PDA

View Full Version : Have finally gotten a bun to stay in one place; need further suggestions, please

DarleneH
March 1st, 2018, 07:38 AM
I don't use a ton of styling products or dry shampoo, so I think my hair is usually too slippery and so just about any way I make a bun wouldn't stay. But if I stick a few of those duckbill clips in, then it stays. Regular hairpins are useless for me; even large numbers of them wouldn't stay in. I've also tried the squiggly things that you screw in, and large Amish pins. Nothing ever holds in one place for more than a few minutes before the whole mass starts sliding and coming unraveled, but these duckbills are holding it overnight with me tossing and turning and flipping like a fish on dry land.

I can use these at home at night, but what can I get that is similar and looks better for daytime buns when out in public? I'm thrilled that this is working out great for keeping hair out of the way and making bun waves while I sleep, but they definitely are not too awfully attractive.

ipickee
March 1st, 2018, 07:40 AM
That’s great news, congrats on the progress! How long is your hair? The longer it gets, the more options you’ll have.

Aredhel
March 1st, 2018, 08:21 AM
It does get easier to bun very slippery hair (as is my own) the longer it gets. I don't use dry shampoo or styling products either.

There are certain types of buns that hold way firmer than others too, you just have to experiment with different buns and find the ones that hold the best while being comfortable enough to wear up all day. You might want to try different types of hair toys too. I've found that thicker sticks, 3+ prong forks and ficcares generally hold my own buns the best... pins and clips can't hold my hair up either.

lapushka
March 1st, 2018, 03:22 PM
Yes, how long is your hair? What's the thickness?

I think you've just about tried it all, if you've tried bobbies & spin pins.

I'm past TBL and my bun is a LWB (lazy wrap bun) and it holds with a single fork. I don't see why it wouldn't hold with just one big fork if it's got some decent length to it.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 1st, 2018, 04:06 PM
I agree with lapushka, also, have you tried a pair of claw clips? Nothing escapes those.

Beeboo123
March 1st, 2018, 07:30 PM
I agree with lapushka, also, have you tried a pair of claw clips? Nothing escapes those.

I second this! Claw clips are the best. I have TBL hair, and nothing keeps it contained, not even when I pair forks with spin pins. Claw clips, however, keep my bun up the entire day!

LadyLongLocks
March 1st, 2018, 09:12 PM
I agree! Claw clips are the best! I don't have slippery hair though, but my granddaughter does and buns are more difficult. Another thing is to start with a ponytail using metal free Elastics. I can always count on claw clips to hold my hair all day.

Katia_k
March 1st, 2018, 10:37 PM
For my roommate who's got very thick very silky hair, the miracle was a 4-pronged jeter fork. Lots of surface area, crazy firm hold. NOt sure if that'll do it but might be worth a shot.

DarleneH
March 2nd, 2018, 08:40 AM
Can any of you recommend specific claw clips you use, so I can make sure I'm understanding? I've only ever bought ones like from Walmart and drugstores, so the common Scunci or Conair ones are all I have experience with. Yes they hold, but they add extra weight and painful spots after a while. My hair is mid-back and fairly thick; I got a friend to take a pic yesterday so when I can I'll post it.

I forgot to mention above that sticks don't keep my hair put either, and I've tried several different ones. I haven't tried Flexi-8s because they've been kind of expensive, so I was making do with what I had locally available to keep from ordering something off the Internet that I couldn't examine in person first. Thanks, guys!

Rowdy
March 2nd, 2018, 09:15 AM
Can any of you recommend specific claw clips you use, so I can make sure I'm understanding? I've only ever bought ones like from Walmart and drugstores, so the common Scunci or Conair ones are all I have experience with. Yes they hold, but they add extra weight and painful spots after a while. My hair is mid-back and fairly thick; I got a friend to take a pic yesterday so when I can I'll post it.

I forgot to mention above that sticks don't keep my hair put either, and I've tried several different ones. I haven't tried Flexi-8s because they've been kind of expensive, so I was making do with what I had locally available to keep from ordering something off the Internet that I couldn't examine in person first. Thanks, guys!

