PDA

View Full Version : Feeling so down about my hair :(

Sarahlabyrinth
March 6th, 2018, 01:19 PM
And I just want to chop it off up to about waist. I hate the way it disappears against a pale background, and would like to be able to wear it loose against any colour rather than having to wear something dark all the time.

I mean, look at the difference colour makes to how it looks!!! But I don't want to lose the length! GRRR!!!

https://i.imgur.com/4sn4eWq.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/vmjgMzS.jpg

ipickee
March 6th, 2018, 01:23 PM
Totally understand your frustration!! It looks absolutely beautiful on the darker background! Maybe, if you choose not to cut, you could use heatless curls to help with the volume? But, overall still very beautiful! :grouphug:

Sarahlabyrinth
March 6th, 2018, 01:26 PM
Totally understand your frustration!! It looks absolutely beautiful on the darker background! Maybe, if you choose not to cut, you could use heatless curls to help with the volume? But, overall still very beautiful! :grouphug:

I doubt that heatless curls would help. I have braid waves in the second pic, and do prefer my hair with them, but it doesn't make it any less see through.

This see through-ness is part of the reason I don't wear it loose more often as I am so self-conscious about the way it looks.
But then, if I don't wear it loose then what does it matter if it IS see-through? Can't I just wear dark clothes when it's loose?

SIGH... and so the thoughts go around and around in my head.....and i always quite like it freshly washed....

What are all your opinions, please?

fhairyqueen
March 6th, 2018, 01:29 PM
You have Disney princess hair !!!!! I wish I had your hair it’s so beautiful
Please don’t cut it your hair is one that I admire so very much !!!

Glitch
March 6th, 2018, 01:47 PM
Your hair is so beautiful, I’m sure there are other options rather than to lose length! I think you can remedy this by having the thickness travel down to the ends (that way the background wouldn’t impact it much). Your hair seems pretty thick up to the hips. Perhaps this lady’s tips may be helpful: http://youtube.com/watch?v=l_hiep--0E8
And my mom, who used to have knee-length hair like you, used to massage in a lot of castor oil as well for shine (nice visibility) and thickness, braid it up, and let it soak in overnight :)

Sorry I keep editing this, I’m on mobile and it’s, well, glitchy haha. Anyway, in talking to my mom, hair oiling was her main go-to and she never took hair vitamins or anything special like that. So I would maybe experiment more with different mixes of oils :D

Sarahlabyrinth
March 6th, 2018, 01:51 PM
Your hair is so beautiful, I’m sure there are other options rather than to lose length! I think you can remedy this by having the thickness travel down to the ends (that way the background wouldn’t impact it much). Your hair seems pretty thick up to the hips. Perhaps this lady’s tips may be helpful: https://youtube.com/watch?v=l_hiep--0E
And my mom, who used to have knee-length hair like you, used to massage in a lot of castor oil as well for shine (nice visibility) and thickness, braid it up, and let it soak in overnight :)

The video is unavailable. It is true that the thickness is travelling down, but, oh, it has so far to go! But If I cut my hair shorter I will have less length for my buns, which I want to be big.... I do use mineral oil, which gives plenty of shine but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Nothing will make that thinness look thicker except for a dark colour underneath.

Jas
March 6th, 2018, 01:57 PM
Sarah your hair is absolutely beautiful - yours was the first I saw when I came here and I just wished mine was like that!
Your natural colour is coming along and that will work against any background. Microtrim ming is going to do you a world of good - it just takes time. I think you underestimate how absolutely stunning your hair is, it's at lengths most people can only dream of! :)

Sarahlabyrinth
March 6th, 2018, 02:01 PM
Sarah your hair is absolutely beautiful - yours was the first I saw when I came here and I just wished mine was like that!
Your natural colour is coming along and that will work against any background. Microtrim ming is going to do you a world of good - it just takes time. I think you underestimate how absolutely stunning your hair is, it's at lengths most people can only dream of! :)

You have a point, it's true about the natural colour thing. But, oh boy, what a loooong process that's going to be! (I do love my natural colour, so that's ONE good thing!)

Caraid♫
March 6th, 2018, 02:07 PM
My opinion is don't cut! At least keep the length for big-bun-purposes as the thickness travels down!
Your hair is gorgeous, but I can see how its more flattering on the dark back ground (as it is for most everyone!! I mean no shade with that comment!!)
It is frustrating to not be able to wear your hair down with all colours (if you decide it bothers you enough, because of course you can wear it down with any colour)- but if my hair looked that awesome on a black background, heck I'd ditch my whole wardrobe for black clothing!! And it's not like you have to stop wearing pale colours, especially since you can sport huge buns (provided by your incredible length) on days you are wearing light clothing !

I suspect if you cut it, you might still wear it up lots and might therefore miss the length for big buns

One possible trick- My hair always looked thicker regardless of colour I was wearing if I brought all my hair to one side in front of my shoulder and kind of twirled the length of my hair into one twirl if that makes sense. That way the ends didn't splay out and become see-through-ee. It was always more flattering that way (though my hair was only ever TBL so I cant comment on the practicality of that at your length!)

LexI bright
March 6th, 2018, 02:11 PM
I agree with everyone's comments. Your hair is stunning! But I do get your frustration. We are always our own worst critics! You are already microtrimming, which will help your thickness but yes, it will take time. I am researching how to thicken up my hair but the opposite of you....I am thin on top. I just started using fermented rice water rinses. I don't know if your climate allows, but if you want to enjoy more light colored clothing, how about a pale top like a cream or pastel cami with a medium toned lightweight unbuttoned jacket or shirt or shawl overtop? I am thinking jewel tones like emerald and ruby and sapphire would be a nice backdrop to your gorgeous hair!

chiapommama
March 6th, 2018, 02:13 PM
Sarah I love your hair. Like a silver waterfall. Love your YouTube videos. You've got truly thud worthy hair. Just wanted to say that.

Lady Stardust
March 6th, 2018, 02:13 PM
I wonder if it would help to set a date to reassess? You've recently started microtrimming haven't you? If you can give it 6 months or one full year of microtrimming you will see how much the thickness has travelled down, and you can reassess from there. The difference that you see after a few months might be enough to keep your enthusiasm up.

In the meantime, focus on the positives. Your hair is beautiful. You enjoy wearing it up, so enjoy wearing your light coloured clothes on those days. It goes into buns more easily than it would if it was the same thickness all the way down, so it doesn't matter if the thickness hasn't reached the ends yet. It will get there and it will be worth the wait!

I really think you should give microtrimming a reasonable amount of time before calling time on all your hard work in getting your hair to this amazing length and in such good condition.

wispe
March 6th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Thats one of the reasons why I had my own big chop. I couldn't wear it down because my bleach thinned it so much. But I did really struggle at first having cut too short for the styles I was used to wearing (also, I still have canopy damage that will take another year out two to grow out). So I wish I had grown the damage out further before I made my cut, but I was also emotionally exhausted dealing with the damage, so I understand why you might want to just not deal with it anymore... If you're not comfortable at the length where your thickness ends/thinning starts then I guess I wouldn't cut it, because unless you've cut above the problem area you'll miss the length and still have the same issue.

That said it is beautiful as-is, I've admired your hair ever since I first joined and still do!

Groovy Granny
March 6th, 2018, 02:16 PM
I doubt that heatless curls would help. I have braid waves in the second pic, and do prefer my hair with them, but it doesn't make it any less see through.

This see through-ness is part of the reason I don't wear it loose more often as I am so self-conscious about the way it looks.
But then, if I don't wear it loose then what does it matter if it IS see-through? Can't I just wear dark clothes when it's loose?

SIGH... and so the thoughts go around and around in my head.....and i always quite like it freshly washed....

IMHO do NOT cut your hair :tmi:

It is beautiful! :crush:

We all have things we like ...or don't about our hair re: various styles...because it enhances our hair...or not.

So in your case when wearing light colors...braid or barrette/ponytail it etc.... and bling it up with your gorgeous butterflies, parandas etc...... so it is fun for you and will appear more thick.

Then wear it down loose when wearing darker colors seeing that shows it up better.

You can see it thickening up nicely as you micro trim :thumbsup: ...and YOU TOOK A LONG TIME TO GET TO YOUR GOAL....so please enjoy it :cheer:

Dark40
March 6th, 2018, 02:27 PM
To me, your hair is beautiful! But I can totally understand your frustration too! When you wear light background your hair colour is going to appear lighter but if you wear your hair down in dark background it won't look so bad. No, I don't think you need to lose the length or cut it.

wannabe-rusalka
March 6th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Please dont cut! When I first started this forum and I was unsure of growing my hair out I got one look of your beautiful knee length hair and decided I wanted fairytale length hair too. You are a legend on here and many of us look up to you. Even if your ends are a little see through I still think your hair is absolutely gorgeous and 1000% worth keeping. Microtrim it for a while and see how you feel about it then :). I know how you feel with it being see through in some colors, my hair does the same thing and is a heck of a lot shorter. I personally would take super long see through hair over shorter seethrough hair any say.

lapushka
March 6th, 2018, 02:31 PM
Weren't you showing us a while ago, in the microtrimming thread (:?: not sure) that you recently went from trimming just 6 hairs to a bunch of them because your thickness had traveled down a bit.

I say, hang in there, and black is nice to wear, anytime! ;) :D :flower:

Glitch
March 6th, 2018, 03:00 PM
You've recently started microtrimming haven't you?

Oh! For some reason I had assumed you were already microtrimming for a long time. I'm sure it'll make a great impact as you continue onwards with it :D Waiting isn't fun, but you'll get the thickness to travel down much quicker than if you were to cut long lengths and then wait for that (speaking from experience...). I hope time flies for you!

Sarahlabyrinth
March 6th, 2018, 03:07 PM

Absolutely stunning? I think I must be not seeing it the way you do....

My opinion is don't cut! At least keep the length for big-bun-purposes as the thickness travels down!
Your hair is gorgeous, but I can see how its more flattering on the dark back ground (as it is for most everyone!! I mean no shade with that comment!!)
It is frustrating to not be able to wear your hair down with all colours (if you decide it bothers you enough, because of course you can wear it down with any colour)- but if my hair looked that awesome on a black background, heck I'd ditch my whole wardrobe for black clothing!! And it's not like you have to stop wearing pale colours, especially since you can sport huge buns (provided by your incredible length) on days you are wearing light clothing !

I suspect if you cut it, you might still wear it up lots and might therefore miss the length for big buns

One possible trick- My hair always looked thicker regardless of colour I was wearing if I brought all my hair to one side in front of my shoulder and kind of twirled the length of my hair into one twirl if that makes sense. That way the ends didn't splay out and become see-through-ee. It was always more flattering that way (though my hair was only ever TBL so I cant comment on the practicality of that at your length!)

I do think the keeping the length for big buns is a good idea, it's one reason I haven't chopped already, I'm too afraid that I will miss the length. Because I do love the length. And I already do wear my hair up if I wear light colours. Now you all will know why you only see me wearing black for hair photos :rolling:

I have tried the twirling-the-ends-thing to get a nice clumpy curl and it does work, at least for a while, as does wearing the air to the front over one shoulder so it is more in a mass and keeps together. That works well, until it gets in the way! LOL.

I agree with everyone's comments. Your hair is stunning! But I do get your frustration. We are always our own worst critics! You are already microtrimming, which will help your thickness but yes, it will take time. I am researching how to thicken up my hair but the opposite of you....I am thin on top. I just started using fermented rice water rinses. I don't know if your climate allows, but if you want to enjoy more light colored clothing, how about a pale top like a cream or pastel cami with a medium toned lightweight unbuttoned jacket or shirt or shawl overtop? I am thinking jewel tones like emerald and ruby and sapphire would be a nice backdrop to your gorgeous hair!

That is a lovely and very inventive suggestion, thank you!

Sarah I love your hair. Like a silver waterfall. Love your YouTube videos. You've got truly thud worthy hair. Just wanted to say that.

Awww, thank you, that's so sweet of you :flowers:

Thats one of the reasons why I had my own big chop. I couldn't wear it down because my bleach thinned it so much. But I did really struggle at first having cut too short for the styles I was used to wearing (also, I still have canopy damage that will take another year out two to grow out). So I wish I had grown the damage out further before I made my cut, but I was also emotionally exhausted dealing with the damage, so I understand why you might want to just not deal with it anymore... If you're not comfortable at the length where your thickness ends/thinning starts then I guess I wouldn't cut it, because unless you've cut above the problem area you'll miss the length and still have the same issue.

That said it is beautiful as-is, I've admired your hair ever since I first joined and still do!

Thank you :) I think I would have a panic attack if I suddenly chopped it off to waist, somehow. I guess I'll have to keep bunning it and forgetting about it, and micro trimming in the meantime.

IMHO do NOT cut your hair

It is beautiful! :crush:

We all have things we like ...or don't about our hair re: various styles...because it enhances our hair...or not.

So in your case when wearing light colors...braid or barrette/ponytail it etc.... and bling it up with your gorgeous butterflies, parandas etc...... so it is fun for you and will appear more thick.

Then wear it down loose when wearing darker colors seeing that shows it up better.

You can see it thickening up nicely as you micro trim :thumbsup: ...and YOU TOOK A LONG TIME TO GET TO YOUR GOAL....so please enjoy it.

I already do these things :D We have to do what we gotta do to enhance what we have the best way we can. I want to enjoy it, and mostly I do. But sometimes I get down about it.

To me, your hair is beautiful! But I can totally understand your frustration too! When you wear light background your hair colour is going to appear lighter but if you wear your hair down in dark background it won't look so bad. No, I don't think you need to lose the length or cut it.

Thank you, Dark40. I guess the general consensus is not to cut, then.

Please dont cut! When I first started this forum and I was unsure of growing my hair out I got one look of your beautiful knee length hair and decided I wanted fairytale length hair too. You are a legend on here and many of us look up to you. Even if your ends are a little see through I still think your hair is absolutely gorgeous and 1000% worth keeping. Microtrim it for a while and see how you feel about it then . I know how you feel with it being see through in some colors, my hair does the same thing and is a heck of a lot shorter. I personally would take super long see through hair over shorter seethrough hair any say.

Well, I see your point about preferring to have super long see through hair than shorter see through hair. Looking at it that way, I think I would agree with you. I think... do I? LOL.

Weren't you showing us a while ago, in the microtrimming thread (:?: not sure) that you recently went from trimming just 6 hairs to a bunch of them because your thickness had traveled down a bit.

I say, hang in there, and black is nice to wear, anytime! ;) :flower:

I was, yes, but that thinness is probably over a foot in length and that's some years of micro trimming I' m going to have to be doing. But really, I don't have much choice, do I, if I'm not going to cut. I'll give it a year of micro trimming and see how it looks then. Hopefully it will look somewhat better, at least.

I do think my thickness is travelling down though, as soon as my hair is dry I'll get another pic and we'll see.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 6th, 2018, 03:08 PM
Oh! For some reason I had assumed you were already microtrimming for a long time. I'm sure it'll make a great impact as you continue onwards with it :D Waiting isn't fun, but you'll get the thickness to travel down much quicker than if you were to cut long lengths and then wait for that (speaking from experience...). I hope time flies for you!

I only began in January, Lady Stardust :)

Lady Stardust
March 6th, 2018, 03:32 PM
I only began in January, Lady Stardust :)

It will just get better and better from here!

C_Bookworm
March 6th, 2018, 03:36 PM
Your hair is so stunning. The gold mixed with the silver is poetic and pretty. It makes me think of proverbial apples of gold in silver carvings.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 6th, 2018, 03:52 PM

I sure hope so!

Your hair is so stunning. The gold mixed with the silver is poetic and pretty. It makes me think of proverbial apples of gold in silver carvings.

Oh, my - (blush). Thanks!

Glitch
March 6th, 2018, 04:27 PM

I sure hope so!

I second this :) Come 2019, your hair will be glowing <3 I myself started microtrimming for the first time a year ago, and this is both the longest and thickest my hair has ever been, with no straggly parts. I'm excited for your much longer hair to transform :D

Sarahlabyrinth
March 6th, 2018, 04:30 PM
I second this :) Come 2019, your hair will be glowing <3 I myself started microtrimming for the first time a year ago, and this is both the longest and thickest my hair has ever been, with no straggly parts. I'm excited for your much longer hair to transform :D

Maybe we should be cheering it on! YAY, GO HAIR!!!! :p

Seriously though, I have seen micro trimming do wonders for many people :) so I very much hope it will for me too.

ETA: Do you have any before and after pics?

JennGalt
March 6th, 2018, 04:45 PM
Nooooo!!!! Please don't cut it; it's too pretty to cut! Despite having a texture and color very different from my own, your hair is (and was one of the first) source of hair inspiration for me.

I have a similar problem with thinner ends blending in to clothing. I like to wear black, and my hair blends into it. But my ends a pretty thin, and they like to spread themselves out and look even thinner. My ends can appear to blend into anything except white or light grey from a distance. However, I've noticed that when I move, my hair will reflect light as it moves and thus distinguish itself from even dark backgrounds. This effect never shows up in pix and is difficult to see properly in the mirror(for me anyway). But others notice, and I've gotten a glimpse a time or two using two mirrors and good lighting.

I don't have any silver yet, but I hope that when I do, my hair will be as long and gorgeous as yours. Please give the microtrimming and the shawl/sweater ideas a chance!

:blossom:

Sarahlabyrinth
March 6th, 2018, 04:49 PM
Nooooo!!!! Please don't cut it; it's too pretty to cut! Despite having a texture and color very different from my own, your hair is (and was one of the first) source of hair inspiration for me.

I have a similar problem with thinner ends blending in to clothing. I like to wear black, and my hair blends into it. But my ends a pretty thin, and they like to spread themselves out and look even thinner. My ends can appear to blend into anything except white or light grey from a distance. However, I've noticed that when I move, my hair will reflect light as it moves and thus distinguish itself from even dark backgrounds. This effect never shows up in pix and is difficult to see properly in the mirror(for me anyway). But others notice, and I've gotten a glimpse a time or two using two mirrors and good lighting.

I don't have any silver yet, but I hope that when I do, my hair will be as long and gorgeous as yours. Please give the microtrimming and the shawl/sweater ideas a chance!

I will give that a chance, JennGalt :) And in the meantime try not to look at it with pale coloured shirts on.

MamaSwanky
March 6th, 2018, 05:08 PM
I have to second a comment made earlier - yours was the first hair I saw on LHC! I don't have any advice but to tell you it's so pretty! Part of our journey for long hair comes with accepting who we are (I've been watching a lot of Moana!) and I think your hair is pretty just the way it is.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 6th, 2018, 05:15 PM
I have to second a comment made earlier - yours was the first hair I saw on LHC! I don't have any advice but to tell you it's so pretty! Part of our journey for long hair comes with accepting who we are (I've been watching a lot of Moana!) and I think your hair is pretty just the way it is.

Thank you so much for your lovely words, MamaSwanky. I agree, it's easy to be accepting of others and we are so hard on ourselves, and accepting that we should be kind to ourselves as well can be pretty difficult. It's a big battle for me, I know. It's a self-esteem problem, for sure. I know that others don't see me the way I see myself.

bparnell75
March 6th, 2018, 05:16 PM
The video is unavailable. It is true that the thickness is travelling down, but, oh, it has so far to go! But If I cut my hair shorter I will have less length for my buns, which I want to be big.... I do use mineral oil, which gives plenty of shine but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Nothing will make that thinness look thicker except for a dark colour underneath.

Sarah, I am at BCL and having the same conversations with my self. A cut would make it pretty to wear down, but then my buns would suffer.
Do you have a goal in mind? Maybe keep it long until you reach goal then cut back a little at a time until you are happy with it.

Glitch
March 6th, 2018, 05:19 PM
Maybe we should be cheering it on! YAY, GO HAIR!!!! :p

Seriously though, I have seen micro trimming do wonders for many people :) so I very much hope it will for me too.

ETA: Do you have any before and after pics?

For sure! And yes I do have some photos, they're not the best hair pics since they were taken for general purposes, but the hair is still clear and I can send you them. Is that possible on here? I think the big difference might surprise you!

Sarahlabyrinth
March 6th, 2018, 05:21 PM
Sarah, I am at BCL and having the same conversations with my self. A cut would make it pretty to wear down, but then my buns would suffer.
Do you have a goal in mind? Maybe keep it long until you reach goal then cut back a little at a time until you are happy with it.

Heh, well, believe it or not, my next goal is ankle, if I can make it. But I want to improve my ends at least a little first. Knee doesn't feel long enough :laugh:

Sarahlabyrinth
March 6th, 2018, 05:49 PM
For sure! And yes I do have some photos, they're not the best hair pics since they were taken for general purposes, but the hair is still clear and I can send you them. Is that possible on here? I think the big difference might surprise you!

I think you can PM me with them if you like, or put them on here, yes. I would very much like to see them.

Here's the first photo I put on this thread, and one from today The thickness is moving down.

https://i.imgur.com/4sn4eWq.jpg https://i.imgur.com/dresfWh.jpg

Ligeia Noire
March 6th, 2018, 06:31 PM
My dear Sarah I love your hair. I think it is the epitome of fairytale hair, the length, the colour, the texture. I also understand the urge of having a perfect blunt hemline. I don't know what I would do in your position. I think that if you don't wear your hair down much and you like bigger and intricate buns you need that length and it does not matter if it is thin. Moreover you can use parandas to thicken it. Also, when wearing it down you can always wear darker colours but if you don't want to, I think it looks lovely anyway. Dont cut it. You have been doing such a great job microtriming and the thickness is traveling down. You surely can see that.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 6th, 2018, 06:37 PM
I can see it, Ligeia, when I am in a logical frame of mind. And I agree with what you say.

But when I am having an unhappy-with-my-hair day, I can't bear to look at it. I guess that's when I look forward to the next trim, and put it up and forget about it :p

PS You are so kind :flowers: Thank you!

Flowerness
March 6th, 2018, 07:23 PM
It is difficult when we are self conscious about something. That is usually when I take a step back, and ignore whatever it is until I am feeling like I am in a better frame of mind. When I trying to focus on a goal, like improving my hair I try to focus on what I do like and what works. If pale clothing makes you self conscious, perhaps make it a fun thing to wear your favorite dark clothes on picture days and make a fun thing of it? What are your favorite hairstyles that you enjoy but maybe haven't done as often? Hair toys? Deep treatments or oils? What would help you to enjoy the process more? (I've been eyeing some avocado oil for a while now!) One thing I do, just for fun... well it is silly, but on the first nice day in Spring when I don't need to wear a coat, and I'm having a good hair day I go for a walk with my hair down. No rain, snow, or wind. I do my hair and make up and take some pictures. I invite my Mom along and make it fun. (No wind is important here!) It makes it something to enjoy. What are your favorite dark or medium colored clothing that perhaps you don't wear a lot but would enjoy getting out for fun? Any new braids or updos you'd like to learn in the mean time? You have a lot of healthy thick hair and it is only a matter of time for it to go down to where you want it to. What do you like or enjoy about your hair, how would you enjoy wearing it in the mean time? What would help you feel good, now and while you are taking care of it? Oilings? SMTs?

No matter what, your hair is glorious. Even awesome hair people have bad days that don't feel as great. What would you enjoy doing with your hair in the mean time? Maybe something you couldn't do with shorter hair? How big of an awesome bun can you do? Can you do pics of those to enjoy them?

You have beautiful, long hair! Enjoy!

NightSister
March 6th, 2018, 07:23 PM
What a great difference between those two photos! Certainly the thickness is travelling down. It's easy to cut, and harder to wait.... but the wait will be worth it. Enjoy all you've accomplished - it only gets better from here :)

EdG
March 6th, 2018, 07:26 PM
Sarah - my hair had the exact same taper. It was thick up until my waist, but a small percentage of strands could grow to my calves. The difference was very apparent in photos taken with direct lighting, and less apparent in photos taken with ambient lighting. I tried to take the latter. ;)

There was nothing I could do about the taper. I think that it is not unusual for hairs to have differing terminal lengths.

I suggest that you enjoy your hair as it is. We are all dealt the genes that we have. :)
Ed

Ligeia Noire
March 6th, 2018, 07:39 PM
Thank you, I am kind to those who are kind to me but my opinions are never out of kindness, it is a fact the length is traveling down, slowly but it is and all of us have some degree of fairytale ends, wait another year and see what you want to do, if you still want to cut, there will be nothing wrong on doing so, hair grows. I think you have some awesome progress there.

spidermom
March 6th, 2018, 07:44 PM
It seems that you've found a solution, so rock it! But quite honestly, your hair would be just as pretty if it were shorter.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 6th, 2018, 07:59 PM
It is difficult when we are self conscious about something. That is usually when I take a step back, and ignore whatever it is until I am feeling like I am in a better frame of mind. When I trying to focus on a goal, like improving my hair I try to focus on what I do like and what works. If pale clothing makes you self conscious, perhaps make it a fun thing to wear your favorite dark clothes on picture days and make a fun thing of it? What are your favorite hairstyles that you enjoy but maybe haven't done as often? Hair toys? Deep treatments or oils? What would help you to enjoy the process more? (I've been eyeing some avocado oil for a while now!) One thing I do, just for fun... well it is silly, but on the first nice day in Spring when I don't need to wear a coat, and I'm having a good hair day I go for a walk with my hair down. No rain, snow, or wind. I do my hair and make up and take some pictures. I invite my Mom along and make it fun. (No wind is important here!) It makes it something to enjoy. What are your favorite dark or medium colored clothing that perhaps you don't wear a lot but would enjoy getting out for fun? Any new braids or updos you'd like to learn in the mean time? You have a lot of healthy thick hair and it is only a matter of time for it to go down to where you want it to. What do you like or enjoy about your hair, how would you enjoy wearing it in the mean time? What would help you feel good, now and while you are taking care of it? Oilings? SMTs?

No matter what, your hair is glorious. Even awesome hair people have bad days that don't feel as great. What would you enjoy doing with your hair in the mean time? Maybe something you couldn't do with shorter hair? How big of an awesome bun can you do? Can you do pics of those to enjoy them?

You have beautiful, long hair! Enjoy!

Thanks! I do enjoy making buns with it, and many of them do look nice, and if I cut it shorter I wouldn't be able to do that as well. I take many hair pics to enjoy, and also make hair videos which look ok (though I always wear black, which makes my hair look SO much better, lol). I'll probably just continue with my usual routine, which is pretty much benign neglect and Patience. I think I run out of it on occasion. Time for a new bottle. Super size.

What a great difference between those two photos! Certainly the thickness is travelling down. It's easy to cut, and harder to wait.... but the wait will be worth it. Enjoy all you've accomplished - it only gets better from here :)

It has to, right? In another year the thickness should have reached the bottom of my shirt, at least.

Sarah - my hair had the exact same taper. It was thick up until my waist, but a small percentage of strands could grow to my calves. The difference was very apparent in photos taken with direct lighting, and less apparent in photos taken with ambient lighting. I tried to take the latter. ;)

There was nothing I could do about the taper. I think that it is not unusual for hairs to have differing terminal lengths.

I suggest that you enjoy your hair as it is. We are all dealt the genes that we have. :)
Ed

Thank you, Ed :D Yes, learning to enjoy the hair we have does certainly give much more peace of mind.

Thank you, I am kind to those who are kind to me but my opinions are never out of kindness, it is a fact the length is traveling down, slowly but it is and all of us have some degree of fairytale ends, wait another year and see what you want to do, if you still want to cut, there will be nothing wrong on doing so, hair grows. I think you have some awesome progress there.

I will certainly wait another year, maybe more and see how it's going.

It seems that you've found a solution, so rock it! But quite honestly, your hair would be just as pretty if it were shorter.

Thank you, spidermom :) Sometimes I think the same, but the feeling generally passes!

CrowningGlory
March 6th, 2018, 08:07 PM

I have the same thoughts going around and around ...

I'm one who does seem to regularly cut back to waist due to thinning ends because I think it would be nice to wear my hair down more often. I do for the first week or so but then it's back up in a bun for the majority of the time and I wonder why having thick ends mattered so much to me when I really want to reach tailbone again (or even classic for once in my life).

