PDA

View Full Version : Breakage and hair loss

Margarita
March 1st, 2018, 03:01 AM
Hello. So, i woke up this morning and untie my braids and noticed some hair loss. I dont know if its my imagination or not but, i dont remember ever again pulling out so many hair with my hand or not, though i tie my hair with rubber bands i dont know if its good. My back hair came out frizzy and poor textured wavy(for some reason, this is very common to my hair) so i decided to spray my ends with water and see. My hair did not curl but came out kind of frizzy and breakage like. I did not take any picture but i can describe how exactly it looked like while it was wet: The front sides of my hair(close to my ears) were seemed to be shorter(though i have a straight bob haircut) that did not touched slightly my shoulders like the rest of my hair almost does. And, the rest back of my hair seemed longer. I'll say this in general, when i try to grow my hair longer, i dont know what happens, my hair appear thinner and like it has breakage despite the fact i have changed my hair routine into a healthier and and moisturized one. I guess my own hair cant stand the fact of growing longer beautifully...:(:mad:

AutobotsAttack
March 1st, 2018, 03:16 AM
I think you might have to be patient and see what your hair is trying to do. Perhaps the shorter parts in the front seem shorter due to whatever waves you have, and the longer parts seem longer because gravity might have already starred to get ahold of them, fusing the waves to stretch a bit.

Perhaps your hair was styled a bit shorter when you first got the bob cut?

Either way, when growing your hair out, it might seem odd if it’s growing past that awkward stage. I went through that when my hair started growing past my ears.

I also wouldn’t suggest putting rubber bands on your hair. I can guarantee those few hairs were probably breakage. Even if you can’t hear any snapping or ripping, breakage can still occur. The rubbery part of the rubber band tends to take hairs along with it.

Maybe when you spritz with water, put a tiny tiny amount of oils on the ends to keep some of the moisture in as well. Not too much to where you weigh down the hair though.

Margarita
March 1st, 2018, 06:19 AM
I see, to tell the truth, my period days are coming and im having symptoms before and after my period. Second is, my mom tells me that my hair keep falling because spring is almost here so that makes it fall out, especially that happens in summer too. Since my mom is a hairdresser, she cut my hair, as i said her to cut it totally straight bob haircut, thats what she did. I guess my curls/waves are asymmetrical and that make it not to seem like a bob cut. Note: I've had layers some years ago.
My mom also said that i need to embrace the whole mess happening while i grow my hair, till the stage it'll gonna be long and no more troublesome.
Hm, i'll try to stop wearing rubber bands and see what it can do.
I thinked about putting some oil but, since im doing co-wash twice a week, i dont want my hair to get over-moisturized with oils and cremes. By the way, once i recall 'creme' i have a leave-in cream from Klorane, im thinking to use it after shower before i braid my hair.

Thanks for your reply and have a good dye :)

lapushka
March 1st, 2018, 07:16 AM
Hello. So, i woke up this morning and untie my braids and noticed some hair loss. I dont know if its my imagination or not but, i dont remember ever again pulling out so many hair with my hand or not, though i tie my hair with rubber bands i dont know if its good. My back hair came out frizzy and poor textured wavy(for some reason, this is very common to my hair) so i decided to spray my ends with water and see. My hair did not curl but came out kind of frizzy and breakage like. I did not take any picture but i can describe how exactly it looked like while it was wet: The front sides of my hair(close to my ears) were seemed to be shorter(though i have a straight bob haircut) that did not touched slightly my shoulders like the rest of my hair almost does. And, the rest back of my hair seemed longer. I'll say this in general, when i try to grow my hair longer, i dont know what happens, my hair appear thinner and like it has breakage despite the fact i have changed my hair routine into a healthier and and moisturized one. I guess my own hair cant stand the fact of growing longer beautifully...:(:mad:

I tried to tell you as subtly as I could a while ago, that maybe braids this length are not good for you. :flower: I am not just saying that. For them to work this length you have to braid them in tightly and that is 1/not good 2/even worse at night when you sleep on it and move on a tightly set do. It's not good. :(

It might seriously help your texture too if you just let it go natural.

Margarita
March 1st, 2018, 07:48 AM
I see, good thing i keep telling myself i've gotten in the nerves of all the people here :/
Another thing concerns me is summer, i guess sea water is not for good because last wear my hair was......better not to tell you what. Do you have any advice how to keep my hair safe in summer? and safe from the sea water damage?

Natashap
March 1st, 2018, 08:11 AM
Salt water not too good for hair ,as dehydrates further.Try to keep it in scrunchie instead ,less breakage.Try to keep it open if you can.

No ,you are not bothering or getting on nerves of anyone here so feel free to post.

lapushka
March 1st, 2018, 08:12 AM
I see, good thing i keep telling myself i've gotten in the nerves of all the people here :/
Another thing concerns me is summer, i guess sea water is not for good because last wear my hair was......better not to tell you what. Do you have any advice how to keep my hair safe in summer? and safe from the sea water damage?

No you're not getting on anyone's nerves. I don't know where you got that from. But there's one thing between us telling you something and you not wanting to hear it. If you want to keep braiding your hair, that's totally up to you, of course, but well... we did warn you about the possibility of breakage, I think. :flower:

In summer you can oil the hair (just a tiny bit), or put some conditioner in it, then wrap it up (at this length kind of impossible), but with small claw clips should be able to do something. Look at Dr Dray for instance. She has chin length and does the most adorable do with her tiny claw clips (Dr Dray on YT). Watch a few of her videos (vlog style) and you'll hopefully see the style in a few videos.

Margarita
March 1st, 2018, 08:27 AM
Mmmm :)
Well, i wish i could leave my hair air-dry if my hair got volume -.-
Okay, so that means i need to tie my hair up when i swim, right?

lapushka
March 1st, 2018, 09:25 AM
Mmmm :)
Well, i wish i could leave my hair air-dry if my hair got volume -.-
Okay, so that means i need to tie my hair up when i swim, right?

Why don't you at least try? Do the LOC/LCO method (link in signature) on it and leave it be.

You don't necessarily need to put your hair up for swimming, but I would do so if you are planning on oiling it (and don't overoil).

Margarita
March 1st, 2018, 09:52 AM
I dont have any problem trying the LOC/LCO method, the problem i have is about the volume. Im pretty sure that from that method my hair will not frizz but, what about my roots? I tell you, my hair gets FLAT af when i air-dry it. Its not that i dont what to air-dry my hair, i know its beneficial, im tired of braiding and braiding all over again my hair but thats a method i know to make my hair look fuller with volume.

nycelle
March 1st, 2018, 10:12 AM
I love the beach, and swim every change I get in the summer. The salt water didn't damage my hair, the sun did.
So for the beach, I'd just put my hair under a loose hat, or wear a scarf around it when not in the water.
Have also read that sun blocks you use for your skin, work on the hair as well. I've never tried it myself though, but it doesn't hurt to look into it.

Regarding blow drying- I have a babybliss pro with some kind of weird plates that I paid over a hundred bucks for, on sale, years ago. It's supposed to be less damaging, but I don't find that to be true.

So if you're styling your roots via a hair dryer, or some other heat method, it's gonna get damaged, there's no way around it.
The only thing you can do is use products specifically for heat styling, and hope they work to keep damage to a minimum.

Good luck, hope you find something that works for you.

lapushka
March 1st, 2018, 10:54 AM
I dont have any problem trying the LOC/LCO method, the problem i have is about the volume. Im pretty sure that from that method my hair will not frizz but, what about my roots? I tell you, my hair gets FLAT af when i air-dry it. Its not that i dont what to air-dry my hair, i know its beneficial, im tired of braiding and braiding all over again my hair but thats a method i know to make my hair look fuller with volume.

Maybe try diffuse-drying your hair. I do 30-45 min. in a towel, then airdry for 2-4H and then I diffuse for 5 min. It does a lot for volume!

nycelle, there is nothing wrong with blowdrying as long as it is done on good temperatures (cool/warm). As long as you can hold your hand (or a more sensitive part of you) in the airstream for a long time without it burning, the temperature is OK for the hair!

nycelle
March 1st, 2018, 11:41 AM
I said heat styling, meaning hot with any styling instrument including a dryer.

