PDA

View Full Version : horn comb and airport security

scbasil7
March 2nd, 2018, 11:10 PM
Can I keep my horn comb in my carry-on bag? Will it show up on the X-rays? I don't want it confiscated, so if anyone has any experience with this please share! Thanks!!

trolleypup
March 2nd, 2018, 11:30 PM
No worries whatsoever.

lapushka
March 3rd, 2018, 04:28 AM
Depends on what country you are traveling to, and what their view on "horn" is, it may be... difficult. But if they x-ray your luggage, it will be the same, so no reason not to keep it in your carry-on.

chomsky
March 3rd, 2018, 05:06 AM
Metal (sharp) pointy things aren't allowed through in UK airports, I got told off for a safety pin once. I worked at a large airport here for 2 years and staff search is monitored the same way as passengers.

Knitting needles and sewing needles are allowed in both check in and carry on luggage in the UK, they're personal items. So, assuming our airport rules are similar (I don't know where you are) I can't see it being treated any differently than that. You can tell them beforehand, but it is just a hair comb at the l end of the day, not one single point. And everyone has seen a hair comb before, they're sold in standard shops, not good quality but still a comb.

You can also call the airport or your airline before travel if you're worried.

scbasil7
March 3rd, 2018, 06:28 AM
Thank you so much for the replies!! I can now pack without stressing out :D

Chromis
March 3rd, 2018, 07:12 AM
A comb should be fine on a domestic flight. Internationally, it depends what countries you are going to/from with anything made of natural materials.

cjk
March 3rd, 2018, 09:21 AM
There are no restrictions or problems with something like a comb.

But TSA is inconsistent and much is subject to the whims and even moods of the agent. So if you have anything you want to keep, something a bit out of the ordinary, be aware of that.

Chromis
March 3rd, 2018, 10:08 AM
TSA is not who would be fussy on a horn object, that is more a customs issue

chomsky
March 3rd, 2018, 11:44 AM
TSA is not who would be fussy on a horn object, that is more a customs issue

As far as I can remember from my training there's a difference between a treated and non-treated natural good. So a hair stick would be fine but a raw piece of wood wouldn't be. Even Australia permits treated wooden objects and their customs is some of the strictest in the world. Wooden and horn jewellery is quite common, pendants, ear plugs, and the like.

But then again I am based in the UK and I don't know where OP is or where they're going.

Chromis
March 3rd, 2018, 06:02 PM
As far as I can remember from my training there's a difference between a treated and non-treated natural good. So a hair stick would be fine but a raw piece of wood wouldn't be. Even Australia permits treated wooden objects and their customs is some of the strictest in the world. Wooden and horn jewellery is quite common, pendants, ear plugs, and the like.

But then again I am based in the UK and I don't know where OP is or where they're going.

I was thinking of a friend who had some customs issues with a drinking horn actually! And I know people that have had issues with wooden boxes as well. One was an Aussie, the others were flying through small countries in Africa, but I would have to look up which ones. OP didn't say though which is why our answers are vague. They still never came to tell us if it was an international flight even, so this might be completely irrelevant.

scbasil7
March 4th, 2018, 01:54 AM
It's a domestic flight, so I suppose TSA won't trouble me with it. Do they have any way of proving it's made of horn? I never found any way of knowing whether it's definitely horn. It looks like thick, black, seamless plastic comb, but the feel is very different - no static, goes through hair very gently even when i yank through in a hurry, and it absorbs oil from my oiled hair.

lucid
March 4th, 2018, 05:07 AM
This made me think about the one time I had a pocked knife on me through airport security. The metal detector went of, and when we found the culprit it was quite embarrassing.. I immediately said that they could throw it away, I had just forgotten that it was in my jacket and it was a rusty, old and cheap pocket knife anyway. Well, once through the metal detector, they gave it back!! On the next airport they took it (of course!!), and was quite shook to hear that they had given it back to me on the first airport and even called them to let them know... I guess mistakes happen, but still. I was 15 at the time, so I just wanted to check how far I would actually get the knife. Had it happened to me now I would have let them know about their mistake at the first airport, so that they didn't repeat their mistake with a psycho...

Super of topic, sorry :p

hobbitlocks
March 4th, 2018, 12:39 PM
I don’t think TSA would have any issues with horn. Like it’s perfectly legal to have a horn item so why would they?

I have a silver hair stick that I know looks weird to them on the X-ray. I take it out of my bag and put it in the bin with my toiletries, etc so they can quickly check it out on its way by and then I don’t have to deal with the longer process of them wanting to look through my bag.

lithostoic
March 4th, 2018, 12:59 PM
I don't see why a hair comb would raise any alarms. I've gone flying (domestic) with a belt covered in replica bullets and all they did was inspect the belt and swab my hands for gunpowder.

scbasil7
March 5th, 2018, 08:53 AM
I don't see why a hair comb would raise any alarms. I've gone flying (domestic) with a belt covered in replica bullets and all they did was inspect the belt and swab my hands for gunpowder.

Good heavens! Why would you even wear a belt like that when flying?! XD

lithostoic
March 5th, 2018, 03:55 PM
Good heavens! Why would you even wear a belt like that when flying?! XD

It was in my bag, I was going on vacation so I had to look snazzy. I knew it wasn't going to be an issue. Not like they're going to arrest me for being too punk lmao

scbasil7
March 9th, 2018, 01:04 AM
Everything went well! No troubles with airport security at all! Thank you all so much for the help!! <3 <3

languagenut
March 9th, 2018, 01:08 AM
Glad to hear it all went smoothly! Hope you have a good trip! :)