Am I correct in understanding that you have just reached your goal? If so, could that be partly to blame for feeling down? For years you've focused on growing your hair long and, while it's a slow progress, month by month you could see it getting longer. When microtrimming, you're not gaining any length and it can be hard to see the thickness travelling down unless you keep good pictorial records. It's taken me years to realise my thickness has travelled down - albeit super slowly. Also, and I think I'm correct in this too, your ends will have be fragile due to old dye, but the new growth that is moving down should be lovely and healthy. You've got two things going on (growing out dye and trying to thicken) and neither is going to give you instant results. So it's normal to feel that you've reached your goal (length) but it feels anti-climatic because you still feel as if you have a ways to go to get the hair YOU want. (Believe me, there is nothing wrong with your hair.)

I certainly recommend the two-week rule and then re-evaluating. Don't do anything on a whim. In the end only you can decide but it sounds to me that you'll be happier keeping the length and microtrimming.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 6th, 2018, 08:27 PM
I have the same thoughts going around and around ...

I'm one who does seem to regularly cut back to waist due to thinning ends because I think it would be nice to wear my hair down more often. I do for the first week or so but then it's back up in a bun for the majority of the time and I wonder why having thick ends mattered so much to me when I really want to reach tailbone again (or even classic for once in my life).

Am I correct in understanding that you have just reached your goal? If so, could that be partly to blame for feeling down? For years you've focused on growing your hair long and, while it's a slow progress, month by month you could see it getting longer. When microtrimming, you're not gaining any length and it can be hard to see the thickness travelling down unless you keep good pictorial records. It's taken me years to realise my thickness has travelled down - albeit super slowly. Also, and I think I'm correct in this too, your ends will have be fragile due to old dye, but the new growth that is moving down should be lovely and healthy. You've got two things going on (growing out dye and trying to thicken) and neither is going to give you instant results. So it's normal to feel that you've reached your goal (length) but it feels anti-climatic because you still feel as if you have a ways to go to get the hair YOU want. (Believe me, there is nothing wrong with your hair.)

I certainly recommend the two-week rule and then re-evaluating. Don't do anything on a whim. In the end only you can decide but it sounds to me that you'll be happier keeping the length and microtrimming.

YES to everything you have said. I do nearly always wear it up for protection, so nobody sees the ends. Yes, I am now maintaining and it feels strangely like all progress has stopped because I'm not gaining length any more,,, which I am so used to measuring. And my virgin hair has to be so much stronger and healthier than the old, dyed, fragile ends.... I'm just sad that it wouldn't surprise me if it took another three, four, five years to get the hair I want, and - it's discouraging. And if I want ankle length, possibly longer again.

Yeah, first world problems.... :p

Jo Ann
March 6th, 2018, 08:28 PM

It's one of Beautyklove's videos, Sarah: How To Get Thick Hair Fast? The TRUTH & TIPS-GROWING RECEDING HAIR LINE-Beautyklove

Sarah, my hair does the same thing. I'm persevering because I can see the thickness growing down, slowly but surely. If I may, implement the two-week rule before you take any further steps! You have made so much progress since you came on here!

Whatever you ultimately decide, I'm in your corner! :flower:

Sarahlabyrinth
March 6th, 2018, 08:34 PM
It's one of Beautyklove's videos, Sarah: How To Get Thick Hair Fast? The TRUTH & TIPS-GROWING RECEDING HAIR LINE-Beautyklove

Sarah, my hair does the same thing. I'm persevering because I can see the thickness growing down, slowly but surely. If I may, implement the two-week rule before you take any further steps! You have made so much progress since you came on here!

Whatever you ultimately decide, I'm in your corner! :flower:

Thank you :) I will look for it.

I may need to implement the two year rule :p

Actually, what I should do is do nothing drastic to it until the end of 2020, then see what it might need. Hopefully it will be something like what I want it to be by then :)

Jo Ann
March 6th, 2018, 08:45 PM
That's my girl, Sarah! Patience and baby steps! :cheer:

Who wants some :cheese: ?

Quasiquixotic
March 6th, 2018, 08:46 PM
So I can see a big difference between the two thickness photos several posts back. And your hair IS beautiful.

I think you should do what makes you happy. Do you take more pleasure from big intricate buns or loving your hair when you see it down?

I am probably biased, because I did just cut back. But I’m happier with my hair at waist. Yes I miss big buns. But I’ve discovered ways to make big buns at this length. And I feel better (more professional - I’m not trying to start a judgment war here, it’s just how I feel) about wearing my hair down in the office.

Growing hair takes patience and acceptance, you probably know that better than I do, but I think you also need to love the journey. It’s hard to overstate how motivating loving how you look while on the journey is for helping you stay on the journey. The reverse is also true.

Just because you cut back for a thicker hemline, doesn’t mean it can’t grow longer from there. And maybe you love it more. I also think regretting a haircut can be super helpful. I had a pixie in 2013. I had serious and near instant regret. Very rarely I think about pixie and I always remember that regret and no longer want one.

Say you cut back and hate it. You will continue your growing journey with the added knowledge that if you come to this choice again, you don’t cut. Not necessarily that your ends would be thin again, more that I think growing and wanting to cut back is a cyclical thing. You do something for 5-10-15 years, it’s natural to think the grass is greener. That is when big regrets are helpful, in my personal experience.

I honostly think you don’t have a wrong choice here, no matter what you do, you have beautiful hair. You can’t fight it, your hair is just going to be pretty.

lucid
March 6th, 2018, 08:46 PM
You have gorgeous hair, and I love your natural color as well! I saw your last pic, and the thickness is definitely travelling down - no doubt about it, looks like it's down to hip already! I would not cut unless there's actual damage. It seems like you would really miss the length.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 6th, 2018, 09:29 PM
So I can see a big difference between the two thickness photos several posts back. And your hair IS beautiful.

I think you should do what makes you happy. Do you take more pleasure from big intricate buns or loving your hair when you see it down?

I am probably biased, because I did just cut back. But I’m happier with my hair at waist. Yes I miss big buns. But I’ve discovered ways to make big buns at this length. And I feel better (more professional - I’m not trying to start a judgment war here, it’s just how I feel) about wearing my hair down in the office.

Growing hair takes patience and acceptance, you probably know that better than I do, but I think you also need to love the journey. It’s hard to overstate how motivating loving how you look while on the journey is for helping you stay on the journey. The reverse is also true.

Just because you cut back for a thicker hemline, doesn’t mean it can’t grow longer from there. And maybe you love it more. I also think regretting a haircut can be super helpful. I had a pixie in 2013. I had serious and near instant regret. Very rarely I think about pixie and I always remember that regret and no longer want one.

Say you cut back and hate it. You will continue your growing journey with the added knowledge that if you come to this choice again, you don’t cut. Not necessarily that your ends would be thin again, more that I think growing and wanting to cut back is a cyclical thing. You do something for 5-10-15 years, it’s natural to think the grass is greener. That is when big regrets are helpful, in my personal experience.

I honostly think you don’t have a wrong choice here, no matter what you do, you have beautiful hair. You can’t fight it, your hair is just going to be pretty.

Quasi, I didn't realise you had cut back. May I ask why? I know that every time I have cut my hair shorter during my life I have always regretted doing so, so I am reluctant to feel that way again, as if the last six years of growing had been a waste of time. I do love being able to do semi-big buns at present, and think I would miss the ability to do that if I was to cut shorter, particularly since my hair is normally bunned anyway.

You have gorgeous hair, and I love your natural color as well! I saw your last pic, and the thickness is definitely travelling down - no doubt about it, looks like it's down to hip already! I would not cut unless there's actual damage. It seems like you would really miss the length.

There is no damage, unless possibly some extra fragility from dye, but there are no split ends or anything like that. I think I would miss the length. The thought of even cutting a couple of inches off makes me shudder. Irrational, I know....

Chromis
March 6th, 2018, 09:32 PM
Something to bear in mid: the colour you are wearing has a big impact on how thick hair will appear yes, but I want to point out the your dark clothing picture is also in natural sunlight and slightly different angle. Indoor shots almost never look as nice for my hair I know and esp mirror shots. Sooooo, you might be a little harsh on yourself unwittingly!

I kept my hair at knee for a good eight years and the ends really did thicken back up a lot. Now I am at midcalf nearly because I haven't been feeling the need to trim off those last three annoying strands that make braiding tedious!

(I gotta say, I would never advocate loose hair in an office. Even at BSL I wore it up! Probably has something to do with place though.)

Beckstar
March 6th, 2018, 09:34 PM
Don't cut your beautiful hair! Angels will cry.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 6th, 2018, 09:40 PM
Something to bear in mid: the colour you are wearing has a big impact on how thick hair will appear yes, but I want to point out the your dark clothing picture is also in natural sunlight and slightly different angle. Indoor shots almost never look as nice for my hair I know and esp mirror shots. Sooooo, you might be a little harsh on yourself unwittingly!

I kept my hair at knee for a good eight years and the ends really did thicken back up a lot. Now I am at midcalf nearly because I haven't been feeling the need to trim off those last three annoying strands that make braiding tedious!

(I gotta say, I would never advocate loose hair in an office. Even at BSL I wore it up! Probably has something to do with place though.)

Chromis, you do have a point. I do much prefer outside hair photos too. From your experience then, micro trimming did wonders. I must say you are all being very supportive and encouraging! :)

Sarahlabyrinth
March 6th, 2018, 09:40 PM
Don't cut your beautiful hair! Angels will cry.

Aww, thanks, Beckstar :flower:

AutobotsAttack
March 7th, 2018, 02:59 AM
:grouphug:

Don’t feel bad Sarah. You’ll get your thickness back.