Personally, I've never had good results on a cooler setting. They're generally used to set the style, not create it. But sure, you can dry on a cooler setting if all you want is dry hair.

lapushka
March 1st, 2018, 04:17 PM
I said heat styling, meaning hot with any styling instrument including a dryer.

Personally, I've never had good results on a cooler setting. They're generally used to set the style, not create it. But sure, you can dry on a cooler setting if all you want is dry hair.

Yes and I made the distinction between the two. A dryer isn't considered bad around these parts, if used wisely. But whether or not you choose to airdry fully or use a blowdryer in the process is totally up to each individual. Yes hot tools are bad, but a blow dryer can be used, when used wisely.

Margarita
March 2nd, 2018, 04:34 AM
Finally a person who says that using heat tools in the right way wont damage hair. Seriously, all i hear is 'heat tools are bad and if you want to grow long your hair you must not use heat'. I'll say a truth: When i was younger my mom used to straight my hair saying that'll gonna help my hair cuticles to stay "sealed" and that would make my hair grow longer. Since styling my hair was NOT OFTEN but done occasionally, i dont remember my hair having split ends back then. Well, i have a photo of me when i was 7-8 and my hair were straight, and i swear i had so thick hair ends and perfect. I like diffuser, but now you got me in a sensitive spot that i refuse to use any heat tools. I dont know, my hair gets quickly kind of messy and ugly. I guess i can use that keratin spray to protect my hair on heat.

lapushka
March 2nd, 2018, 05:28 AM
Finally a person who says that using heat tools in the right way wont damage hair. Seriously, all i hear is 'heat tools are bad and if you want to grow long your hair you must not use heat'. I'll say a truth: When i was younger my mom used to straight my hair saying that'll gonna help my hair cuticles to stay "sealed" and that would make my hair grow longer. Since styling my hair was NOT OFTEN but done occasionally, i dont remember my hair having split ends back then. Well, i have a photo of me when i was 7-8 and my hair were straight, and i swear i had so thick hair ends and perfect. I like diffuser, but now you got me in a sensitive spot that i refuse to use any heat tools. I dont know, my hair gets quickly kind of messy and ugly. I guess i can use that keratin spray to protect my hair on heat.

It's quite known around these parts, Margarita, it's not "just me" saying that a blow dryer won't hurt. Low temperatures though! Keep that in mind. I am NOT promoting it on hot. Most certainly not! And with diffusing you can get quite a bit of volume in the hair without it getting flat.

It would solve your issues really well, I think!

Margarita
March 2nd, 2018, 08:53 AM
Well, im thinking about using some mousse in my hair, roots and ends and then scrunch. I havent use that much mousse, but in order to stay away from heat, i wonder if mousse can give volume to hair without any blowdryer or diffuser. Oh and, i've a small method on how to give atleast a bit volume on my hair, but massaging my scalp.

lapushka
March 2nd, 2018, 09:25 AM
Well, im thinking about using some mousse in my hair, roots and ends and then scrunch. I havent use that much mousse, but in order to stay away from heat, i wonder if mousse can give volume to hair without any blowdryer or diffuser. Oh and, i've a small method on how to give atleast a bit volume on my hair, but massaging my scalp.

You can try. Do you have a diffuser around? If so I would give that a try maybe alongside the mousse?

Margarita
March 2nd, 2018, 09:28 AM
Yes i have a diffuser, but i want to try first if i can get some volume using first mousse and massaging my scalp till my get dry :D It is bad using mousse after every hair wash? I've heard it protects from heat but what about damage? I know it makes build-up so i use a sulfate shampoo once a week to clean.

lapushka
March 2nd, 2018, 12:16 PM
Yes i have a diffuser, but i want to try first if i can get some volume using first mousse and massaging my scalp till my get dry :D It is bad using mousse after every hair wash? I've heard it protects from heat but what about damage? I know it makes build-up so i use a sulfate shampoo once a week to clean.

There's nothing wrong with stylers, mousse, gel, curl cream, etc. But it largely depends on what gel or mousse you use; needs to be alcohol-free or it will be drying!

What kind of mousse will you be using?

