PDA

View Full Version : Hair type changing?

spurple
March 5th, 2018, 05:59 PM
Hi all! I'm pretty new here and I've got a question. I know when I went through puberty my hair changed- thicker, CURLS(?!), and increasingly more brown. I haven't had long hair in at least 10 years, and it's been purple for the last 4 years. I remember thinking that my hair had been getting less curly before the big chop. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced another change in their hair somewhere in the 25-40 age range? I'm HOPING that my hair was just having issues with the way it was being treated and will revert to it's early teen state!

wannabe-rusalka
March 5th, 2018, 06:06 PM
I didn't notice a change in my hair in the 25-40 range but mine changed towards the end of puberty to be darker, thicker, and wavier. My hair used to almost white and pin straight but now is very wavy and dirty blonde.

Have you had a child recently? Have you gone through any hormonal changes? I've heard from a lot of people on here that after pregnancy their hair was permanently changed afterwards and I know that hormones can definitely change your hair.

wannabe-rusalka
March 5th, 2018, 06:09 PM
double post whoopsie

hayheadsbird
March 6th, 2018, 12:19 AM
From my early 30s my hair has started to get a wave. I put the change down to oregnacy as I was firmly in the 1s before

PixieP
March 6th, 2018, 04:11 AM
Yep, my hair got wavy a little over a year ago! I’ve had straight hair my entire life. I’m 30 now, and never been pregnant.

My husband had super straight hair as a child, became curly in his teens, and in his twenties it became straight again.

Margarita
March 6th, 2018, 05:31 AM
I totally feel you, girl. Im also started noticing change in my hair, my hair is normally curly from the roots but now im almost at the last stage of puberty(im 17.) and my hair has started growing straight from the roots. As well as my hair roots cannot get curly or very wavy, if they, will get straight. My curls at my hair ends has started to get wavy and cannot curl properly. I guess this happening due to hormonal changes or imbalance in me and you aswell. Sooooo, we must embrace it and care our hair as good as we can :)

lapushka
March 6th, 2018, 06:27 AM
Hi all! I'm pretty new here and I've got a question. I know when I went through puberty my hair changed- thicker, CURLS(?!), and increasingly more brown. I haven't had long hair in at least 10 years, and it's been purple for the last 4 years. I remember thinking that my hair had been getting less curly before the big chop. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced another change in their hair somewhere in the 25-40 age range? I'm HOPING that my hair was just having issues with the way it was being treated and will revert to it's early teen state!

I went through puberty, and went in with 1b/c hair, came out with 2b/c hair. That is often what puberty does, it changes someone's texture, a bit or a lot, or maybe not even... not at all.

I haven't had any other changes since, personally.

If you start treating it better, it will "revert", just give it the time it's going to need.

spurple
March 6th, 2018, 10:07 AM
I didn't notice a change in my hair in the 25-40 range but mine changed towards the end of puberty to be darker, thicker, and wavier. My hair used to almost white and pin straight but now is very wavy and dirty blonde.

Have you had a child recently? Have you gone through any hormonal changes? I've heard from a lot of people on here that after pregnancy their hair was permanently changed afterwards and I know that hormones can definitely change your hair.

I have not had children. So ... maybe my losing curliness phase was just stress (HOLY COW there was so much stress at that time of my life) and poor hair care? I could handle that! My life is much less stressful now and my hair care has greatly improved. :D

spurple
March 6th, 2018, 10:07 AM
From my early 30s my hair has started to get a wave. I put the change down to oregnacy as I was firmly in the 1s before

Ah, yes. Probably pregnancy! Hormones, those crazy little buggers.

spurple
March 6th, 2018, 10:09 AM
Yep, my hair got wavy a little over a year ago! I’ve had straight hair my entire life. I’m 30 now, and never been pregnant.

My husband had super straight hair as a child, became curly in his teens, and in his twenties it became straight again.

Interesting.... *crossing fingers here* Is it possible that you changed some of your hair care techniques or had some other life changes that might have led to your hair changing it's behavior?

spurple
March 6th, 2018, 10:11 AM
I went through puberty, and went in with 1b/c hair, came out with 2b/c hair. That is often what puberty does, it changes someone's texture, a bit or a lot, or maybe not even... not at all.

I haven't had any other changes since, personally.

If you start treating it better, it will "revert", just give it the time it's going to need.

Thanks for the support! Over the weekend I switched from a sulfate shampoo to a sulfate free, argan oil shampoo. HOLY COW! My hair LOVED it! So much lighter, shinier, bouncier, and CURLIER! :D My head literally feels lighter, like I just got a haircut. SO, I'm thinking sulfates are not my friend, at least not on a regular basis. :D

lapushka
March 6th, 2018, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the support! Over the weekend I switched from a sulfate shampoo to a sulfate free, argan oil shampoo. HOLY COW! My hair LOVED it! So much lighter, shinier, bouncier, and CURLIER! :D My head literally feels lighter, like I just got a haircut. SO, I'm thinking sulfates are not my friend, at least not on a regular basis. :D

I can't use sulfate-free (I have a scalp condition called SD, aka seborrheic dermatitis and the sulfates help keep it under control). But you go, girl! :cheer:

It's different for everyone. YMMV. :)

spurple
March 6th, 2018, 01:31 PM
I can't use sulfate-free (I have a scalp condition called SD, aka seborrheic dermatitis and the sulfates help keep it under control). But you go, girl! :cheer:

It's different for everyone. YMMV. :)

Yeah, I've heard a lot from both sides of the sulfate 'argument!' I was pretty sure I had never tried a sulfate free product and thought I'd give it a shot. I have been using an argan oil hair mask for a while and my hair has really been improving with that so I figured a similar shampoo might help even more. :D SO glad I took that little step.