PDA

View Full Version : Can i grow out my layer ?

Melkoroth
March 4th, 2018, 07:43 AM
So i tried cutting my very long hair at home.... and i messed it up very bad. So i went to the hairdresser to fix it and she had to cut alot of hair mainly on the front, she gave me a new layered style that looked very great after she styled it and straightened it with a hair dryer... But after i came home and washed my hair my waves returned and it looks very weird... the back doesnt really look like a V shape... i have to brush my hair out in order to make it look like V and then it goes back after a one strip of hair after some minutes.... Also i think that the hair in the front is waay too shorter compared to the hair at the back...Im a guy btw so i think it looks weird on me. I want to grow my hair out to reach my waist..so my queston is... is it safe to let my hair grow out from this style or would the back look too awkward after it would be much longer ? My hair starts to act very crazy when its shorter so i dont want to cut it... but i think that this style looks very weird.

Here are the pics :

This is how it normally looks after brushing https://imgur.com/a/PekBc , https://imgur.com/a/VB5Bg

This is how the back looks after it naturally settles https://i.imgur.com/6IxpmBO.jpg

My hairdresser told my that the back will look better once my hair gets longer and the waves will calm down....

So... can i let it grow or is the trim necessary ?

My friends told me that it looks ok and that i look like Aragorn now (: so i guess thats a plus ? But it still looks kind of weird to me....

ReptilianFeline
March 4th, 2018, 07:48 AM
I think you should just let it grow out, but if you want to look more "proper" for some reason, then pull your hair back in a ponytail. You might even do a high ponytail with some of your back hair and let your front hair hang lose. Otherwise, it looks good and healthy in the pics.

Melkoroth
March 4th, 2018, 07:51 AM
Thanks (: Its just that the back looks like T intead of V sometimes.... But i guess i just need to let it grow..

Melkoroth
March 4th, 2018, 07:55 AM
Also you can see the layers better here https://imgur.com/a/aZM1P

ReptilianFeline
March 4th, 2018, 07:55 AM
Just let it grow, Melkoroth! People won't think it looks crazy, just interesting.

Melkoroth
March 4th, 2018, 07:59 AM
I will (: I will see after like a year if it needs to be trimmed or not... But cutting my hair at home was a very bad idea...

MsPharaohMoan
March 4th, 2018, 08:01 AM
Looks healthy and the brushed out look does make you look like a fierce warrior lol but in the last pic I see what you mean. I had a very similar hemline where the sides were wispy and the hair in the middle was thick and longer. You could microtrim it away until the hemline is even. It'll take time. If you decide you're impatient, you can use Feye's Method and I bet a v or u hemline would look great on you and blend your side bits as you grow out your mane.

eta: woah that pic of you in the winter landscape is awesome! It doesn't look t shaped at all!

Obsidian
March 4th, 2018, 08:10 AM
I like how it looks very much, I see nothing wrong or weird about it. I do see what you speak of but its not odd to me. Give it time and the shorter sides will hang down you back better instead of falling forward like now, I bet by the end of summer it will be closer to what you want.

Melkoroth
March 4th, 2018, 08:10 AM
Thank you (: Having a layer of thick clothing makes my hair stay in one place so it looks like its supposed to this way... I guess i will wait, if it still keeps making a T shape after some months i will get it trimmed.. I will see...

Melkoroth
March 4th, 2018, 08:12 AM
I was wondering if the front hair isnt waaaay to short compared to the back hair, it feels like the hair at the back will reach my waist while the front hair will reach my chest... but i will be able to get it trimmed by the time it reached that lenght... And thank you all for the feedback (: I appreciate it

lapushka
March 4th, 2018, 08:13 AM
I think it looks fine, but I wouldn't let a hairdresser near me again if I were you. You wanted your layers gone, and the hairdresser gave you layers, that doesn't sound quite right. I would have complained right then and there. If it's not what you wanted you should not have paid for the service. Just MMHO. But it's often easy to speak in hindsight.

Just let it grow! :) :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum, BTW!

Margarita
March 4th, 2018, 08:40 AM
Yes ofcourse you can grow it longer, it gonna also be a beautiful hemline when longer. Just continue to take care of it and everything will be fine :)

Melkoroth
March 4th, 2018, 08:43 AM
I wanted layers, but i wanted different lenght than the old ones... I guess i got that, it looked good when she styled it, and all people here say that it looks good even now so i guess its just my anxiety telling me that it looks bad :D I will see how the hemline looks after it gets longer.

spidermom
March 4th, 2018, 08:57 AM
O.k., well I know it's not about what I think, it's about what you think, BUT your hair doesn't look weird at all. It looks like a layered haircut, a perfectly acceptable choice. Just trim a little bit off the bottom on a regular basis, and it will thicken.

Milady_DeWinter
March 4th, 2018, 09:32 AM
Your hair looks great. I'll just let it grow and would wait for the layers to grow. I'm growing layers ATM too so i know that it's frustrating, but it's the way to go :)

leayellena
March 4th, 2018, 11:32 AM
So i tried cutting my very long hair at home.... and i messed it up very bad. So i went to the hairdresser to fix it and she had to cut alot of hair mainly on the front, she gave me a new layered style that looked very great after she styled it and straightened it with a hair dryer... But after i came home and washed my hair my waves returned and it looks very weird... the back doesnt really look like a V shape... i have to brush my hair out in order to make it look like V and then it goes back after a one strip of hair after some minutes.... Also i think that the hair in the front is waay too shorter compared to the hair at the back...Im a guy btw so i think it looks weird on me. I want to grow my hair out to reach my waist..so my queston is... is it safe to let my hair grow out from this style or would the back look too awkward after it would be much longer ? My hair starts to act very crazy when its shorter so i dont want to cut it... but i think that this style looks very weird.

Here are the pics :

This is how it normally looks after brushing https://imgur.com/a/PekBc , https://imgur.com/a/VB5Bg

This is how the back looks after it naturally settles https://i.imgur.com/6IxpmBO.jpg

My hairdresser told my that the back will look better once my hair gets longer and the waves will calm down....

So... can i let it grow or is the trim necessary ?

My friends told me that it looks ok and that i look like Aragorn now (: so i guess thats a plus ? But it still looks kind of weird to me....

Do hairdressers know anything else than botching hair?
They gave you a layered messed up awkward stage.
If you let it grow you will have split ends in no time. I have been there. The solution is to microtrim your longest layer and s&d the rest.

Groovy Granny
March 4th, 2018, 11:44 AM
Welcome :waving:
You have great hair!

Sorry you had a bad experience; many of us have....sadly! :(

YOU can do anything you like with it; whatever makes YOU happy!

Most of your pics look fine IMHO, but I can see the thinness/V you mentioned in This pic (https://i.imgur.com/6IxpmBO.jpg)

I would not touch it ....except to micro trim it monthly to thicken it up dnd eventually get rid of the layers.

With help....make a ponytail in the back, slide your fingers down and snip the tip.
When it gets long enough to make a ponytail under your chin....do the same.
Then YOU have control over what it is cut.

I echo what another said about ponytails on the days it does not fall well; as it grows you will want to contain it at times anyway in a pony/bun/braid.

Happy growing ~ enjoy the forum :cheer:

Melkoroth
March 4th, 2018, 11:47 AM
Yeah, i think i might try the microtrimming.. but i dont want to risk doing anything at home...

Groovy Granny
March 4th, 2018, 11:56 AM
Yeah, i think i might try the microtrimming.. but i dont want to risk doing anything at home...

It is really easy....with sharp hair scissors....just snip the tip....that's it.

Start with a tiny bit and redo it until you are happy....take it slow.

If I can do it...you can :thumbsup:

I understand the trepidation...been there ;) ...the more you do it the better/more confident you will feel!

But seeing you just got cut, you can wait ; at your length I went a whole year...until it was long enough for ME to trim; I never went to a salon again!

Melkoroth
March 4th, 2018, 12:02 PM
Thanks (: I will probably wait a year or so... and then i will see if im confident enough to cut it at home :D

Groovy Granny
March 4th, 2018, 12:08 PM
Thanks (: I will probably wait a year or so... and then i will see if im confident enough to cut it at home :D

You're welcome :)

One step at a time; it is healthy so just let it grow...enjoying each stage of your journey :cheer:

Melkoroth
March 4th, 2018, 12:12 PM
Do you think it could look good even without trimming ? My hair is wavy and it can get almost curly and 2 years when i didnt have any layers the hair looked very big so i think i might need layers to be there... It would have to get very long before i could ger rid of the layers tbh....

Groovy Granny
March 4th, 2018, 01:30 PM
Do you think it could look good even without trimming ? My hair is wavy and it can get almost curly and 2 years when i didnt have any layers the hair looked very big so i think i might need layers to be there... It would have to get very long before i could ger rid of the layers tbh....
You'll have to play it by ear.... only you can make that call ... an in the end it is what makes YOU happy.

It won't take too long to get rid of layers if you choose to.
I started with a heavily layered chin length, and with micro trims and a couple of layer chops at the end, it took @ 3 years at MBL.

If you decide to keep layers you can still trim it yourself using the 'Compact Cut'; here are some threads (https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-3235226288598694:5897013588&ie=UTF-8&q=compact+cut&sa=Search&ref=#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=compact%20cut&gsc.page=1) you can research in the meantime.

And here is the link to Feye's Method for one length hair http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

For now, just wear it as you like and let it grow ;)

Melkoroth
March 4th, 2018, 01:37 PM
Yes, i will wait for now... i then i will see... but most men in my family are bald so i might lose my hair before it reached the waist lenght :/ ...

My hair looks very much a like a triangle without layers... i have only once cringry picture of how it looked and even then i had some slight layers so you can see that my hair is very hard to manage without layers... Sorry for the awkward pic but i dont have anything else showcasing it :D https://imgur.com/a/YYWIX My hair was chest lenght btw... But it always went into that triangle shape... And my hairdresser told me that i need layers in order to keep my hair close to my body :D

spidermom
March 4th, 2018, 01:51 PM
Ah yes, the dreaded pyramid effect. I like layers at shorter lengths for that very reason, plus I think layers really bring out the beauty of my wave/curl pattern. Otherwise it just bushes out. With curly and even wavy hair, it tends to look its natural best with no brushing and only occasional careful combing.

draysmir
March 4th, 2018, 02:47 PM
I think you should let it just grow for a while :) I had a similar cut and length when I was beginning to grow my hair, the hairdresser essentially cut my hair into a bob with heavy layers that made me have a mullet. When I asked her next time to blend it better, she cut those layers even farther back into my hair. Even worse mullet. So I have shorter sections of hair from my ears forward still. *sighs* Your hair is much wavier, so I think the hemline looks much nicer and less choppy on you. I think when you grow your hair out longer, your hemline will end up being a V shape, which is not bad at all, a lot of people cut their hair that way! I think a V shape looks nice with fairytale ends. :) I don't think you necessarily need to have layers or a certain hemline for your hair type, if you don't like how it looks then try something different!

If you end up not liking the way your hemline is, I would recommend microtrimming. I have not cut my shorter layers in three years (the whole time I've been growing out my hair), and they are fairytaled and have moderate damage compared to my length. I would have tried to shape the sides of my hemline, but literally my hemline is like this: -_- , so I would need to do a very deep V or U to have a nice hemline. I want a blunt hemline, so then I would need to still trim my hair to one length ANYWAY, so I decided to just baby my hair until I maintain later this year. So, if you have fine hair like me that gets damaged easily, I would begin microtrimming instead of just growing for a long time like I did and then dealing with it when it's more damaged :p

Ultimately, I think your hair looks nice! And for a guy, that hemline is quite common around where I live, since a lot of guys are growing out their hair, and that's a similar hemline you would get if you didn't trim up the back if you were growing from bald/short. :) And again, your texture compliments that hemline quite better than mine did IMHO, so I would keep growing if you like the hemline the way it is!