If it makes you feel any better, my hair gets very very fine towards the bottom, so I understand your hair not being where you’d want it to be. Light clothes don’t help at all for me either.

I still think your hair looks very pretty. I love the color and how soft it looks as well.

I’d say just keep bunning and microtrimming until your thickness comes back, and if you wish to wear it down maybe do a braid or two at night and have some braid waves the next day. It’ll just look like very pretty fairy tale ends.

Milady_DeWinter
March 7th, 2018, 03:35 AM
Don't cut it! I agree on microtrimmimg. Butto looseallthat lenght... I'm sure you'll regret that. Your hair is a true beauty as is, just maintain :)

Sometimes I feel the same about mine, I really hate my layers now and want to cut to have an even and blunt hemline for well. Along with all the dye damaged hair. But that'd leave me at BSL again, and I won't do that! By now I want to grow longer, until BCL or TBL, and then maintain for a while to get rid of layers and damage. And then, I'll be ready for classic!

I like your hair in both pics, and all of your buns are awesome:)

Suze
March 7th, 2018, 04:08 AM
The two week rule doesn't even apply here, it should be a 2 month rule at least because chopping to waist woukd set you back a lót! And you put a lot of effort and care in growing it this long and healthy.

And there is a difference between lighter colours and just plain bright white. And different types of lighting, the angle from which a picture is take and probably a lot of other factors too.

I would just stick with microtrimming and focus on pretty updo's. Clearly your good at those.

Can I ask though? Can you still comfortably wear it down at that length? I can not even imagine hair that long.

Kake
March 7th, 2018, 04:53 AM
Good point Suze. If you mostly wear it up then how it looks when you bun is the most important consideration.

I'm only at APL, so have no idea really, but if it was me I would probably cut. I think that's more of a personality thing though, your hair length demonstrates that you have much more patience than me. And to be clear, I only say that because you are unhappy with it, not because I think it needs cut. But as I say, I'm only APL, so what would I know?

browneyedsusan
March 7th, 2018, 06:57 AM
I'd make a plan, set a timeline to think about it, and execute. Your plan won't be perfect, but take your best guess at what will make you happy, make a decision, and don't look back. -- No "I wish I would have..." business! -- Just make the best decision you can, with the information you have, and go with it.

That said, I'm totally struggling with my hair, too. I like to wear it down sometimes, and the ends are super thin. I might trim a few inches, knowing that it'll grow back by mid-summer. No one will notice the lost length but me. How much will it bother me? I think I can handle it. I think? I need to get out of my own head! lol! :)

T0n1c
March 7th, 2018, 10:31 AM
My opinion is don't go for a major chop! First, use the 2-week rule (or is it 2 days?, either way, think on it a bit first!) and wait to see if you feel the same after some time passes. Don't let one "bad brain day" (what I call days when I'm in a funk) cause any rash decisions. That's how I went from BSL to a buzzcut a few years ago! :shocked:

If you still want to cut after some time has passed, just do an inch at a time. Cut an inch, wait at least a day or 2, then cut another if you really want to. I honestly wouldn't go any shorter than classic or TBL at most. Better not to cut, than to cut and regret!

Personally, I think your hair is gorgeous! I just saw your latest pic in the 'show me your buns' thread and literally said "Holy S*&@!" out loud! I love your color, and you get some of the greatest braid waves I've seen. That said, I totally understand why it being thin would bother you. Mine isn't as thick as I would like either, but I have decided no cuts beyond S&D and microtrims. I will keep treating it well, and it will keep growing. Some of us just have slow hair, lol :shrug:

Beeboo123
March 7th, 2018, 10:40 AM
Oh no Sarah please don’t be sad. Your hair is lovely, you look like a fairytale princess. It’s the color that makes it look thinner than it is. Your natural color is growing out, and you’ve been microtrimming. It will take time, but slowly, surely, the thickness will travel down. Regardless, your hair is beautiful as it is

MusicalSpoons
March 7th, 2018, 10:55 AM
I'm also piling on to the heaps of people who adore your hair, Sarahlabyrinth!

From a couple of pages ago you mention waiting until the end of 2020 and then reevaluate. I think that's an excellent idea, because in a way that's another goal in itself. If you still get frustrated by then, well the achievement will have been putting up with it for that long! And by then the thickness should be reallg a good way down, so if you do decide to trim an inch or two or several, you won't lose too juch length whatever you decide.

I do understand worrying what hair looks like down, especially as I wear mine down so rarely that I want it to feel like it's worth it. But if you can stand wearing dark colours when you have your hair down - I love the suggestion upthread of a shawl or jacket or something! - honestly your hair looks stunning. And I have to confess that before when you mentioned having thin ends in other threads, I really didn't believe you until I saw the picture you posted wearing a white top. (To clarify: I believed you thought your ends were thin, but I truly didn't see how they could be.)

Obviously if you decide before then that you just can't stand it, we'll support whatever you decide - it is your hair after all! :flower:

Rowdy
March 7th, 2018, 12:29 PM
YES to everything you have said. I do nearly always wear it up for protection, so nobody sees the ends. Yes, I am now maintaining and it feels strangely like all progress has stopped because I'm not gaining length any more,,, which I am so used to measuring. And my virgin hair has to be so much stronger and healthier than the old, dyed, fragile ends.... I'm just sad that it wouldn't surprise me if it took another three, four, five years to get the hair I want, and - it's discouraging. And if I want ankle length, possibly longer again.

Yeah, first world problems.... :p

Maintaining and microtrimming can be a bit of a metal adjustment if you are used to only measuring progress by the very ends of your hair. But progress can be found all along the length of your hair during the journey and your hair will always be changing year to year. So please don't feel that the last however many years have been wasted. Your hair has been beautiful in every picture I have seen of it, including the one at the start of the post your hair pics here thread :)

It may also be that you just don't like staying at the same length so you could yo-yo, as in just cut back and regrow between two milestones for awhile. You seem to have very steady growth so that makes it easier to estimate grow-back time.

I started growing my hair at the same time I started growing out dye so I have always had 2 different measuring sticks. Though my natural hair demarcation line has always felt like the one with more progress to me. Looking back I tended to grow at half speed, keeping 3" and cutting 3" a year. This last year I have maintained (mostly... an extra inch seems to have stuck around) and it feels like I grew a ton because I was trimming out layers. Not exactly the same boat as you, but I still have lot more hair now at the same length as last year which will happen to you as your stronger natural hair continues to grow.

Here is a comparison for you, this is about 11.5 months of maintaining. Sorry about the quality, I'm going to get a better pic at exactly a year but my wash day got pushed back to tomorrow:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30678&d=1520450820

Whatever you decide to do I hope you continue to be happy with your hair :)

longmane
March 7th, 2018, 01:46 PM
Your hair is so pretty! Especially the way it seemlessly transition from your natural hair color to dyed part.

sumidha
March 7th, 2018, 02:02 PM
Ugh I totally understand hating the taper, but the ends will thicken up eventually with maintaining and microtrimming (at least that's what I tell myself when I get discouraged by the way my braid tapers away to nothing by the end). Have you seen Cinnamon Curls blog? She has some really inspiring progress pictures of maintaining at knee while thickening up her ends. Sometimes I look at those when I'm getting discouraged to remind myself that I need to be patient. :)

ETA: Gah I just tried to find her blog and it looks like it's not active any more. >.<

*Wednesday*
March 7th, 2018, 02:09 PM
Your ends are thinner. It's not the end of your long hair or hair. Maintain the length you have and see if it thickens. Put a plan into place and see what works. I would not cut it but a smidgen trim may thicken the hem.

Dendra
March 7th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Rowdy that is amazing progress, you are now my microtrimming out layers and dye-spiration :)

Sarahlabyrinth you seem to have a good solution in microtrimming till 2020 and then re-evaluating. If it makes you panic to think of cutting off a few inches then it's not the right thing to do! Maintenance for a year or two gives you the best of both worlds, you get to stay at knee and keep making big buns whilst your thickness travels down. A large dose of patience is probably what is needed :knit::magic:

Ugh I totally understand hating the taper, but the ends will thicken up eventually with maintaining and microtrimming (at least that's what I tell myself when I get discouraged by the way my braid tapers away to nothing by the end). Have you seen Cinnamon Curls blog? She has some really inspiring progress pictures of maintaining at knee while thickening up her ends. Sometimes I look at those when I'm getting discouraged to remind myself that I need to be patient. :)

ETA: Gah I just tried to find her blog and it looks like it's not active any more. >.<

That's a shame, those photos sound great!

Sarahlabyrinth
March 7th, 2018, 06:27 PM
I did have replies typed out to you all, but got told my message was too long, but I have read and appreciated all your replies, and want to thank you all for your wisdom, encouragement and gentle words, it's all very much appreciated! :D :flowers:

Groovy Granny
March 7th, 2018, 09:56 PM
I already do these things :D We have to do what we gotta do to enhance what we have the best way we can. I want to enjoy it, and mostly I do. But sometimes I get down about it.

That was why I mentioned it ~ to encourage you to continue :shrug:

You're welcome!

Crystawni
March 8th, 2018, 12:31 AM
psst, SL, your hair is lightening anyway. One day it may even be fully white. Good luck getting that to show well when wearing light clothes. :p

Yeah, you know I'm speaking from experience. I have deliberate layers that leave my underlying whites as a border, and that white hemline can absolutely disappear depending on what I wear (which can then look really ragged with the differing lengths of darker hairs that show). I've actually been trimming out some of those layers since 2015 to balance things a bit as my colour morphs, but in the long run, have to accept invisihair. Oh, and before I started trimming the layers, I'd actually cut 9cm off for bulk and shape purposes after the ponytail layer method thinned and lightened (weight) my hair too much for my liking. It took me a few months to decide on that chop, but am very glad I did as I wanted to enjoy the journey, not be a slave to it. So, I do advocate trimming to get rid of frustration, but also microtrimming to reshape and grow. It's always a balancing act, with a good dose of patience (of which you have oodles of!).

