PDA

View Full Version : Emotional haircut

unheardletters
March 5th, 2018, 09:59 PM
I know I swore I’d never cut my hair due to sudden desire to do it, but I just did. Emotion got the best of me. At least it is all one length now, more or less, I mean it is a very rough chop for now. I’ll fix it up when I wash it. At least it is only to shoulder length this time, not very short pixie cut.

Glitch
March 6th, 2018, 01:13 AM
:blossom: It'll be alright, you made it pretty far without any big haircuts so I'm sure you can do it again! I used to do that years ago out of stress. I usually couldn't resist cutting off long lengths during bad times (this stuff is common, especially with breakups). I can relate with the sudden desire though, I did that often with cutting my bangs, and then going back to growing them out. It's been at least a year since I stopped, and I know it can be really hard to redirect a strong, sudden urge to do something, but it can be done! Like perhaps the next time you feel this way, you can go wash your hair instead and try out a new and cute hairstyle, or even throw it up in a bun and emerge yourself with a quick hobby :) For me, I realized I like new beginnings when I feel low or uninspired, so I just re-arrange my bedroom furniture etc. and wake up to a fresh change.

lapushka
March 6th, 2018, 05:30 AM
I used to do sudden cuts a lot, esp. in spring, when "new things" were in the air. At one point in my life I cut due to overflowing emotion, but that just happened to me once.

lapushka
March 6th, 2018, 05:55 AM
I used to do sudden cuts a lot, esp. in spring, when "new things" were in the air. At one point in my life I cut due to overflowing emotion, but that just happened to me once.

ipickee
March 6th, 2018, 06:31 AM
From a former emotional cutter :grouphug:
It sucks, but it always grows back.

Caraid♫
March 6th, 2018, 11:37 AM
I know I swore I’d never cut my hair due to sudden desire to do it, but I just did. Emotion got the best of me. At least it is all one length now, more or less, I mean it is a very rough chop for now. I’ll fix it up when I wash it. At least it is only to shoulder length this time, not very short pixie cut.

I did this once, I can commiserate :blossom:
My hair was the length in my sig pic. I somewhat impulsively decided to cut in back to waist, and within the same week I had cut it back to BSL, the further back to shoulder length AND went to a salon to get more chopped off to fix it up because I did a bad job shudder:
I was itching for change but of course nothing really changes in your life other than now having shorter hair (that in my case I no longer liked causing me to regret)

But on the upside, I feel like I've got the big chop out of my system. Now that I know what it feels like and that I know for sure I really don't like my hair shorter, i figure I wont do it again. (that's what they all say though... :p seriously if I ever talk about it here, someone talk me out of it!! though I'm sure someone tried unsuccesfully to talk me out of it the first time because I would have my way!!)
Another upside is starting over with none of the heat damage hair that I had from years and years ago!

Growing with all one starting length is also very nice, and I bet your ends feel thick and fresh!!

I hope everything is ok! (with regards to you saying emotion got the better of you) :flower:

Ophidian
March 6th, 2018, 12:16 PM
Totally been there. Echoing that it does suck but always grows back. And every time you do it you have the opportunity to learn more about yourself and figure out how to channel those emotions in a different way. Not that that is a very helpful thought right now, but in my experience that was the silver lining (and it took a few middle-of-the-night scissor parties to figure that out). Big hugs. :grouphug:

Beeboo123
March 6th, 2018, 12:34 PM
Been there multiple times. Every time I had been past hip, I cut it back to a pixie or a bob. I don’t know why I do it, but my haircuts often coincide with periods of stress and just wanting the hair gone. I would feel light and free for a day or two, but then I end up regretting it every time.

Shoulder to MBL won’t take very long, perhaps about a year. You will have thick, blunt and fresh ends.

I hope you’re emotionally in a better place, post-haircut.

fhairyqueen
March 6th, 2018, 12:36 PM
I can strongly relate to everyone in this thread ....
The support here helps me personally as I have the urge today

Deborah
March 6th, 2018, 12:37 PM
One length, fresh ends - these give you a great start going forward. Let go of the past and more forward with hope for better things.:flower: