personal tastes, which was my mistake!

And if you do get the oils, be sure to use them very sparingly. Melissa does not skimp on the essential oils! A little bit goes a long way. Just a drop or two will leave you with a pleasant result, whereas a dropper-full could knock you over!

This is very good advice :) People's tastes vary a LOT so sticking to categories you know you like is a wise first step. I would also say generally avoid ingredients you know you don't like with a caveat: if there's more than three or four EOs in a blend, you likely won't be able to pick out a particular oil unless it's a very clear top note or very heavy base note, it becomes part of the overall aroma and not the scent you don't like.

A great example of this, I don't like the smell of Anise, but I love it in chai-blends. It doesn't smell like anise any longer, but adds a creamy top note.

FrayedFire
January 8th, 2020, 03:19 PM
This is very good advice :) People's tastes vary a LOT so sticking to categories you know you like is a wise first step. I would also say generally avoid ingredients you know you don't like with a caveat: if there's more than three or four EOs in a blend, you likely won't be able to pick out a particular oil unless it's a very clear top note or very heavy base note, it becomes part of the overall aroma and not the scent you don't like.

A great example of this, I don't like the smell of Anise, but I love it in chai-blends. It doesn't smell like anise any longer, but adds a creamy top note.

That's good to know, thanks. I know some of the ones I do and don't like, but some of them, I'd never even heard of! I like the smell of anise, but I wouldn't know how different oils blend. So would you recommend any blend I get to be less than 4 oils, or do you just mean it would be more of an indiscernible but still nice scent if there were more?

Erinliz
January 8th, 2020, 05:15 PM
Just ordered the sample set. Can't wait to try them!

Nightshade
January 9th, 2020, 01:05 PM
That's good to know, thanks. I know some of the ones I do and don't like, but some of them, I'd never even heard of! I like the smell of anise, but I wouldn't know how different oils blend. So would you recommend any blend I get to be less than 4 oils, or do you just mean it would be more of an indiscernible but still nice scent if there were more?

Right I just mean that if there's a lot of oils in a blend it gets really hard to start picking out individual notes. If a blend has lavender and lime, for instance, you'll get that top hit of lime and then the deeper undertones of lavender that linger after. So if there's just one of a particular note (top middle or base) it'll probably come through clearly, but if there's several competing top notes, for example, they blend into one.

And I'm happy to describe any of the uncommon oils and how they smell if you're not sure, for example, what muhuhu smells like (it's a variant of sandalwood and smells like it---warm, dry wood).

Zesty
January 9th, 2020, 01:16 PM
I just finished the book and it inspired me to buy some samples of the Iyarri Chronicles oil blends. I got Aurelia, Tiahmani, and Aamon because the list of EOs seemed closest to something I would like. Scents are funny though, we shall see. :p

Hair oils are really the only scented thing I put on my body (which is funny because I love scented candles etc), and I may have many but I can justify more right? :lol:

Zesty
January 13th, 2020, 02:13 PM
I just finished the book and it inspired me to buy some samples of the Iyarri Chronicles oil blends. I got Aurelia, Tiahmani, and Aamon because the list of EOs seemed closest to something I would like. Scents are funny though, we shall see. :p

Hair oils are really the only scented thing I put on my body (which is funny because I love scented candles etc), and I may have many but I can justify more right? :lol:

To my surprise, I like all three of them. Aurelia is my favorite. I haven't tried any on my hair yet though, just a sniff test. I'm sure they'll agree with my hair though, everything else from NightBlooming does. :)

TatsuOni
January 14th, 2020, 05:55 AM
To my surprise, I like all three of them. Aurelia is my favorite. I haven't tried any on my hair yet though, just a sniff test. I'm sure they'll agree with my hair though, everything else from NightBlooming does. :)

That's great! :cheer: Aurelia and Raven queen are my favorites, both smell wise and for my hair :)

FrayedFire
January 15th, 2020, 06:23 AM
Right I just mean that if there's a lot of oils in a blend it gets really hard to start picking out individual notes. If a blend has lavender and lime, for instance, you'll get that top hit of lime and then the deeper undertones of lavender that linger after. So if there's just one of a particular note (top middle or base) it'll probably come through clearly, but if there's several competing top notes, for example, they blend into one.

And I'm happy to describe any of the uncommon oils and how they smell if you're not sure, for example, what muhuhu smells like (it's a variant of sandalwood and smells like it---warm, dry wood).

There's also the initial smell and then what it turns into after being put on, right? I guess if you got two scents that blended well for each note, you could do 6 and still not have it become too muddled, but I think that would probably be my cutoff.

I'm sure I'll send you loads of questions when I actually start getting ready to order scents, but first I want to find which carrier oils my hair and skin like before I start getting fancy with scents, since there's really too many options to buy all the EO sample bottles like I am with the oils.

Zesty
January 15th, 2020, 07:00 AM
Now that I've actually opened them and started applying, I really love Tiahmani. Unfortunately the smells tend to get lost in my hair, though admittedly I'm using very little. But the scent has lingered on my hands and I can't stop sniffing. :lol: I'm glad I know my hair gets along with so many oils, I really have fun with scents.

Ylva
January 15th, 2020, 06:07 PM
I finished a small bottle of Winter's Crest and really enjoyed the scent. It was very familiar but at the same time it was somehow glorifying that familiarity, if that makes any sense.

FrayedFire
January 15th, 2020, 06:56 PM
I finished a small bottle of Winter's Crest and really enjoyed the scent. It was very familiar but at the same time it was somehow glorifying that familiarity, if that makes any sense.

It doesn't make sense but it does make me want to try it!

Ylva
January 16th, 2020, 04:10 AM
It doesn't make sense but it does make me want to try it!

:laugh: Fair enough!

Well, I finished Fjord Darktow today and didn't experience the same with that scent. A bit too "fishy" of a scent for me haha, must be the seaweed. Still, I like it in itself, it just clashes with me somehow.

Zesty
January 18th, 2020, 01:05 PM
There's really a difference between how it smells in the bottle and how it interacts with your hair!

I want to buy a half ounce bottle of a scented oil but I can't decide on which one. I'm using Aamon this wash cycle and really love it too. It's not as... spicy and incense-y as Tiahmani but has a similar "vibe." DH okayed both smells, he said they both smell like wood and he likes wood. :lol: I'm going to try Aurelia for one more wash cycle as well. And I'm interested in a sample of Darignis!

I would love to have a variety of options on hand but I can't justify buying multiple half ounce bottles, and it seems a bit silly to keep buying the little vials, plus it's more difficult to control how much comes out without a dropper.

Anyway, blah blah blah first world problems. :lol:

FrayedFire
January 20th, 2020, 02:31 PM
So I'm putting on some of the new hair oils that DBF got me, specifically soy and sesame... I do a scent check with him, and he tells me I smell like chinese food... "but like, in a good way!"

Zesty
January 21st, 2020, 07:18 AM
Can anyone tell me how one could use the salves as a DT? Usually I do them on dry hair before a shower but even warming the salve up in my hands it's just sticky and really hard to apply. I've seen that other people do DTs with them so maybe I'm missing something? Are you doing it on wet hair after cleansing like a deep conditioner...?

Nightshade
February 1st, 2020, 12:45 AM
Can anyone tell me how one could use the salves as a DT? Usually I do them on dry hair before a shower but even warming the salve up in my hands it's just sticky and really hard to apply. I've seen that other people do DTs with them so maybe I'm missing something? Are you doing it on wet hair after cleansing like a deep conditioner...?

There's a few ways to do it, but my preference is towel-damp hair, then apply the salve in layers a little at a time until the hair is super saturated, then pile it up on top of your head, toss on a shower cap or saran wrap and a warm hat, then let it soak in for a few hours.

If it's easier, you can always float the salve container in hot water until it's melted and apply it as a liquid rather than a cream :)

Zesty
February 1st, 2020, 06:20 AM
There's a few ways to do it, but my preference is towel-damp hair, then apply the salve in layers a little at a time until the hair is super saturated, then pile it up on top of your head, toss on a shower cap or saran wrap and a warm hat, then let it soak in for a few hours.

If it's easier, you can always float the salve container in hot water until it's melted and apply it as a liquid rather than a cream :)

Awesome, that seems like it would be much easier. Thanks for replying!

Also (not directed at anyone in particular, just a random NightBlooming thought LOL) I saw the Nesah oil yesterday and the EOs and description *sound* right up my alley, I wish I'd been able to add it to my latest order of samples. I'm a little obsessed with the Iyarri blends, I'm an avid fantasy reader and it just is so fun to me.

Hopefully I'll like the Alluvial enough to buy a full size and I can throw that oil in there when I order... So far Tiahmani is my favorite but I want to try more before I commit to a bigger bottle of a particular scent.

Hailwidis
February 2nd, 2020, 02:11 PM
I'm curious about the Nesah scented oil... It has several ingredients in common with the Selkie detangler, whose smell I like. Do they smell similar?

Alcohol-based perfumes really don't play nicely with my skin, so I've been looking into solid perfumes/scented oils lately. This could be an option.

Nightshade
February 3rd, 2020, 12:24 AM
I'm curious about the Nesah scented oil... It has several ingredients in common with the Selkie detangler, whose smell I like. Do they smell similar?

Alcohol-based perfumes really don't play nicely with my skin, so I've been looking into solid perfumes/scented oils lately. This could be an option.

I wouldn't say they smell similar, but they'd compliment (i.e. if you used them together they wouldn't clash). I do have just the EOs for Selkie, too :)

selenaistrouble
February 6th, 2020, 12:27 PM
I just ordered some samples and I'm super excited!! I got the selkie spray, triple moon oil and the panacea's salve. :cheese:

TatsuOni
February 6th, 2020, 01:26 PM
I just ordered some samples and I'm super excited!! I got the selkie spray, triple moon oil and the panacea's salve. :cheese:

How exciting :cheer:

Hailwidis
February 7th, 2020, 10:55 AM
I wouldn't say they smell similar, but they'd compliment (i.e. if you used them together they wouldn't clash). I do have just the EOs for Selkie, too :)

Thanks for your answer, that makes sense! I do like the idea of added florals, so I'll definitely get a sample of Nesah if I order one of these days. But if it ends up not being what I'm after, it's lovely to know it would be possible to get a Selkie scented oil.

Zesty
February 7th, 2020, 11:02 AM
I got more samples. :doh: I'm really looking for my Goldilocks oil so I got little samples of Nesah and Raven Queen's Chosen, even though the shipping is about as much as a sample LOL. Tiahmani is the one to beat but after these two I'll settle down and get a real bottle of something...

Hailwidis
February 7th, 2020, 11:38 AM
Let us know what you think , Zesty :D