Sarahlabyrinth
March 8th, 2018, 12:44 AM
psst, SL, your hair is lightening anyway. One day it may even be fully white. Good luck getting that to show well when wearing light clothes. :p

Yeah, you know I'm speaking from experience. I have deliberate layers that leave my underlying whites as a border, and that white hemline can absolutely disappear depending on what I wear (which can then look really ragged with the differing lengths of darker hairs that show). I've actually been trimming out some of those layers since 2015 to balance things a bit as my colour morphs, but in the long run, have to accept invisihair. Oh, and before I started trimming the layers, I'd actually cut 9cm off for bulk and shape purposes after the ponytail layer method thinned and lightened (weight) my hair too much for my liking. It took me a few months to decide on that chop, but am very glad I did as I wanted to enjoy the journey, not be a slave to it. So, I do advocate trimming to get rid of frustration, but also microtrimming to reshape and grow. It's always a balancing act, with a good dose of patience (of which you have oodles of!).

Sheesh, little Miss Cheergerm, you know how to cheer a person up :p I never thought of that. Well, at least I'm on the right track, then, and you certainly are with that glossy lovely mane of yours :) How often do you trim these days?

Crystawni
March 8th, 2018, 12:56 AM
:rolling: Naw, ta! :blossom: I trim around 2cm every 4 months or thereabouts, so tri-annually. Sometimes I go a bit longer, especially now I'm closer to liking how it is. :wethree:

Sarahlabyrinth
March 8th, 2018, 01:21 AM
:rolling: Naw, ta! :blossom: I trim around 2cm every 4 months or thereabouts, so tri-annually. Sometimes I go a bit longer, especially now I'm closer to liking how it is. :wethree:

Well, it's certainly working for you :thudpile:

MidnightMoon
March 8th, 2018, 01:25 AM
Only you know the real feel and thickness of your hair. I can't tell if the first picture is "too unflattering" or the contrary, the second one is "too flattering", so it's hard to decide that way.
I think cutting it to waist is too drastic. I bet you'll miss the length, the updos you can do right now and that feeling of having long hair. I would, however, consider cutting it to around tailbone. I guess it's not the popular opinion or choice, but seems to be the middle ground. I think at this length you'd get a soft transitioning effect, so it wouldn't look like your hair dramatically loses thickness, you'd still have hair long enough for most updos you can do now, and you can continue with microtrimming and actually see results quite soon, instead of microtrimming for like 2 years and perhaps be frustrated because your ends will still "feel thin" until the bulk travels down entirely.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 8th, 2018, 01:36 AM
Only you know the real feel and thickness of your hair. I can't tell if the first picture is "too unflattering" or the contrary, the second one is "too flattering", so it's hard to decide that way.
I think cutting it to waist is too drastic. I bet you'll miss the length, the updos you can do right now and that feeling of having long hair. I would, however, consider cutting it to around tailbone. I guess it's not the popular opinion or choice, but seems to be the middle ground. I think at this length you'd get a soft transitioning effect, so it wouldn't look like your hair dramatically loses thickness, you'd still have hair long enough for most updos you can do now, and you can continue with microtrimming and actually see results quite soon, instead of microtrimming for like 2 years and perhaps be frustrated because your ends will still "feel thin" until the bulk travels down entirely.

Thank you for your thoughts. MidnightMoon, but after considering the pros and cons I have decided to continue micro trimming, and see where that takes me. I agree that any major cuts would be too much, and I think I would miss the length that I have waited years to get :)

MidnightMoon
March 8th, 2018, 01:45 AM
Thank you for your thoughts. MidnightMoon, but after considering the pros and cons I have decided to continue micro trimming, and see where that takes me. I agree that any major cuts would be too much, and I think I would miss the length that I have waited years to get :)

Well, that's much better than cutting it :p
I hope your hair grows quick, and you feel better about it.
I'm also growing out dye, damaged "ends", which are much thinner and harder to work with... so I understand the frustration. I can't imagine cutting it all either, so I'm stuck with trimming, about 3-4 cm every few months :/

Sarahlabyrinth
March 8th, 2018, 01:50 AM
Well, that's much better than cutting it :p
I hope your hair grows quick, and you feel better about it.
I'm also growing out dye, damaged "ends", which are much thinner and harder to work with... so I understand the frustration. I can't imagine cutting it all either, so I'm stuck with trimming, about 3-4 cm every few months :/

Yes, it can get pretty frustrating, but small steps forward add up to better looking hair eventually. (That's my story, and I'm sticking to it :p) Wishing you quick growth too!

alimc
March 8th, 2018, 02:01 AM
I have to say Sarahlabyrinth, i always get excited when i see you name pop up on the thread list... your hair is GORGEOUS. And we can all see the patience and persistence you’ve put into growing all this time :o

Photos don’t always show what is really there, they can be deceiving. Also, think about how your hair at that length FEELS? Would you not miss the feeling of it falling down to your knees?

Im backing the microtrimming vote! Please don’t do a huge chop, you may regret it.

And we would all be sad... :boohoo:

(However it is your hair, so whatever makes you happy)

Sarahlabyrinth
March 8th, 2018, 02:11 AM
I have to say Sarahlabyrinth, i always get excited when i see you name pop up on the thread list... your hair is GORGEOUS. And we can all see the patience and persistence you’ve put into growing all this time :o

Photos don’t always show what is really there, they can be deceiving. Also, think about how your hair at that length FEELS? Would you not miss the feeling of it falling down to your knees?

Im backing the microtrimming vote! Please don’t do a huge chop, you may regret it.

And we would all be sad... :boohoo:

(However it is your hair, so whatever makes you happy)

Thank you very much for your lovely compliments. Just about everyone on this thread doesn't want me to cut my hair, and upon reflection I decided I would miss the length too much if I did, so knee length is where it stays :)

Haha! LHCers won't let me cut my hair :p

Laura1986
March 8th, 2018, 03:10 AM
Well, it seems that you already made a decision, so all I just want to say is that I adore the colour of your hair and its complementing waves. Looks so awesome :D

Stray_mind
March 8th, 2018, 04:39 AM
Your hair looks absolutely amazing in buns and braids... Don't get discouraged... Slowly microtrim and the thickness will travel down :blossom:

embee
March 8th, 2018, 05:05 AM
Hey you, with the lovely hair! :)

Personally, I think you'd become very dissatisfied if you chopped. Sure, fun to have hair loose for a few days, but then trying to rework all the buns and braids with all the short blunt ends... not fun. I did some of that once, and it was a disaster, leaving me with only a single braid down the back for an "updo". :(

Took a long time to recover, also. Most annoying.

I'm kind of like EdG: the hair is ok to nearly waist, and then I have racer hairs that might get to mid-thigh. Sure, I wish all the hairs were like that, but they're not.

There are lots of things I wish, but my reality is different. Oh well. :)

Sarahlabyrinth
March 8th, 2018, 12:21 PM
Well, it seems that you already made a decision, so all I just want to say is that I adore the colour of your hair and its complementing waves. Looks so awesome :D

Your hair looks absolutely amazing in buns and braids... Don't get discouraged... Slowly microtrim and the thickness will travel down :blossom:

Hey you, with the lovely hair! :)

Personally, I think you'd become very dissatisfied if you chopped. Sure, fun to have hair loose for a few days, but then trying to rework all the buns and braids with all the short blunt ends... not fun. I did some of that once, and it was a disaster, leaving me with only a single braid down the back for an "updo". :(

Took a long time to recover, also. Most annoying.

I'm kind of like EdG: the hair is ok to nearly waist, and then I have racer hairs that might get to mid-thigh. Sure, I wish all the hairs were like that, but they're not.

There are lots of things I wish, but my reality is different. Oh well. :)

Thank you for your lovely encouragement, I have decided to leave my hair as it is and continue micro trimming for the foreseeable future. Hoping it will improve with time, and yes, that stuff called Patience :)

shaluwm_agape
March 8th, 2018, 12:37 PM
honestly your hair is absolutely beautiful. It looks great both ways. Two different looks that look great

Sarahlabyrinth
March 8th, 2018, 03:01 PM
honestly your hair is absolutely beautiful. It looks great both ways. Two different looks that look great

Thank you ! :)

AutobotsAttack
March 8th, 2018, 03:11 PM
I posted this in another thread, but I think it’ll provide some positive stuff too.

https://i.imgflip.com/25z1io.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/25z1io)via Imgflip Meme Generator (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)

I took this Tuesday? As you can see, my thickness is definitely trying to elude me.

Once I hit classic, I’ll start to microtrimming and maintain there for a while.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 8th, 2018, 03:18 PM
I posted this in another thread, but I think it’ll provide some positive stuff too.

https://i.imgflip.com/25z1io.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/25z1io)via Imgflip Meme Generator (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)

I took this Tuesday? As you can see, my thickness is definitely trying to elude me.

Once I hit classic, I’ll start to microtrimming and maintain there for a while.

Thank you, Autobots! It helps to know it's not just me in the boat. Wishing you quick healthy growth and the hair you want. It doesn't happen overnight :)

AutobotsAttack
March 8th, 2018, 03:47 PM
Thank you, Autobots! It helps to know it's not just me in the boat. Wishing you quick healthy growth and the hair you want. It doesn't happen overnight :)

Oh yeah definitely. More patience is needed on my end though lol.