*Wednesday*
March 2nd, 2018, 07:17 PM
I was a big heat tools girl years back. I haven't used "heat" since Jan 2017. I used a blow dryer once in the summer (like Lapushka said on a cool setting that it didn't burn my skin) only because I had to go out. Yes, heat makes the hair look nice but it damages. If you aren't concerned about keeping length with healthy looking ends and don't mind trimming a little more often, length retention can become an issue when trying to grow the hair long. I know they sell heat protectants but for people consistently using heat tools, does not stop the damage it delays it.

I've hated keeping my hair "raw" but I've since learn to accept what i have and just work with it. As your hair gets longer, Margarita you will be thankful. :)

Margarita
March 3rd, 2018, 08:11 AM
Small update: I washed my hair today and put mousse on my hair and scruch......and better not to tell you how it was. Okay, literally my hair no matter what stays STRAIGHT at the top and curly at the ends making it look flat and not beautiful. The curls were lovely but, i had zero volume just because my hair crown is straight. The worst part of it is, due to my haircut, my own hair dont have "weight" down to stay in position as i can tell, making my curly hair become afro, and it is awful. So, i ended up braiding my hair all back while it was still a bit damp with the mousse on it.

lapushka
March 3rd, 2018, 08:14 AM
I was a big heat tools girl years back. I haven't used "heat" since Jan 2017. I used a blow dryer once in the summer (like Lapushka said on a cool setting that it didn't burn my skin) only because I had to go out. Yes, heat makes the hair look nice but it damages. If you aren't concerned about keeping length with healthy looking ends and don't mind trimming a little more often, length retention can become an issue when trying to grow the hair long. I know they sell heat protectants but for people consistently using heat tools, does not stop the damage it delays it.

I've hated keeping my hair "raw" but I've since learn to accept what i have and just work with it. As your hair gets longer, Margarita you will be thankful. :)

I have had classic for a year, and am now growing back to classic. I wash weekly and diffuse weekly, on cool or warm (just on the brink of that burning temperature, yes: my bad) and I have 0 white dots and 0 splits.

You can't just up and state that it damages. I'm sorry. You can't. There's plenty of people that blow dry (responsibly) and don't see damage from it, I'm sure.

lapushka
March 3rd, 2018, 08:15 AM
Small update: I washed my hair today and put mousse on my hair and scruch......and better not to tell you how it was. Okay, literally my hair no matter what stays STRAIGHT at the top and curly at the ends making it look flat and not beautiful. The curls were lovely but, i had zero volume just because my hair crown is straight. The worst part of it is, due to my haircut, my own hair dont have "weight" down to stay in position as i can tell, making my curly hair become afro, and it is awful. So, i ended up braiding my hair all back while it was still a bit damp with the mousse on it.

Maybe with diffusing you can "control" the wave/curl more. But it's up to you whether or not you want to go there. :flower:

Margarita
March 3rd, 2018, 08:43 AM
Look, i like very much how a diffuser transforms curls, i do but, i dont want to use heat. But as i said, theres a possibility of my hair transforming into straight because it starts from the roots. I have bob hair, which means short, so easier and high curls. Thats not on me, im sure im gonna have flat straight hair when i reach adulthood...Anyway, thanks for your help :wink::o

lapushka
March 3rd, 2018, 08:58 AM
Look, i like very much how a diffuser transforms curls, i do but, i dont want to use heat. But as i said, theres a possibility of my hair transforming into straight because it starts from the roots. I have bob hair, which means short, so easier and high curls. Thats not on me, im sure im gonna have flat straight hair when i reach adulthood...Anyway, thanks for your help :wink::o

You're welcome. Don't think I'm trying to "push" the diffuser on you. It was just another tool that could possibly have helped. It's totally fine and up to you whether you want to use it or not. :) :thumbsup:

Maybe growing it out some more will solve a lot of the issues you are currently having with your hair. :flower:

Margarita
March 3rd, 2018, 09:20 AM
To tell the truth, im really desperate for my hair, i just dont know what to do, everything i do it does seem an ugly mess to me. Im not trying to have hair like others but i try my best in order to do something that'll gonna appear amazing in front of my eyes. I'll tell you something else, due to my hair mess(as i see it) i dont want to put on makeup, and imagine that im a makeup art student. I see all the frizz-free and long and thick hair and im sad inside me, they style their hair so easily, and im standing in front of my mirror watering, oiling, put on mousse, braiding and whatever i can to like what i see and i end up thinking im damaging my hair and almost nothing seem to fix it...i know i sound pathetic :/

cjk
March 3rd, 2018, 10:34 AM
Attitude.