How large are the claw clips you have tried? The very large and medium ones don't hold my hair, they tug and are much too heavy for me. I really like tiny ones like these ones here (https://www.amazon.com/Goody-Claw-Clip-Small-Count/dp/B003YOVCLU/ref=cm_wl_huc_item). They have an excellent grip and I use 1 - 3 around a bun to hold with each one gripping just a little bit of bun and scalp hair.

Also, forks worked for me way before sticks, and with sticks I could only reliably use them without a ponytail base at 31"+.

Eta: These (https://www.amazon.com/Scunci-No-Slip-Grip-Mini-Clips/dp/B001QX7NTQ/ref=pd_sim_194_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001QX7NTQ&pd_rd_r=VWDX9NSWZY775Y9W4W14&pd_rd_w=6yK1Q&pd_rd_wg=uDglk&refRID=VWDX9NSWZY775Y9W4W14&th=1)ones have even more hold.

DarleneH
March 2nd, 2018, 09:23 AM
I have not tried multiple tiny ones, just single big ones. Thank you, I will definitely try that! That is sort of the same concept as using multiple duckbills.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 2nd, 2018, 01:43 PM
I use Goody Half Moon claw clips, they look nice, don't break and hold like nobody's business, I bought them off Amazon. They are the same ones as LadyLongLocks uses. They also open wide to hold lots of hair! I bought six, so that should be a lifetime supply for me :laugh:

https://i.imgur.com/UrBpFf0.jpg

Larki
March 2nd, 2018, 02:45 PM
I also use those clips, Sarahlabyrinth, among others and for the record have never had them pull my hair or be uncomfortable, they all hold like a rock. You just have to make sure you get plenty of scalp hair so they have an anchor.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 2nd, 2018, 02:55 PM
I also use those clips, Sarahlabyrinth, among others and for the record have never had them pull my hair or be uncomfortable, they all hold like a rock. You just have to make sure you get plenty of scalp hair so they have an anchor.

Yes, they are wonderful, and yes to making sure they have a good grab of scalp hair :)

lapushka
March 2nd, 2018, 04:27 PM

My hair is iii, and it took until hip to be able to do a bun comfortably - the length may not be there yet, simply put. So yes, claw clips might be your friend for now. Also try a log roll with them, that should hold fairly well.

CopperButterfly
March 2nd, 2018, 08:59 PM
How large are the claw clips you have tried? The very large and medium ones don't hold my hair, they tug and are much too heavy for me. I really like tiny ones like these ones here (https://www.amazon.com/Goody-Claw-Clip-Small-Count/dp/B003YOVCLU/ref=cm_wl_huc_item). They have an excellent grip and I use 1 - 3 around a bun to hold with each one gripping just a little bit of bun and scalp hair.

Also, forks worked for me way before sticks, and with sticks I could only reliably use them without a ponytail base at 31"+.

Eta: These (https://www.amazon.com/Scunci-No-Slip-Grip-Mini-Clips/dp/B001QX7NTQ/ref=pd_sim_194_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001QX7NTQ&pd_rd_r=VWDX9NSWZY775Y9W4W14&pd_rd_w=6yK1Q&pd_rd_wg=uDglk&refRID=VWDX9NSWZY775Y9W4W14&th=1)ones have even more hold.

I agree with this completely. I really like the no slip grip ones linked in the edit. I could never get the big claw clips to be comfy, but the little ones are super versatile.

DarleneH
March 5th, 2018, 06:12 PM
Sarahlabyrinth, I'll look for those too. Thanks, guys!

When I posted the image here it was huge so I'm trying the url route, in case you wanted to see how my hair is:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30655&d=1520298504

akurah
March 8th, 2018, 12:25 AM

When I posted the image here it was huge so I'm trying the url route, in case you wanted to see how my hair is:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30655&d=1520298504

When your hair is longer, it will be easier. not that it helps you now.

My hair is also pretty fussy and slippery, so sometimes I braid it and tie off the end (that's key, the hair will slip otherwise) before putting a stick in. I'm also a big fan of claw clips.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 8th, 2018, 12:48 AM

It's so pretty - and looks thick, so you may need more length to be able to make buns, but you should be able to make a log roll and hold it with a couple of claw clips. Or a Cinnabun.