And I figured it’ll help a bit to actually physically see, others are right here with you.

It’s something about fine hair though. It’s beyond delicate. Most of the thinning up the middle for me happens completely on accident. I tend to part my hair for pretty much everything. Moisturizing, and detangling too. Those hairs in the back, I can’t see, and sometimes I’ll hit a snag accidentally. However over time it starts to show.

Now I just detangle in the shower without parting, and add leave ins without parting.

When my hair was shorter it could stand up to more mechanical stress. At this length now, I’m learning how little of mechanical stress my hair can take as it gets longer. Which is hardly any.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 8th, 2018, 03:50 PM
Oh yeah definitely. More patience is needed on my end though lol.

And I figured it’ll help a bit to actually physically see, others are right here with you.

It’s something about fine hair though. It’s beyond delicate. Most of the thinning up the middle for me happens completely on accident. I tend to part my hair for pretty much everything. Moisturizing, and detangling too. Those hairs in the back, I can’t see, and sometimes I’ll hit a snag accidentally. However over time it starts to show.

Now I just detangle in the shower without parting, and add leave ins without parting.

When my hair was shorter it could stand up to more mechanical stress. At this length now, I’m learning how little of mechanical stress my hair can take as it gets longer. Which is hardly any.

That certainly can be a problem with fine hair, sadly. I'm just babying mine along as best as I can. Having dye on it doesn't help.

AutobotsAttack
March 8th, 2018, 03:59 PM
That certainly can be a problem with fine hair, sadly. I'm just babying mine along as best as I can. Having dye on it doesn't help.

Is it just like a rinse type of dye? Or semi?

Sarahlabyrinth
March 8th, 2018, 04:11 PM
Is it just like a rinse type of dye? Or semi?

Permanent. It's all you can buy here. :(

browneyedsusan
March 8th, 2018, 04:24 PM
Thank you for your lovely encouragement, I have decided to leave my hair as it is and continue micro trimming for the foreseeable future. Hoping it will improve with time, and yes, that stuff called Patience :)

I've totally used that product! It works great, but I tend to forget about it! :rolling:
https://youtu.be/x-ciMuVhDXA

Sarahlabyrinth
March 8th, 2018, 04:31 PM
I've totally used that product! It works great, but I tend to forget about it! :rolling:

Haha, yes, it never fails, does it! LOL!

AutobotsAttack
March 8th, 2018, 04:38 PM
Permanent. It's all you can buy here. :(

Ahhh I see. Well of course there’s no rush. Whenever YOU feel like you wish to go dye free then it’ll happen. And if not, your hair will continue to bounce back either way.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 8th, 2018, 04:51 PM
Ahhh I see. Well of course there’s no rush. Whenever YOU feel like you wish to go dye free then it’ll happen. And if not, your hair will continue to bounce back either way.

I am growing out the dye, it's almost two years since I last used it, and no regrets here! I just wish I had begun earlier :)

AutobotsAttack
March 8th, 2018, 06:31 PM
I am growing out the dye, it's almost two years since I last used it, and no regrets here! I just wish I had begun earlier :)

Better late than never lol
:hifive:

Sarahlabyrinth
March 8th, 2018, 08:34 PM
Better late than never lol
:hifive:

That's for sure :laugh:

Glitch
March 9th, 2018, 04:50 AM
I think you can PM me with them if you like, or put them on here, yes. I would very much like to see them.

Alrightey :D I'm not comfortable with having my face "out there" lol so I posted at: https://glitch-lhc.tumblr.com/

The password is: trims

MusicalSpoons
March 9th, 2018, 05:55 AM
Wow Glitch, what a huge difference! That's amazing, well done for your perseverance!

Dendra
March 9th, 2018, 06:26 AM
Alrightey :D I'm not comfortable with having my face "out there" lol so I posted at: https://glitch-lhc.tumblr.com/

Thank you so much for this, it's really inspiring! Your hair is transformed by the third photo :)

Sarahlabyrinth
March 9th, 2018, 12:28 PM
Wow, what a difference, Glitch! It's like you have totally different hair! Thank you so much for sharing this, what an encouragement this is :flowers:

Glitch
March 9th, 2018, 03:28 PM
Wow Glitch, what a huge difference! That's amazing, well done for your perseverance!

Thank you so much for this, it's really inspiring! Your hair is transformed by the third photo :)

Wow, what a difference, Glitch! It's like you have totally different hair! Thank you so much for sharing this, what an encouragement this is :flowers:

:o Aww, thanks everybody! As annoying as it can be, time and patience are really key!

spurple
March 9th, 2018, 04:39 PM

AHAHAHA!! I LOVED that video! Thanks for sharing. :D

spurple
March 9th, 2018, 04:43 PM

Well, you've certainly sold me on micotrims! Growing out a pixie, so when I can SEE the ends at the back of my head, I'll be keeping an eye on them and for sure microtrimming those layers!

spurple
March 9th, 2018, 04:45 PM
My 25th POST!! WOOT! I better make tomorrow my wash day so I can get a picture taken and the help of all you lovely ladies as I try to type my hair! :D WOOT WOOT!

Salwety
March 9th, 2018, 09:54 PM
I think you are experiencing the post goal achievement boredom ( I reserve copy rights to this expression :D ). You reached knee length a couple of months ago. Now you are in the " So what next?!" phase. This is when one strats to reuse dyes, bleach or heat styling, or make a big chop to waist , should, or even a bob length.
Through the past years we have seen that happen over and over. Now you are experiencing it. For years your goal was length and thickness. Now after achieving length, you are solely focused on thickness. And I understand why you want to cut till hip or waist. But my advice will be some of your shared wisdom with us ( me included)
- trim a little at a time , may be an inch or two every month. That way the thickness will be travelling downwards and you haven't lost a lot of the length. And at any point you decide that length is still a priority, you haven't lost a lot length wise.
- try new hair styles
- catch up on an old hobby, or jump in a new one.
- buy or make new hair toys
- try new products or diy hair recipes

And of course I will join others to say that your hair is glorious.

Glitch
March 9th, 2018, 10:24 PM
Well, you've certainly sold me on micotrims! Growing out a pixie, so when I can SEE the ends at the back of my head, I'll be keeping an eye on them and for sure microtrimming those layers!

Yay!! It made a massive difference for me :D My hair is waist length right now and still just as thick as the top, which has never happened before. Sometimes I cut off half an inch or a bit more if it means a blunt, clean hemline. Best of luck to you, and since you're starting at pixie, I'm sure your hair will have a head start in thickness :heartbeat

Calaelen
March 9th, 2018, 10:36 PM
The difference in the pictures is quite surprising. I agree with all the posts that are telling you to stick with micro-trimming for now.
I have been feeling bad about my taper too and considering trimming to tailbone to have nice thick ends, so I decided to come here to look at fairytale ends to see if I could encourage myself to leave it for now (at least until the next beneficial date for cutting according to the lunar calendar.) I was getting pretty antsy and giving myself a few days before I make the chop. I am now leaning towards waiting until the lunar date for this month, and then starting to micro trim on that date, rather than cut the 7 ish inches I was thinking of.

Whenever I see your pictures I am always thinking how beautiful and ethereal your hair looks. I am now wanting to go put on some black and get a picture in sunlight..lol.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 9th, 2018, 10:43 PM
The difference in the pictures is quite surprising. I agree with all the posts that are telling you to stick with micro-trimming for now.
I have been feeling bad about my taper too and considering trimming to tailbone to have nice thick ends, so I decided to come here to look at fairytale ends to see if I could encourage myself to leave it for now (at least until the next beneficial date for cutting according to the lunar calendar.) I was getting pretty antsy and giving myself a few days before I make the chop. I am now leaning towards waiting until the lunar date for this month, and then starting to micro trim on that date, rather than cut the 7 ish inches I was thinking of.

Whenever I see your pictures I am always thinking how beautiful and ethereal your hair looks. I am now wanting to go but on some black and get a picture in sunlight..lol.

You should! I would LOVE to see your hair! And thank you :flower:

Calaelen
March 9th, 2018, 11:06 PM
I will try to post some pictures in here soon! I will definitely be sure to get some good before pics so I can compare my progress.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 9th, 2018, 11:23 PM
I will try to post some pictures in here soon! I will definitely be sure to get some good before pics so I can compare my progress.

Good idea! :)

Sarahlabyrinth
March 9th, 2018, 11:26 PM
I think you are experiencing the post goal achievement boredom ( I reserve copy rights to this expression :D ). You reached knee length a couple of months ago. Now you are in the " So what next?!" phase. This is when one strats to reuse dyes, bleach or heat styling, or make a big chop to waist , should, or even a bob length.
Through the past years we have seen that happen over and over. Now you are experiencing it. For years your goal was length and thickness. Now after achieving length, you are solely focused on thickness. And I understand why you want to cut till hip or waist. But my advice will be some of your shared wisdom with us ( me included)
- trim a little at a time , may be an inch or two every month. That way the thickness will be travelling downwards and you haven't lost a lot of the length. And at any point you decide that length is still a priority, you haven't lost a lot length wise.
- try new hair styles
- catch up on an old hobby, or jump in a new one.
- buy or make new hair toys
- try new products or diy hair recipes

And of course I will join others to say that your hair is glorious.

You are probably quite right! And I should take my own advice! :p I will keep on micro trimming. It has felt like a bit of an anti-climax, reaching knee, it's like "Oh, now what?" And trimming doesn't feel like progress in the same way that seeing increasing length does.

LadyLongLocks
March 10th, 2018, 12:17 AM
I can relate to your hair issues as I have had them during my journey. In 2010 I had a inverse v and it took me a long time to trim and get the hemline better. Thinning ends are a ongoing issue. I am now planning on another 14+ inches to trim.I did several trims that equaled 14" I believe your virgin hair will reach long thicker lengths! It looks like it is coming in so thick. I think your hair is still beautiful and I look forward to seeing your progress. Just wear your hair up and try not to think about it too much. focus on buns and new hairstyles to wear your hair up. How fast does your hair grow? I love that your hair is one length with no bangs or layers. Even small trims will make your ends look thicker. Maybe measure your virgin hair growth and keep track. I have never grown out dye, but I have grown out bangs starting in 2005. I know you will reach your goals in time.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 10th, 2018, 12:57 AM
I can relate to your hair issues as I have had them during my journey. In 2010 I had a inverse v and it took me a long time to trim and get the hemline better. Thinning ends are a ongoing issue. I am now planning on another 14+ inches to trim.I did several trims that equaled 14" I believe your virgin hair will reach long thicker lengths! It looks like it is coming in so thick. I think your hair is still beautiful and I look forward to seeing your progress. Just wear your hair up and try not to think about it too much. focus on buns and new hairstyles to wear your hair up. How fast does your hair grow? I love that your hair is one length with no bangs or layers. Even small trims will make your ends look thicker. Maybe measure your virgin hair growth and keep track. I have never grown out dye, but I have grown out bangs starting in 2005. I know you will reach your goals in time.

Thank you so much - I will take your advice, as it does look good in updos. Last year I got 7.25" growth, so not a bad growing rate. I think that measuring my virgin hair growth rate might be frustrating, as I would always be stressing over how far it still had to grow. As for the keeping it up and learning new styles, I can do that. (Plus buy more hair toys than are good for me, lol). I'm sure that with enough patience and time I will get there. Thanks for your encouragement! :flowers:

I got this screenshot today which helped me feel better too.

https://i.imgur.com/vES6ryB.png

LadyLongLocks
March 10th, 2018, 09:23 AM
Thank you so much - I will take your advice, as it does look good in updos. Last year I got 7.25" growth, so not a bad growing rate. I think that measuring my virgin hair growth rate might be frustrating, as I would always be stressing over how far it still had to grow. As for the keeping it up and learning new styles, I can do that. (Plus buy more hair toys than are good for me, lol). I'm sure that with enough patience and time I will get there. Thanks for your encouragement! :flowers:

I got this screenshot today which helped me feel better too.

https://i.imgur.com/vES6ryB.png
The one time I measured a years growth I also got 7.25" which was more than I thought! So your hair has a good growing speed :)
I love your YouTube Channel!
When I was having some thinning issues I went to a George Michael salon for the 1 hour treatment. I got a 3" trim and they really improved the hemline and almost erased the inverse v I had.
I have a before and after photo someplace.

MidnightMoon
March 10th, 2018, 01:28 PM
Sarahlabyrinth I just checked your YT. Didn't know you posted videos. I must say, out of the two pictures you posted, it seems/I can tell now the first one is /very/ unflattering, and would think the second one is closer to reality. In your videos your ends don't look so thin at all... had I seen those before, I wouldn't have suggested trimming.
Sure, we have fine hair, but other than that I don't see anything wrong with it. As I've said before, I really like the colour, and your updos look great.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 10th, 2018, 02:15 PM
Sarahlabyrinth I just checked your YT. Didn't know you posted videos. I must say, out of the two pictures you posted, it seems/I can tell now the first one is /very/ unflattering, and would think the second one is closer to reality. In your videos your ends don't look so thin at all... had I seen those before, I wouldn't have suggested trimming.
Sure, we have fine hair, but other than that I don't see anything wrong with it. As I've said before, I really like the colour, and your updos look great.

Thank you very much! I guess with having fine hair we get what we get, and probably need to baby it more than if we had another hair type. Well, I'll just keep on with it....

LadyLongLocks
March 10th, 2018, 02:50 PM
Work with the lighting! Outdoor photos work better for my hair too...the hair seems to absorb the light where indoor flash makes hair the hair more transparent.
Dark colors always work better for me too. Its often hard to really capture a true to life hair photo at times. Focus on your BEST photos :)

Sarahlabyrinth
March 10th, 2018, 03:55 PM
Work with the lighting! Outdoor photos work better for my hair too...the hair seems to absorb the light where indoor flash makes hair the hair more transparent.
Dark colors always work better for me too. Its often hard to really capture a true to life hair photo at times. Focus on your BEST photos :)

Yes - I should do that! :D

Glitch
March 10th, 2018, 08:12 PM
Sarahlabyrinth I just checked your YT ... In your videos your ends don't look so thin at all ...

I watched some of your videos as well, and your hair looks super pretty! It reminds me of flowy Disney princess hair, I was fascinated. I wouldn't be down about it while you work on it some more, it already looks so nice :D I think sometimes we're often harder on ourselves than we realize.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 10th, 2018, 08:19 PM
I watched some of your videos as well, and your hair looks super pretty! It reminds me of flowy Disney princess hair, I was fascinated. I wouldn't be down about it while you work on it some more, it already looks so nice :D I think sometimes we're often harder on ourselves than we realize.

This is probably true, Glitch! :D Thank you!

yahirwaO.o
March 10th, 2018, 11:46 PM

This is such a perfect recommendation when taking pictures for fine hair.

Sarah don´t feel about your hair, it is beautiful and optical illusions shouldn´t stop in your way.

I know the feeling and sincerely try to focus on the positive aspects. For instance i know i have some bit scalp showing because of having open wounds that simply damaged some follicles.
I once had hair all the way to classic before these incident and my ends were pretty bad and transparent.

At the time I didn't know that bad flash and white tops were the worst enemies of me when in my idealistic mind and in reality had nice long hair. Someone took pictures of a night out from my back and I remember feeling extremely depressed and anxious in tears because my hair was looking stringy and transparent. Frustration was doubled and being a guy I shouldn´t pay attention to this or talk to someone about it.

Now im in the stage where I simply enjoy my hair the best I can. Im no sure if I ever have longer than waist again, but at least I know my little and fairly healthy tricks to feel confident and not letting bad camera angles or lights put me down of scalp cleave or thin ends. I embrace it as good as I can and apply those trick that LadyLongLocks have just point out!

So please whatever you decide I will support you and besides you are an idol to me as well. I always feel good as soon as I read replies from you or watch some of your videos.
A huge internet hug to you!!! :puppykisses:

Sarahlabyrinth
March 11th, 2018, 12:13 AM
This is such a perfect recommendation when taking pictures when having fine hair.

Sarah don´t feel about your hair, it is beautiful and optical illusions shouldn´t stop in your way.

I know the feeling and sincerely try to focus on the positive aspects. For instance i know i have some bit scalp showing because of having open wounds that simply damaged some follicles.
I once had hair all the way to classic before these incident and my ends were pretty bad and transparent.

At the time I didn't know that bad flash and white tops were the worst enemies of me when in my idealistic mind and in reality had nice long hair. Someone took pictures of a night out from my back and I remember feeling extremely depressed and anxious in tears because my hair was looking stringy and transparent. Frustration was doubled and being a guy I shouldn´t pay attention to this or talk to someone about it.

Now im in the stage where I simply enjoy my hair the best I can. Im no sure if I ever have longer than waist again, but at least I know my little and fairly healthy tricks to feel confident and not letting bad camera angles or lights put me down of scalp cleave or thin ends. I embrace it as good as I can and apply those trick that LadyLongLocks have just point out!

So please whatever you decide I will support you and besides you are an idol to me as well. I always feel good as soon as I read replies from you or watch some of your videos.
A huge internet hug to you!!! :puppykisses:

Thank you so much for your kind words, YahiwaO.o :) That is very good advice and I will do what you say :) I hope your hair is growing beautifully for you again!

enting
March 11th, 2018, 08:28 AM
My jaw completely dropped when I saw who posted this thread. Sarahlabyrinth, your hair is a dream.
I see why you like having a darker background for it, though. I agree with keeping up the microtrimming. In the meantime, wear a black superhero cape with all your outfits? :D
More conventionally, there are fashion vests that don't cover much in front but cover a larger area in back that might be more stylish than superhero capes. One of those might serve as a darker backdrop to emphasize your hair while not adding too much warmth to your outfit. I'm thinking something like those circle vests I see around.

Give it a few more months and you may only have to worry about darker pants, not a darker top!

Sarahlabyrinth
March 11th, 2018, 01:38 PM
My jaw completely dropped when I saw who posted this thread. Sarahlabyrinth, your hair is a dream.
I see why you like having a darker background for it, though. I agree with keeping up the microtrimming. In the meantime, wear a black superhero cape with all your outfits? :D
More conventionally, there are fashion vests that don't cover much in front but cover a larger area in back that might be more stylish than superhero capes. One of those might serve as a darker backdrop to emphasize your hair while not adding too much warmth to your outfit. I'm thinking something like those circle vests I see around.

Give it a few more months and you may only have to worry about darker pants, not a darker top!

Yes, another year and I won't have to worry about dark tops, that's true :p Of course if I wear it up all the time I won't need to worry anyway!

LadyLongLocks
March 11th, 2018, 03:23 PM
Get yourself some pretty new hair toys and enjoy your updos and buns. Only look at your hair when drying or micro-trimming.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 11th, 2018, 05:23 PM
Get yourself some pretty new hair toys and enjoy your updos and buns. Only look at your hair when drying or micro-trimming.

That's good advice, thank you :)