Melkoroth
March 4th, 2018, 03:12 PM
Yes, growing out layers that are still short is hard.... The mullet look is the worst :D :D

I also noticed that many guys that are in the "awkward stage" have chin lenght hair all over their head.... It seems that every guy cuts his back hair while in the awkward stage...

Aredhel
March 4th, 2018, 03:18 PM
Just wanted to pop in to express my appreciation for your username... very clever. :)

Also, your hair looks fine. Looks like you're just passing that dreaded awkward stage anyway, so it only gets better from here. If you're really bothered by the layers though, you could give the longest ones a little trim but I'd just leave it if it were me... looks healthy and not in need of a cut. :) A ponytail could hide the layers really well too.

Melkoroth
March 4th, 2018, 03:24 PM
Cant fit my hair into a ponytail..... But i dont mind having it flowing :D

Im glad you understand my username (:

Melkoroth
March 4th, 2018, 03:26 PM
And judging from your name you are also a Tolkien fan (:

Aredhel
March 4th, 2018, 04:20 PM
Cant fit my hair into a ponytail..... But i dont mind having it flowing :D

Im glad you understand my username (:

I think it looks fine loose anyway! You have some really nice waves in your hair that will look great when longer... plus they help mask the layers too IMO, which kinda works in your situation. :)

And judging from your name you are also a Tolkien fan (:
Guilty as charged! :D

Also, welcome to the forum!

maborosi
March 5th, 2018, 12:14 PM
I think it looks fine! I had razored layers during the first time I grew out my hair. With your natural texture, it looks totally fine while you grow it out.

What I did was gradually trim the layers until I had a more blunt hemline. It can take a while, but your hair should catch up just fine.

AutobotsAttack
March 5th, 2018, 02:54 PM
I’d agree to let it grow. Perhaps once it’s longer and you can determine if you wish to trim a small bit.

yahirwaO.o
March 5th, 2018, 03:53 PM
Yes, i will wait for now... i then i will see... but most men in my family are bald so i might lose my hair before it reached the waist lenght :/ ...

My hair looks very much a like a triangle without layers... i have only once cringry picture of how it looked and even then i had some slight layers so you can see that my hair is very hard to manage without layers... Sorry for the awkward pic but i dont have anything else showcasing it :D https://imgur.com/a/YYWIX My hair was chest lenght btw... But it always went into that triangle shape... And my hairdresser told me that i need layers in order to keep my hair close to my body :D

Im not gonna lie! Your looks super cool, healthy and all. I know many wavies like definition and balance but I sincerely think thick brushed out wavy hair (like in your pic) looks super on you and early 70's like. (Take a look at every Black Sabbath member except Ozzie, they had crazy triangle but glorious wavy hair)

Still if you like layers try to cut them in long layers on your own with a combo of a micro trim and the ponytail method. Its easy and gets better with practice.

Your current hair in the winter background looks just nice for a fresh start, however if you ask me that lady who cut your hair went to crazy with the layering and kinda gave you a wavy almost mullet style (first pictures), is much better and safe to do it on your own.

Rock on leave it alone, put it up and continue growing man!!!:cool:

Yes, growing out layers that are still short is hard.... The mullet look is the worst :D :D

I also noticed that many guys that are in the "awkward stage" have chin lenght hair all over their head.... It seems that every guy cuts his back hair while in the awkward stage...

Count me in ;). But I think its much more safe and current in trend to grow out in more blunt-ish way nowadays. Also most guys growing are so used to get regular trims and a fresh chin lenght style feels and looks a lot healthier than shaggy unshaped mop.

When I grew my hair the first 2 times, they were from a shaggy mullet mess and somehow it felt and looked quite emo quirky ish which I feel is kinda dated look to me and is very 00's super layered styles. Besides my hair grew but it was extremely thing at the bottom which made it look finer than it is already.

This time I went with a blunt cut bob and its growing as healthy and full just like I want long hair. :)