If you read the threads on this site, you'll notice several themes. The relevant one, here, is that if you want your hair to look good the way to achieve that is to stop TRYING so hard.

Accept it and work with it.

Seemingly the key to good hair is to stop working at it. Blow dryers, heat, rollers, and a shelf full of products tend to do more damage than we want to admit to ourselves and only when we relax into the process do we find happiness.

So relax. Stop trying to force your hair into the shape you think it should be, and watch it shine.

Margarita
March 3rd, 2018, 10:44 AM
I understand, but i guess the reason all these happens is because i also have OCD so it makes me a perfectionist which makes me wanna do everything in a right place..and, if those things arent done in the right place, this is were i get crazy o.o oh well.....

MusicalSpoons
March 3rd, 2018, 12:30 PM
I understand, but i guess the reason all these happens is because i also have OCD so it makes me a perfectionist which makes me wanna do everything in a right place..and, if those things arent done in the right place, this is were i get crazy o.o oh well.....

If you genuinely have OCD, then I really do feel for you :flowers: I suffered for many years from childhood right through to young adulthood, and it was difficult enough even with straight hair to not drive myself crazy pulling out hairs that looked or felt wrong, doing and redoing styles until they were perfect, trimming what I perceived to be uneven strands, etc. All through that time I was so grateful I didn't have wavy or straight hair, because I had no idea how anybody coped with bumpy bits when their hair was tied up! So I can really see how difficult it must be to have a wave/curl pattern that doesn't behave perfectly, or doesn't fit your idea of perfect. But honestly, I tell you this as somebody who has lived it, if you can gradually work towards leaving it be, you will see it is okay, and one day, when you get to that point, you will even feel okay about it.

I know it doesn't feel like it, and you probably can't see how that is even possible, but I promise, it is possible. One thing that really helped me to accept my hair (after I had recovered, but I still have perfectionist tendencies) was seeing and reading about all the different beautiful heads of hair here, and reading other people's experiences. I learned that everybody's hair has little quirks and 'imperfections', but overall they are beautiful regardless, and the quirks are part of owning hair! If, in time, you can accept your hair for what it is, you may still not be happy about some of the things it does, but you will be able to tolerate those things.

In your first post, you mention tying braids with elastic bands - do you mean hair ties, or actual rubber bands? Hairties can be damaging, especially if they are tight, but elastic/rubber bands are honestly evil for hair! They will cause damage, and they will rip your ends off. If you are using elastic/rubber bands, please please stop! And if you're using hairties, please don't tie them so tightly - if hair is coming out when you take them out, it is a sure sign something is wrong.

You will get there. It takes time, and you can use this time to try to fight the OCD so that when your hair is longer, you will be able to enjoy it more :flower:

cjk
March 3rd, 2018, 12:40 PM

Then let me suggest refocusing your OCD. Right now you're focused on appearance, on arranging it.

Instead, focus on health and maintenance. Make sure your hair is in perfect condition, no matter what direction it sticks out. Make arranging it your second priority.

Margarita
March 3rd, 2018, 01:00 PM
Thank you MusicalSpoons, i appreciate it :) I do really feel like i have OCD, and not only OCD but also Misophonia >.< To tell the truth, i've started taking homeopathy pills to reduce my OCD crisis when i see something incompleted or something very wrong with my hair. I try to have patience as much as i can, but im a very impatient person who waits until my hair gets longer. OCD really pisses me off and i cant stop doing my hair until i know its in a perfect condition and feeling confidence. I have a bit of hard time with my confidence due to my hair.

ckj Yeah but, in order to stop focusing on my appearance i need first what to do with my OCD, and thats why as i said above im doing homeopathy for this, and it gonna take a long time to heal. Ofcourse i care about my health, i get worried when something feels wrong so i dont have my guard down.

Sorry for interupting again with my curiousity and obssesion but, can you please tell me if these are bald spots or just visible hairline? o.0

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/rosesunderthesky/IMG_20180303_203756_zpsltwgwxqd.jpg (http://s32.photobucket.com/user/rosesunderthesky/media/IMG_20180303_203756_zpsltwgwxqd.jpg.html)

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/rosesunderthesky/IMG_20180303_203804_zpsuiululus.jpg (http://s32.photobucket.com/user/rosesunderthesky/media/IMG_20180303_203804_zpsuiululus.jpg.html)

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/rosesunderthesky/IMG_20180303_203855_zpskybivofk.jpg (http://s32.photobucket.com/user/rosesunderthesky/media/IMG_20180303_203855_zpskybivofk.jpg.html)

lapushka
March 3rd, 2018, 04:15 PM
I think you may be tying your braids too tightly. Bald spots, no, but I see the tension on the part in the second picture.

cjk
March 3rd, 2018, 07:21 PM
ckj Yeah but, in order to stop focusing on my appearance i need first what to do with my OCD, and thats why as i said above im doing homeopathy for this, and it gonna take a long time to heal. Ofcourse i care about my health, i get worried when something feels wrong so i dont have my guard down.

No, I understand. That's not what I said. I said to refocus your OCD...take your focus FROM the appearance and focus, instead, on something else. In this case, making your hair as healthy as possible.

If you're going to obsess on something, underlying health is a better choice anyway.

Glitch
March 3rd, 2018, 08:05 PM
If you genuinely have OCD, then I really do feel for you :flowers: I suffered for many years from childhood right through to young adulthood, and it was difficult enough even with straight hair to not drive myself crazy pulling out hairs that looked or felt wrong, doing and redoing styles until they were perfect, trimming what I perceived to be uneven strands, etc. All through that time I was so grateful I didn't have wavy or straight hair, because I had no idea how anybody coped with bumpy bits when their hair was tied up! So I can really see how difficult it must be to have a wave/curl pattern that doesn't behave perfectly, or doesn't fit your idea of perfect. But honestly, I tell you this as somebody who has lived it, if you can gradually work towards leaving it be, you will see it is okay, and one day, when you get to that point, you will even feel okay about it.

I know it doesn't feel like it, and you probably can't see how that is even possible, but I promise, it is possible. One thing that really helped me to accept my hair (after I had recovered, but I still have perfectionist tendencies) was seeing and reading about all the different beautiful heads of hair here, and reading other people's experiences. I learned that everybody's hair has little quirks and 'imperfections', but overall they are beautiful regardless, and the quirks are part of owning hair! If, in time, you can accept your hair for what it is, you may still not be happy about some of the things it does, but you will be able to tolerate those things.

In your first post, you mention tying braids with elastic bands - do you mean hair ties, or actual rubber bands? Hairties can be damaging, especially if they are tight, but elastic/rubber bands are honestly evil for hair! They will cause damage, and they will rip your ends off. If you are using elastic/rubber bands, please please stop! And if you're using hairties, please don't tie them so tightly - if hair is coming out when you take them out, it is a sure sign something is wrong.

You will get there. It takes time, and you can use this time to try to fight the OCD so that when your hair is longer, you will be able to enjoy it more :flower:

Just wanted to drop in and offer some empathy! I've experienced this way too much over the years, and have often wished for either really straight hair, or curly hair, rather than my unpredictable and uneven waves so I wouldn't always be so concerned about it. As you said though, it's true, it really does get better the more you get used to leaving the hair be. I don't think about it much anymore :)

*Wednesday*
March 3rd, 2018, 09:21 PM
I have had classic for a year, and am now growing back to classic. I wash weekly and diffuse weekly, on cool or warm (just on the brink of that burning temperature, yes: my bad) and I have 0 white dots and 0 splits.

You can't just up and state that it damages. I'm sorry. You can't. There's plenty of people that blow dry (responsibly) and don't see damage from it, I'm sure.

My fault that I meant regarding "heat tools" included flat irons and curling irons which is what I used in conjunction with hot blow dryers. People using all these varieties constantly (I used to use daily) can be surely damaging. I should have defined it further.

Margarita
March 4th, 2018, 02:37 AM
Thank you all for your empathy ^_^ OCD is hard, feeling like losing your mind but actually not losing it. However, obssesion on hair is not the only one that breaks me, but other things too aswell as the most common of washing your hands frequently. I'll try to do my best, but it seems kind of impossible >.<